**#10 SILSBEE vs. #1 HOUSTON YATES Broadcast**/Yates wins 100-85!!

[quote name="Kountzer" post="1380251" timestamp="1361936297"]
Well I got to see this season's Silsbee Tigers at full strength.  They are/were very impressive at what they do and that is running.  Good back courts, quick as snakes, and I mean that in a good way.  What they are not good at, and what killed them was shooting free throws, and shooting jump shots in general.  Not only is there outside game missing, they missed too many close in shots and lay ups.

Silsbee would of had to play the perfect game to beat Yates tonight.  Yates had the better team.  I see no reason to hate on JY.  I hope they go all the way.

p.s. Yates' band and cheer group was very entertaining as well.
[/quote]

Thanks. (Good back courts, quick as snakes, and I mean that in a good way) Very true, very true

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380357" timestamp="1361945818"]
It's kind of funny, a part of me wants my Silsbee Tigers to have another shot at the Lions, but the other part says "thanks, but no thanks". ;) ;D
[/quote]

I know the feeling,  I would love to see this team get that chance again but changes could be for the worse.  Looking at next year,  going into the season Yates would be a big favorite,  heck on paper we may be the third place pick in district next year unless Chris gets to play.  Then us and HJ may be a toss up for second. Thats just based on what we have coming back.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380357" timestamp="1361945818"]
It's kind of funny, a part of me wants my Silsbee Tigers to have another shot at the Lions, but the other part says "thanks, but no thanks". ;) ;D
[/quote]

Hopefully we will get another opportunity.  This team Silsbee team we played is the kind of team you want to play if you HONESTLY want to improve your play.  You can't get better playing weaker teams and they showed tonight they are not weak.  We like to play teams of this magnitude. 

[quote name="ST413" post="1380356" timestamp="1361945614"]
[quote author=jackyateshoops link=topic=109808.msg1380353#msg1380353 date=1361945375]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380086#msg1380086 date=1361930010]
Yates you will not be able to bring your refs to Austin if y'all make it.
[/quote]

Was going to post our post and be done.  Wasn't going to respond to ANY of the posts, but this one was too funny.  Are you serious?  You think WE liked the officiating tonight?!! You have to be kidding.  The refs  SCREWED all (Yates and Silsbee) of our kids. Our SENIOR was one away from fouling out.  Majority of our starters also got a lot of bench time because of fouls too.  The only difference was we were able to sit our kids for a while.  They should never ref a game again. And I hope they DO NOT go to AUSTIN either.
[/quote]

I have wondered since last week,  who is the senior.  I believe both programs from tonight and last thursday list 3.  I knew I had heard it was only 1.
[/quote]

Actually the programs were correct.  It was one prior to the football season.  #23 is the senior who plays and is in the starting 5.  He was the one with the 4 fouls for us.  We hate it but when they get 2 or more early, our coach will pull them.  I think the refs tonight were the worst I've ever witnessed. I just wish they would have just allowed the kids (both teams) to play.

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1380365" timestamp="1361947350"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=109808.msg1380356#msg1380356 date=1361945614]
[quote author=jackyateshoops link=topic=109808.msg1380353#msg1380353 date=1361945375]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380086#msg1380086 date=1361930010]
Yates you will not be able to bring your refs to Austin if y'all make it.
[/quote]

Was going to post our post and be done.  Wasn't going to respond to ANY of the posts, but this one was too funny.  Are you serious?  You think WE liked the officiating tonight?!! You have to be kidding.  The refs  SCREWED all (Yates and Silsbee) of our kids. Our SENIOR was one away from fouling out.  Majority of our starters also got a lot of bench time because of fouls too.  The only difference was we were able to sit our kids for a while.  They should never ref a game again. And I hope they DO NOT go to AUSTIN either.
[/quote]

I have wondered since last week,  who is the senior.  I believe both programs from tonight and last thursday list 3.  I knew I had heard it was only 1.
[/quote]

Actually the programs were correct.  It was one prior to the football season.  #23 is the senior who plays and is in the starting 5.  He was the one with the 4 fouls for us.  We hate it but when they get 2 or more early, our coach will pull them.  I think the refs tonight were the worst I've ever witnessed. I just wish they would have just allowed the kids (both teams) to play.
[/quote]

Yes They weren't very good.  I didn't feel they were onesided just not real good.  I saw missed calls on both ends.  It definitely hurt us a little more, just because of the depth issue.  It limited our defensive intensity in the second half.  I would have liked to see if we could have kept up the level of play from the first half,  but that is basketball.  I would like to know what the tech on our #23 was for.  I just didn't see anything there.  I also saw the missed call on the out of bounds play talked about earlier as well.  They also listed Sadiq as a senior on at least one of those I believe.  With everyones talk about size,  it was your guards that hurt us as far as scoring tonight.

To finalize the game look at it this way, Silsbee played a whale of a game. But so did Yates. The refs always blow calls in every game. The main thing is is that can the team that you are pulling for needed to keep scoring. You see in spite of the refs, you have to put each play behind you and focus on the next. Sometimes it's coaching and sometimes it's the players. But to get to Austin, you have to stay poised and determined. And if you are able to get there, you have to play at even a higher level. Silsbee's player's that will be back next year and even the coaches will be better prepared for this same moment next year. Silsbee had a great year.

As for you Mballer1, I understand your pain, however no team has their own refs. Silsbee played a great game and so did Yates. It's not good to say things like that, just like if the game had ended with Silsbee winning, it's not right to say the same about Silsbee. A few years ago Yates was in the state finals and they were behind the whole 3rd quarter and 2 minutes into the 4th quarter but they kept their poise and ended up winning the state title by 19 points. I've been going to the state tournament since 1968. I've seen a lot of teams win and a lot of teams lose. I've seen bad calls in Austin and we will continue to see bad calls made. But let's hope that the team that we pull for can play next time even better in spite of the calls. Silsbee has a young team. I expect them to be back next year.
[table][tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I know no team has their own refs just said that out of frustration Yates shot the ball better than silsbee from the 3 point line , the foul line , and inside the paint , I'm just glad our team showed a lot of heart out there  Yates has one of the best programs in the country and I just hope our tigers earned a some respect against a top notch opponent  we need to continue to play more teams like Yates to get even better in the future. Thanks tigers for an awesome season , thanks Yates for respecting our fans and team hope u guys win it all.

I have never seen a team that can score as quickly as yates. When I went to bed after the 3rd quater, I believe Yates had a narrow lead. A few minutes later I came back to check the score and Yates was up by 10, then 15. The same thing happened with HJ. We were down by 5, my mother went to the bathroom and came back and we were down my 17. She asked me "what in the hell happened".  :)

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1380378" timestamp="1361965579"]
I know no team has their own refs just said that out of frustration Yates shot the ball better than silsbee from the 3 point line , the foul line , and inside the paint , I'm just glad our team showed a lot of heart out there  Yates has one of the best programs in the country and I just hope our tigers earned a some respect against a top notch opponent  we need to continue to play more teams like Yates to get even better in the future. Thanks tigers for an awesome season , thanks Yates for respecting our fans and team hope u guys win it all.
[/quote]

We really do appreciate it.  Without question The TIGERS have earned more respect than what they came into this game with.  We as a team has and have nothing but respect for what they have and were able to accomplish.  I think student athletes often speak prematurely.  Often from cockiness, and sometimes just out of being immature, as kids often do.  More often than not,  it's that player(s) that contributes the least that does the most trash talk.  We try to teach our boys to talk less and let your play speak for you.  This is where we as adults, parents and coaches alike have to teach them the difference.  They have to understand you don't go deep with hopes that the other team will fear your name or reputation.  This team we have now is going through the task of making a name for themselves and getting out of the shadow of our 08-10 team who won the championships.  They are often compared to them and people, even our fans expect them to bust it wide open and leave no doubt, but that was a SPECIAL team we had then.  So we're constantly trying to improve with each game. 

Having played sports, I know we all know that gut feeling you have before tip-off, kick-off, or that opening pitch.  I may be wrong, but we have to constantly remind the kids that for the most part everyone wants to win and if they show up, they will play you that way.  I'm proud of both teams for how they conducted themselves before, during, and after the game.  The Tigers have no reason to hang their heads, or beat themselves up.  We ALL know the feelings after a game like last night,  we too, have been there.  There was so much talk about it was going to get out of hand and scuffles on the court and the fans going at it and there was nothing of the sort.  Both teams shook hands like young men and student athletes and appear to have left it on the court. 

To say our bases were simply divided by 2 pieces of cheap tape, they too conducted themselves in such a manner that was far from what some were expecting.  We may not always agree on certain things, but no one can ever say that Alumni and fans for both of these teams doesn't care or have passion for their team.  It was live last night

One thing is for certain, TEXAS is no longer just a football state, basketball is here and it seems to be here to stay.  The LIONS and TIGERS will have a seat at the table!!  Stay hungry and stay focused!!

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1380426" timestamp="1361977039"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380378#msg1380378 date=1361965579]
[/quote]

We really do appreciate it.  Without question The TIGERS have earned more respect than what they came into this game with.  We as a team has and have nothing but respect for what they have and were able to accomplish.  I think student athletes often speak prematurely.  Often from cockiness, and sometimes just out of being immature, as kids often do.  More often than not,  it's that player(s) that contributes the least that does the most trash talk.  We try to teach our boys to talk less and let your play speak for you.  This is where we as adults, parents and coaches alike have to teach them the difference.  They have to understand you don't go deep with hopes that the other team will fear your name or reputation.  This team we have now is going through the task of making a name for themselves and getting out of the shadow of our 08-10 team who won the championships.  They are often compared to them and people, even our fans expect them to bust it wide open and leave no doubt, but that was a SPECIAL team we had then.  So we're constantly trying to improve with each game. 

Having played sports, I know we all know that gut feeling you have before tip-off, kick-off, or that opening pitch.  I may be wrong, but we have to constantly remind the kids that for the most part everyone wants to win and if they show up, they will play you that way.  I'm proud of both teams for how they conducted themselves before, during, and after the game.  The Tigers have no reason to hang their heads, or beat themselves up.  We ALL know the feelings after a game like last night,  we too, have been there.  There was so much talk about it was going to get out of hand and scuffles on the court and the fans going at it and there was nothing of the sort.  Both teams shook hands like young men and student athletes and appear to have left it on the court. 

To say our bases were simply divided by 2 pieces of cheap tape, they too conducted themselves in such a manner that was far from what some were expecting.  We may not always agree on certain things, but no one can ever say that Alumni and fans for both of these teams doesn't care or have passion for their team.  It was live last night

One thing is for certain, TEXAS is no longer just a football state, basketball is here and it seems to be here to stay.  The LIONS and TIGERS will have a seat at the table!!  Stay hungry and stay focused!!
[/quote]

EXCELLENT POST!!! Kudos to you my JY friend!

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1380426" timestamp="1361977039"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380378#msg1380378 date=1361965579]
[/quote]

[/quote]Great post!! Good luck to Yates the rest of the way.

By the way excellent post jackyateshoops.  I for one sat near that tape and conversed with one joy fan and he was very cordial.  Admitting to some missed calls against us and saying what a different game it would have been if we shot better and still cheering loudly for his team.  Great atmosphere last night.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1380466" timestamp="1361981243"]
Are u HJ people concerned about Chris Elam. We didnt mention Jarvis Benard a few years ago being too old. I think is ok to keep the kids name out these post. Freaking HJ fans! Silsbee will be loaded again next year!
[/quote]

Well said BS an we will be loaded next year with Elam or not I don't ppl understand the horses we have coming you can ask any coach in Silsbee Micheal McCain could've been on Varsity this year I saw Him an his younger brother who's a 6th grader play against varsity Teams in the Central league an where the leading scores every night

Lots of angst posted about Silsbee's poor 3-pt shooting and misses up close. How much would y'all attribute that to Yates length and quickness and (to Yates' detriment at times) decision to contest with pressure everywhere all the time? I noticed #32 rushed his tip-ins attempts and always pump-faked every single inside contested shot. Lots of thinking going on there. Thinking impedes performance at some point. I think Silsbee was very very "aware" of Yates' inside athleticism. Changing shots subtlely. That explains a lot about the poor shooting from point-blank. Maybe not all but a lot in my mind. Also Yates' style challenges every shot everywhere, again, with length and quickness. I don't recall more than 3 or 4  uncontested catch-and-shoot 3's attempted by Silsbee. Is my recollection flawed? The old cliche is that maybe, just maybe, Yates had more to do with that poor performance than some homers admit. Strange how teams underperform offensively regularly against Yates. Why is that? Do they all have bad nights coincidentally? FT's are more a handling pressure thing.

Silsbee has been a poor free throw shooting team all year long. It was a night where they needed to shoot around 67-70% instead of their usual 50%.

Several of those point blank misses had nothing to do with Yates, just lack of execution. Yates did block several shots though and altered others.

The 1/20 three pointers really ballooned in the last 2 minutes of game when Silsbee started "jacking" three's trying to make the comeback. It resulted in some long rebounds and "snowbird" layups for Yates.

There is no doubt jy had some to do with the Tigers shooting woes but there were definitely enough missed where that wasn't a concern to have, if nothing else,  made this game a one possession game either way at the end.  Those same shooting woes have been a problem at times all year long and it happened on a night we couldn't afford it.  Sure we had some good shooting nights(ask hj) but they weren't the norm.  We definitely needed it last night.  Several of our 3's were low arcing and short,  maybe that is a sign of a rushed shot, I am not sure but I want the result of a taller players hand in our face.  That would have been high and short or blocked.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380342" timestamp="1361942992"]
The stat you wanted to see Buddy Garrity:

per SHSU statistician

Yates missed 16 shots in the paint

Silsbee missed [b]28 shots[/b] in the paint
[/quote] wow....Cant beat an average team most nights when you miss that many shots in the paint IMO.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1380701" timestamp="1362004886"]
Silsbee has a BUNCH talent coming up from the 7th and 8th grade level. I have heard this could be some of best talent in both football and basketball they have had in YEARS! We wilk see how they develop.
[/quote]

The all around talent coming up from 8th grade is strong, very strong. The 7th grade is just as strong, will have to see how they fair in the 8th grade. They should do fine.

The talent coming from 7th and 8th grade is honestly fantastic. I coach these kids on my select AAU team. I honestly believe that next year will be on of Silsbee's weaker teams, but they will still compete for the district title and make the playoffs. Now the following year will start a run that will be very successful in my opinion. Have y'all witnessed Silsbee's little dribbles? It's going to be very exciting to watch for the next 6 years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder