Nederland/United Scrimmage?

6 hours ago, Baba Ganoush32 said:

Hefner, McMorris and Pete (football) did not play. That being said, it wouldn’t have mattered. BU is big, long and athletic. They didn’t shoot great but didn’t need to. Ball pressure was impressive with turnovers. Can’t wait for them to drop to 5A next year 😐 

Hard to say that the best player in the area not playing wouldn't have mattered 🤔

Picking the best player in the area is hard lol Everyone has a different definition of being the best player. 

Potential?

Scoring?

Overall?

Athletic ability?

Who is getting a scholarship to the better program? 

Most important to their team? 

So many factors to break down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because someone has the potential to go further in their career does not mean they are a better HS basketball player. We see it time and time again! Colleges go for potential, size, academics, athleticism, etc. If you were picking against someone else to create the best 5 man lineup of setx HS basketball, not everyone would pick the same person first. It really is a never ending discussion! 

59 minutes ago, Plus 1 said:

Welcome to Sports message boards. I'd be interested to hear your candidates. 

1. Harrison (United)

2. Clover (PA Memorial )

3. Lofton (PA Memorial)

4. Bush (Silsbee)

5. Pleasant (United)

6. Hefner (Nederland)

7. Catt (Orangefield) * Arcenaux (United)

8. Caesar (E-C)

9. Thomas (West Brook)

10. Subject (United)

* updated

50 minutes ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

Picking the best player in the area is hard lol Everyone has a different definition of being the best player. 

Potential?

Scoring?

Overall?

Athletic ability?

Who is getting a scholarship to the better program? 

Most important to their team? 

So many factors to break down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because someone has the potential to go further in their career does not mean they are a better HS basketball player. We see it time and time again! Colleges go for potential, size, academics, athleticism, etc. If you were picking against someone else to create the best 5 man lineup of setx HS basketball, not everyone would pick the same person first. It really is a never ending discussion! 

Overall ability encompasses all other variables, so this has to be what you judge the best player by.

I'm not trying to make a lineup, cause I'm not picking positions, you have to pick 1 guy to build your team around. Who ya got?

I'll be honest as well, and this will probably hurt some feelings but its just my opinion, I don't see how your college recruitment has no say in your ability as a high school player. Don't give me "potential" either because colleges aren't giving away scholarships based on how good you might be. Might be an unpopular opinion but oh well.

5 minutes ago, Plus 1 said:

Overall ability encompasses all other variables, so this has to be what you judge the best player by.

I'm not trying to make a lineup, cause I'm not picking positions, you have to pick 1 guy to build your team around. Who ya got?

I'll be honest as well, and this will probably hurt some feelings but its just my opinion, I don't see how your college recruitment has no say in your ability as a high school player. Don't give me "potential" either because colleges aren't giving away scholarships based on how good you might be. Might be an unpopular opinion but oh well.

I know for sure colleges recruit based on potential. When I say potential, I mean body frame, size, etc. Some HS kids are done growing and have filled out. Some have a lot of room to develop. This is coming from college coaches that I have talked to about recruiting. 

2 hours ago, Plus 1 said:

I agree with this.  COMPLETELY! 

If I was coaching a team myself and I had anyone to choose from, I'm picking Kasen. The ONLY reason I'm picking him is because of how long we've put in work and that rapport that's been built. Hefner is a better prospect, and I really hate saying that, but that's just the way it is. One of the best coaches in the country feels the same way.  People can make excuses as to why Hefner got the aTm offer, but let me help you, it wasn't to fill a spot or being at the top of his class. He's 6'5 that can put his head at the rim and can facilitate and score with the best of them. Please don't get it confused.

58 minutes ago, 2020VISION said:

If I was coaching a team myself and I had anyone to choose from, I'm picking Kasen. The ONLY reason I'm picking him is because of how long we've put in work and that rapport that's been built. Hefner is a better prospect, and I really hate saying that, but that's just the way it is. One of the best coaches in the country feels the same way.  People can make excuses as to why Hefner got the aTm offer, but let me help you, it wasn't to fill a spot or being at the top of his class. He's 6'5 that can put his head at the rim and can facilitate and score with the best of them. Please don't get it confused.

I understand that point but also by him playing on the circuit he was more visible than Harrison...you put Harrison with any shoe circuit team and he stays there and he's a high mid major talent...only mid major to major talent because of his height would be the only thing they may bring up because he's a scoring point guard that can facilitate but hes had to be that to help his teams over the years...