Nederland Freshman Baseball Class

Just imagine how good they'd be if they had a BASEBALL coach and not some old guy driving a bus. These guys have done what they've done with very little coaching. The little coaching they have had has been in the form of a few bones thrown their way from the varsity coach on a few occasions.... Things like bunt coverage, run-downs, pre-pitch defensive positioning, base running, bunting, patience and approach at the plate... totally ignored. Gorilla baseball only goes so far. JMO

Just imagine how good they'd be if they had a BASEBALL coach and not some old guy driving a bus. These guys have done what they've done with very little coaching. The little coaching they have had has been in the form of a few bones thrown their way from the varsity coach on a few occasions.... Things like bunt coverage, run-downs, pre-pitch defensive positioning, base running, bunting, patience and approach at the plate... totally ignored. Gorilla baseball only goes so far. JMO

Shouldn't they know these things already?

Yes Rounder... they should. But they are having trouble with these things, so wouldn't it make sense to spend some time on these things in practice?

And Proud, my name is Randy Rice.  I AM a volunteer at Babe Ruth and have held several positions there, including coaching a team.  My kid has had the good fortune of playing for some very good coaches throughout the years, myself not one of them, and has learned a great deal about the game from these men.  He has struggled this year... if you have seen him play this year there is no denying that.  If you have seen him play in the past you would also say that his performance this season is not typical.  I have faith that he will come through this with time because I am his dad and that's what dads do... they believe in their kids.  I am just proud that he actually made the team because he is almost a full year younger than most of the kids on the team, and is clearly the smallest.  My post was not about any one kid, but YOU clearly made it about one kid... keep it classy bro!  My post was about the lack of coaching and instruction they are receiving.  The games that they have won this year have been won with their hitting and pitching.  However, with the exception of PNG, the games that they have lost have been the result of not executing some of the things that I mentioned above.  PNG has just outplayed us this season.  Bridge City bunted us to death in two of the games we have played them in this year.  Livingston won the game at their place Tuesday when our guys couldn't execute a run-down and it ended the game.  If you keep getting exposed in these areas, shouldn't you spend some time working on these areas in practice?  I mean, if you cant hit you work on hitting right?  If you can't throw a strike you work on location right?  Running poles and triangles, while excellent for conditioning and in my opinion a must, does nothing to ensure that these mistakes are not made over and over again.  Again... Just MY opinion... ya know, because I know it all. :D

Come introduce yourself next time ya see me Proud.  I look forward to talking baseball with ya pal.

At the Sophomore and JV level coaching doesn't matter too much. We won district both years with coaches not very familiar with baseball. Once in 5A and once in 4A. You learn coverages, etc. from the varsity coach and by working in with varsity whenever possible. Heck we made our own line up some games and nearly went undefeated both years. By high school you have a good handle on the ins and outs of the game. In my opinion sub-varsity games are nearly always won by the team with more talent. It's almost like Sandlot ball. At the varsity level there's much more strategy going on. From setting up pitching rotations to scouting reports, etc. A team with tons of talent can be beaten by top coaches. I can't speak for every school but our sub-varsity used to get plenty of work with varsity in practice. That's where things are learned, not the games.

I Agee with a lot of post on this subject. And through the yrs I have seen its true what ShlyKBMT said! Unfortunately nothing really matters until Varsity. Kinda don't make too much since because these guys will be the ones playing for Varsity soon. My son did play on both the soph & JV levels and those yrs they had great seasons. They had fun! They know the fundamentals of the game by now or they wouldn't be on the team. From what I understand the boys like the coaches on these teams. The parents are the ones scratching their heads. Good luck Soph & Jv teams, you are almost there!

I wouldn't get to excited about the success of your soph/fresh team. If some of the players are so good then why are they not on JV? If an individual is really good, he should be on varsity even. Especially since the varsity is a little thin this year. My experience indicates that kids that start out on the fresh/soph team leave baseball by the time they are seniors

I wouldn't get to excited about the success of your soph/fresh team. If some of the players are so good then why are they not on JV? If an individual is really good, he should be on varsity even. Especially since the varsity is a little thin this year. My experience indicates that kids that start out on the fresh/soph team leave baseball by the time they are seniors

One of the varsity's best players is a freshman. Not many freshman have started at Nederland over the years.

Saw the post and thought there were a lot of freshman on varsity for Nederland. How many freshman are on varsity for Nederland ? If a player is good enough they will be on varsity no matter what class he is. Most teams have 1 or 2 freshman on varsity if they are strong enough some teams have 1 freshman in the line-up. It is hard for a freshman to crack a line-up in a 4A or 5A school, and one that is rich in talent like( Nederland, PNG ) is really hard but if good enough they do. Most schools soph teams are coached by one guy and usually have no asst coach with them and not their primary sport. If they are fortunate they get some practice time with varsity, a diffrent level of coaching as one post mentioned and they will go over situations, also just hit and throw with your kid and get with a top summer program.  That is what gets them ready for the next level. A few schools have some freshman contributing to varsity this year, LaPorte has 2 starting, Kingwood Park has a freshman with 3 hrs, Barbers Hill has 3 freshman on varsity 1 starting and doing very well, New Caney Porter has a freshman in the top 2 pitching rotation, the Woodlands has a pitcher on varsity, it seems that the 2017 class has a lot of talent all over.

Nederland's varsity is thin with players and only has 1 freshman who is a starter. He is good enough to be on the varsity team but there is only 12 players on this team. I am not trying to take anything away from this young man but I would bet if Ned had more depth at pitching with more senior players on this roster then he would more than likey not be a starter but rather riding the pine or playing JV.

Just remember that there were some good senior players who have given baseball up berfore or during their senior year for whatever reason.

Now with that being said the dogs are young and are starting to play together as a team with a goal in mind this second half!

GO DOGS!!

Nederland only has 12 players on varsity ?  Wow,most 4A programs have 18-20 players. Is this normal for Nederland, they are tough every year as far back as I can remember, thought they would have a bunch of kids wanting to get into the program. Same for the freshman on BH, if there were not injuries some would not be there or would not be starting. It is a game of oppurtunities and some have had to step up.