wbfan

Crosby vs Aledo

Recommended Posts

1
2 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

- Aledo's starting QB, RB, and WR were all sophomores. Our defense played good enough to win the game. Our special teams and offense did not play as well that day. Plus CS was a really good team. I dont want to sell the state champs short. We had our opportunities and didnt take advantage of them. We lost by 1 point.

-  "We arent the biggest, fastest, or the strongest but we are the baddest dudes around"- Wes Harris (Aledo '16)

-  This wont be another game against a good team. This is state. There is a difference and you will see. 

- LJ certainly didnt play backyard football and just chunk of the ball. They had a plan and the offense to execute. Yalls offenses are different. 

- This team has not been as dominate. You see them as " more gettable", I see them as a team that doesnt know how to lose against equal competition. 

- "talent acquisition capabilities"- Yes kids move to Aledo to join our program and hope to get college offers. What about the D1 QB committed to Michigan State that moved away? Wish he was playing for us Friday! If you are suggesting Aledo is seeking out kids and illegally recruiting them then you should gather evidence and submit it to the UIL. 

There’s a difference in backyard football and scrambling to get away from pressure. Crosby didn’t play backyard football either if you’re not going to call the time LJ’s qb scrambled and hit Westerfeldt the same thing. Our offenses definitely are different, if Dunn or Branch get lose on some of those keepers or scrambles that LJ’s qb did they won’t just be first downs, they’ll be chunk plays. 
 

Lol, one fan says Crosby just needs to see it as another game. I said they would and the very next Aledo fan says they won’t because it’s state. That’s what I was mentioning in the other post. Smh, if that premise really held up then CS, Cedar Park, George Ranch and Shadow Creek wouldn’t have titles after opening relatively recently. Not to mention GR won theirs after slaughtering Lake Ridge in the title game who was fresh off a drubbing of Aledo in the semifinal game.
 

I can say the same when Aledo won their first title in ‘98 against Cuero who already had multiple titles at the time. I’d imagine you have some reason Aledo was able to win that game and whatever it is you can extrapolate over to Crosby this week. 
 

You see “don’t know how to lose”, I see “gettable” so we’ll definitely continue to differ there. I don’t need to gather anything, I said it’s obviously legal. Nowhere else in the state do you have only 36 in 1,800+ of one type of kid, 20+ probably play football and account for 90% of your D1 talent. Like I said though, that too will be irrelevant come 1pm Friday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Crosby has already overcome a lot this year, and for that matter they've overcome a lot the past two or three years. Obviously all the things you laid out as to why Aledo has the advantage over Crosby didn't apply when you played College Station who had only been playing varsity football a few seasons when you lost to them in the title game. I'm sure y'all were point out how Aledo was going for ring number 7 and that they were going to be happy just to be there. Y'all were wrong then and hopefully you're wrong again this week.

Crosby athletes walk on the field expecting to win too. Aledo won't be the biggest, fastest or most athletic team Crosby has played this year. This will just be another game against a good team like the last four we've played. Kids have never have been wide-eyed and still won't just because the team they're lining up from has won a lot of games. 

It's weird you say the "make something happen" plays won't work against Aledo when I just watched an entire game of LJ's qb making things happen just like that to the tune of 48 points. They did it with 0 running game and some qb keepers/scrambles. Aledo blocked that punt late to swing momentum but y'all were basically outplayed by LJ for 40 mins.

Crosby has scored 60+ in 3 of 5 playoff games so we rarely have a problem getting started. I fully expect Crosby to be in the game regardless of how we start though. This isn't the Johnathan Gray teams of years' past. This version of Aledo is more than gettable and I like Crosby chances to do so. 

I hope it's great game too! It's just going to be abrasive all week to hear the Aledo fans talk about how great they are because of; Insert X reason. Yes Aledo has a great program but every degenerate THSF fan like me knows it probably has more to do with their talent acquisition capabilities versus all the other stuff you listed. The largest anomaly in THSF is the way Aledo's normal student population looks versus they way their D1 signees look. UIL says it's legal though, so we're going to line up and try to take y'all out just like everybody else we weren't supposed to. 

I did not discount Crosby's season, if my words gave you that impression, my apologies, it was not the intent. I should have left the longer post that shared my frustration at coaching in a conference against an Aledo level program (we will never get away from them as there is no realignment here, its all conferences) How do they win every year? Great coaching and buy in. Community support that is unrivaled, and tradition. Beating a team like that is a tough nut, and only College Station has been able to do that in the Championship game since Aledo beat Cuero in 98. 

I'll skip over all the rest down to the part about Aledo and their ability to acquire talent... 

My point about Aledo playing in an average of 5 playoff games a season since the late '90's is a HUGE reason why people move their kids there. It's much like Alabama, and Ohio State every year getting the pick of the litter. People want to be part of something bigger than themselves, and Aledo has become that. 

If you are moving to DFW and have a child who is an exceptional athlete, where do you go that offers that child the most exposure and opportunity to win? Aledo, Southlake, Allen all come to mind. I send my kids where the best coaching is, and where they get a great education (not in that order). This is why my daughter goes to the 4A (our 6A) school versus running for her dad at the 1A school where I am a very successful head coach. 

Same for Bama and OSU, and Clemson. Kids go to win championships and get a ring. 

Aledo doesn't need to recruit, 9 championships keeps them coming, just like Bama. They could sit back and just take the best kids based on their history. 

Id really like to see a good game Friday. Crosby has the athletes to make it fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Aledo, nothing has to be said about your championship teams.  Congratulations have been wore out.  This is going to be a heck of a game.  I've told Crosby the best thing that happened to them was loosing to Nederland.  That pushed a button and they haven't lost since.  They have amazed me each week by slaying the giants.  They make mistakes and still win.  They can't make to many mistakes Friday.  So if Crosby can click on just 7 cylinders, they have a great chance to win this game.   I'm not calling the Cougs underdogs because there are none in the State Championship.  I hoping for a exciting game, SE Texas style.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One hellava win for the Crosby program.  Wins like that, however, normally lead to blowouts the following week.  When we lost to Sweeny 6-6 in '83, the Bulldogs got ran out of the gym to the tune of 42-0 by one of the greatest teams of all times, Dangerfield.  I hope Crosby gives Aledo and game and a scare but history says no

I want to be wrong AF

Barrett Station, stand up......

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

One hellava win for the Crosby program.  Wins like that, however, normally lead to blowouts the following week.  When we lost to Sweeny 6-6 in '83, the Bulldogs got ran out of the gym to the tune of 42-0 by one of the greatest teams of all times, Dangerfield.  I hope Crosby gives Aledo and game and a scare but history says no

I want to be wrong AF

Barrett Station, stand up......

Well if history were true then FBM should have blew us out after the OT game with HHS but here we are...  

And no worries,  BST AND CROSBY WILL STAND TO THE OCCASION!  

GO COUGARS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A BUC 77 said:

Well Aledo, nothing has to be said about your championship teams.  Congratulations have been wore out.  This is going to be a heck of a game.  I've told Crosby the best thing that happened to them was loosing to Nederland.  That pushed a button and they haven't lost since.  They have amazed me each week by slaying the giants.  They make mistakes and still win.  They can't make to many mistakes Friday.  So if Crosby can click on just 7 cylinders, they have a great chance to win this game.   I'm not calling the Cougs underdogs because there are none in the State Championship.  I hoping for a exciting game, SE Texas style.

The difference in the team that lost to Nederland and the current team is that Dunn and Branch have switched positions. Dunn is a better passer and moving Branch to RB/WR gives him space. Dunn can look down field for a receiver, dump it off to Branch, or scramble for yards. If Branch gets space, he is tough to catch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

I know Huntsville had a stud wr and so did FBM. Did y'all end up moving y'alls best CB over or double those guys? Or basically play em straight up?

Woodberry 6 Rec, 147 yards. 3 TD’s

Marshall  7 Rec,  200 yards,  2 TD’s

Looked to me like they were doubling on Marshall quite a bit.  Didn’t do much good.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aledoalumni said:

I know Huntsville had a stud wr and so did FBM. Did y'all end up moving y'alls best CB over or double those guys? Or basically play em straight up?

Woodberry got singled up all day by one of Crosby’s corners and got his. Our corner made the plays that were needed though, including a crucial one late.
 

Crosby pretty much played Marshall straight up. Crosby started to shade and help over the top some in the second half before he got ejected but it wasn’t anything outside the normal coverage you would play on a kid that needs extra attention. They may not be the highest rated players but the best two high school receivers I’ve seen Crosby in the field with is Jalen Preston from Manvel and AJ Dugat from Dayton. Marshall is significantly better than those two and he’s just a junior. 
 

I mentioned all that to say there’s no question Earle is going to get his. However, I like how Crosby matches up the rest of the way outside. I think Crosby’s offense is going to have decent success against Aledo’s defense. The biggest question for Crosby is going to be how well we contain Demarco Roberts? We do a good job there and Crosby’s chances to come home with a ring greatly increase. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

One hellava win for the Crosby program.  Wins like that, however, normally lead to blowouts the following week.  When we lost to Sweeny 6-6 in '83, the Bulldogs got ran out of the gym to the tune of 42-0 by one of the greatest teams of all times, Dangerfield.  I hope Crosby gives Aledo and game and a scare but history says no

I want to be wrong AF

Barrett Station, stand up......

Then we should have lost to Fort Bend Marshall, we've already won a game on a last second play this post season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Woodberry got singled up all day by one of Crosby’s corners and got his. Our corner made the plays that were needed though, including a crucial one late.
 

Crosby pretty much played Marshall straight up. Crosby started to shade and help over the top some in the second half before he got ejected but it wasn’t anything outside the normal coverage you would play on a kid that needs extra attention. They may not be the highest rated players but the best two high school receivers I’ve seen Crosby in the field with is Jalen Preston from Manvel and AJ Dugat from Dayton. Marshall is significantly better than those two and he’s just a junior. 
 

I mentioned all that to say there’s no question Earle is going to get his. However, I like how Crosby matches up the rest of the way outside. I think Crosby’s offense is going to have decent success against Aledo’s defense. The biggest question for Crosby is going to be how well we contain Demarco Roberts? We do a good job there and Crosby’s chances to come home with a ring greatly increase. 

I think Preston is/was as good as the Marshall kid, but like you said, Marshall isn't done yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

I think Preston is/was as good as the Marshall kid, but like you said, Marshall isn't done yet.

Nah, I've seen them both. Preston was more Versatile, but Marshall is the best wideout I've seen in High school from a skills point of view. Preston made plays and was incredible unstoppable force. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I think Preston is/was as good as the Marshall kid, but like you said, Marshall isn't done yet.

Didn’t someone say Marshall just started playing football like last year?  I’d like to see him matchup against D1 corners then give an opinion.  Hopefully he can keep his emotions under control and just play!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping this is a good game.  It would certainly make a huge splash for Crosby to bring one to the area.. especially off of the Aledo machine.  However, I'm inclined to think Aledo gets another one.  As much as I like Cinderella stories, you have a group of kids/coaches on one sideline that just seemingly doesn't know how to lose.  Experience is huge in these situations.

Having said that... give em hell, Crosby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I think Preston is/was as good as the Marshall kid, but like you said, Marshall isn't done yet.

Preston has been at A&M for three years and is still struggling to get on the field. Preston was highly ranked for his big play ability but it was mostly  catch and run stuff off short passes/screens. That’s why he keeps getting outplayed by 3-star kids. 
 

Marshall is a better route runner, runs more routes from the tree, has better hands and better ball skills. IDK about the pure top end speed but he’s quicker in short areas than Preston and is lighter but plays with the same physicality. Where Preston is struggling to play to his rating, I think Marshall would be the best receiver and NFL prospect on A&M’s roster. Also think, this is his first year even playing football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Member Statistics

    42,664
    Total Members
    1,837
    Most Online
    Big Chief100
    Newest Member
    Big Chief100
    Joined



×
  • Create New...