Greatest School Rivalry

Guess things have changed a little bit in Tyler County since I left...only people from Warren that were civil towards me were the ones I went to church with...but that changed a little bit after some of our guys snuck over and painted all the orange outline on their "W"s gold...and drew a certain body part on the field in gas to left it die

Disclaimer: was in no way involved in it...but found out about it real quick when I walked through their gates (Woodville was on a bye)

Lol I do remember that. As well as the attempted stealing of their huge indian mascot that's now in their gym haha

"The Greatest Rivalry". How can you judge such a game? Is it the teams with the most population in the highest classification? Is it the teams that started playing before any others? How can you pin point what really makes a rivalry game the "greatest"? For one thing their has to be some kind of out come other than a win. Can it be one sided in the victory column? Maybe. It has to have some kind of depth, some kind of meaning to it like a district championship, playing spoiler for the playoffs, something more than just a "W", it has to have this more than every now and then, it has to have this all the time. Every year one team could spoil the other team chances at moving on. The one thing I have notice is that in any kind of rivalry it has to have heart. From the fans, from the band, from the cheerleaders, from the players, but most importantly from the game itself. When you can add a long history to it, it makes a classic!!! I know that a rivalry has been renewed for this year and as these games will be played it will add to the classic. In the hearts of every fan there is that one game, one oppoinant that they want to beat more than any other, and that football fans is what makes a rivalry the greatest, that is what makes Texas High School Football the greatest!

"The Greatest Rivalry". How can you judge such a game? Is it the teams with the most population in the highest classification? Is it the teams that started playing before any others? How can you pin point what really makes a rivalry game the "greatest"? For one thing their has to be some kind of out come other than a win. Can it be one sided in the victory column? Maybe. It has to have some kind of depth, some kind of meaning to it like a district championship, playing spoiler for the playoffs, something more than just a "W", it has to have this more than every now and then, it has to have this all the time. Every year one team could spoil the other team chances at moving on. The one thing I have notice is that in any kind of rivalry it has to have heart. From the fans, from the band, from the cheerleaders, from the players, but most importantly from the game itself. When you can add a long history to it, it makes a classic!!! I know that a rivalry has been renewed for this year and as these games will be played it will add to the classic. In the hearts of every fan there is that one game, one oppoinant that they want to beat more than any other, and that football fans is what makes a rivalry the greatest, that is what makes Texas High School Football the greatest!

Or it could be that two teams run the same hwy.. highway 90 to be exact. Thus the hwy 90 shootout. And it could be added that one of those two schools (Crosby) dumped  the head coach and the other(Dayton)picked him up.. And has been winning with that coach ever since.. Except for a couple monsoon games. IJS...  :D

As far as the area: Mid-County Madness and my bias pick Memorial vs Central

statewide in no particular order: Odessa Permian vs Midland Lee (seen 3 times on tape delay), Abilene High vs Abilene Cooper (live once, tape delay twice), Wichita Falls High vs Wichita Falls Rider (attended 3 times), Longview vs Marshall (tape delay once), Lufkin vs Longview (too many to count) and La Porte vs Deer Park (tape delay 3 times)

One of note from back in the day when I was coming up thru HS was Celina vs Pilot Point (small school)

Bulldogs / Indians, Dave Campbells magazine ranked us No. 3 in the State, I think they ranked Odessa Permian / Midland No. 1.  But those two schools are a long way off from each other, here in Ned and Port Neches/Groves we face each other every day of our lives, you lose this game and you gotta face the music from the other fans all year long.  When you're on the winning end nothing is finer, lose and it is close to someone dying in your family (NO JOKE)  The atomosphere at a Ned/PN/G game is like no other and those who would argue otherwise all I can say " it's a Bulldog/Indian thing you just would'nt understand."

This comment was brought to you by the No. 1 rivalry in Texas, and since no other state measures up to Texas I guess we're No. 1 in the Nation.

Bulldogs / Indians, Dave Campbells magazine ranked us No. 3 in the State, I think they ranked Odessa Permian / Midland No. 1. But those two schools are a long way off from each other, here in Ned and Port Neches/Groves we face each other every day of our lives, you lose this game and you gotta face the music from the other fans all year long. When you're on the winning end nothing is finer, lose and it is close to someone dying in your family (NO JOKE) The atomosphere at a Ned/PN/G game is like no other and those who would argue otherwise all I can say " it's a Bulldog/Indian thing you just would'nt understand."
This comment was brought to you by the No. 1 rivalry in Texas, and since no other state measures up to Texas I guess we're No. 1 in the Nation.

The game between Ned and PNG is like nothing I've seen before.

Bulldogs / Indians, Dave Campbells magazine ranked us No. 3 in the State, I think they ranked Odessa Permian / Midland No. 1.  But those two schools are a long way off from each other, here in Ned and Port Neches/Groves we face each other every day of our lives, you lose this game and you gotta face the music from the other fans all year long.  When you're on the winning end nothing is finer, lose and it is close to someone dying in your family (NO JOKE)  The atomosphere at a Ned/PN/G game is like no other and those who would argue otherwise all I can say " it's a Bulldog/Indian thing you just would'nt understand."

Nope, right up the road from each other and them people work together, trust me I know, that area turning into something big cause of the oil boom, it aint like it was back years ago. B)

I forgot about TJ. I know some Alumni, who have kids at PN-G. Still refuse to wear purple...lol

True story: My parents (both TJ alumni) named me with a first and middle name with T.J. as my initials. As a toddler, my brother and sister (both PN-G attendees and later graduates) thought the best way to get my dad back would be to teach me something funny to tell my dad. On the big game night (PN-G vs TJ), my dad came home from work ready to go watch the big game and my sister perform at halftime. I ran to the door to greet my dad chanting "no way...TJ, no way...TJ. We still get a laugh about that today.

PN-G went on to beat the yellow jackets that night 30-12 on their way to their state championship 1975 season.

I see they have yet to add that rivalry.

1. Ned vs Vidor (black and gold bowl, battle of the military marching bands)

2. Png vs Ned (mid county madness)

Come on eagle you gotta add the Vidor vs Ned game.

When only one side considers it a rivalry, it ain't a rivalry...and it ain't a rivalry when one side wins 90% of the time over the course of history either...sorry twocents, vidor is not Nederland's rival...png is and always will be