CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC

VP93....

1 minute ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

silsbee and lumberton football programs are 2 different programs 

That’s true. But a bigger School OC came to smaller school. I have no idea what they pay him but I’m sure it’s close to Lumberton pay. People look for challenges. But hey maybe people like the easy route to wait for a school to open up with a lot of talent and a lot applications. 

17 minutes ago, LC-M said:

I’m not saying they would come. I’m saying he wants a bigger school coach not a wing t guy from HJ. 

I would like to think that coaches use whatever system fits the talent or lack of... of the kids they have.  I know that a coach is considered a bad coach when they don't win but none of them are trying to lose on purpose...even the bad ones.  It's very possible that the kids currently at Lumberton just don't have the personnel to spread it out and sling it around.  I understand that's what all of the sideline coaches want their hometown teams to do but let's be real.  Everyone wants to go no back with some run/pass option but come on.. Why risk a 70-0 loss due to 3 incompletions and a punt every possession without burning any time.  Even the offensive coordinator from Austin Westlake will NOT be able to do whatever he does at WL if he came to Lumberton.

1 hour ago, PlayActionPass said:

So very true. Do those coordinators have to deal with:

1. Community and athlete "buy in"

2. Limited resources

3. Average to below average athleticism

4. Lack of commitment

5. Small, inexperienced staff

etc........

So are you saying you either have it or you don’t, and small unsuccessful programs should quit trying to win? I disagree. I’ve never been one to give up or accept the status quo. Anything is possible. You just have to change the culture. 

4 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

A great coach could win at Lumberton using the spread. He has to have a chess type mind and design the plays where he is clearing out space /creating seperation. I'm not saying that the spread is the best offense for Lumberton, I'm just saying that I've seen it done. It's better than the slot-T where you have 22 people in the box and you hope your running back can get past 21 people to find pay dirt .

lumberton needs to give the new guy 3-4 years to implement their system then they will be fine, can’t run a guy off in 2 years and so forth let them structure his program and get buy in and that takes atleast 2 years and then on year 3 you should see progress.

38 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

So are you saying you either have it or you don’t, and small unsuccessful programs should quit trying to win? I disagree. I’ve never been one to give up or accept the status quo. Anything is possible. You just have to change the culture. 

Nope, not saying that at all.

Saying that Lumberton needs to invest in a Coach that understands the limitations and has a track record and a plan to overcome those limitations. As opposed to hiring a coach who has been in the best possible position for success like the coordinators at LT, Katy, Allen, etc.....  

Coach Babin is a very nice well respected person.  I have really like him and he worked extremely hard at Lumberton  The majority of the players liked him and he increased the number of participants in football.  He will do well in his next position and I surely wish him well

However he was not very successful at Lumberton. He had a couple of playoff appearances, but if you look at his record it is slightly below .500. That should give everyone a good idea of how tough it is to win at Lumberton 

15 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Coach Babin is a very nice well respected person.  I have really like him and he worked extremely hard at Lumberton  The majority of the players liked him and he increased the number of participants in football.  He will do well in his next position and I surely wish him well

However he was not very successful at Lumberton. He had a couple of playoff appearances, but if you look at his record it is slightly below .500. That should give everyone a good idea of how tough it is to win at Lumberton 

he’s been one of the most successful coaches in Lumberton history!! I thought Babin was very successful 

31 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

he’s been one of the most successful coaches in Lumberton history!! I thought Babin was very successful 

I think he was successful too. Sometimes you’re limited by your budget (ability to grow your facilities, your assistants, your Junior High program), and you may also be limited by the athletes you have in your stable. No doubt he grew the program overall. But he gone. Let’s take steps forward and not backwards. 

2 hours ago, Pho Rizzle said:

A great coach could win at Lumberton using the spread. He has to have a chess type mind and design the plays where he is clearing out space /creating seperation. I'm not saying that the spread is the best offense for Lumberton, I'm just saying that I've seen it done. It's better than the slot-T where you have 22 people in the box and you hope your running back can get past 21 people to find pay dirt .

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Babin.  Based on what I’ve seen and where he’s been.. he’s definitely a quality coach.  But make no mistake, had they not dropped there would have been NO success in football.  Keep that in mind.  I’m not certain that they could successfully implement a spread style offense where they are now.  They go back up to 5A it’s gonna be an immediate struggle.  Comments like the one you just made: “A great coach could win at Lumberton using the spread”.. is the reason that the school struggles with consistency in the coaching department.  I feel sorry for whoever gets the job knowing that there are fans with unrealistic expectations.

13 hours ago, Pho Rizzle said:

I specifically said that I don't think that the spread is their ideal offense A good spread coach can pick apart a defense is what I said.

I wouldn't dare take the slot-T up to 5 A since the entire district has had 20+ years to learn how to defend it against Vidor. I liked the offense they ran during Crueders head coaching stint , the emphasis on blocking schemes was great and it's what made the offense tick.

Even a good spread coach needs at least a portion of a certain type of clientele.  

Whoever we get better be ready to take on the whiney parents. The first parent that comes along and gripes because their boy didn't get the playing time mom or dad thought they should have can very well cost you your job here in Lumberton.m Nobody looks at the winning traditions we have in basketball, Soccer and other sports where the assistant coaches that tend to stay through different head coaches lead the teams. Tradition is what it takes to win consistently, look at PNG or West Orange Stark, they reload every year because of tradition.

37 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

The best slot-T coach in the world can't beat Alabama with a group of junior high girls either. 

What offense makes this possible ?  Enlighten us !

NONE.. but that's the point.  The offense that they end up running will likely be the best one suited for their players.  According to the coached hired to do the task.  So, making comments like.."well..a great coach could blah blah blah spread.."  WRONG!  It takes a specific type of skill to pull off an offensive scheme such as spreading a defense out across the field and using speed to gain yards... unless the talent is just so overwhelming to the other team that it doesn't matter.  Case in point:  Newton and WOS could undoubtedly run whatever offense they wanted to and still dominate their respective districts and even a few rounds deep.  Lumberton can not.  

I can already see this turning into a nightmare situation for the next coach.  Oh well.. seems to be the norm with teams that don't win consistently.  

33 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I can already see this turning into a nightmare situation for the next coach.  Oh well.. seems to be the norm with teams that don't win consistently.

What kind of athletes do they have coming up? Don’t you think a great coach would have the ability to figure that out and put in whatever best suits his athletes?

38 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

It's attitudes like this that are exactly what teams have to overcome. With this mentality , they should just just get rid of the football team.

This is the hidden content, please

Could not have said it better. Exactly what I was going to respond. (Except for the “Debbie Downer” clip - that was icing on the cake). 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC