**#10 SILSBEE vs. #1 HOUSTON YATES Broadcast**/Yates wins 100-85!!

Well I got to see this season's Silsbee Tigers at full strength.  They are/were very impressive at what they do and that is running.  Good back courts, quick as snakes, and I mean that in a good way.  What they are not good at, and what killed them was shooting free throws, and shooting jump shots in general.  Not only is there outside game missing, they missed too many close in shots and lay ups.

Silsbee would of had to play the perfect game to beat Yates tonight.  Yates had the better team.  I see no reason to hate on JY.  I hope they go all the way.

p.s. Yates' band and cheer group was very entertaining as well.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yates shot great from three point land and the free throw line. Some said that Silsbee better not try to run with them or it would be a blowout. That was wrong. Yates press did not bother Silsbee, but Silsbee's press worked pretty well causing lots of Yates turnovers. Great game by both teams.

[quote name="DXTR" post="1380289" timestamp="1361939205"]
Yates shot great from three point land and the free throw line. Some said that Silsbee better not try to run with them or it would be a blowout. That was wrong. Yates press did not bother Silsbee, but Silsbee's press worked pretty well causing lots of Yates turnovers. Great game by both teams.
[/quote] "run with Yates and you lose" is still accurate.

[quote name="homeless" post="1380297" timestamp="1361939619"]
[quote author=DXTR link=topic=109808.msg1380289#msg1380289 date=1361939205]
[/quote] "run with Yates and you lose" is still accurate.
[/quote]

??? Silsbee out ran Yates. Silsbee broke the press quite easily and caused fits for Yates on Offense. The game came down to free throws.. We missed 20 free throws. Yates hit their free throws. It's simple

Score by quarters

1          2          3            4            tot

Yates                  25        28        23          24          100
Silsbee                28        24        16          17            85

Team stats

FT %

Yates        18/30      60%
Silsbee      20/37      54%

3 Point %

Yates        6/18        33%
Silsbee      1/20        5%

Rebounds

Yates            40
Silsbee          40

Turnovers

Yates          23
Silsbee        18

Fouls

Yates          20
Silsbee        27

Individual scoring

Yates

Joseph Anderson              26
Darrion Martin                  22
Sadiq Inuwa                    13
Lorenzo Phillips                12
JC Washington                  11
Damion Lewis                    10
Melvin Swift                        6

Silsbee

Davaughn Thomas              26 (16 rebounds)
Chris Elam                          21
Jordan Holmes                    13
Zayon Jackson                    8
Danti Wilson                        7
Patrick Reed                        4
Jake Dobbins                        4
Ladavian Barnes                    2

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1379967" timestamp="1361926199"]
these refs are horrible.......both teams gonna foul out players before the Half.
[/quote]

I'm glad someone that wanted Silsbee to win recognizes that. These are the worst Refs we (JY) have seen all year. JY  played 5 against 8. WoW. Who picked these guys? Silsbee played their hearts out and yes there were bad calls all night, but anyone that gets on here and says that the game was called "fairly" is just kidding themselves. JY had to toughen up tonight against a team that played like they had nothing to lose.

I applaud Silsbee's effort and true grit on the court, but when a Silsbee kid slides with the ball as if he's coming into 2nd base and there was not a travelling violation called, you have to scratch your head. Another thing that I will mention is a Silsbee kid fell out of bounce and the ball landed on top of him before it touched the floor and the ref called it Silsbee ball (the ref was right there next to the kid, on top of the play), you could tell who the refs wanted to win. They should never call another game as long as they live. SMH allll... night.

To The Silsbee Tigers, we want to Thank You for the opportunity to be on the court with another great team.  You guys played well tonight and gave us the much needed challenge.  There's no reason to hang your heads at all.  The guys on both teams played with heart and determination.  Thanks for keeping it competitive and classy.  To the fans, thanks for making the venue as lively as it was.  The atmosphere was definitely Playoff atmosphere.  We look forward to seeing you guys in the future.  Seniors, stay focused, take care of business and get ready to take it to the next level...you don't have much time left.  As always, Aggies thanks for the hospitality and as we have said before a great outlet.  We look forward to continuing to participate along with it. 

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1380327" timestamp="1361941431"]
To The Silsbee Tigers, we want to Thank You for the opportunity to be on the court with another great team.  You guys played well tonight and gave us the much needed challenge.  There's no reason to hang your heads at all.  The guys on both teams played with heart and determination.  Thanks for keeping it competitive and classy.  To the fans, thanks for making the venue as lively as it was.  The atmosphere was definitely Playoff atmosphere.  We look forward to seeing you guys in the future.  Seniors, stay focused, take care of business and get ready to take it to the next level...you don't have much time left.  As always, Aggies thanks for the hospitality and as we have said before a great outlet.  We look forward to continuing to participate along with it.
[/quote] Congrats on Yates victory. Hopefully Silsbee will meet JY next season..

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1380021" timestamp="1361928143"]
Only because of the fouls the refs will not let silsbee touch yates
[/quote]

Don't know what game you were watching, but it wasn't JY vs Silsbee. The refs called so many touch fouls against JY it was ridiculous. We did not play well either, commiting a lot of turn overs. Silsbee forced a lot of them as well. They played well and the help from the refs didn't hurt either. 5 on 8 all night. Silsbee is a scrappy bunch.

[quote name="JY88" post="1380335" timestamp="1361941828"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380021#msg1380021 date=1361928143]
[/quote]

Don't know what game you were watching, but it wasn't JY vs Silsbee. [b]The refs called so many touch fouls against JY it was ridiculous.[/b] We did not play well either, commiting a lot of turn overs. Silsbee forced a lot of them as well. They played well and the help from the refs didn't hurt either. 5 on 8 all night. Silsbee is a scrappy bunch.
[/quote]

That's kind of funny. Silsbee had 27 fouls to JY 20 and Silsbee had 2 players foul out with 3 others with 4 fouls. JY had no player foul out and had just 2 with 4 fouls.

I thought the game was called evenly.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="JY88" post="1380335" timestamp="1361941828"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380021#msg1380021 date=1361928143]
[/quote]

Don't know what game you were watching, but it wasn't JY vs Silsbee. The refs called so many touch fouls against JY it was ridiculous. We did not play well either, commiting a lot of turn overs. Silsbee forced a lot of them as well. They played well and the help from the refs didn't hurt either. 5 on 8 all night. Silsbee is a scrappy bunch.
[/quote]
C'mon man!!! JY won, stay classy and quit griping about the refs..  ::)Y'all won!!!

Thanks and very classy jackyateshoops.  Although I can't say the same as one HJ person did "Yates is the best team we ever played",  I can say they are definitely one of the best and deepest teams we ever played.  Although height definately played an part,  I believe depth was the big advantage for the Lions.  Not as far as fatigue,  but it was big when we got into foul trouble.  When we had two of our big men get 4 fouls,  we didn't have those extra big guys to put down low.  The Lions took advantage a few times during that stretch.  Congratulations on a great game to DeVaughn Thomas,  he did  great job down low tonight amongst the big guys.  Once again the big differences were at the free throw line and behind the arc.  If we had made a few more of those( or converte a couple of those missed break opportunities)  it would have been a much different game.  We wouldn't have had to turn to those late desperation threes,  and may have even had a lead late in the game.  We knew we needed a great game and we got most of it.  We have been streaky shooting all year an tonight wasnt a good one.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380337" timestamp="1361942092"]
[quote author=JY88 link=topic=109808.msg1380335#msg1380335 date=1361941828]
[/quote]

Don't know what game you were watching, but it wasn't JY vs Silsbee. [b]The refs called so many touch fouls against JY it was ridiculous.[/b] We did not play well either, commiting a lot of turn overs. Silsbee forced a lot of them as well. They played well and the help from the refs didn't hurt either. 5 on 8 all night. Silsbee is a scrappy bunch.
[/quote]

I would not the game tonight even, only if you're a Silsbee fan. Silsbee had a ton of calls go there way. The only reason why we didn't have anyone foul out was that Coach Wise put in players early in the 2nd quarter that usually get off the bench until the game is almost over. He used his bench well and they were deep enough to save the guys in foul trouble from fouling out.

How many players touched the floor for Silsbee and played significant minutes compared to JY? Coach Wise used his players "wisely".

That's kind of funny. Silsbee had 27 fouls to JY 20 and Silsbee had 2 players foul out with 3 others with 4 fouls. JY had no player foul out and had just 2 with 4 fouls.

[/quote]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380342" timestamp="1361942992"]
The stat you wanted to see Buddy Garrity:

per SHSU statistician

Yates missed 16 shots in the paint

Silsbee missed 28 shots in the paint
[/quote]

Another big difference although lots of those were caused by Yates size there were enough that weren't to have provided a different ending to this game.  I know the difference ended up being 15 pts but I felt the true difference was in the 8-10 pt range.  We gave up 1 point before tipoff an at least an extra 4 off those late 3's.

[quote name="JY88" post="1380346" timestamp="1361943387"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109808.msg1380337#msg1380337 date=1361942092]
[quote author=JY88 link=topic=109808.msg1380335#msg1380335 date=1361941828]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would not the game tonight even, only if you're a Silsbee fan. Silsbee had a ton of calls go there way. The only reason why we didn't have anyone foul out was that Coach Wise put in players early in the 2nd quarter that usually get off the bench until the game is almost over. He used his bench well and they were deep enough to save the guys in foul trouble from fouling out.

How many players touched the floor for Silsbee and played significant minutes compared to JY? Coach Wise used his players "wisely".

[/quote]
[/quote]

Silsbee played a total of 10 players, Yates played a total of 12.

I wouldn't say it was a poorly called game. I think they were even on both teams, just inconsistent with what they called. some light fouls called and then other hard fouls they let slide. I don't think they knew what a travel or a charge was and that goes both ways. Free throws have been abysmal all year, so that was expected, but would have made a huge difference. also its extremely hard to fathom that we went 1 for 20 from 3 land with the likes of Holmes, Elam, and Wilson, all very capable 3 pt shooters. We couldnt buy a three. If Silsbee had the depth Yates had to replace those guys in foul trouble then this would have been a very different game. Thats the difference between a town of 6000 and a few million though i guess! Almost impossible to win when you have 3 or 4 key players with 3 fouls before the half. Great game to watch, congrats Silsbee, good luck Yates.

Yates used more in the first half than the second it appeared,  I am not sure how many in the second half but it seemed more comparable to the Tigers.  It looked like the fatigue factor at the end was fairly even.  I would say some of those missed 3's were the result of fatigue if we had made some earlier in the game.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1380086" timestamp="1361930010"]
Yates you will not be able to bring your refs to Austin if y'all make it.
[/quote]

Was going to post our post and be done.  Wasn't going to respond to ANY of the posts, but this one was too funny.  Are you serious?  You think WE liked the officiating tonight?!! You have to be kidding.  The refs  SCREWED all (Yates and Silsbee) of our kids. Our SENIOR was one away from fouling out.  Majority of our starters also got a lot of bench time because of fouls too.  The only difference was we were able to sit our kids for a while.  They should never ref a game again. And I hope they DO NOT go to AUSTIN either.

All in all this game lived up to expectations except for one area anyway.  The expected team won.  It was a great game.  But it was not near the margin of victory that most expected.  I am proud of the way the Tigers played tonight.  We may not have shot our best,  but this was one of the best games we played this year.  We have lost our cool many times this year and argued amongst ourselves,  tonight we played together.  We have attempted things we shouldn't many times this year and tonight we made the right decisions.  There is nothing for the Tigers to be down on themselves about tonight.  They were simply beaten by the tem that played better tonight.  There has been a lot of talk the last couple weeks about Yates not being a good shooting team,  but in both of these games against 21-3A they have shot the ball well.  Congratulations Lipns and good luck.

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1380353" timestamp="1361945375"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=109808.msg1380086#msg1380086 date=1361930010]
Yates you will not be able to bring your refs to Austin if y'all make it.
[/quote]

Was going to post our post and be done.  Wasn't going to respond to ANY of the posts, but this one was too funny.  Are you serious?  You think WE liked the officiating tonight?!! You have to be kidding.  The refs  SCREWED all (Yates and Silsbee) of our kids. Our SENIOR was one away from fouling out.  Majority of our starters also got a lot of bench time because of fouls too.  The only difference was we were able to sit our kids for a while.  They should never ref a game again. And I hope they DO NOT go to AUSTIN either.
[/quote]

I have wondered since last week,  who is the senior.  I believe both programs from tonight and last thursday list 3.  I knew I had heard it was only 1.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin