Sign in to follow this  
BADSANTA

BMT Enterprise Super Gold Teams Basketball

Recommended Posts

1

I’m well aware of how difficult it is to narrow this down to five.  Virtually impossible.  Perhaps they should increase it to 10?  I know it may seem like it makes it less significant, but I wonder how many, like me, know a player and wonder, how did they keep him off.  Braden Bridges, from LCM, is one I think could’ve (should’ve?) been on there.  The kid is a shooter.  If you’re not in his face, he scores, and if you’re in his face, he still may score.  Jmo

And no, I don’t know the kid.  Wouldn’t recognize him if he walked up to me.  Just saw him a couple of games, and had a kid I know tell me he was the toughest guy he ever had to guard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’m well aware of how difficult it is to narrow this down to five.  Virtually impossible.  Perhaps they should increase it to 10?  I know it may seem like it makes it less significant, but I wonder how many, like me, know a player and wonder, how did they keep him off.  Braden Bridges, from LCM, is one I think could’ve (should’ve?) been on there.  The kid is a shooter.  If you’re not in his face, he scores, and if you’re in his face, he still may score.  Jmo

And no, I don’t know the kid.  Wouldn’t recognize him if he walked up to me.  Just saw him a couple of games, and had a kid I know tell me he was the toughest guy he ever had to guard.  

Very tough to limit it to 5.  They usually have a second team though which makes 10 who get honored.  At the same time, I also love that the Enterprise does it like the all NBA team and ONLY puts 5 on the first team.  A lot of all district teams for instance get watered down (as we’ve all talked about).  

Really like the Bridges kid’s game as well. The best player not on the team, however, in my opinion is McCain.  Incredible talented kid who affects the game in a multitude of ways.  

But I can’t argue against any of the 5 on the list.  And they absolutely got the MVP right with Adams. Good job by Meshach and the guys at the BE.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Very tough to limit it to 5.  They usually have a second team though which makes 10 who get honored.  At the same time, I also love that the Enterprise does it like the all NBA team and ONLY puts 5 on the first team.  A lot of all district teams for instance get watered down (as we’ve all talked about).  

Really like the Bridges kid’s game as well. The best player not on the team, however, in my opinion is McCain.  Incredible talented kid who affects the game in a multitude of ways.  

But I can’t argue against any of the 5 on the list.  And they absolutely got the MVP right with Adams. Good job by Meshach and the guys at the BE.  

I agree about watered down All District, but when looking at the whole area, at minimum a second team should be named.  Still a prestigious honor when you consider the number of great teams and players in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, Hagar said:

I’m well aware of how difficult it is to narrow this down to five.  Virtually impossible.  Perhaps they should increase it to 10?  I know it may seem like it makes it less significant, but I wonder how many, like me, know a player and wonder, how did they keep him off.  Braden Bridges, from LCM, is one I think could’ve (should’ve?) been on there.  The kid is a shooter.  If you’re not in his face, he scores, and if you’re in his face, he still may score.  Jmo

And no, I don’t know the kid.  Wouldn’t recognize him if he walked up to me.  Just saw him a couple of games, and had a kid I know tell me he was the toughest guy he ever had to guard.  

Braden was an average player on a bad team as a freshmen.  Fast forward three years and he's averaging just under 27 points a game...on a team that only averaged 55.  He is a prime example of a kid putting in the work and ending up as a really good player.  He is committed to Coach Stan Bonewitz at Concordia and should sign soon so we are excited to see what the future holds.

As far as not making the Super Gold First Team, the five they chose were all very deserving of the honor.  With that said, you could probably pick an entirely different five and they would still be deserving.  There a lot of really good players in our area this year.  I do think that if you're going to call something the First Team it leads one to believe that there will be a Second Team.  Why not just call it the Super Gold Team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bear Cave said:

Braden was an average player on a bad team as a freshmen.  Fast forward three years and he's averaging just under 27 points a game...on a team that only averaged 55.  He is a prime example of a kid putting in the work and ending up as a really good player.  He is committed to Coach Stan Bonewitz at Concordia and should sign soon so we are excited to see what the future holds.

As far as not making the Super Gold First Team, the five they chose were all very deserving of the honor.  With that said, you could probably pick an entirely different five and they would still be deserving.  There a lot of really good players in our area this year.  I do think that if you're going to call something the First Team it leads one to believe that there will be a Second Team.  Why not just call it the Super Gold Team?

I agree 100%.  The first 5 are great, and again, it’s virtually impossible to narrow it down to 5.

Glad Braden’s getting a shot.  I heard he works his tale off.  Well deserved, and best of luck to him, and all the other great basketball players in our area getting to play at the next level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
On 4/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, Hagar said:

I’m well aware of how difficult it is to narrow this down to five.  Virtually impossible.  Perhaps they should increase it to 10?  I know it may seem like it makes it less significant, but I wonder how many, like me, know a player and wonder, how did they keep him off.  Braden Bridges, from LCM, is one I think could’ve (should’ve?) been on there.  The kid is a shooter.  If you’re not in his face, he scores, and if you’re in his face, he still may score.  Jmo

And no, I don’t know the kid.  Wouldn’t recognize him if he walked up to me.  Just saw him a couple of games, and had a kid I know tell me he was the toughest guy he ever had to guard.  

No offense...but that's exactly how it starts.  That's exactly how you end up with an MVP, two Co-OFF MVPs, two Co-DEF MVPs,  9 1st teamers and 11 2nd teamers in a district of fewer than 8 teams (example).  Personally, it's refreshing to me to see it actually done right.  5 starters on a basketball team...5 kids on a 1ST TEAM anything basketball related.  These 5 kids that were chosen were done so for a reason and that's just how it is. 1st Team basketball = 5 kids.  1st Team football = 11 kids.  1st Team baseball = 9 kids.  Period.

Well done, Beaumont Super Gold committee.  Congratulations to all players involved and/or considered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be advised, I’m not for everyone getting a trophy.  And yes, the All-District Awards get way out of hand, especially when some Districts only have 5, 6, or 7 teams.  Starters alone you’re only talking about 25 to 35 kids.  Then 15 get some award.  And I respect your view and opinion.

That said, the SuperGold is a little different scenario.  Being conservative, we have about 35 schools in the immediate area.  That’s 175 starters.  And these folks have to pick only 5 for the SuperGold.  Even expanding it to ten would still be extremely difficult, but yes, it has to stop somewhere.   And there will always be a few players that people think should be on there, no matter how many.  But as it stands now, Kudos to the 5 lucky kids who got picked.  Are they the absolute best 5?  Who knows, but they’re the 5 who got picked.  And wouldn’t they make a heckuva Team, but no subs if one fouls out :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hagar said:

Be advised, I’m not for everyone getting a trophy.  And yes, the All-District Awards get way out of hand, especially when some Districts only have 5, 6, or 7 teams.  Starters alone you’re only talking about 25 to 35 kids.  Then 15 get some award.  And I respect your view and opinion.

That said, the SuperGold is a little different scenario.  Being conservative, we have about 35 schools in the immediate area.  That’s 175 starters.  And these folks have to pick only 5 for the SuperGold.  Even expanding it to ten would still be extremely difficult, but yes, it has to stop somewhere.   And there will always be a few players that people think should be on there, no matter how many.  But as it stands now, Kudos to the 5 lucky kids who got picked.  Are they the absolute best 5?  Who knows, but they’re the 5 who got picked.  And wouldn’t they make a heckuva Team, but no subs if one fouls out :) 

I'm not implying that you're for "everyone getting a trophy" just stating that it HAS to have a limit and in my opinion, this is a good one to have.  I know there are several teams in the area but remember that up until very recently there were only 10 kids on the 1st Team All-State for each class and 10 2nd teamers (according to TABC).  Now they just do 20 All-State kids.  That's out of hundreds of teams and it usually always includes the 4 or 5 kids that were on the State Tournament All-tournament team (which I don't agree with). 

I'll agree with you that there are probably enough teams in the area to expand it some and still not be considered watered down.. It's just refreshing (like I said) to see it done this way as it makes it more prestigious for those chosen since it's so few.  You're 100% correct about All-District awards these days... way out of hand is a much more politically correct description than I would have used.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bear Cave said:

I anticipate there being a second team published in the near future.

They usually do one every year.  And like you pointed out, having a “first team” implies there will be a second. 

I think McCain obviously, Bridges (who I think led the area in scoring), and Alex Connell (who I think led the area in assists) should be on it.   After that it becomes tough again.  Both bigs at Memorial were very good and I’m sure there are plenty I’m missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

They usually do one every year.  And like you pointed out, having a “first team” implies there will be a second. 

I think McCain obviously, Bridges (who I think led the area in scoring), and Alex Connell (who I think led the area in assists) should be on it.   After that it becomes tough again.  Both bigs at Memorial were very good and I’m sure there are plenty I’m missing. 

Well, I’ve been chosen to announce a few award winners.  And this is basketball only.  So ladies and Gentlemen, here goes.

The - Putting up with more bs than a man should have to Award, once again goes to WOSgrad

The Pot Stirring Award, and this was close folks, goes to BMTSoulja1

The Greatest Fan Award, another close one, goes to stevenash.  Ironically, the Coach of the Team steve is a fan of, has raised objections, but for the time being, he’ll get to keep the Award.

The Greatest Bookie Award goes to the best point spread man outside of Vegas, AAW

And finally, the coveted Referee Appreciation Award goes to that friend of the pin stripes, none other than our own TxHoops.

Btw, I got the full of bs Award (again)

This years judges, no-look, Fergton, and About a week ago.  Thanks to these gentlemen for taking the time to screw up a good awards program.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Well, I’ve been chosen to announce a few award winners.  And this is basketball only.  So ladies and Gentlemen, here goes.

The - Putting up with more bs than a man should have to Award, once again goes to WOSgrad

The Pot Stirring Award, and this was close folks, goes to BMTSoulja1

The Greatest Fan Award, another close one, goes to stevenash.  Ironically, the Coach of the Team steve is a fan of, has raised objections, but for the time being, he’ll get to keep the Award.

The Greatest Bookie Award goes to the best point spread man outside of Vegas, AAW

And finally, the coveted Referee Appreciation Award goes to that friend of the pin stripes, none other than our own TxHoops.

Btw, I got the full of bs Award (again)

This years judges, no-look, Fergton, and About a week ago.  Thanks to these gentlemen for taking the time to screw up a good awards program.

 

Classic!   Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had 4 coaches that picked a team of 5 and there was a tournament for the fun of it, whichever coach got 1st pick would NOT pick someone off this list first. People get to tied up in not picking to many kids off of one team. If Silsbee had the 3 of the top 5 kids in the area, all 3 should be on this team. Do not get me wrong, this group of kids is a nice group! But a top 5 list of the area that does not have McCain on it is silly to me! Other than that, the list is perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hagar said:

Well, I’ve been chosen to announce a few award winners.  And this is basketball only.  So ladies and Gentlemen, here goes.

The - Putting up with more bs than a man should have to Award, once again goes to WOSgrad

The Pot Stirring Award, and this was close folks, goes to BMTSoulja1

The Greatest Fan Award, another close one, goes to stevenash.  Ironically, the Coach of the Team steve is a fan of, has raised objections, but for the time being, he’ll get to keep the Award.

The Greatest Bookie Award goes to the best point spread man outside of Vegas, AAW

And finally, the coveted Referee Appreciation Award goes to that friend of the pin stripes, none other than our own TxHoops.

Btw, I got the full of bs Award (again)

This years judges, no-look, Fergton, and About a week ago.  Thanks to these gentlemen for taking the time to screw up a good awards program.

 

I am so gratified to have received such a prestigious designation.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Not any more.   Havent uttered a word to a ref in three years, believe it or not.  But, I must confess, I was a world beater in that department prior to that.

Watching HS basketball games for 3 years without once verbally correcting a referee, is an achievement far beyond our local awards.  I’m thinking a Nobel Peace Prize. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    41,178
    Total Members
    1,432
    Most Online
    dal818
    Newest Member
    dal818
    Joined


×
×
  • Create New...