Star football player turns down D1 scholarship to become a rapper

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1404922" timestamp="1368653791"]
Well, at least he will never regret not pursuing his rap career 40 years from now ;)
[/quote]In three years he'll be 20 or 21 and if he still wants to play football I'm sure there would be opportunities to walk on somewhere. Believe it or not it's pretty common place for kids to do music while in college , it's not weird to see makeshift studios in dorms and apartments. This guy was undoubtedly pretty good and probably got a handsome advance from the producer that requested his services. I guess he thinks a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Look at it this way, his chances of succeeding in rap are about the same as making it in the nfl, cause either way I don't think he was going to stay eligible by going to class.  Making rap videos, smoking weed and chasing girls all night can be a heavy load to carry along with 15 hours of college, or so I've heard.

At least this way, he is freeing up that spot on the team for someone who really wants it and hopefully will take advantage of it.  But good luck to Da Bull and the rest of his posse.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1404935" timestamp="1368655175"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=111989.msg1404922#msg1404922 date=1368653791]
Well, at least he will never regret not pursuing his rap career 40 years from now ;)
[/quote]In three years he'll be 20 or 21 and if he still wants to play football I'm sure there would be opportunities to walk on somewhere. Believe it or not it's pretty common place for kids to do music while in college , it's not weird to see makeshift studios in dorms and apartments. This guy was undoubtedly pretty good and probably got a handsome advance from the producer that requested his services. I guess he thinks a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
[/quote]
in three years he could also be out of shape, heavier, slower and broke because no one bought in 100% to his rap career. then what? passing up a scholarship and a chance to further ones education is stupid.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1404962" timestamp="1368661565"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=111989.msg1404935#msg1404935 date=1368655175]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=111989.msg1404922#msg1404922 date=1368653791]
[/quote]
in three years he could also be out of shape, heavier, slower and broke because no one bought in 100% to his rap career. then what? passing up a scholarship and a chance to further ones education is stupid.
[/quote]I guess it's stupid to leave early to go to the NBA, NFL or MLB too? What do you actually go to college for? To get a degree so you can make 75k at a desk if you're lucky? Guys are by that with a wrench and a lot less stress. Fact of the matter is he could have went to Michigan St. and maybe sat on the bench for free while he gets smarter or take a shot at his dream for which he's probably starting to receive income. Will he get famous, maybe not but he doesn't have to. If he becomes relatively popular locally like some of the Houston artist he can make 150-250k a year very easily. If that doesn't work he can always go try to get a degree and make that 75. 

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1404977" timestamp="1368663596"]
I bet his daddy is proud!!!  ;)
[/quote]Would it have been different if he skipped college to take plant job making good money as an operator? Daddy might not be around and they could actually need the money.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1404984" timestamp="1368664378"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111989.msg1404962#msg1404962 date=1368661565]
[/quote]
[/quote][b]I guess it's stupid to leave early to go to the NBA, NFL or MLB too?[/b] What do you actually go to college for? To get a degree so you can make 75k at a desk if you're lucky? Guys are by that with a wrench and a lot less stress. Fact of the matter is he could have went to Michigan St. and maybe sat on the bench for free while he gets smarter or take a shot at his dream for which he's probably starting to receive income. Will he get famous, maybe not but he doesn't have to. If he becomes relatively popular locally like some of the Houston artist he can make 150-250k a year very easily. If that doesn't work he can always go try to get a degree and make that 75.
[/quote]
that's not even comparable to this.

and if rap doesn't work out, I doubt he'd then go to college. if college was important he wouldn't pass up this chance. idk, maybe he never really liked playing football. but it seems in todays world, you should take advantage of everything thrown your way.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1404991" timestamp="1368665157"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=111989.msg1404984#msg1404984 date=1368664378]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111989.msg1404962#msg1404962 date=1368661565]
[/quote]
[/quote][b]I guess it's stupid to leave early to go to the NBA, NFL or MLB too?[/b] What do you actually go to college for? To get a degree so you can make 75k at a desk if you're lucky? Guys are by that with a wrench and a lot less stress. Fact of the matter is he could have went to Michigan St. and maybe sat on the bench for free while he gets smarter or take a shot at his dream for which he's probably starting to receive income. Will he get famous, maybe not but he doesn't have to. If he becomes relatively popular locally like some of the Houston artist he can make 150-250k a year very easily. If that doesn't work he can always go try to get a degree and make that 75.
[/quote]

and if rap doesn't work out, I doubt he'd then go to college. if college was important he wouldn't pass up this chance. idk, maybe he never really liked playing football. but it seems in todays world, you should take advantage of everything thrown your way.
[/quote]I said the pro leagues because it often doesn't work out there when you leave early either and trust me, the majority of those guys aren't going back to school either. You also made another point I was going to say in that he might just not like football that much. Not everybody that is good at it loves the game. What do you take advantage of, a chance to get a degree in a field you might never work in or a chance at having 6 figures in your bank account by the end of the year and becoming a tax paying member of society?I have a bachelor's degree in economics and football is partly why so I believe in taking advantage of your opportunities but like I was saying earlier, "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush".

[quote name="cougar14" post="1405002" timestamp="1368666414"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=111989.msg1404991#msg1404991 date=1368665157]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=111989.msg1404984#msg1404984 date=1368664378]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]I said the pro leagues because it often doesn't work out there when you leave early either and trust me, the majority of those guys aren't going back to school either. You also made another point I was going to say in that he might just not like football that much. Not everybody that is good at it loves the game. What do you take advantage of, a chance to get a degree in a field you might never work in or a chance at having 6 figures in your bank account by the end of the year and becoming a tax paying member of society?I have a bachelor's degree in economics and football is partly why so I believe in taking advantage of your opportunities but like I was saying earlier, "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush".
[/quote]
I understand what your saying. I have no clue as to his immediate situation and I agree the all mighty dollar is a big big factor. it just seems that he could possibly use the opportunity to further a career in music if that is his dream. if the rap part didn't work out then maybe something else in the field like producing or something. idk, to each his own. good luck to him.

Did any of ya'll watch the video??  He is smoking weed throughout the whole video.  Why is that not being mentioned?? The crazy part is he has not been arrested for position of a illegal substance... the proof is in the video..
That’s ok though... like his rap... he can serve my hamburgers with no pickles "for life", "for life", "for life".....

What an idiot!!!!

[quote name="hitman009" post="1405186" timestamp="1368726687"]
Did any of ya'll watch the video??  He is smoking weed throughout the whole video.  Why is that not being mentioned?? The crazy part is he has not been arrested for position of a illegal substance... the proof is in the video..
That’s ok though... like his rap... he can serve my hamburgers with no pickles "for life", "for life", "for life".....

What an idiot!!!!
[/quote]

The problem is that you can not "prove" it was weed.

I'm just glad the young man is not wasting some schools scholarship money for a semester.

[quote name="hitman009" post="1405186" timestamp="1368726687"]

What an idiot!!!!
[/quote] I watched his video, he cant rap IMO but i wish him well, he'll be playing football at some D2 school in 2 years max (or whenever that advance money runs out)

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1405200" timestamp="1368727967"]
This could be the smartest decision he will ever make. With all the media attention he will get, he willhave some success. [b]And it doesn't matter if he sucks. Kids will still buy it.[/b]
[/quote] Good point.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder