Should Port Neches Change Their Mascot

BADSANTA

9 minutes ago, Realville said:

Well I am offended that PNG has a winning record year in and year out! You think y’all could suck every once in while! At the end of the day when it’s all said an done we’re all going to be buried in the same size hole regardless of race, religion, or politics. But I will lose my mind if we don’t have High School Football this season! Go Pirates! 

With you 100% on having a football season this year.  Not so much on PNG losing.  Sorry! Peace!

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Then they need to go drag down that Mexican flag that's flying in front of the PA Library.

That you hometown? You should start it then.

For that matter, we need to junk the old red, white and blue after that debacle that happened in Vietnam, huh?

Was it a conflict or a war?

BTW, somebody needs to get down their and riot at Six Flags over Texas about this crap, too. 

Good idea, but somebody already did.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I’ll agree, dressing up in “red face” shows huge respect. 

Come on, they not doing that for real? If they are, that's trash. But I haven't lived in the area for years and I don't recall that the mascot did that. All I recall is it was just a boy with some purple paint cosplaying.

I'm against the name, btw. I stated that much. There are plenty of good names out there that are non offensive.

If wearing purple paint is considered red face, then they should probably drop the name and get up. I'm all for not offending people if it reasonable. If a native American says it's offensive, I'm going to go with what he /she said, not my feelings about the subject.

5 hours ago, png9mon said:

Once again, unless you are raised as we were, there is no way for you to grasp the significance of our traditions. 

Well, this guy and many other Native Americans disagree. Might as well use the derogatory term “Scalp ‘Em” while you’re at it. Oh wait, y’all do...my friend.

I may be biased — after all, I am a Sicangu Lakota Native. After centuries of forced assimilation and federal laws preventing us from practicing our culture (

This is the hidden content, please
), for some reason, many Americans now feel comfortable coopting Native culture.

A good rule of thumb for this is when referring to Natives, call us Native American, Indigenous, First Nations, or by our specific band or tribe if you want some extra Ally Points, and just let Natives call each other Indian.

Here's a non-verbal thing you should never do and immediately call out if you see someone doing: STOP DRESSING UP AS NATIVES. My race and culture are not a costume. Whether it's Halloween or having unknowing first graders wear paper feathers for the Thanksgiving program at the local elementary school, or a school team mascot doing a war dance, dressing up as another race is never OK. Seriously, try dressing up as any other race on Halloween and you'll end up in hot water.

-Benny Wayne Sully

4 hours ago, png9mon said:

Once again the Proclamation was made to the INDIANS of Port Neches-Groves.  The other tribes, be it Apache, Atakapa, Utes, Karankawa...are entitled to send proclamations as they see fit.  Also, they may choose to not use the word Indians to describe themselves, or their tribes.  It does not diminish, in any way, the validity of the proclamation we received.

Once again, my friends, if you were not raised in the atmosphere & spirit, you will never understand, but I do respect your opinion.

3 hours ago, png9mon said:

God Bless America!!!

Hurray!!! Love that freedom of opinion.  send those letters, express those beliefs, and after those senders are done with all of their correspondence, please remember that, in a free country,  others have the rights to their beliefs too.  

God bless all those tribes that have the right to freedoms  & beliefs, in this country.

After all, disagreement on any subject, including mascot names, is part of the American Spirit.

Gotta' love it!!!

In response see previous posts above.  In case you failed to read them.  Peace!

4 hours ago, png9mon said:

Once again the Proclamation was made to the INDIANS of Port Neches-Groves.  The other tribes, be it Apache, Atakapa, Utes, Karankawa...are entitled to send proclamations as they see fit.  Also, they may choose to not use the word Indians to describe themselves, or their tribes.  It does not diminish, in any way, the validity of the proclamation we received.

Once again, my friends, if you were not raised in the atmosphere & spirit, you will never understand, but I do respect your opinion.

3 hours ago, png9mon said:

God Bless America!!!

Hurray!!! Love that freedom of opinion.  send those letters, express those beliefs, and after those senders are done with all of their correspondence, please remember that, in a free country,  others have the rights to their beliefs too.  

God bless all those tribes that have the right to freedoms  & beliefs, in this country.

After all, disagreement on any subject, including mascot names, is part of the American Spirit.

Gotta' love it!!!

As you may not have remembered, please see my previous posts above

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

1.  I’m not claiming to know what Native Americans think... Santa is the one claiming that things are offensive to Native American as well as blacks people. Either he’s the first bi-racial Indian/black ever (because apparently they don’t like each other very much, lol), or he’s speaking out on something for which he has no basis. 
2. “Leave the past in the past” they cry.... unless they want reparations. 

The bottom line is this. The flag didn’t bother anybody way back around the time that PN got that letter from the Cherokees. People who were never oppressed decided to be offended by it in these modern times. 

If I can’t possibly understand what the n-word means to black people, by the same token they can’t possibly understand what that flag means to Southerners. 

The truth of the matter is that it isn’t just the rebel flag. It’s the American flag, the national anthem, the founding fathers, Christianity.... the left wants to destroy every single bit of it.  It’s not some crazy theory... they’ll scream it in your face. 

You're getting some stuff mixed up. Repetitions is money due for work and services not paid for. 

Whether we think the payments were fair, the United States has paid reparations to people it had wronged such as Native Americans (via reservation and the current Indian bureau), Chinese Americans, and Japanese Americans. Black people, nope, no payment. so it's not unreasonable to expect payment especially since this county benefited from 250 years of unpaid labor and another 120 years of Jim crow depressed wages.

As for the Confederate flag, it's a traitors flag. The officers renounced their sworn commissions in the US Army to commit treason to fight against the United States so a rich few people could continue to own other people. The Confederacy and all the states in rebellion all stated in their constitution that they were committed to slavery and planned to expand it and they were fighting the United States to preserve slavery.

Is that a heritage you want to honor? The right to own other people?  if you're gonna fly that flag, at least fly the right one. it's a blank white sheet. it's also known as the surrender flag. The KKK eventually adopted it as their wardrobe. Be better than that.

2 minutes ago, png9mon said:

In response see previous posts above.  In case you failed to read them.  Peace!

Thanks, but I have a question. Are you ok with the Confederate flag as a tradition? Are you ok with the use of racial slurs, traditionally speaking? Do you care that entire Native American tribes are hurt by your use of their culture simply for your tradition and entertainment? Is it incumbent on each tribe to “check in” with your team on the misuse of their race and culture, or should it be the other way around? Is it ok for non-whites to be passed on jobs of higher pay and skill because traditionally that’s the way it always was. Do you think blacks should get to vote? Do women deserve equal pay for equal jobs? Do you think the term Scalp ‘Em is appropriate? Is their ever a time your mascot and team name won’t be considered racist? Are you white? 

33 minutes ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

Black people, nope, no payment. so it's not unreasonable to expect payment especially since this county benefited from 250 years of unpaid labor and another 120 years of Jim crow depressed wages.

You are silly... Where does the money come from?

Oh cool, a multiple level question: 

1) First, to clarify, The Stars & Bars, which is the original Confederate Flag is not the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, which is the flag we associate with the Confederacy now. (Please read your history carefully.)  I do not believe we need to honor the flag that is accepted as the Confederate Flag, now.  

2) I see no "tribes" suffering from the traditions of PNG.  If the mascot name offends, I welcome visitors from every tribal nation to come & study & observe how we keep our traditions.

3) I have no control, currently as to how, or why people are promoted.  i am aware of selective preference in the past, & I am sure it still occurs.  I appreciate the work efforts of anyone who places their job performance as a priority.

4) Once again, please check your history, African American people, (or as you call them "black") already have the vote & may exercise that right within the law.

5) Equal pay will always depend on performance, not whether, or not you are a man, or woman.  Once again injustice occurs, however, I assure you I am one of only 3 men in an office with 10 other women.  These ladies are professional, hard working & well-paid for their performance.

6) Yes, I do agree with the term Scalp 'em.  it was the last act of the Plains area Native Americans over their enemies (Be that enemy native, hispanic, or white.)  It symbolizes the PNG victory over our nemesis, or opponent in the terms of our Spirit & Tradition.

7) I in no way consider the term "Indian" racist unless it is being used to degrade a culture.  At PNG we honor that culture & are proud to do so!

😎 According to my DNA profile, I am 40% German, 23% French, 17% polish, 10% East African & 10% Black Foot Lakota  (Native American)

Please feel free to ask more questions, if you are confused.  Thank you for the survey.  I am going home from work now.

Good Day!

1 hour ago, png9mon said:

Oh cool, a multiple level question: 

1) First, to clarify, The Stars & Bars, which is the original Confederate Flag is not the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, which is the flag we associate with the Confederacy now. (Please read your history carefully.)  I do not believe we need to honor the flag that is accepted as the Confederate Flag, now.  

2) I see no "tribes" suffering from the traditions of PNG.  If the mascot name offends, I welcome visitors from every tribal nation to come & study & observe how we keep our traditions.

3) I have no control, currently as to how, or why people are promoted.  i am aware of selective preference in the past, & I am sure it still occurs.  I appreciate the work efforts of anyone who places their job performance as a priority.

4) Once again, please check your history, African American people, (or as you call them "black") already have the vote & may exercise that right within the law.

5) Equal pay will always depend on performance, not whether, or not you are a man, or woman.  Once again injustice occurs, however, I assure you I am one of only 3 men in an office with 10 other women.  These ladies are professional, hard working & well-paid for their performance.

6) Yes, I do agree with the term Scalp 'em.  it was the last act of the Plains area Native Americans over their enemies (Be that enemy native, hispanic, or white.)  It symbolizes the PNG victory over our nemesis, or opponent in the terms of our Spirit & Tradition.

7) I in no way consider the term "Indian" racist unless it is being used to degrade a culture.  At PNG we honor that culture & are proud to do so!

😎 According to my DNA profile, I am 40% German, 23% French, 17% polish, 10% East African & 10% Black Foot Lakota  (Native American)

Please feel free to ask more questions, if you are confused.  Thank you for the survey.  I am going home from work now.

Good Day!

Dang! Your more Indian than Elizabeth Warren! 😁

25 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That @png9mon is a racist. Pretty simple. 

It is time to end this thread. I will not have people attacking me personally, nor will I respond to uneducated claims directed at me, because I  can support my point of view, instead of belittling those who have an opposing view. This is my last response to this volatile thread. God bless all of you including SmashMouth. 

26 minutes ago, png9mon said:

It is time to end this thread. I will not have people attacking me personally, nor will I respond to uneducated claims directed at me, because I  can support my point of view, instead of belittling those who have an opposing view. This is my last response to this volatile thread. God bless all of you including SmashMouth. 

It wasn’t an attack. It’s a fact. By your own admission even. You just don’t see your racist tendencies. 

Quitters never win. Winners never quit. I win! 😎
Sorry you got your feelings hurt. Wasn’t personal ...

Just now, WOSdrummer99 said:

Careful bro, some accusations don't wash off as easy as purple paint.

I agree 100%. My reason for the hard time with him was kind of an exercise in what racism means to some isn’t the same to others. Especially when it’s not related to White vs Black topics. I’m gonna post on it here in a bit.