Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1989NDN

Former First Lady Laura Bush - Opinion Regarding Immigration

23 posts in this topic

www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/article/Laura-Bush-Separating-children-from-their-13002381.php

Thoughts?

Go Indians.  Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/article/Laura-Bush-Separating-children-from-their-13002381.php

Thoughts?

Go Indians.  Peace.

She's wrong!  Touchy-Feely as a strategy never works.  Where was she when obuma was doing all his evil things?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a very simple solution to having your kids taken from you at the border. DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER ILLEGALLY. Problem solved.

I really don't get why so many people misplace blame in situations like this. If a mom is caught shoplifting or writing bad checks, should we not arrest her if she has kids. Can no mother, nor father, be incarcerated if they have kids. The illegals choose to put their kids in a situation where they might be separated. I for one will NOT blame ICE/officers for enforcement of our laws.

LumRaiderFan, 77, baddog and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reagan

1. What is wrong with the opinions of Mrs. Bush?

2. Do you disagree with Mrs. Bush because her criticism rings hollow?  See www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/laura-bushs-critique-of-trumps-immigration-policy-rings-hollow.

 

Nash

1. How large is the situation?  Where is the evidence to support your claim?

2.  How large does the situation need to be before it becomes a moral issue that should be discussed?

 

Englebert

1. Do we punish the sons/daughters for the sins of the parents?

2. Immigration laws need to be enforced.  We should examine the means to the end.  Is there is a way to do it so we don't separate kids from parents?  I don't want to see concentration camps in the Rio Grande Valley or in El Paso.  Why not just keep the families together and then deport them all to their town/region/country of origin?  Why separate them?

 

Go Indians.  Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

Reagan

1. What is wrong with the opinions of Mrs. Bush?

2. Do you disagree with Mrs. Bush because her criticism rings hollow?  See www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/laura-bushs-critique-of-trumps-immigration-policy-rings-hollow.

 

Nash

1. How large is the situation?  Where is the evidence to support your claim?

2.  How large does the situation need to be before it becomes a moral issue that should be discussed?

 

Englebert

1. Do we punish the sons/daughters for the sins of the parents?

2. Immigration laws need to be enforced.  We should examine the means to the end.  Is there is a way to do it so we don't separate kids from parents?  I don't want to see concentration camps in the Rio Grande Valley or in El Paso.  Why not just keep the families together and then deport them all to their town/region/country of origin?  Why separate them?

 

Go Indians.  Peace.

They are separated because the law says for the adults to be placed in a detention center. The law also says that minors cannot be placed in these same detention centers. Therefore, they are separated. We can change the law. I don't recall anyone arguing against that. And I would have no problem with concentration camps. But like a good Liberal in training, I would choose to change the name to a less harsher connotation, like "tent city" or "undocumented palace of enchantment".

And if all we did was deport them, what incentive do illegals have to not just come back over the border. Do you think there should be punishment for illegally entering the U.S.? One time? Twice? 15 times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if a parent breaks the law in the US, say shoplifting, should they not be arrested and subject to separation from their children simply because they have kids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LumRadier Fan

No.  Likewise, if your parents fail to pay income taxes or if they shoplift, we don't send you to jail.  We don't punish the sons/daughters for the sins of the parents.  I think Englebert hits close to the answer.  Something that most reasonable people will agree upon.  Legislators need to change the law.  If you are going to deport families that come here illegally, then keep them together and return them to their country of origin.  Separating families and putting people in "tent cities" or "undocumented palaces of enchantment" is not the moral answer that I think most Americans want.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

LumRadier Fan

No.  Likewise, if your parents fail to pay income taxes or if they shoplift, we don't send you to jail.  We don't punish the sons/daughters for the sins of the parents.  I think Englebert hits close to the answer.  Something that most reasonable people will agree upon.  Legislators need to change the law.  If you are going to deport families that come here illegally, then keep them together and return them to their country of origin.  Separating families and putting people in "tent cities" or "undocumented palaces of enchantment" is not the moral answer that I think most Americans want.

Go Indians.  Peace.

If someone breaks the law and goes to jail, it is them that are punishing their children, no one else.  That’s what is wrong in so many areas...we don’t seem to want to place blame on those that actually deserve it.

This is not as simple as simply deporting entire familes, but I’ll throw it back to you, what would your solution be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How or where do you propose we house (detain) these lawbreakers until we can deport them? Should we stick with the catch and release program, in which the vast majority never bother to show up for their court hearings?

Should a 30 year old father of three who illegally immigrates to our country be given preferential treatment over an illegal single 30 year old man?

And again, should these illegals face repercussions for their flaunting of our laws? How about for repeated violations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Clinton passed a law in 1966 that separated children from adults illegally entering America.

The libs cheered ( that would include 90% of the media)

Obama enforced this same law throughout his presidency and the libs/media cheered.

President Trump is now left to deal with it and those same cheering liberals are outraged.

 

Give me a freaking break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1989NDN said:

Reagan

1. What is wrong with the opinions of Mrs. Bush?

2. Do you disagree with Mrs. Bush because her criticism rings hollow?  See www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/laura-bushs-critique-of-trumps-immigration-policy-rings-hollow.

 

Nash

1. How large is the situation?  Where is the evidence to support your claim?

2.  How large does the situation need to be before it becomes a moral issue that should be discussed?

 

Englebert

1. Do we punish the sons/daughters for the sins of the parents?

2. Immigration laws need to be enforced.  We should examine the means to the end.  Is there is a way to do it so we don't separate kids from parents?  I don't want to see concentration camps in the Rio Grande Valley or in El Paso.  Why not just keep the families together and then deport them all to their town/region/country of origin?  Why separate them?

 

Go Indians.  Peace.

Perhaps as large as the abortion issue?

REBgp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Perhaps as large as the abortion issue?

I’d have to say that’s a drop the mic statement.

Libs love to preach about morality and conveniently ignore the casual decision to murder the most innocent, and pass it off as a choice or planned parenthood.

REBgp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I’d have to say that’s a drop the mic statement.

Libs love to preach about morality and conveniently ignore the casual decision to murder the most innocent, and pass it off as a choice or planned parenthood.

Hmmm I wonder why they dont like to talk about the large increase in the killing of peace officers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Hmmm I wonder why they dont like to talk about the large increase in the killing of peace officers?

Oh they will...the left will try to spin it like it started after Trump took office.

Their advantage will be sponges that don’t really pay attention to hard news but opt to go with the latest sound bite.

AKA low information voters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abortion - I'm not in favor of it.  All life has value.  Be the best mother/father you can be.  Being a parent is best job that I ever had.

Killing of Peace Officers - it is insane that this is even an issue in a civilized society.  A first responder is special.  Anyone who puts his/her life in jeopardy so that our public spaces are safe is a special person, and one that I am thankful for and happy to support with my tax dollars.  Those that kill or injure first responders should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Immigration - respect and protect international borders.  It is harsh to separate small children from their mother and father.  Keep them together in a detention center and prosecute them under the law; return them to their country of origin.

Not all centrists or slightly left leaning people are crazy or hell bent on destroying the USA.

Go Indians.  Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may misunderstand this whole issue, but I’m under the impression that the adults are arrested and the children merely detained.  The connotation of those two words is miles apart.   Now the headlines read, 2,500 children separated from their parents.  Not a great deal, but better than the headlines, 2,500 children arrested (with their parents).  Essentially, the parents are incarcerated.  Would children be safe in that kind of environment, or subject to abuse or sexual assault by the adults?  We don’t put American kids with their parents in prison.  And we can’t build Holiday Inn Expresses so everyone will have a nice room w/cable TV.  And I’d bet you 95% of the kids being retained are probably getting some of the best treatment they had in their lives, albeit without their parents.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

Abortion - I'm not in favor of it.  All life has value.  Be the best mother/father you can be.  Being a parent is best job that I ever had.

Killing of Peace Officers - it is insane that this is even an issue in a civilized society.  A first responder is special.  Anyone who puts his/her life in jeopardy so that our public spaces are safe is a special person, and one that I am thankful for and happy to support with my tax dollars.  Those that kill or injure first responders should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Immigration - respect and protect international borders.  It is harsh to separate small children from their mother and father.  Keep them together in a detention center and prosecute them under the law; return them to their country of origin.

Not all centrists or slightly left leaning people are crazy or hell bent on destroying the USA.

Go Indians.  Peace.

If "parents" purposefully and willfully put themselves and their children in a situation that might require them to be separated if caught, somehow you want to blame the law enforcer instead of laying blame squarely on the shoulders of where it belongs...the parents. I don't find it "harsh" at all to separate them. In fact, I would encourage the practice as a deterrent to those who seek to invade our country. I would put billboards all along the border stating: "Invade our country...lose your kids!".

And the definition of "centrist" or "Left leaning" varies wildly depending of the leanings of the person doing the defining.

baddog likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been keeping up with the news lately, so forgive me if I missed this. A judge has ordered ICE to re-unite kids with their parents that have been arrested for crossing the border illegally. As little as I know about this issue, my understanding was that illegal border crossers will be arrested. Any minor illegally crossing the border will also be detained, but cannot be incarcerated in an adult detention center...thus separation of kids from parents. Now I hear that a judge has ordered ICE to reunite the families. In what little I know, this judgement seems to be in violation of federal law. My question to the law scholars out here is what authority does this judge have to make a ruling that defies federal law. Again, I have not kept up with this issue and the judgement could be perfectly okay, but is contrary to my rudimentary understanding of the law. Wil someone please explain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Englebert said:

I haven't been keeping up with the news lately, so forgive me if I missed this. A judge has ordered ICE to re-unite kids with their parents that have been arrested for crossing the border illegally. As little as I know about this issue, my understanding was that illegal border crossers will be arrested. Any minor illegally crossing the border will also be detained, but cannot be incarcerated in an adult detention center...thus separation of kids from parents. Now I hear that a judge has ordered ICE to reunite the families. In what little I know, this judgement seems to be in violation of federal law. My question to the law scholars out here is what authority does this judge have to make a ruling that defies federal law. Again, I have not kept up with this issue and the judgement could be perfectly okay, but is contrary to my rudimentary understanding of the law. Wil someone please explain?

I can’t explain it but it makes me beat my head on the wall.  I do want to put my .02 cents worth in.  

The Democrats have attempted to rule our country for years via the judicial branch of government.  In 2013, Reid enacted the “nuclear option”, so Obama could fill the courts with liberal Fed Judges and ensure Dems control one branch of Govt.  And though it may have happened in my lifetime and I wasn’t aware, I’ve never remember, in my 72 years, our Judicial Branch repeatedly overruling the other two Branches of our Govt, as they do now.  And I might add, getting their rulings overturned by the SCOTUS (a long process).  The Dems realize, whoever controls the Judicial Branch, controls the Government.  It appears to be the most powerful of the 3 branches.  Heaven forbid liberal judges getting control of the SCOTUS.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/08/dems_target_federal_judiciary_to_ensure_obamas_leagacy.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0