Nederland @ WOS scrimmage

[quote name="outanup" post="1425213" timestamp="1376778709"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=113378.msg1425211#msg1425211 date=1376778536]
I have a contact that was at the game that will give an unbiased opinion.  I want to see what information he has...
[/quote] Worried much?  ;) ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]...Please....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Griff. Both teams are better after that physical scrimmage. Ned/WOS is always a hard fought and usually close game. Of course things on both sides would have been much different if it was a real game. Game plans, starters, scouting, play calling etc. I think both teams have a lot to look forward to and will make playoff runs. There is plenty to work on for both teams as well.

[quote name="griff" post="1425218" timestamp="1376779272"]
[quote author=ram0524 link=topic=113378.msg1425155#msg1425155 date=1376765193]
[quote author=orangecoog link=topic=113378.msg1425135#msg1425135 date=1376760180]
The story line should be: Big 4A gets schooled by a small 3a. Nederland always talks big but never delivers.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but Ned's starters did outscore WOS 26-13..
[/quote]

We go through this every year in August.

Nah, of course you're not trying to stir up anything.  ::) Jake had the right take on this. Both teams had a good showing and some building blocks to start the season thanks to last night's matchup. Still...

...it was a scrimmage. WO-S did not play their "1st team" against Nederland's 1st team. I know you're looking for a moral victory of sorts to pat yourself on the back as if Nederland "won" something. But, be real. It was a scrimmage. There were no kickoff or punt returns. Special teams are part of the game. WO-S was auditioning two non-starters at QB. The starting tailback, who we expect to have a big season, played defense most of the time. We moved around several players to different positions on defense because we have only two starters back from last year. The guys you saw with white helmets instead of silver ones...at least some of those will be on JV this year. The coaches did not have to prepare a game plan for this. Maybe Nederland played their first team in the first 3 quarters and not in the 4th. Big deal. It doesn't matter. I'm sure Nederland's coaching staff were experimenting with at least a few players, as well.

Sum it all up...it was a scrimmage. WO-S had one more point than Nederland. So what. This was an audition for the coaches to evaluate players. A real game would have looked different because of all the items I just listed. Sorry if you feel bad about "losing," but you didn't "lose" anything, and WO-S didn't "win" anything. If WO-S were to play Nederland in a real game, I like WO-S' chances, but we won't get to see that. Both teams had a productive glorified practice last night and we'll never know who would win a real game. I'm content with that. I'm looking forward to more scrimmage work next week against Vidor, then the real thing begins against LC-M.

I expect Nederland to win their district. Best wishes to you guys.
[/quote]

Excellent post griff, excellent post.

[quote name="jake94" post="1425217" timestamp="1376779181"]
Here is the report you will probably get. Nederland could not run the ball in 1st half. Pass blocking was much better than run blocking. Our QB started slow, but once he got comfortable he threw very well. He feels the pocket well and prefers to throw it vs running it. The Ned WRs are very big on the outside, both over 6'2 and both over 200 lbs. There are 5 guys that I think will catch a bunch of balls and they all have great hands. The FG kicker is top notch and will be important in close games. The front 4 on defense is very solid especially the interior 2. Linebackers don't have varsity experience but one of them looked really good last night. The secondary looked a little shaky at times and we missed some tackles but WOS speed is hard to simulate in practice. That's all I got.
[/quote] 8)

[quote name="griff" post="1425218" timestamp="1376779272"]
[quote author=ram0524 link=topic=113378.msg1425155#msg1425155 date=1376765193]
[quote author=orangecoog link=topic=113378.msg1425135#msg1425135 date=1376760180]
The story line should be: Big 4A gets schooled by a small 3a. Nederland always talks big but never delivers.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but Ned's starters did outscore WOS 26-13..
[/quote]

We go through this every year in August.

Nah, of course you're not trying to stir up anything.  ::) Jake had the right take on this. Both teams had a good showing and some building blocks to start the season thanks to last night's matchup. Still...

...it was a scrimmage. WO-S did not play their "1st team" against Nederland's 1st team. I know you're looking for a moral victory of sorts to pat yourself on the back as if Nederland "won" something. But, be real. It was a scrimmage. There were no kickoff or punt returns. Special teams are part of the game. WO-S was auditioning two non-starters at QB. The starting tailback, who we expect to have a big season, played defense most of the time. We moved around several players to different positions on defense because we have only two starters back from last year. The guys you saw with white helmets instead of silver ones...at least some of those will be on JV this year. The coaches did not have to prepare a game plan for this. Maybe Nederland played their first team in the first 3 quarters and not in the 4th. Big deal. It doesn't matter. I'm sure Nederland's coaching staff were experimenting with at least a few players, as well.

Sum it all up...it was a scrimmage. WO-S had one more point than Nederland. So what. This was an audition for the coaches to evaluate players. A real game would have looked different because of all the items I just listed. [b]Sorry if you feel bad about "losing,"[/b] but you didn't "lose" anything, and WO-S didn't "win" anything. If WO-S were to play Nederland in a real game, I like WO-S' chances, but we won't get to see that. Both teams had a productive glorified practice last night and we'll never know who would win a real game. I'm content with that. I'm looking forward to more scrimmage work next week against Vidor, then the real thing begins against LC-M.

I expect Nederland to win their district. Best wishes to you guys.
[/quote]

I actually feel good about the scrimmage. WOS is very athletic and tough. I was not expecting to much from Ned being their first action and fresh faces.

WOS is a very good team that should make some noise come playoff time. Good luck to them the rest of the year.

Left one thing out. Those 2 big WRs also play safety and are very good. Each had an INT and both can lay the lumber. Also, Ned backup QB is very calm and composed and had nice touch on the ball. I would have liked to have seen him throw to the first stringers, but he only played in 4th q.

[quote name="jake94" post="1425224" timestamp="1376780079"]
Left one thing out. Those 2 big WRs also play safety and are very good. Each had an INT and both can lay the lumber. Also, Ned backup QB is very calm and composed and had nice touch on the ball. I would have liked to have seen him throw to the first stringers, but he only played in 4th q.
[/quote]

Seay and Kimler are two playmakers that are very important to Ned's success this year.

Seay and Kimler are names that will give defenses nightmares with their size and agility and good hands.
They will give offenses headaches with their ability to defend and jump routes and make those picks.
Krautz was also another bright spot on kick off, can't wait to see him return one.
With the passing attack, the running game might be a force to be reckoned with.  Like I said, defense didn't miss much and the offense showed some bright spots last night that might turn some heads this season. 
#19 took some hard hits and bounced back like nothing. 

Two major factors Nederland has going for them is 1) the kicking game and 2) the sure hands of their receivers, which is something Nederland has a reputation for over the years. They caught just about everything thrown to them last night, even when good coverage was applied.

[quote name="jake94" post="1425138" timestamp="1376760604"]
[/quote]

If you were there and that is what you saw then I need to get you a pair of glasses. It was a very positive scrimmage for both teams in my opinion.
[/quote]

"It was a very positive scrimmage for both teams in my opinion."  This may be the best post on all 8 pages.

[quote name="jake94" post="1425214" timestamp="1376778728"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=113378.msg1425211#msg1425211 date=1376778536]
I have a contact that was at the game that will give an unbiased opinion.  I want to see what information he has...
[/quote]

Central's OC was there. He sat right by me.
[/quote]

Central's head coach was there.

[quote name="td" post="1425312" timestamp="1376829633"]
[quote author=jake94 link=topic=113378.msg1425214#msg1425214 date=1376778728]
[/quote]

Central's OC was there. He sat right by me.
[/quote]

Central's head coach was there.
[/quote] 8)

Just a comment about first team and second teams Friday night.  Ned had 53 guys suited out and when the season starts their will probably be 43-44 on the varsity. The other 9-10 will drop back to JV. WOS on the other hand had 32 guys suited up...so its hard to come up with a complete 2nd team...WOS had at least half of their starters in the scrimmage at all times..right up to the end

[quote name="Knoddy1" post="1425334" timestamp="1376836524"]
Just a comment about first team and second teams Friday night.  Ned had 53 guys suited out and when the season starts their will probably be 43-44 on the varsity. The other 9-10 will drop back to JV. WOS on the other hand had 32 guys suited up...so its hard to come up with a complete 2nd team...WOS had at least half of their starters in the scrimmage at all times..right up to the end
[/quote]

In mid-August, WO-S does not have a completed 1st team or 2nd team. We never do. During Friday's scrimmage, the coaches moved players around to try them at various positions. Because of 1) our lower numbers, 2) that some will play multiple positions and go both ways, and 3) the coaches demands on players to earn their spots, this method is necessary. They do this every year. This is how WO-S coaches treat a scrimmage. In a real game, it would be different. Also, at least some of the white helmet players will be on JV.

[quote name="kparkfootball" post="1425444" timestamp="1376860256"]
Nederland sounds like they have the best def. line in the area?  How big are the front line?  How big are their rec. Kimler and Seay?

It sounds like the Washington kid is the best def. line in the area.  He is the one going to AM?
[/quote]One of Nederlands offensive coaches said that their first offense cant run against that d-line!  Big!

It is no secret that WOS stacks the box and counts on their dbs to shutdown the pass man on man.  The fact that Nederland didn't run that effectively in this scrimmage is of no concern against this scheme and the personnel it brings.  Wasn't there, but I would guess all Nederland hit in the running game was a few quick traps.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86