OFF SEASON question

Lucky

Bloodclot, I'll bet you were a big fan of Ronald Reagan..............Thats funny cause T.O .& Reagan just don't go togather.  I understand what you are saying here but let me change my question for you Mr. Reagan. If you were AD and head FB coach, would you make your football players go through FB offseason while playing another varsity sport ?

YOU ARE AD..........whats your call ????????????

No comment...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the following is the scenario I would have to say no and also it would border on abuse.

Your point guard is a McDonald's All American and also plays football to help out in the defensive backfield (though probably has no real future in the game).  He does a football workout on Monday consisting of heavy squats and heavy power clean.  At the game Tuesday night North Carolina shows up to watch and his legs are gone by the second half and with them go his jumper.  I don't see how this can be in his best interest.  I have never heard of any football team lifting on Thursday at all.  If they do, they are certainly not doing an offseason "heavy" type workout. 

Guest Kelly Football

All i know is when a player thats not in Basketball or Baseball and plays Football that person is in football offseason. And when BB is over he's right back in football offseason.

I am proof of FB off season. My freshman year, I ran about a 4.9/ 5.0 second 40yrd dash. I was also not very strong. I could maybe kick a 30 yard fieldgoal. I also was an excellent Baseball and Soccer player. I wasnt asked if I wanted to go through the other sports workouts during the school period. I was TOLD that i was in Football offseason. Remember I was a Baseball player First, not to mention just being a fieldgoal kicker. Coach Thompson said that it would benefiet every sport I played.....well it did! Two-a-days arrived, I was bigger, much stronger (40+ yrd fieldgoals) and I also ran a 4.48 in the 40yrd dash. I had a great year in football and carried that over to baseball. I am a firm believer in football offseason. It makes you a better athelete. Here is the funny part. During the "football" offseason, I cant remember doing anything "football". All we did was work on speed, agility, strenghth, and mental toughness. Unless you letter in underwater basket weaving, I think this helps ALL sports.

If it is the following is the scenario I would have to say no and also it would border on abuse.

Your point guard is a McDonald's All American and also plays football to help out in the defensive backfield (though probably has no real future in the game).  He does a football workout on Monday consisting of heavy squats and heavy power clean.  At the game Tuesday night North Carolina shows up to watch and his legs are gone by the second half and with them go his jumper.  I don't see how this can be in his best interest.  I have never heard of any football team lifting on Thursday at all.  If they do, they are certainly not doing an offseason "heavy" type workout. 

Good to see you voiced your opinion but what the heck do you mean about football players not lifting on Thursdays ? Last time I checked, Thursday is not a Holy day and I would bet my right arm that ALL College FB programs as well as most  high schools LIFT on THURSDAY during the weight lifting part of offseason !

Lucky,

I think I have miscommunicated.  I was refering to the Thursday's during football season.  Which would be comparable to Monday's or Thursday's durning basketball season.  KOOP could you tell me a football program that lifts heavy the day before a game.  If no (and the asnswer is no) then why is it OK to lift the basketball kids heavy the day before a game?  If the topic is refering to kids who are not currently playing basketball or who will soon be playing baseball I would agree with most of the above, they should be in off-season.  But my scenario still holds absolutly true if you are thinking about the best interest of the kid.

Kicker,

Saying your football off-season workout carried over into baseball season at WOS may not be the best argument unless you are about 30 or 40 years old.  Given the current decline that program is in.  Find some kids on your basketball team and us them as examples.  Just trying to help you make your argument.

Lucky,

I think I have miscommunicated.  I was refering to the Thursday's during football season.  Which would be comparable to Monday's or Thursday's durning basketball season.  KOOP could you tell me a football program that lifts heavy the day before a game.  If no (and the asnswer is no) then why is it OK to lift the basketball kids heavy the day before a game?  If the topic is refering to kids who are not currently playing basketball or who will soon be playing baseball I would agree with most of the above, they should be in off-season.  But my scenario still holds absolutly true if you are thinking about the best interest of the kid.

Kicker,

Saying your football off-season workout carried over into baseball season at WOS may not be the best argument unless you are about 30 or 40 years old.  Given the current decline that program is in.  Find some kids on your basketball team and us them as examples.  Just trying to help you make your argument.

Hawk,

I think you need to look at the big picture.........in other words, do whats best for the TEAM not the individual.  Which Team you ask ? The one that brings in all the $$$$$ (football).  Also, most coaches will work togather in special situations so everything is not cut N dried.  So who knows, maybe the AD will let little Joey and the basketball team slide on their weight workout this Thursday so they can be fresh for the scout from Duke !

Lucky,

Kicker,

Hawk, I am not that old. I didnt lift on game days, and wasnt forced to. It was optional from the coaches during the off-season period. I would do some light work, but not anything heavy duty. I also played Soccer as well. Football off season made so much better at other sports. I wouldn't have made all the improvements in strength, speed, and agility by being in any other sports class in the mornings. Sure it was hard work, but it paid off in the long run. Thats my point, not really an argument.

They do. In fact some schools right now for the next 4 weeks lift everyday during the Athletic period. Then it usually goes to lifting 3 days a week and running the other 2 days.

Guys, it is called conditioning. You condition in every sport from the beginning of the sport to the end of the sport. Conditioning is critical in all sports. Off season conditioning for football is conditioning for baseball etc. The QB, Fazio at Kelly, is the # 1 pitcher in baseball, he conditions each and everyday, he will lift and do his agility and then practice baseball after school. He will not pick up a football untill spring training. Conditioning is a must for longivity of life guys. Think about it....

Lucky, 

Your son obviousley doesn't play basketball.  Or atleast is not particularly serious about it.

How about instead of money or just one program you think about kids and what is best for them.  To put money infront of the best interest of kids is just classless.  I don't mean to insult you but if you honestly feel that way it is just sad.  And I am glad you are not in charge of our athletic program. 

And the old statement that football brings in all the money is both tired and ignorant because it just isn't true.  I promise our basketball program generates more money than it is given in budget money.  So were does the excess go???  Good question, check the football equipment room.

Lucky, 

Your son obviousley doesn't play basketball.  Or atleast is not particularly serious about it.

How about instead of money or just one program you think about kids and what is best for them.  To put money infront of the best interest of kids is just classless.  I don't mean to insult you but if you honestly feel that way it is just sad.  And I am glad you are not in charge of our athletic program. 

And the old statement that football brings in all the money is both tired and ignorant because it just isn't true.  I promise our basketball program generates more money than it is given in budget money.  So were does the excess go???  Good question, check the football equipment room.

Dear hawk,

You obviously clicked on the wrong page..................I bet you meant to click basketball.

What I feel you have NO IDEA.  It's about doing whats best for the overall athletic program. To improve on the strength and athleticism of all student athletes. Have you not read what others have been writing ? You are still worried about that scout coming to see one kid. If the kid is good enough, he will get the scholarship !

Why is it that most all Texas schools choose a football coach for the AD ? Your in TEXAS man and TEXAS is known to be a football STATE.  Heck, I like all sports..............sort of !

Don't cry to me about your problem with football,  you picked a basketball school anyway !

Hawk, Im not trying to pick a fight with you, but to say football doesnt bring in more money is rediculous!! Obviously you havent been to a WOS game. We sit more people on a non hyped game, than the three other schools in Orange's gyms combined. I cant beleive what you say. Heck, i played against LCM in '97 that had 12000 plus people at that game. Name me one highschool around here that sits 12000 people in a gym. I smell a football program hater. Its so obvious! Basketball is only iportant in Kansas, or Kentucky. This is TEXAS and this is where FOOTBALL RULES!!!!

Lucky,

You are obviously flustered.  As most of your latest comments don't even make sense.  I am sorry.  I really am.  I thought we were talking about all sports in this thread not just football.  And how those athletes were handled during football offseason.  If I was wrong about what the topic is regarding I am sorry.  

You now say it is about what is best for the overall athletic program and I agree totally. I only had a problem when you said it was about what is best for the sport who brings in the most money.  (football according to you)

And just so you know I didn't choose a basketball school.  I chose a school.  Schools are not supposed to be "football" schools, or "basketball" schools or whatever the case may be.  They are supposed to be for the betterment of all students and athletes.  Even if they are straight golfers.

As to the question why do "almost all texas schools" hire a football coach as AD.  The answer is they don't.  That is "almost all".  You should really leave southeast Texas sometime and realize that there is more than just the mustang way of doing things.  But the ones that do I am certain it is because of financial reasons.  But that is only the case at smaller school districts that may struggle with money.  Larger school districts (Beaumont, Houston, Katy, Dallas, etc.) hire a straight AD.

Kicker,

Please reread my statement.  I never said it doesn't bring in the most money.  I simply was trying to point out that the other programs generally bring in more money than they are given from the school.  But say it does bring in all the money to support every program.  Why should that impact how kids are treated.  Why in highschool athletics would it be about money.  I am not a football hater or a basketball lover.  I would like to see the kids that I watched grow up succeed in every sport.  Unlike you who are only worried about the success in one.

To put the money argument to rest, because that is not what this topic was supposed to be about until Lucky, so shamlessly brought it up, the largest contributor to the finances of every athletic program regardless of sport is the taxpayer and the parent boosters.

Lucky,

You are obviously flustered.  As most of your latest comments don't even make sense.  I am sorry.  I really am.  I thought we were talking about all sports in this thread not just football.  And how those athletes were handled during football offseason.  If I was wrong about what the topic is regarding I am sorry.  

You now say it is about what is best for the overall athletic program and I agree totally. I only had a problem when you said it was about what is best for the sport who brings in the most money.  (football according to you)

And just so you know I didn't choose a basketball school.  I chose a school.  Schools are not supposed to be "football" schools, or "basketball" schools or whatever the case may be.  They are supposed to be for the betterment of all students and athletes.  Even if they are straight golfers.

As to the question why do "almost all texas schools" hire a football coach as AD.  The answer is they don't.  That is "almost all".  You should really leave southeast Texas sometime and realize that there is more than just the mustang way of doing things.  But the ones that do I am certain it is because of financial reasons.  But that is only the case at smaller school districts that may struggle with money.  Larger school districts (Beaumont, Houston, Katy, Dallas, etc.) hire a straight AD.

Yes, you are definitely on the wrong page. We don't use words like "flustered" on this page. I do respect your opinion on this subject, I simply disagree for the better of ALL ATHLETES.  But if you think there is another sport in this great state more loved than football then it is YOU who needs to pack up and move !

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder