District 23-3A

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Based on some early scores I've seen I'm thinking Kountze takes the district.  Before the season started I was thinking that it would be EC based on what they had coming back and the move-ins...But I haven't been overly impressed with the EC scores I've seen... yet.  That may change.  And I'm hearing Kountze may have depth issues at some point and that may be an issue in bigger games (EC).  But my gut is saying Kountze.  I wouldn't be surprised if they split in the district though.

Buna's scores are deceptive but I think they take 3rd.

Don't know a whole lot about Kirbyville.  I guess Anahuac takes 4th...?  

The other 3 may fight it out for the (Don't be last) trophy. 

EC's 19pt win over Bridge City and their dismantle of WOS are pretty impressive to me. Orangefield was a tough matchup, that win probably impressed me the most. The resiliency of the team to fight back and win. They had two spurts in the game in which they outscored OF by 10 in less than two minutes. A 12-2 run (to start the game) and a 10-0 run. Kountze-East Chambers will be a fun game to watch. 

11 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

The depth issues for Kountze will improve once they get a couple guys back but still may be a issue. Also Kountzes new PG is still learning the Kountze play style. I wouldn’t be shocked if they split with EC. I’m not counting Buna Out. Losing to Huntington after blowing a 21 Point lead raises a eyebrow but so does EC losing to Orangefield. Should be fun by the time district rolls around.

EC did not lose to Orangefield. EC is undefeated on the season. Beat WO-S in finals of Evadale tourney by 30

12 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

EC's 19pt win over Bridge City and their dismantle of WOS are pretty impressive to me. Orangefield was a tough matchup, that win probably impressed me the most. The resiliency of the team to fight back and win. They had two spurts in the game in which they outscored OF by 10 in less than two minutes. A 12-2 run (to start the game) and a 10-0 run. Kountze-East Chambers will be a fun game to watch. 

Well, their game with Orangefield is precisely what gave me the feeling I have.  After going to OT with Lumberton (Ofield)...then the barnburner with Legacy...then OT again with EC...I don't know.  I'm entitled to an opinion just like anyone.  And this is my early opinion.

3 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Oh I definitely agree. Probably not to Cleveland as well which I think that was another game where they blew a lead.

Cleveland game Kountze had foul trouble. 2 players fouled out. Same with Huntington.

The games I saw EC play they rotated 9. EC has way more depth than Kountze.

EC didn't lose to Orangefield. They also have 4 new players learning Sutherland's system.

22 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

The depth issues for Kountze will improve once they get a couple guys back but still may be a issue. Also Kountzes new PG is still learning the Kountze play style. I wouldn’t be shocked if they split with EC. I’m not counting Buna Out. Losing to Huntington after blowing a 21 Point lead raises a eyebrow but so does EC losing to Orangefield. Should be fun by the time district rolls around.

5 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

I wonder why Kountze isn’t in the HJ Marathon this year?

Joubert decided it wasn't best for his current team to play that many games in a three day period. 6 games in three days with just basically 6 players would be tough.

He told me what tourney he was playing this week but I cannot remember.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Joubert decided it wasn't best for his current team to play that many games in a three day period. 6 games in three days with just basically 6 players would be tough.

Oh ok yeah I didn’t think they weren’t gonna play at all this week.

10 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It’s the Union Grove Tournament 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Well, their game with Orangefield is precisely what gave me the feeling I have.  After going to OT with Lumberton (Ofield)...then the barnburner with Legacy...then OT again with EC...I don't know.  I'm entitled to an opinion just like anyone.  And this is my early opinion.

I see your opinion, and I'm not saying Kountze won't win district. I'm just saying EC didn't match up well with OF, but I've seen Kountze and I like that match up. There is no doubt in my mind, both games with Kountze are going to be battles.  

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Orangefield beat Legacy by 25 not sure I would call that a barn burner. 

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

It was sarcasm...and I was referring to the fact that Orangefield scored less than 10 points per quarter.  Against a team that is most likely terrible based on the scored I've seen.

That’s why you actually watching the games gives a little more perspective than looking at scores.  Could have score 70-80 like in other games but gave the bench plenty of playing time and worked on some things.  

I don’t think another team in that district beats WOS by 30-40.  In fact, I probably lay points with the Mustangs against some of the teams who will make the playoffs in that district.   If you’re going to go by scores, that’s the one that should pop.  

7 hours ago, TxHoops said:

That’s why you actually watching the games gives a little more perspective than looking at scores.  Could have score 70-80 like in other games but gave the bench plenty of playing time and worked on some things.  

I don’t think another team in that district beats WOS by 30-40.  In fact, I probably lay points with the Mustangs against some of the teams who will make the playoffs in that district.   If you’re going to go by scores, that’s the one that should pop.  

I agree. Basing your analysis of a team or teams just off of scores can be misleading. Scores do not always tell the whole story, just who won or lost. Seen many a game where a team ended up winning by 8-10 points but led by as much as 20-25 through out the game but reserves gave up the big lead late. Also seen games where a team wins by 20-25 but the game was within 5 points with 3 minutes left, battle all the way.

Again, scores don't always tell the whole story when comparing teams. It's why I try to go watch as many teams as possible. I have seen 100 or more different teams every year the past 7 years.

Someone predicting Kountze to win district is just fine. History says it will happen way more times than not. Looking at a few scores could lead one to predict that as well. But I have seen the top three play (Buna, EC, Kountze) this year. IMO, East Chambers is the best team and will win district.

BTW, I agree with TxHoops. Nobody else in that 23-3A district beats WO-S by 30.

Scores can be misleading as said. It's mostly about matchups. Strengths and weaknesses. A good press break can change an outcome of game.....Which team can do a better job of disrupting what the other team does has a better chance.  I guess what you need is a high scoring offense with a lock down defense. Lol 

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree. Basing your analysis of a team or teams just off of scores can be misleading. Scores do not always tell the whole story, just who won or lost. Seen many a game where a team ended up winning by 8-10 points but led by as much as 20-25 through out the game but reserves gave up the big lead late. Also seen games where a team wins by 20-25 but the game was within 5 points with 3 minutes left, battle all the way.

Again, scores don't always tell the whole story when comparing teams. It's why I try to go watch as many teams as possible. I have seen 100 or more different teams every year the past 7 years.

Someone predicting Kountze to win district is just fine. History says it will happen way more times than not. Looking at a few scores could lead one to predict that as well. But I have seen the top three play (Buna, EC, Kountze) this year. IMO, East Chambers is the best team and will win district.

BTW, I agree with TxHoops. Nobody else in that 23-3A district beats WO-S by 30.

I mean we know you wouldn’t pick Kountze to win anyways. We all know you don’t like them LOL

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

As teams are about to play their second district game has anything changed yalls minds on how this district will finish? I’m thinking 

1.EC

2. Kountze 

3. Buna

4. Kirbyville/Hardin

I would add Warren to the mix for 4th. I have seen all three play (Hardin, Kirbyville, Warren). Those three are pretty even. I give Kirbyville a very very slight edge.