High School coaching salaries ...should they make more? How about the players?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about any of you, but I played highschool ball under 3 coaches. it was simply win district or move on. no time to build a program, one year....playoffs or bust. and that was when only 2 teams went.

that being said, I see coaching salaries being more than teachers because their job is more at stake. jmo...

High School coaching salaries ...should they make more?  No, there's way too much emphasis as it is on sports in grade school. Imagine what we'd be if only half the same emphasis and pressure were put on reading, writing, math and science. This is not college where if they win, it could mean millions to their schools.

How about the players? I have never said this on a message board before, but dumb question. See answer above. These are children and sports should ALWAYS be secondary to education because the chances that any of them will play professionally are way too slim.

[quote name="JB94" post="1413735" timestamp="1371475270"]
High School coaching salaries ...should they make more?  No, there's way too much emphasis as it is on sports in grade school. Imagine what we'd be if only half the same emphasis and pressure were put on reading, writing, math and science. This is not college where if they win, it could mean millions to their schools.

How about the players? I have never said this on a message board before, but dumb question. See answer above. [b]These are children and sports should ALWAYS be secondary to education because the chances that any of them will play professionally are way too slim.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with you, but some without sports would not be able to further their education...  I do not think its about playing professionally, but being able to get a better education through sports...

I honestly think football coaches get compensated pretty fairly in Texas, considering the level of not only time they spend with the kids. 

Head coaches for example are generally making between 75-115K.  Acting as not only a head football coach/campus coordinator (at 5a)...at lower levels also teaching classes.  During football season they are putting in 60-80 hours a week.  Not to mention they are generally working 2-3 weeks during the summer, when most of the assistant coaches have a 10 month contract. 

No i think their is no case of an under paid coaches.  A lot of time is spent investing in these kids in ways that can transcend the classroom from a civic perspective.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1413684" timestamp="1371434791"]
I don't know about any of you, but I played highschool ball under 3 coaches. [b]it was simply win district or move on[/b]. no time to build a program, one year....playoffs or bust. and that was when only 2 teams went.

that being said, I see coaching salaries being more than teachers because their job is more at stake. jmo...
[/quote]

I see why you had 3 coaches in 3 years. :'(

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1413736" timestamp="1371476113"]
[quote author=JB94 link=topic=112483.msg1413735#msg1413735 date=1371475270]

How about the players? I have never said this on a message board before, but dumb question. See answer above. [b]These are children and sports should ALWAYS be secondary to education because the chances that any of them will play professionally are way too slim.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with you, but some without sports would not be able to further their education...  I do not think its about playing professionally, but being able to get a better education through sports...
[/quote]

Probably hundreds of thousands that got their education through collegiate athletics.

[quote name="JB94" post="1413735" timestamp="1371475270"]

How about the players? I have never said this on a message board before, but dumb question. See answer above. These are children and sports should ALWAYS be secondary to education because the chances that any of them will play professionally [color=red](or at any other level beyond HS) [/color]are way too slim.
[/quote]

I agree!

[quote]Teachers and Coaches pay levels should be performance based. Like most jobs.[/quote]

1st - how do you judge performance in a classroom? Lets even the playing field...every student in the school must be allowed on the team, and every kid must get equal playing time...like in the classroom

2nd - IF parents would work with their kids at home on academics as they do sports this wouldn't be an issue.

3rd - there's a reason why they are called STUDENT athletes in that order, how does the commercial go...400 some odd thousand NCAA athletes (more in HS) and MOST of us will be going pro in something other than sports...

4th - one of the dumbest things I've ever heard was that sports give opportunities to some kids to get an education that otherwise wouldn't even stay in school....priorities are JACKED UP! from parents, teachers, coaches alike, if this mid set is whats being taught or depended on.

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1413798" timestamp="1371486351"]
That's still a lot of kids even at 3%.

Agree that a sport should not take precedence over an education.  Just look what happened to Buddy Garrity.  He's practically drooling on himself.
[/quote] Its spitting on your overrated football program that cant win a 2nd round playoff game.  ;)

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1413838" timestamp="1371489578"]
Check the resume. [b] No losses (that count) last year[/b] ...and still rolling.  4A better pray GTown's team flunked and are returning this year.  That aside ...consider yourselves WARNED.
[/quote]

LOL whether you count the loss or not... UIL did... and after it is all said and done... thats all that matters...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1413839" timestamp="1371489648"]
[quote author=DemDAWGS! link=topic=112483.msg1413838#msg1413838 date=1371489578]
Check the resume. [b] No losses (that count) last year[/b] ...and still rolling.  4A better pray GTown's team flunked and are returning this year.  That aside ...consider yourselves WARNED.
[/quote]

LOL whether you count the loss or not... UIL did... and after it is all said and done... thats all that matters...
[/quote] Scoreboard dont lie either.  ;)

38-21, 41-19.  ;D

[quote name="Craig S" post="1413757" timestamp="1371479992"]

How about the players? I have never said this on a message board before, but dumb question. See answer above. These are children and sports should ALWAYS be secondary to education because the chances that any of them will play professionally [color=red](or at any other level beyond HS) [/color]are way too slim.
[/quote]

I agree!

[quote]Teachers and Coaches pay levels should be performance based. Like most jobs.[/quote]

1st - how do you judge performance in a classroom? Lets even the playing field...every student in the school must be allowed on the team, and every kid must get equal playing time...like in the classroom

2nd - IF parents would work with their kids at home on academics as they do sports this wouldn't be an issue.

3rd - there's a reason why they are called STUDENT athletes in that order, how does the commercial go...400 some odd thousand NCAA athletes (more in HS) and MOST of us will be going pro in something other than sports...
[b]
4th - one of the dumbest things I've ever heard was that sports give opportunities to some kids to get an education that otherwise wouldn't even stay in school....priorities are JACKED UP! from parents, teachers, coaches alike, if this mid set is whats being taught or depended on[/b].
[/quote]That is a stupid statement if you live in The Woodlands or somewhere else where that type of stuff isn't an issue, I bet the folks ay Ozen or other places similar have a different view. I couldn't accept a scholarship offer because of grades so that tells you about my high school, I made the Dean's list my last semester of college and the only reason I got to that point was because I had to stay eligible to play. Same can be said for motivating a kid to make good grades in high school to even be able to receive a scholarship. I'm a democrat though so my views are probably wrong on this board. :(

History shows the overwhelming majority of our Nations top leaders, as well as elite Forbes 500 CEO's, played sports and learned valuable life lessons through sports. Bottom line is you take a kid that has never played sports and only hit the books hard, then take a student that has busted his butt as a member of a team and also made good grades, the student athlete will be the better leader and professional every time. Without sports and competition a person will never have that drive and passion that has truly built America. JFK, FDR, Patton, Schwarzkopf, Powell and even the great Bill Gates all played sports. Sports seem to be the "X" factor in life, separating the weird-o from the great American. It's not enough to just be smart anymore, you have to have the intangibles of Leadership, Dependability, Trustworthiness, Initiative, Responsibility and Respect. Let's remember it's our Coaches and not our math teachers sharpening our kids with the intangibles I listed above.   

[quote name="cougar14" post="1413855" timestamp="1371490402"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=112483.msg1413757#msg1413757 date=1371479992]

[/quote]

I agree!

[b]
4th - one of the dumbest things I've ever heard was that sports give opportunities to some kids to get an education that otherwise wouldn't even stay in school....priorities are JACKED UP! from parents, teachers, coaches alike, if this mid set is whats being taught or depended on[/b].
[/quote]That is a stupid statement if you live in The Woodlands or somewhere else where that type of stuff isn't an issue, I bet the folks ay Ozen or other places similar have a different view. [b]I couldn't accept a scholarship offer because of grades so that tells you about my high school, [/b]I made the Dean's list my last semester of college and [b]the only reason I got to that point was because I had to stay eligible to play.[/b] Same can be said for motivating a kid to make good grades in high school to even be able to receive a scholarship. I'm a democrat though so my views are probably wrong on this board. :(
[/quote]

Not because of the HS you went to....and if that was your only motivation...then your PARENTS failed you...or maybe YOU can take accountability for your own laziness or lack of motivation to just be a better more educated person.

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1413741" timestamp="1371477917"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=112483.msg1413684#msg1413684 date=1371434791]
I don't know about any of you, but I played highschool ball under 3 coaches. [b]it was simply win district or move on[/b]. no time to build a program, one year....playoffs or bust. and that was when only 2 teams went.

[/quote]

I see why you had 3 coaches in 3 years. :'(
[/quote]
really, because you have no idea where I played or what our records were.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1413932" timestamp="1371493771"]
History shows the overwhelming majority of our Nations top leaders, as well as elite Forbes 500 CEO's, played sports and learned valuable life lessons through sports. Bottom line is you take a kid that has never played sports and only hit the books hard,[size=14pt][b] then take a student that has busted his butt as a member of a team [color=red]and also made good grades[/color], the student athlete will be the better leader and professional every time.[/b][/size] Without sports and competition a person will never have that drive and passion that has truly built America. JFK, FDR, Patton, Schwarzkopf, Powell and even the great Bill Gates all played sports. Sports seem to be the "X" factor in life, separating the weird-o from the great American. It's not enough to just be smart anymore, you have to have the intangibles of Leadership, Dependability, Trustworthiness, Initiative, Responsibility and Respect. Let's remember it's our Coaches and not our math teachers sharpening our kids with the intangibles I listed above. 
[/quote]

absolutely....my argument is to be a STUDENT athlete which agrees with and supports your stance. I have NOTHING against athletics...I played college baseball, my daughter will be attending Sam Houston for track....but she didn't depend on SPORTS (nor did I) and it is NOT the means to the end...she is an HONOR STUDENT FIRST....

Whether its right or not Craig, there are a lot of HS students that would not finish HS if not for a sport.  No one is saying you are wrong about the Parents Failing them, what they are saying is that HS Coaches often help these students to become productive members of society when others have failed them, thus they are just as important as teachers.

[quote name="badndn" post="1413996" timestamp="1371501937"]
Whether its right or not Craig, there are a lot of HS students that would not finish HS if not for a sport.  No one is saying you are wrong about the Parents Failing them, what they are saying is that HS Coaches often help these students to become productive members of society when others have failed them, thus they are just as important as teachers.
[/quote]I agree 100%. If most kids don't have a sport, they don't have that extra incentive. Take away sports and the graduation percentage drops big time.

[quote name="Craig S" post="1413773" timestamp="1371483512"]
I just looked up some numbers.

less than 3% of HS athletes play at the college level...and less than .25% go pro....a terrible investment by any other standard.
[/quote]

Well if that's what we're going to base this argument on...

I just looked up some numbers too.  Only 23% of jobs in the country actually require a college degree.  Want to talk about terrible investments?..  What is the percentage of kids that will go pro in History or English Language Arts?  What about the number of kids that will be a "professional" using Algebra? 

I mean if we're going to discuss investing in stuff, then we need to get rid of sports altogether (because there is only a .25% of actually making money in sports).  We need to take 1 out of every 4 students and put them through college readiness classes, and take the other 3 and put them through vocational and job skills classes.  That will also save us some money that we waste on core teachers...since they won't go pro.

Also, how much money is being wasted on all these tests?  Lets get rid of all of it.  I mean, since it has no bearing on getting into college.  All you have to do is make good grades at a JC then transfer.  Come to think of it....we need to just make a list of all these wasted investments and petition to the state to get it taken care of.

[quote name="Craig S" post="1413757" timestamp="1371479992"]

[/quote]

I agree!

4th - one of the dumbest things I've ever heard was that sports give opportunities to some kids to get an education that otherwise wouldn't even stay in school....priorities are JACKED UP! from parents, teachers, coaches alike, if this mid set is whats being taught or depended on.
[/quote]
Test Scores
good teachers can overcome
Education is important
Never said we should give more priority to sports. Both professions should be evaluated on their own merits.

I know this thought could be a little extreme, but what if high school sports were cut completely and kids had to resort to select league (AAU or USSSA) to play he sport they love. I know this won't ever happen but it would save tax payers money and the focus would strictly be on education at the school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder