Larry Haynes named new AD/HC at Lumberton

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1407501" timestamp="1369316447"]
[quote author=utfan06 link=topic=112129.msg1407310#msg1407310 date=1369265491]
[quote author=thebighornet link=topic=112129.msg1407264#msg1407264 date=1369260833]
Hardin actually made the play offs in Coach Haynes first two years finshing 9-3 in his first season.  His offense led by Myles Taylor put up 520 yards passing in a game against EC.  Unfortunately, due to lack of defense, Hardin lost the game 53-46.  They averaged 39 points a game that year but gave up an average of 41 points a game.  If they have some defense to go along with the offense that he will bring, Lumberton should be ok.
[/quote]
Big difference in 2A and 4A
[/quote]

It looks to me like he is saying his offense wont work at the 4A level, but then you read in a later post that he had 5 district championships and 4 undefeated seasons at the 5A level. It looks like thats exactly what hes saying.
[/quote]

UTFan06, what does your post about 'big difference in 2A and 4A'  mean.  Are you saying that what works at 2A doesn't work at 4A?  Are you saying that there are better defenses in 4A and that the offense won't work?  Is the field dimensions different, play with a different size ball or do they use a running clock in 2A?    Other than enrollment, what are we talking about here?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a big difference between the kind of football played at the 2A level, and the 4A football played at Lumberton. The problem is that the 4A football played at Vidor, Ned, PNG etc. is much different than 2A football. Haynes was probably a mistake, but we will see. Maybe he will surprise me. Look for Lumbertons discipline within their program to plummet. If they can overcome that and the fact that they will play NO defense, they might be ok.

[quote name="Law Dog" post="1406972" timestamp="1369230600"]
With all due respect to Coach Haynes, this sure looks like a placeholder-type hire.  Bring in an older, respected guy to right the ship and upgrade things a bit and then try to attract someone in two or three years that will hopefully be a long-term solution.  I'm not criticizing, and that may be what the situation called for, but that is how this looks from the outside.
[/quote]
Seems to me like you are giving Lumberton Admin too much credit for having a long term strategy.  I don't think they look out further than the end of the week in most cases.  This is a hire that will pacify a certain contingent, for now.

I was planning on asking this anyway.  But since you stated a few things I figured now's a good time.
Who on the list of applicants would have been a better choice for Lumberton?  This is open for anyone top answer.

[quote name="Scatright" post="1407610" timestamp="1369326204"]
I don't think there is a big difference between the kind of football played at the 2A level, and the 4A football played at Lumberton. The problem is that the 4A football played at Vidor, Ned, PNG etc. is much different than 2A football. Haynes was probably a mistake, but we will see. Maybe he will surprise me. Look for Lumbertons discipline within their program to plummet. If they can overcome that and the fact that they will play NO defense, they might be ok.
[/quote]

[quote name="Scatright" post="1407610" timestamp="1369326204"]
[/quote]

I dont usually post on here, but I played for Larry Haynes and have defended him on here once before when people claimed his program was ran without discipline. The man has taken every job he's ever had at schools that have never won ever and makes them into winners, how is this possible without discipline. He preached to us about responsibility and the importance of being a man and a father and forever changed my life because i never had any one teach me that before coach. Take it from someone who played for Coach Haynes, and not an idiot from HULL who gets his info from hear say, Coach Haynes believes in discipline and preaches it. I hate morons who try to attack a mans character and integrity for no reason. Get a life scat right and try to get outta the sink hole

Well put JG, i cant stand people who bash coaches without any idea of what they truly stand for or what they are all about. You people arent in the athletics class and you arent at the practices so how can you possibly know what a coach is all about. Nice to see former players stick up for their coaches

[quote name=""Benchwarmer"" post="1407734" timestamp="1369335248"]
Scat doesn't have a clue he's probably never even stepped on a football field
[/quote]Scat actually was a good football player at HD. He was a freshman when I was a senior. I agree with Scat, Haynes is a good Coach, just not great. If you want to entertain the crowd and score 40 points, you got your man. Just don't expect to be a playoff contender.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1407803" timestamp="1369347079"]
[quote author="Benchwarmer" link=topic=112129.msg1407734#msg1407734 date=1369335248]
Scat doesn't have a clue he's probably never even stepped on a football field
[/quote]Scat actually was a good football player at HD. He was a freshman when I was a senior. I agree with Scat, Haynes is a good Coach, just not great. If you want to entertain the crowd and score 40 points, you got your man. Just don't expect to be a playoff contender.
[/quote] If Lumberton doesnt develop a good defense it doesnt matter how many points they put up on offense per game.

I'm sure scat was a good football player. I personally can not say if he was are not. Because I do not know him and it wouldn't be fair for me to say that he wasn't. My point I'm trying to make is that Larry Haynes is a great coach and unless you or scat really know him as a coach wouldn't it be unfair to say otherwise. Maybe there are a few areas he could improve on but over all the man is a very good coach

Buddy Garrity it does matter how many points you score  if you you can't put #'s on the board on the offense side of the ball what are the chances that your team will be successful  but I do agree with the fact that you do need to have some what of a defense

[quote name=""Benchwarmer"" post="1407812" timestamp="1369351550"]
Buddy Garrity it does matter how many points you score  if you you can't put #'s on the board on the offense side of the ball what are the chances that your team will be successful  but I do agree with the fact that you do need to have some what of a defense
[/quote] Sorry,  i've seen too many WO-S games in my day.  :P

[quote name="RaiderGirl92" post="1407872" timestamp="1369360079"]
[quote author="Benchwarmer" link=topic=112129.msg1407870#msg1407870 date=1369359919]
I don't thinks so
[/quote]

He told me at work that he is the quarterback again and he even put his two weeks in at work so he can focus on football.
[/quote]. Oh ok

I don't think the issue is Larry Haynes hire as the coach, his track record is impeccable. The point of most is whether this was a long term project for the Raiders (i.e Jeff Mathews in Vidor) or was it to pacify a certain element within the Lumberton school system. I look at HJ's hire of Dubois and see long term...I don't see Haynes as long term for the Raiders.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1407906" timestamp="1369362564"]
I don't think the issue is Larry Haynes hire as the coach, his track record is impeccable. The point of most is whether this was a long term project for the Raiders (i.e Jeff Mathews in Vidor) or was it to pacify a certain element within the Lumberton school system. I look at HJ's hire of Dubois and see long term...I don't see Haynes as long term for the Raiders.
[/quote]

I believe Hayne's tenure all hinges on if he can take his 140+ wins and add to it in Lumberton on a consistent basis... and if the community gets behind him and supports him and his teams.... the kids hear what they hear... and whether  you want them to feel it or not what the community/parents think of the coach eats on the kids... the way i have always described attitude to my kids and kids I coached goes as follows...

If you take 1 guy and he starts digging a hole in the ground and that is your bad attitude eventually the entire team will end up in that hole... if you build up your team from a mole hill to a mountain and you stand on top of that mountain that is a positive... so don't go digging any holes... don't talk down about your team... don't talk down about the players on your team be a leader and help the ones that need help... and do your best... don't give 110% dont give 101% give 100% and strive each day to make your 100% better then it was yesterday... because when you step over your 100% you are playing above your means... and that is when mistakes happen... that is when attitudes turn and that is when you begin to knock down your mountain and grab your shovel and start your hole.... don't dig ditches... build mountains! 100% every play every day... not 90 not 95 100% every play every day!!! you play how you practice... if you go 50% in practice against someone who isn't as good as you  then he isn't getting any better... if all he sees if 50% of you in practice and then gets in the game the game blows him away because he doesn't react fast enough because he hasn't seen that type speed before....

I could go on all night long... any of you young men on any team reading this ... remember your coaches only have a certain amount of time with you each day of each week to prepare you... take the initiative and prepare yourself... extra time in the film room... weight room... get your Oline together and work on your blocking schemes away from school... knowledge is power.... use IT! QBs get your RBs and WRs and run routes... practice pitches.. hand offs... fakes... you don't have to have the coaches there... make your self better make your team better... make each other better....

[quote name=""Benchwarmer"" post="1407811" timestamp="1369350967"]
I'm sure scat was a good football player. I personally can not say if he was are not. Because I do not know him and it wouldn't be fair for me to say that he wasn't. My point I'm trying to make is that Larry Haynes is a great coach and unless you or scat really know him as a coach wouldn't it be unfair to say otherwise. Maybe there are a few areas he could improve on but over all the man is a very good coach
[/quote]Yeah, we said he was good. lol. He ain't G.A. Moore. lol

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1407493" timestamp="1369315753"]
HAHA, what idiots, commenting on the [b]guy who has more wins than any active coach in SETX right now[/b] as if he has just got his start in Hardin and hasnt been to the big time.
[/quote]

Larry Neumann still holds that title right now.....

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I certainly didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion about whether or not I was a good football player!  I probably couldn't even remember how to pad a pair of pants these days, so that is a moot point. 

I have had many conversations with Coach Haynes.  He is a good man, and a good offensive coach.  He lacks a lot on the defensive side of the ball, and I think even he would admit that.  I have seen his Hardin program crumble due to discipline issues.  I work with a guy who played for him at Crosby and told me the same thing happened there due to discipline issues.  That is why I have formed the opinion I have. You don't have to agree with it, but I feel it is justified. 

I wish him luck.  I really do.  I just kinda think a 4A program, with recent success, in a great town could've done a little better.  That's all.  I hope Ltown proves me wrong.

Speaking to the QB position, or any position, I've been around sports long enough to know that with a new coach, EVERY position is open.  Lumberton has some starters from last year that are returning, so their names will be at the top of the list, but nobody should know right now who Coach Haynes will start at any position.  And that's how it should be.  You want those kids working their butts off for the next few months trying to be the starter for Week 1.  Then you want them fighting each week trying to take that spot from the guy that beat them out.  Lumberton has some competitive under classmen who are going to give some older kids a run for their money.  It will make everyone better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder