Home Schoolers

Absolutely! These kids should be allowed to participate.  Sure, there will be a few that homeschool in order to not be accountable for grades, but I believe these will be few and far between.  There are many reasons to homeschool and there are lots of people who think homeschooled kids are anti-social freaks.  I am a public school teacher/coach.  My wife and I have decided to homeschool our kids. 

I am sure there are lots of thoughts on this but, it is really hard to read peoples opinions on this who have no idea the reasons parents choose this/ or what actually goes on.

Personally... if I were a coach I would not let any kid play any sport that did not go through the athletic period every day. When I was in high school we did a LOT of running and lifting weights during the period... which was a class during the school day.  If there would have been a kid on my team that didn't endure all of that....and just got to show up at 3:30 and start practice....I would have thrown a fit.  Plus, those kids don't have to worry about  behaving in class, turning work in, testing, being held accountable for school grades, etc..

I think the whole thing is unfair.  I hope that several coaches out there share my feeling on the topic.

Plus, those kids don't have to worry about  behaving in class, turning work in, testing, being held accountable for school grades, etc..

This is kind of what I am talking about..... most people assume the homeschool method is used to avoid this..... we are doing it to make it more rigorous...  How many times have you heard about discipline being overloooked so a kid can play in a game...  teachers accepting late work... giving re-tests etc. so kids can be elgible, etc.

When my kids are of high school age we will have a tough decision.... keep them home schooled...or put them in high school to let them play sports...  It the option were there to school them, and bring them to athletics... I would be all over that.

If you were to meet my kids who would be in the 1st grade and pre-k, it would be hard to argue against the virtues of homeschooling...

Now, as far as it being abused.... yes.... AAA academy comes to mind!  I don't have any idea how it could be regulated to ensure a level playing field...however I am looking at it through the lens of parents who are doing it right and for the right reasons...

[quote name="knows2much" post="1398212" timestamp="1366982870"]
Personally...[b] if I were a coach I would not let any kid play any sport that did not go through the athletic period every day. When I was in high school we did a LOT of running and lifting weights during the period... which was a class during the school day.  If there would have been a kid on my team that didn't endure all of that....and just got to show up at 3:30 and start practice....I would have thrown a fit.[/b]  Plus, those kids don't have to worry about  behaving in class, turning work in, testing, being held accountable for school grades, etc..

I think the whole thing is unfair.  I hope that several coaches out there share my feeling on the topic.
[/quote]

Home schooling done right is an honorable thing. Hate to see a kid that wants to play rejected as long as he/she lives in that school district.  But I can also see the case for both sides.....about five or six years ago there was a kid that was home schooled here that was a seven footer and he wasn't a bad player. Guess this ruling came a little late. Lol

There is nothing wrong with the idea of parents wanting to home school their kids.  They have that right.  In fact, we all know that public school programs have their fair share of problems.  This is not about that.  It's about accountability and fairness.

This is about following the same rules and standards as every other public school kid that competes in anything UIL.  Rules set by a school district/school board, attendance, grades, behavior, tardiness, dress code, homework, testing, ATHLETICS CLASS, etc. etc. etc....  All of these issues for home school kids are monitored by a parent.

It is impossible for anybody to say that home school kids and kids that attend a public school are on a level playing field when it comes to rules, standards, and accountability.  This whole idea is totally absurd.

I personally know kids who are home-schooled (homies) and attend classes on a college campus, responsible enough to do their work at home, and meet with other homies in a class setting. Some kids are through with their work by midday, go to the gym and workout for the next 4 hours. Seems to me, those public school kids are actually putting in less work in comparison to some homies  ;)

There are certainly exceptions to every rule.  I'm sure that the (homies) you speak are putting in more work than most public school kids.  And, those that you speak of will be more prepared for college than most public school kids because of what they are doing.

You have to understand though...  there are (homies) on the other end of that spectrum as well. I personally know of home school kids that pretty much do the opposite.  Realize, most of the schools in southeast Texas are rural.  A lot of home school kids I know don't do much school work.  And maybe only a couple days a week so that they can actually work. (job)

Either way.  You helped back up my argument with what you stated.  You know home school kids that finish their school work midday and then get to go work out for 4 hours of a school day.  How is that fair?  There is not a public school kids anywhere that gets that option.  Athletics class is 45 mins a day most of the time.  So public school have to wait until after 3:30 to get in an extra workout. 

I do not like it because "home schoolers" do not have to follow an athletic "code of conduct" and team policies that the public school athletes have to follow in order to make or stay on the team.

Grades and curriculum is not the issue. Way too much "gray" area would be involved.

i kid being home schooled and then practices for 4 hours is close to the same time as the public school

public school kid gets 45 min to 1 hour and 15 min of athletic period time then 1 hour and 30 minuts to 2 hours of after school practice time.

thats a total of 3 hours and 15 min at the most....pretty close

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1399702" timestamp="1367430193"]
i kid being home schooled and then practices for 4 hours is close to the same time as the public school

public school kid gets 45 min to 1 hour and 15 min of athletic period time then 1 hour and 30 minuts to 2 hours of after school practice time.

[/quote]

The example was about home schoolers getting to work out 3-4 hours "during" school time, not "after" school time. ;)

If students are allowed to participate then how many kids that are great athletes but have trouble with grades or are a discipline problem will suddenly become "home schooled?"

What is the accountability for a home schooled student?  I doubt there are any.  If there are none then technically a kid could say he was home schooled and never crack a book. 

Maybe there will be a new charter school come about call Home School Prep.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1399709" timestamp="1367431239"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=111447.msg1399702#msg1399702 date=1367430193]

[/quote]

The example was about home schoolers getting to work out 3-4 hours "during" school time, not "after" school time. ;)
[/quote]

does it matter when it takes place?  its about the same time of practice time that knows2much presented.

If a home schooler does all his work by mid day and then he starts his practice whats wrong with that.

There is alot of wasted time in the public school system.  the time between classes and the time that it takes for a teacher check roll, deal with any discipline that takes place in the classroom, etc

also their is no such thing as absent in home school

The time is not the same.

If home schoolers are allowed to play sports in public school, then not only will they be able to practice 3-4 hours during school, but then come to after school practice and practice two hours with his "new" public school team.

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1399723" timestamp="1367434555"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=111447.msg1399709#msg1399709 date=1367431239]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=111447.msg1399702#msg1399702 date=1367430193]

[/quote]

[/quote]

does it matter when it takes place?  its about the same time of practice time that knows2much presented.

If a home schooler does all his work by mid day and then he starts his practice whats wrong with that.

There is alot of wasted time in the public school system.  the time between classes and the time that it takes for a teacher check roll, deal with any discipline that takes place in the classroom, etc

also their is no such thing as absent in home school
[/quote] Exactly, a lot of wasted time in public schools.

[/quote]

That "wasted time" is part of it though.  Going from class to class....following rules and policies....being held accountable...  I don't know very many people that just get to "go home" or "go to the gym and work out" when there work is done.  In the real world most people work 40 hours a week or more...regardless if there is wasted time or not.

By the way...  I have a friend who is a teacher.  She told me the time between classes was reduced to 4 minutes, and they have to teach from start of class to finish, and they are not allowed to check roll unless the kids are busy working on something.  And she said checking roll takes a matter of seconds because it's basically clicking on a computer who is there and isn't.

You guys are just missing the point altogether.  Home school kids do not have same guidelines as public school kids. 

[quote name="knows2much" post="1399912" timestamp="1367503907"]

[/quote]

That "wasted time" is part of it though.  Going from class to class....following rules and policies....being held accountable...  I don't know very many people that just get to "go home" or "go to the gym and work out" when there work is done.  In the real world most people work 40 hours a week or more...regardless if there is wasted time or not.

By the way...  I have a friend who is a teacher.  She told me the time between classes was reduced to 4 minutes, and they have to teach from start of class to finish, and they are not allowed to check roll unless the kids are busy working on something.  And she said checking roll takes a matter of seconds because it's basically clicking on a computer who is there and isn't.

You guys are just missing the point altogether.  Home school kids do not have same guidelines as public school kids.

And lets not fool ourselves in to thinking/believing that there is not wasted time for home schooled kids.
[/quote]

[quote name="knows2much" post="1399912" timestamp="1367503907"]

[/quote]

[b]By the way...  I have a friend who is a teacher.  She told me the time between classes was reduced to 4 minutes, and they have to teach from start of class to finish, and they are not allowed to check roll unless the kids are busy working on something.  And she said checking roll takes a matter of seconds because it's basically clicking on a computer who is there and isn't.[/b]

[/quote]

don't believe it unless you see it...

and i see it every day of the week buddy

[quote name="Big girl" post="1400207" timestamp="1367535687"]
Tim Tebow was home schooled. ;)
[/quote]

Tim Tebow was home schooled at first...  then he attended a high school so that he could play football.  But,  he did not attend a high school where he lived.  He and his mother "rented" an apartment in the district of Nease High School.  He chose that school because he heard that Nease High School's coach had a passing strategy which Tim was looking for. 

Good example 'Big Girl'.  Perfect example of following UIL rules.  Hahaha

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33