HJ vs. Houston Yates

Lazeek

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1377255" timestamp="1361468171"]
So a winning tradition generates attention all the way over in Africa?
[/quote]
If Hardin Jefferson were making national headlines, and winning like Yates has won over the last 4-5 years, AND were located in one of the largest metropolitan cities in the WORLD....Yes, that would be possible.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377261" timestamp="1361469010"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=109582.msg1377255#msg1377255 date=1361468171]
[/quote]
If Hardin Jefferson were making national headlines, and winning like Yates has won over the last 4-5 years, AND were located in one of the largest metropolitan cities in the WORLD....Yes, that would be possible.
[/quote]

The 40 new applicants for entry to Yates this fall were not there for academic excellence

Guest BmtTopFlight2017
At the end of the day ppl sound bitter when they claim schools recruit...it didn't help Yates last yr when they lost in the state game..so who cares...lace up your shoes go out and play...get better at the game and stop the complaining...that's why kids can't compete anymore because ppl cry about what the other team is doin so their already defeated before the game is played...quit puttin your kids at a disadvantage with the negative thoughts..you can only control what your players do...bottom line is when you win everything else is forgotten .

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377230" timestamp="1361465252"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109582.msg1377166#msg1377166 date=1361459066]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109582.msg1377157#msg1377157 date=1361457980]
I already know the outcome, yall just provide us with the scores and a little game analysis.
[/quote]

Yates wins 133-18.  All starters had triple doubles and a new player who just enrolled last month had 41 in his first effort at his third school in three years.  HJ finished the game with three players on the floor as the other 12 all fouled out.  If they hadnt played such a weak schedule and had done more sport specific workouts, the score would have been 133-21.
[/quote]
Yep...sounds about right... 8)

[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=109582.msg1376946#msg1376946 date=1361411767]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109582.msg1376804#msg1376804 date=1361393854]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=109582.msg1376777#msg1376777 date=1361391762]
Im wondering how long it takes before Yates gets that [b]7'4 sophomore[/b] thats in Houston that i saw this morning  ;)

http://instagram.com/p/V9kf0_MkGT/
[/quote] Depends on who his handlers are.
[/quote]Handlers huh? I wonder how many handlers HJ has to land a giant from another continent? I'm guessing......ZERO!! BUT...Yates doesn't recruit, right? ::)
[/quote]

Yates recruits about as much as Nederland does in PORT ARTHUR.... ::) ::)....They don't, right? Players from Port Arthur just SHOW UP, right? Same thing happens at Yates... ;)
[/quote]For four years now, you (or anyone) has yet to name ONE basketball kid who transferred (or 'showed up') from PAM to Nederland. I'll be waiting for an answer, yet it will be the same as usual! ::)
Not the same with Yates. Over 1/2 of their team has transferred from other schools/Countries/CONTINENTS!!

And for all you Yates fans ..Hay they ain't the best in the state of Texas in 3A.. lol There good butt not the best the best has already been declared the top team and has already beat Yates" this year on new years they are just playing a national schedule... :D And for theones who don't know the team its DALLAS  P. PREP"... ;D

[quote name="TopFlight" post="1377271" timestamp="1361469682"]
At the end of the day ppl sound bitter when they claim schools recruit...[b]it didn't help Yates last yr when they lost in the state game[/b]..so who cares...lace up your shoes go out and play...get better at the game and stop the complaining...that's why kids can't compete anymore because ppl cry about what the other team is doin so their already defeated before the game is played...quit puttin your kids at a disadvantage with the negative thoughts..you can only control what your players do...bottom line is when you win everything else is forgotten .
[/quote]

so when they finished 2nd in the state out of however many hundred, it didn't help them?  i could care less about sounding bitter when i see a public school with a basketball roster who's lineup reads like a college squad with players from all over the greater houston area, the country, and around the world from year to year...  it's BS. 

[quote name="Who that !!?" post="1377298" timestamp="1361473495"]
And for all you Yates fans ..Hay they ain't the best in the state of Texas in 3A.. lol There good butt not the best the best has already been declared the top team and has already beat Yates" this year on new years they are just playing a national schedule... :D And for theones who don't know the team its DALLAS  P. PREP"... ;D
[/quote]

Yates is the best 3A team that can compete for a championship..

Prime Prep is a Allstar high school team

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377269" timestamp="1361469594"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109582.msg1377261#msg1377261 date=1361469010]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=109582.msg1377255#msg1377255 date=1361468171]
[/quote]
[/quote]

The 40 new applicants for entry to Yates this fall were not there for academic excellence
[/quote]

So if you guys stayed in Europe and were about to move to Houston because of opportunity and you had a son who was really good in basketball, you guys would pick the best basketball program for your child right? I know I would.
Check out Thon Maker, a kid from the Sudan who is 7'0 AT 14 years old who moved to New Orleans. HJ gets kids from Beaumonr all the time, but  since it doesnt hurt any of the Beaumont schools programs nothing is ever said

[quote name="TopFlight" post="1377271" timestamp="1361469682"]
At the end of the day ppl sound bitter when they claim schools recruit...it didn't help Yates last yr when they lost in the state game..so who cares...lace up your shoes go out and play...get better at the game and stop the complaining...that's why kids can't compete anymore because ppl cry about what the other team is doin so their already defeated before the game is played...quit puttin your kids at a disadvantage with the negative thoughts..you can only control what your players do...bottom line is when you win everything else is forgotten .
[/quote]

While that all sounds very noble, the theory holds that all teams competing with each other ought to be adhering to the same rules.

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1377317" timestamp="1361475618"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109582.msg1377316#msg1377316 date=1361475482]
Other than DJ, please name some Beaumont kids that HJ has gotten that have contributed materially to the basketball program.
[/quote]

Contributed or not kids have left Beaumont schools and went to HJ. aM i right or wrong??
[/quote]

Sure, there are Beaumont kids  at HJ but DJ was the only one in the basketball program and your inference that this somehow makes HJ a recruiter of basketball players is totally wrong. Additionally, there is a 6'7": post man who left the HJ program for Beaumont after last season.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377323" timestamp="1361475869"]
[quote author=TopFlight link=topic=109582.msg1377271#msg1377271 date=1361469682]
[/quote]

While that all sounds very noble, the theory holds that all teams competing with each other ought to be adhering to the same rules.
[/quote]

that's just stupid, nash.  if you're the best, it's okay to do whatever it takes to stay the best.  look at lance armstrong ;)

I'm not saying HJ is a recruiting school, Im saying its the same for Yates. If my son is a good basketball player and I move to Houston and I want my son in a good program we're going to Yates. Does that make them a recruiting school. And the kid that left HJ would of held HJ  back. I coached him this summer.

[quote name="tennisbc" post="1377339" timestamp="1361478090"]
Is this game or any game going to be on the radio? I do not see that any are listed as being broadcasted.
[/quote]

KOGT 1600 AM will broadcast WO-S game tomorrow night. 92.3 FM The Eagle will carry Big Sandy game tomorrow night. Those are the only two radio games we have to promote on this site.

SETXsports will broadcast Silsbee's game tomorrow night.

Hope that answers your question.

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1377335" timestamp="1361477389"]
I'm not saying HJ is a recruiting school, Im saying its the same for Yates. If my son is a good basketball player and I move to Houston and I want my son in a good program we're going to Yates. Does that make them a recruiting school. And the kid that left HJ would of held HJ  back. I coached him this summer.
[/quote]

Doesnt matter if he would have held them back.  YOUR point was about kids coming to HJ from Beaumont REGARDLESS of whether or not they contributed to basketball and I gave you a reverse example.  And if you HONESTLY believe there is the slightest similarity between who comes to Yates to play and who comes to hJ to play, your elevator does not go all the way to the top.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1377309" timestamp="1361475062"]
[quote author=Who that !!? link=topic=109582.msg1377298#msg1377298 date=1361473495]
[/quote]

[/quote]Is Yates not also a HS All-Star team??

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1377346" timestamp="1361478685"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=109582.msg1377309#msg1377309 date=1361475062]
[quote author=Who that !!? link=topic=109582.msg1377298#msg1377298 date=1361473495]
[/quote]

[/quote]Is Yates not also a HS All-Star team??
[/quote]

One could claim that.

I spoke with a person last night who is close to the Yates program and he was quite forward with an answer to a question I had for him. I asked how many of the current Yates varsity players came up through the Yates feeder middle schools. He said of the 15 on varsity, only 6.

I do not know how HISD works as far as middle schools and where those kids move on to high schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder