Triple a academy

Hey Guys,

This is Coach Sodek from Mumford.  I just wanted to post a few things on this topic because there are several stories going around.  Let me clarify that Triple A Academy is the State Champion, nothing will change that.

First, you may want to go read an article published in brazossports.com today. It goes into more detail as far as PL 5281 is concerned and such. Please also read the comments section.  Let me start by telling you that I have been in Mumford for 12 years.  My first year was the 2001-2002 school year.  Mumford was originally a K-8 campus that fed into Hearne ISD for high school.  In about 1998, Hearne started having some issues passing the state mandated TAKS test/TAAS test (whatever it was called at the time.)  My Superintendent , Pete Bienski, (who has been here 36 years) was approached about starting a high school.  My first year at Mumford, the school only went up to 11th grade.  Mumford is a small community basically located in the middle of a cotton patch on Hwy 50.  Our school has always been made up of about 90% transfer students from surrounding areas.  These surrounding areas include: Hearne, Gause, Bryan, Somerville, Caldwell, etc...Our enrollment was rather small for a while, but we have steadily grown.  Our school has an exemplary rating, and thus continues to grow because other schools in the area are rated much lower ranging from unacceptable to recognized.  At the present time, our high school consists of about 130 students, and our school as a whole consists of about 530 students from PK3-12. 90% of those kids are transfers.

I was the coach that actually started the varsity program in Mumford.  My first year, I wan an assistant (we were a junior varsity that year), and I have been the head coach ever since.  We struggled, but we have progressively gotten better.  Back when I started an old coach i looked up to told me that I was in a no win situation.  I asked why and he told me that if we continued to lose, I would get fired, but if we started winning, people would point to the fact that our team was comprised of transfers and that we would get accused of cheating.  Below I am going to list you a roster of all the kids on my team and tell you how long that they have been in Mumford.  We have nothing to hide and I will explain the three kids in question to you about the best that I can.  We have not recruited.  Again, you have to decide for yourself, but here is our roster.

#1--has been in Mumford since the start of his sophomore year
#2--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten
#3--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#4--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#5--Lives in Mumford--Moved in this year--Parents moved due to moms job in area....chose to attend our school.  YES HE DOES PLAY ON THE SAME AAU TEAM AS #10
#10--has been in Mumford since start of 8th grade.  His father was the coach in Milano.  He was a mentor of mine when I started coaching and took me under his wing.  When a new AD moved into Milano he was reassigned and was going to be non-renewed.  He applied at Mumford and was hired.  He has been working here for 4 years.  They still live in Milano, and his mom is the Girls Volleyball Coach/Girls athletic coordinator in Milano.  YES HE PLAYS ON SAME AAU TEAM AS #5
#12--lives in Gause.  Gause is a k-8 campus like Mumford was for years.  They do not have a high school.  Kids in Gause can go to high school in Mumford, Milano, Hearne, Cameron, or Caldwell.
#15--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten
#21--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#23--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#32--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten

Those 11 boy make up our varsity team.  As most of them have been here a long time, many of which date back to primary school.  All these boys are not from Mumford district lines, but most (listed above) have spent their school career in Mumford.  We do not have a team full of AAU players.  In fact 2 of our players play AAU.  I do not go to AAU summer basketball because I do not particularly care for AAU basketball....just my preference.  However, I do go watch our summer league team compete in the Bryan High Summer League.  Our #5 moved from a school about 75 miles away, all paperwork was signed by the previous ISD.  I have gotten to know the family and I seriously doubt that they moved that far a distance for him to play basketball.....some will believe me, others will not.  However, I can only present the information to you.  Our #10 played junior high here.  His dad and I have been best friends and when he lost his job, I hired him to be my assistant and the Head Baseball Coach at Mumford.  Is that wrong?

Triple A is the state champion.  I said what I said because we did not recruit our kids.....the majority of our kids have been here since primary school (see above).  I do not coach my kids during the summer time, and I don't raid surrounding areas for potential talent.  I should not have said what I said.  As I mentioned in the news article, if i could evaluate talent in Pre-K so well, don't you think I would have a higher profile job than the one I currently hold?  Again, I can't control what people say.  I just have to coach the kids that I have here whether they are from Mumford, move in , or transfer at any age.  Again, keep in mind, most these kids transfer at an elementary age.  Keep in mind if a kid transfers in following their 8th grade year, they have to sit out 1 season.  I have explained this to texasroundball to no avail....I am just gonna let people with questions talk to me....Thanks for at least giving me the chance to explain.  Please read the article on brazossports though.....it may clear some of the issues concerning transfers up. 

Some people are under the impression that all these kids transferred into Mumford this year.  I just wanted to point out that the vast majority "have been here".  Concerning Coach King....I would hire him again in a heartbeat.  He has been here for 4 years.  I live in Bryan, Texas and my son goes to Mumford.  He is in 1st grade.  I do not know if he will turn out to be a player or not, but if he does, will he and I be called a cheater if he plays for Mumford and not Bryan?  According to the accusations of some, we will be.  That does not seem fair.  Again, thanks for listening to my rant. 
See ya later--Coach Sodek

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Coach Sodek" post="1385745" timestamp="1363360785"]
Hey Guys,

This is Coach Sodek from Mumford.  I just wanted to post a few things on this topic because there are several stories going around.  Let me clarify that Triple A Academy is the State Champion, nothing will change that.

First, you may want to go read an article published in brazossports.com today. It goes into more detail as far as PL 5281 is concerned and such. Please also read the comments section.  Let me start by telling you that I have been in Mumford for 12 years.  My first year was the 2001-2002 school year.  Mumford was originally a K-8 campus that fed into Hearne ISD for high school.  In about 1998, Hearne started having some issues passing the state mandated TAKS test/TAAS test (whatever it was called at the time.)  My Superintendent , Pete Bienski, (who has been here 36 years) was approached about starting a high school.  My first year at Mumford, the school only went up to 11th grade.  Mumford is a small community basically located in the middle of a cotton patch on Hwy 50.  Our school has always been made up of about 90% transfer students from surrounding areas.  These surrounding areas include: Hearne, Gause, Bryan, Somerville, Caldwell, etc...Our enrollment was rather small for a while, but we have steadily grown.  Our school has an exemplary rating, and thus continues to grow because other schools in the area are rated much lower ranging from unacceptable to recognized.  At the present time, our high school consists of about 130 students, and our school as a whole consists of about 530 students from PK3-12. 90% of those kids are transfers.

I was the coach that actually started the varsity program in Mumford.  My first year, I wan an assistant (we were a junior varsity that year), and I have been the head coach ever since.  We struggled, but we have progressively gotten better.  Back when I started an old coach i looked up to told me that I was in a no win situation.  I asked why and he told me that if we continued to lose, I would get fired, but if we started winning, people would point to the fact that our team was comprised of transfers and that we would get accused of cheating.  Below I am going to list you a roster of all the kids on my team and tell you how long that they have been in Mumford.  We have nothing to hide and I will explain the three kids in question to you about the best that I can.  We have not recruited.  Again, you have to decide for yourself, but here is our roster.

#1--has been in Mumford since the start of his sophomore year
#2--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten
#3--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#4--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#5--Lives in Mumford--Moved in this year--Parents moved due to moms job in area....chose to attend our school.  YES HE DOES PLAY ON THE SAME AAU TEAM AS #10
#10--has been in Mumford since start of 8th grade.  His father was the coach in Milano.  He was a mentor of mine when I started coaching and took me under his wing.  When a new AD moved into Milano he was reassigned and was going to be non-renewed.  He applied at Mumford and was hired.  He has been working here for 4 years.  They still live in Milano, and his mom is the Girls Volleyball Coach/Girls athletic coordinator in Milano.  YES HE PLAYS ON SAME AAU TEAM AS #5
#12--lives in Gause.  Gause is a k-8 campus like Mumford was for years.  They do not have a high school.  Kids in Gause can go to high school in Mumford, Milano, Hearne, Cameron, or Caldwell.
#15--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten
#21--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#23--has been in Mumford since Pre-K
#32--has been in Mumford since Kindergarten

Those 11 boy make up our varsity team.  As most of them have been here a long time, many of which date back to primary school.  All these boys are not from Mumford district lines, but most (listed above) have spent their school career in Mumford.  We do not have a team full of AAU players.  In fact 2 of our players play AAU.  I do not go to AAU summer basketball because I do not particularly care for AAU basketball....just my preference.  However, I do go watch our summer league team compete in the Bryan High Summer League.  Our #5 moved from a school about 75 miles away, all paperwork was signed by the previous ISD.  I have gotten to know the family and I seriously doubt that they moved that far a distance for him to play basketball.....some will believe me, others will not.  However, I can only present the information to you.  Our #10 played junior high here.  His dad and I have been best friends and when he lost his job, I hired him to be my assistant and the Head Baseball Coach at Mumford.  Is that wrong?

Triple A is the state champion.  I said what I said because we did not recruit our kids.....the majority of our kids have been here since primary school (see above).  I do not coach my kids during the summer time, and I don't raid surrounding areas for potential talent.  I should not have said what I said.  As I mentioned in the news article, if i could evaluate talent in Pre-K so well, don't you think I would have a higher profile job than the one I currently hold?  Again, I can't control what people say.  I just have to coach the kids that I have here whether they are from Mumford, move in , or transfer at any age.  Again, keep in mind, most these kids transfer at an elementary age.  Keep in mind if a kid transfers in following their 8th grade year, they have to sit out 1 season.  I have explained this to texasroundball to no avail....I am just gonna let people with questions talk to me....Thanks for at least giving me the chance to explain.  Please read the article on brazossports though.....it may clear some of the issues concerning transfers up. 

Some people are under the impression that all these kids transferred into Mumford this year.  I just wanted to point out that the vast majority "have been here".  Concerning Coach King....I would hire him again in a heartbeat.  He has been here for 4 years.  I live in Bryan, Texas and my son goes to Mumford.  He is in 1st grade.  I do not know if he will turn out to be a player or not, but if he does, will he and I be called a cheater if he plays for Mumford and not Bryan?  According to the accusations of some, we will be.  That does not seem fair.  Again, thanks for listening to my rant. 
See ya later--Coach Sodek

Greatly appreciate your post Coach Sodek. Great job with your team and keep up the great work.

AAA won State within the rules of UIL, period. Just as Mumford reached State, within the rules. I don't see a huge difference in either programs. yes, AAA has a larger coverage. But YES Prep out of Houston and many other inner city charter schools have the same area coverage and[color=red] CAN'T COMPETE[/color] at a high level.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1385759" timestamp="1363363929"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385757#msg1385757 date=1363363839]
AAA won State within the rules of UIL, period. Just as Mumford reached State, within the rules. I don't see a huge difference in either programs.
[/quote]

::)
[/quote]Okay Aggie. Lets do this.......differences???

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1385757" timestamp="1363363839"]
AAA won State within the rules of UIL, period. Just as Mumford reached State, within the rules. I don't see a huge difference in either programs. yes, AAA has a larger coverage. But YES Prep out of Houston and many other inner city charter schools have the same area coverage and[color=red] CAN'T COMPETE[/color] at a high level.
[/quote]

My guess is that the "legitimate" charter schools who "can't compete" cannot, at this point, because they are in the early developmental stages and have an academic priority as opposed to an athletic one. If the NBA awards a New Franchise to Omaha next year, it will be many years before they are able to "legitimately" compete for a Division or league title.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1385733" timestamp="1363355705"]
[quote author=pallacanestro link=topic=110076.msg1385701#msg1385701 date=1363319120]
Bluedove, how do you know so much about AAA, mclure, and the director from notre dame? Would it happen to be from experiences you had with them at AAU?

Corruption in HS basketball is due to AAU and parents who want to shop their children around. I remember a certain guard from the Houston area that later played at Arizona...how many high schools did he attend before settling down?
[/quote] How do I know them? Various avenues other than the AAU circuit  ;) Do you really want to debate HS vs AAU with me? Do you really want to[color=red] compare[/color] the behind scenes in HS and AAU with me? You may not want to do that, trust me!!
[/quote]
WOW, right out of DickieV's tactics manual - right down to the plea, "trust me." ::)

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1385771" timestamp="1363365943"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385733#msg1385733 date=1363355705]
[quote author=pallacanestro link=topic=110076.msg1385701#msg1385701 date=1363319120]
Bluedove, how do you know so much about AAA, mclure, and the director from notre dame? Would it happen to be from experiences you had with them at AAU?

Corruption in HS basketball is due to AAU and parents who want to shop their children around. I remember a certain guard from the Houston area that later played at Arizona...how many high schools did he attend before settling down?
[/quote] How do I know them? Various avenues other than the AAU circuit  ;) Do you really want to debate HS vs AAU with me? Do you really want to[color=red] compare[/color] the behind scenes in HS and AAU with me? You may not want to do that, trust me!!
[/quote]
WOW, right out of DickieV's tactics manual - right down to the plea, "trust me." ::)

;D ;D
[/quote]

[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385733#msg1385733 date=1363355705]

[/quote]
[/quote]I'm still waiting....... 8)

[/quote]
[/quote]It should be. The same man that taught me, taught Dickie too!!

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1385737" timestamp="1363357044"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110076.msg1385702#msg1385702 date=1363319887]

[/quote]yep! Nic Wise. And told a random Twitter follower when asked a while back that he wished he would have stayed at 1 HS.
[/quote]

Wise?  That name has a famiiar ring to it.
[/quote] ;D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1385807" timestamp="1363371725"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=110076.msg1385768#msg1385768 date=1363365166]
I think Coach Sodek explained Mumford's differences quite well. ;)
[/quote]yep, both get players from outside their geographic areas. One has a larger area.......wow!
[/quote]

Gee, Dove- It would appear you did not read Mr. Sodeks post or you think he not telling the truth.  From what I saw, one of the first nine players came to the school during his Varsity years.  Looks like everyone else is pretty much homegrown.  Are you going to "suggest" that this same type of situation exists at Yates, Madison, and Triple A?

Just a big picture thought:  Why does Little Dribblers have American, Continental, & National Divisions?  Why does select baseball have Elite, Premier, etc?  Why do colleges have D-1, 1-AA, D-2, D-3, NAIA?  Why does the UIL have 1A - 5A (soon to be 6A apparently)?

I think the answer to all of the above is so that they can try to get the best competition, with as level a playing field as possible, for all participants.  BD or DV said "the best should play against the best", and that's right.  And that's the problem with the current system in place, as I mentioned several posts ago.  If the goal is to create the best competition on as level a playing field as possible, the UIL is not meeting it's goal. 

Notice I did not accuse anybody of cheating.  Make a rule, and someone will find a way around it, and I've found that to be the case in every sport since my kids started T-ball at 5 years old.  Also, no matter what you do, some teams will always be better than others; that's just life.  But regardless, the point is the same.  If the goal is as I stated, then the goal is not being met.  Not sure I have the solution, but the current state is pretty darn clear, unless you just don't want to see it.  And no it's not whining, just stating the facts...

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1385815" timestamp="1363373338"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385807#msg1385807 date=1363371725]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=110076.msg1385768#msg1385768 date=1363365166]
[/quote]yep, both get players from outside their geographic areas. One has a larger area.......wow!
[/quote]

Gee, Dove- It would appear you did not read Mr. Sodeks post or you think he not telling the truth.  From what I saw, one of the first nine players came to the school during his Varsity years.  Looks like everyone else is pretty much homegrown.  Are you going to "suggest" that this same type of situation exists at Yates, Madison, and Triple A?
[/quote]AAA players started out home grown.  They were there as well BEFORE high school  ::)

The big difference here is the AAA is not a "traditional" public school as we have known public schools over the last century.  But the metro area public schools have moved away from the traditional model with magnet schools and open enrollment (which is now also spreading to more rural areas).  It will never be the same as it was and pumper has done a good job of describing the problem.  AAA should either be a private school or it should be moved up to the predominate DFW area classifications as it is cherry picking its athletes from within DISD.  As I see wherever he posts, for Dove, the end justifies the means!!!  I do applaude the academic efforts of the school!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1385826" timestamp="1363374950"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110076.msg1385815#msg1385815 date=1363373338]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385807#msg1385807 date=1363371725]
[/quote]

[/quote]AAA players started out home grown.  They were there as well BEFORE high school  ::)
[/quote]

Yea, right.  They were all in the same neighborhood. 

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1385832" timestamp="1363376300"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385826#msg1385826 date=1363374950]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110076.msg1385815#msg1385815 date=1363373338]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, right.  They were all in the same neighborhood.
[/quote] Hey Dove which neighborhood? Same neighborhood as the school or same neighborhood umpteen miles away from the school?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1385810" timestamp="1363371899"]
[quote author=usedtobe link=topic=110076.msg1385771#msg1385771 date=1363365943]

[/quote]
[/quote]
It's a shame that neither you nor DickieV picked up the pure "Class" that your mentor had. :(

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1385837" timestamp="1363376898"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=110076.msg1385810#msg1385810 date=1363371899]
[quote author=usedtobe link=topic=110076.msg1385771#msg1385771 date=1363365943]

[/quote]
[/quote]
It's a shame that neither you nor DickieV picked up the pure "Class" that your mentor had. :(
[/quote]
Ouch!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder