Will Flanigan win with West Brook next season?

[quote name="Yeoj" post="1397651" timestamp="1366828064"]
[quote author=ice74 link=topic=110729.msg1397613#msg1397613 date=1366823994]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=110729.msg1397401#msg1397401 date=1366769013]
[quote author=Yeoj link=topic=110729.msg1397115#msg1397115 date=1366727796]
[quote author=ice74 link=topic=110729.msg1396851#msg1396851 date=1366662973]
I'm certain there is much talent at WB, I'm just not confident that Flanigan can utilize it on the level required to win in this district.  I believe that they will have a better record than last year, but not a record that will get them in the playoffs.  Also, following the turn around that WB saw under Stump and theor ability to keep winning, the expectations are much higher at this stage.  A winning season is not enough because prior to Flanigan coming on board the program was a winning, playoff bound team.  Just my opinion, but I don't think that he will be able beat Memorial, North Shore, Deer Park, or Laporte this year.  As a graduate of WB I hope that he does, but I am less than confident that they are ready to compete on a playoff level yet.
[/quote]
WB won district ONE time under Coach Stump. There was no big four when Stump coached the Bruins. It was a six team district including Channelview and Baytown Sterling. It was pretty much a given they would get in the playoffs. It is a much tougher district now. I don't believe anyone is saying the Bruins will win district but, they will be talented enough to make the playoffs. I think they knock off one of the playoff teams from last year and get in.
[/quote]+5
[/quote]

Only time will tell.  You make a good point about the alignment of the district when Stump was at the helm.  However, even those seasons that they didn't win district but made the playoffs, they did well in the postseason too.  Which set the bar pretty high, I don't know that Flannigan and company could have done the same in the district then and certainly have my doubts about them doing so now facing the big four.  Again, I know it takes time to put in a system, but last year was rather dismal.  I hope Flanigan proves me wrong, but I'll wait...
[/quote]
The talent level Flannigan is coaching is far less than the level and amount of talent Stump coached at WB. After C-mike gets drafted this weekend that would be two NFL RBs Stump coached. Flannigan doesn't have a NFL RB to bail him out. Hell it can be said the with all the talent Stump coached that he underachieved at West Brook. I do agree with you about the jury still being out on Flannigan though. Everyone knew last year would be mediocre. This year he has a more talented team, so we'll see what type of coach he is.
[/quote]

Agreed! so basically we are saying sort of the same thing.  Tougher District + Less Talent = equals a more difficult road to the playoffs.  All I'm saying is that it is too soon for me to endorse or indict him.  This year will tell the tale. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what yall are saying is yall are band wagon guys... If he does well you jump support him or if he fails this year you bash him...

What ever happen to support the program/coach FIRST not he has to "PROVE HIMSELF FIRST"??.. He has been coaching for many years... He has already PROVED himself.... Turned Orangfield into a playoff team and Crosby... Yet you still dought him... WOW!!!

What message are you sending the kids of your community (apples don't fall far from the tree)??
This is a growing problem I see in todays youth.... that "A person must prove himself to gain my respect".  That is why kids today argue with coaches/teachers/adults and are quick to make excesses when failure arises.  "Its not my fault, its someone else"

Here is an idea...try support your program... says positive things... support your coach publicly... THIS WILL BREAD SUCCESS..
Dont bail on the first little thing that YOU think is wrong.. KIDS HEAR AND LISTEN TO WHAT YOU SAY
the most influential person in a kids life is his/her parents. How you react is how they will.

[quote name="OlDawg" post="1396439" timestamp="1366478358"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=110729.msg1395582#msg1395582 date=1366260306]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110729.msg1395425#msg1395425 date=1366231208]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=110729.msg1395418#msg1395418 date=1366230762]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110729.msg1395323#msg1395323 date=1366217105]
[quote author=Bill Dauterive link=topic=110729.msg1395183#msg1395183 date=1366199632]
There are four reasons why Westbrook will not make the playoffs next year

1. Northshore
2. PAM
3. LaPorte
4. Deer Park
[/quote] ;) I was just telling someone that this past weekend.

+1
[/quote]Y'all are overselling Deer Park and La Porte lost Whitely. For having way over 3k kids DP is never more than decent. I think WB gets in this year over either DP or La Porte.
[/quote][b]Deer Park out-executes everybody in the district[/b] IMO (i saw 2 of their district games versus LP & NS) and should have beaten the top 3 teams this past season. La Porte lost Whitely: correct, but they return Lewis who a bit smaller but faster and quicker than Whitely, return their QB as well and will have the best D in the district more than likely. WB best bet for a win next season versus the top 4 teams in the district is against NS and that is only if the NS OC allows it. They aint beating PAM or LP this year thats for sure.  8)
[/quote]Which is the only reason they usually make the playoffs. Massey is a good coach but he also has nearly 4000 kids to choose from. When is a last time DP made a run? With that type of enrollment they should be North Shore's rival, instead they're NS's toy. Like you said though, they execute extremely well but for some reason much like BH in 19-4a they just don't seam to have the horses to consistently compete when they're not senior heavy. [b]I also think there could be 2 three loss teams that get into the playoffs.[/b] One thing that's for sure is once Flannigan gets the offense installed WB is going to score points, everything else is up in the air but they will be explosive on offense. He's going to get a lot of kids scholarships on the offensive side of the ball if he hangs around long enough.
[/quote][b]What are you smoking again? This is simply delusional. Do you see spiders? Are you hungry? What?[/b]  ;)
[/quote]Deer Park got in with four losses last year. Simple math Ol Dawg, or better yet maybe it's a new trick. I assume you think DP is getting into the playoffs right? What 6 teams are they going to beat in the district? Say they beat 5 teams in the district, that gives LP, NS or PAM a loss before they play the other two teams. One thing is for sure, at least one team with three losses is getting in and if WB wins a couple more district games this year and you get an undefeated district champ there could very well be two three loss teams get in. Don't go getting all excited and knocking your water out of the bowl before you think about it now.

[quote name="hitman009" post="1398206" timestamp="1366982011"]
So what yall are saying is yall are band wagon guys... If he does well you jump support him or if he fails this year you bash him...

What ever happen to support the program/coach FIRST not he has to "PROVE HIMSELF FIRST"??.. He has been coaching for many years... He has already PROVED himself.... Turned Orangfield into a playoff team and Crosby... Yet you still dought him... WOW!!!

What message are you sending the kids of your community (apples don't fall far from the tree)??
This is a growing problem I see in todays youth.... that "A person must prove himself to gain my respect".  That is why kids today argue with coaches/teachers/adults and are quick to make excesses when failure arises.  "Its not my fault, its someone else"

Here is an idea...try support your program... says positive things... support your coach publicly... THIS WILL BREAD SUCCESS..
Dont bail on the first little thing that YOU think is wrong.. KIDS HEAR AND LISTEN TO WHAT YOU SAY
the most influential person in a kids life is his/her parents. How you react is how they will.
[/quote]My whole thing is this. I understand we live in an instant gratification society now, especially the younger generation, so when someone doesn't instantly produce there's an uproar. WB got the best coach available at the time and he proved with his record he can coach anywhere at any level. Another thing WB fans have to realize is NS, LP, DP, and PAM might have just been better the last couple years. I would at least give him one more year before I really worried.

Guest BigCountry66
[quote name="hitman009" post="1398206" timestamp="1366982011"]

[/quote]

Hitman,
I've been told that I am in the minority in my old school way of thinking.  It is so refreshing to see others who believe what I still believe.  Your post is awesome and I would say, "Truer words have never been spoken".  I'll make a prediction about people's reaction to your post.  With a few exceptions, most people over the age of 40 will agree with you, cheer, clap and say AMEN!  Most people under the age of 40 will disagree with your comments and defend their actions as being 'concerned parents' or whatever.  These younger parents are part of what's referred to as the 'Millennial Generation'.  The term 'Helicopter Parents' was first used to describe this younger generation of parents.  These are the same parents who will register their kids for college, argue with their kids college professors for giving their kid a bad grade.  No, I am not making this sh*t up.  I wish I was.  There are really parents like this.  Unfortunately, they are not going away.  Some estimate that there are about 90 million of them in the US (30% of our population).  If you done any hiring in the workplace in recent years you already know all of this.  If you are new to these terms, I encourage you to read up on them.  It's disturbing but a lot of good lessons can come from knowing about them.  Again, there are exceptions.  Good exceptions are the younger parents who act mature beyond their years and don't act like Millenials.  The bad exceptions are the ones that are in their 40s and act like Millenials.  Yesterday in Lumberton, you witnessed the work of the bad exceptions.  smh
Stay strong Hitman and know that there are still plenty of folks like you that we would call 'good people'.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1398215" timestamp="1366983090"]
[quote author=OlDawg link=topic=110729.msg1396439#msg1396439 date=1366478358]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=110729.msg1395582#msg1395582 date=1366260306]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110729.msg1395425#msg1395425 date=1366231208]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=110729.msg1395418#msg1395418 date=1366230762]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110729.msg1395323#msg1395323 date=1366217105]
[quote author=Bill Dauterive link=topic=110729.msg1395183#msg1395183 date=1366199632]
There are four reasons why Westbrook will not make the playoffs next year

1. Northshore
2. PAM
3. LaPorte
4. Deer Park
[/quote] ;) I was just telling someone that this past weekend.

+1
[/quote]Y'all are overselling Deer Park and La Porte lost Whitely. For having way over 3k kids DP is never more than decent. I think WB gets in this year over either DP or La Porte.
[/quote][b]Deer Park out-executes everybody in the district[/b] IMO (i saw 2 of their district games versus LP & NS) and should have beaten the top 3 teams this past season. La Porte lost Whitely: correct, but they return Lewis who a bit smaller but faster and quicker than Whitely, return their QB as well and will have the best D in the district more than likely. WB best bet for a win next season versus the top 4 teams in the district is against NS and that is only if the NS OC allows it. They aint beating PAM or LP this year thats for sure.  8)
[/quote]Which is the only reason they usually make the playoffs. Massey is a good coach but he also has nearly 4000 kids to choose from. When is a last time DP made a run? With that type of enrollment they should be North Shore's rival, instead they're NS's toy. Like you said though, they execute extremely well but for some reason much like BH in 19-4a they just don't seam to have the horses to consistently compete when they're not senior heavy. [b]I also think there could be 2 three loss teams that get into the playoffs.[/b] One thing that's for sure is once Flannigan gets the offense installed WB is going to score points, everything else is up in the air but they will be explosive on offense. He's going to get a lot of kids scholarships on the offensive side of the ball if he hangs around long enough.
[/quote][b]What are you smoking again? This is simply delusional. Do you see spiders? Are you hungry? What?[/b]  ;)
[/quote]Deer Park got in with four losses last year. Simple math Ol Dawg, or better yet maybe it's a new trick. I assume you think DP is getting into the playoffs right? What 6 teams are they going to beat in the district? Say they beat 5 teams in the district, that gives LP, NS or PAM a loss before they play the other two teams. One thing is for sure, at least one team with three losses is getting in and if WB wins a couple more district games this year and you get an undefeated district champ there could very well be two three loss teams get in. Don't go getting all excited and knocking your water out of the bowl before you think about it now.
[/quote]My simple math tells me DP got in the PO's in 2012 with a 3-3 District record as the 4th place team. It would be close to impossible for two 3-loss teams to make the PO's in a 7 team 21-5A District.

• 2 weeks later...
Flannigan needs 4 seasons.

He's a perfectionist he needs to have kids who have been built by his system to be productive. Give him four season he'll get you to the playoffs and beyond.

He's not a 3 play coach, most people are like he's running the same play but he's not zone blocking schemes involve most plays looking similar so that you can't read the play off the ball. Most observers can barely tell the difference. even if to the same hole he uses counter actions he uses wraps etc all of these are different plays that are common. Also most of his work is done with formation not play call simple plays putting guys in different spaces with formations is they way he coaches and calls plays expect that to be the norm.

Good coach not a great motivator but a solid football mind.

One last note Flannigan needs a cutback runner to be successful a kid that can really just stop and start, and a solid footed good armed QB if he had those two things he'd have an easy time winning.

• 2 weeks later...
He probably won't have the luxurie of these types of athletes at his disposal since he can no longer recruit the Odom & South Park Middle School kids to attend Westbrook! The better athletes are staying in their area schools and it will be harder for Westbrook to have the top-notch talent as they did in the past years that came from the Pear Orchard & South Park areas to solidify it's past winning tradition! IJS

[quote name="JRidge" post="1406408" timestamp="1369080100"]
He probably won't have the luxurie of these types of athletes at his disposal since he can no longer recruit the Odom & South Park Middle School kids to attend Westbrook! The better athletes are staying in their area schools and it will be harder for Westbrook to have the top-notch talent as they did in the past years that came from the Pear Orchard & South Park areas to solidify it's past winning tradition! IJS
[/quote]

Are you saying they should change their mascot to Teddy Ruxpin?
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIhJP3-yreCYFbbWrtvS0WjKchvsfv0mhIr0tSzGS1rxgciO9j2A[/img]

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1406414" timestamp="1369080639"]
[quote author=JRidge link=topic=110729.msg1406408#msg1406408 date=1369080100]
[/quote]

Are you saying they should change their mascot to Teddy Ruxpin?
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIhJP3-yreCYFbbWrtvS0WjKchvsfv0mhIr0tSzGS1rxgciO9j2A[/img]
[/quote] maybe a teletubby

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder