Newton needs tougher schedule anyone interested?

Back2swag

Newton needs more competion,  would like to see it in 2013 but I think schedule is set. So who wants Newton ??  Why can't Newton start playing teams like WOS,Silsbee,Jasper,Coldsprings, cleveland,PNG, Ozen... like the late 90s early 2000s teams.  Does no one want to take a chance at losing to Newton...  Preseason doesn't matter, maybe if teams around this area would play stiff competion in preseason the area teams could bring home more state championships.

I don't know who we could have beaten in AAA but playing Jasper, Silsbee, and West Orange win or lose gets you battle tested. Truthfully Bridge City was a descent team, Liberty was supposed to be descent but who knew their Star quarter-back was going to move to Shreveport, La to play for Evangeline Christian and that Orangefield's head coach would quit coaching due to health. I wish we would play Jasper, Silsbee, and West-Orange or at least two tough ones but Jasper and us got in to many fights on Thursday night. Silsbee played a pre-district of AAAA teams. West-Orange played a tougher schedule. Sometimes you play the hand you are dealt. Like i said, i do hope we go back to playing Jasper, Silsbee, or West-Orange. I do believe it would be great but I believe we would lose more than win. Just a fact when you play a step higher they will be better. If you can get battle tested,you can lose a game (even a couple games ) and it prepare you for the play-offs.The Eagles of 1998 lost to West-Orange and came back and won it all!!!JMO

[quote name="Scatright" post="1356028" timestamp="1355757556"]
[quote author=puddleofmudd link=topic=107537.msg1356018#msg1356018 date=1355756494]
No one likes to lose. Newton would have probably beaten any 2-4A team in East Texas. [b]I think Newton could have beaten Nederland[/b][/quote]

That's quite the stretch.
[/quote]
Well, it's pretty easy to throw things out there that can
never be proved.  I agree though, s t r e e e e e e e t c h.

[quote name="cowboysfan4life" post="1356333" timestamp="1355846992"]
Cameron Yoe was the better team, it had nothing to do with the schedule...Cameron had a weak schedule also, until undefeated Hallettsville.  Newton got outplayed the last 3 quarters of the game vs. Yoe...bottom line.
[/quote] OK we know that,  they also got murdered by the refs. No matter now,  we are talking about the future.  About knowing how to battle back when behind in a game.  The semi finals kinda hard place to battle from behind for the first time all season....

yoe was very displined and very prepared for newtons gameplan.

[quote name="cowboysfan4life" post="1356333" timestamp="1355846992"]
Cameron Yoe was the better team, it had nothing to do with the schedule...Cameron had a weak schedule also, until undefeated Hallettsville.  Newton got outplayed the last 3 quarters of the game vs. Yoe...bottom line.
[/quote] I second this...

• 2 weeks later...
Why don't Newton play Jasper, Silsbee etc...  Because they droped Newton from their schedule. To say that Bridge City and Orangefield were weak teams is not true. These teams will be better next year and competative. Liberty should have been better but lost their good qb by transfer. These are not the little patsy teams like Deweyville played.
Wow, this ought to get something started...

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1359910" timestamp="1356916025"]
It's not the pre-district that hurts Newton. It is the district. 10-2A needs to improve district wide to have any chance in the playoffs. And I'm not just talking about Newton.
[/quote]

Great team this year Newton.

But before you folks go throwing everyone else in the district under the bus, answer a question. Is this is the first year Newton has won district 10-2A D1?...(yes) When was the last time Newton won any district?...(A very long time)
Seems to me maybe the 'weak district schedule' was the only reason Newton won it this year. Be careful what you hope for.

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="1360558" timestamp="1357118196"]
Why don't Newton play Jasper, Silsbee etc...  Because they droped Newton from their schedule. To say that Bridge City and Orangefield were weak teams is not true. These teams will be better next year and competative. Liberty should have been better but lost their good qb by transfer. These are not the little patsy teams like Deweyville played.
[/quote]

Why bring Deweyville into this? Seriously?

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="1360558" timestamp="1357118196"]
[/quote]

Nm

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86