OFF SEASON question

Lucky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dissaggree..... I dont think that is fair to the other programs or the kid who is playing.... Dont punish a kid for having talent and being able to play in two sports.... be fair to his body... and be fair to the program b/c I guarantee you the Basketball Coaches dont haves those players in their working out for basketball during Football season........ but for all the other kids on the team.... I am in aggreeance with......

In silsbee, everyday you have a football class which is one hr and 30 min long. We would do core workouts on one day for the class period and then on the other day we would do conditioning and lifting such curling,lats, pullups. The basketball players had basketball practice during the period although the b-ball coach kept the well conditioned and made them work out but just not as often. It was a pretty good system, even though it was tough and got very boring it gets you stronger for next season.

I disagree.  I think each sport contributes to create a well-rounded athlete.  I played football, wrestling, track, and baseball in high school.  Why do some professional football players take ballet or some other extracurricular activity?  It helps with footwork, strengthening other muscles that you don't use in football.  Wrestling was my main sport but I loved football the most.  Wrestling got me in better conditiong shape than anything else could ever do.  Also, I don't think a coach or athletic director has the right to require a student to participate in an extracurricular activity for a particular sport when it is not the season for said sport.  If a kid wants to play another sport he should be able to.

Guest Sports Cards

I disagree.  I think each sport contributes to create a well-rounded athlete.  I played football, wrestling, track, and baseball in high school.  Why do some professional football players take ballet or some other extracurricular activity?  It helps with footwork, strengthening other muscles that you don't use in football.  Wrestling was my main sport but I loved football the most.  Wrestling got me in better conditiong shape than anything else could ever do.  Also, I don't think a coach or athletic director has the right to require a student to participate in an extracurricular activity for a particular sport when it is not the season for said sport.  If a kid wants to play another sport he should be able to.

Professional football players may take ballet... but not until after their football workout... It's great for a kid to get quicker feet playing basketball, after school. During the period, unless they are a senior, they need to be lifting weights.

Guest EagleFan01

I dissaggree..... I dont think that is fair to the other programs or the kid who is playing.... Dont punish a kid for having talent and being able to play in two sports.... be fair to his body... and be fair to the program b/c I guarantee you the Basketball Coaches dont haves those players in their working out for basketball during Football season........ but for all the other kids on the team.... I am in aggreeance with......

I diagree with this all together.... Also, coaches make all the players lift weights during football season too. It is good to work out during the off season that is how you get better.... lift weights during baseball season, basketball season, soccer season, and any other sport its good for the kids, it will only make you better at every sport..

Guest Sports Cards

I diagree with this all together.... Also, coaches make all the players lift weights during football season too. It is good to work out during the off season that is how you get better.... lift weights during baseball season, basketball season, soccer season, and any other sport its good for the kids, it will only make you better at every sport..

Agreed.

An truly, dedicated athlete should not have to be "made" to do something that will benefit them as an athlete.  Mine can recite what I've told her her entire athletic life when it comes to training:

An ELITE athlete and an average athlete both know what hard work it takes to be a champion...the difference between them...is that the elite athlete DOES the hard work that it takes to be a champion.

"The only place that Success comes before Work...is in the dictionary."

Vince Lombardi

An truly, dedicated athlete should not have to be "made" to do something that will benefit them as an athlete.  Mine can recite what I've told her her entire athletic life when it comes to training:

An ELITE athlete and an average athlete both know what hard work it takes to be a champion...the difference between them...is that the elite athlete DOES the hard work that it takes to be a champion.

"The only place that Success comes before Work...is in the dictionary."

Vince Lombardi

Was that a YES or a NO.................. I aint' sure ? 

My point is that they shouldn't HAVE to be made to participate in off-season workouts and/or training.

However, if the school's athlete's are that much of underachievers and lack the proper self-motivation needed to be the best they can be then...yes, for the good of the program, they should be "made" to work out.

You look at the top programs in any sport and the majority of their athletes don't need to be made to do what it takes to achieve maximum potential...as I stated above they KNOW and DO what t takes on their own.

My point is that they shouldn't HAVE to be made to participate in off-season workouts and/or training.

However, if the school's athlete's are that much of underachievers and lack the proper self-motivation needed to be the best they can be then...yes, for the good of the program, they should be "made" to work out.

You look at the top programs in any sport and the majority of their athletes don't need to be made to do what it takes to achieve maximum potential...as I stated above they KNOW and DO what t takes on their own.

Bloodclot, I'll bet you were a big fan of Ronald Reagan..............Thats funny cause T.O .& Reagan just don't go togather.  I understand what you are saying here but let me change my question for you Mr. Reagan. If you were AD and head FB coach, would you make your football players go through FB offseason while playing another varsity sport ?

YOU ARE AD..........whats your call ????????????

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    julianhudges
    Newest Member
    julianhudges