Sealy star Ricky Seals-Jones verbally commits to Texas A&M

Octfeb

[quote name="cougar2011" post="1353440" timestamp="1355233534"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=107332.msg1353031#msg1353031 date=1355169268]
[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=107332.msg1353019#msg1353019 date=1355168172]
Johnny football and alot of the other stars were recruited before Sumlin got there. Aggies have excelled with his offense because Johnny is that good. All these recruits coming in are doing so because of the excitement of playing in the SEC and the wins the AGGIES posted up. Just wait till  they get the wrecking crew in line.
[/quote]Is Johnny that good or is Sumlin? Keenum's passing numbers dwarfs Manziel's. If A&M went 6-6 in the SEC Sumlin wouldn't be flipping all these guys. Besides Joekel and Matthews there weren't any stars on A&M's roster before he got there. Only kid besides those two A&M had committed that was a high school blue chipper is Trey Williams, Evans was a basketball player. It's clear Sumlin is a better coach than Sherman was but the real reason he's going to start dominating the recruiting in Texas is because the African-American parents in the state are excited to have a school to send their kids to that has an African-American head coach. Same reason the minorities vote in a landslide for Obama, doesn't make it right but that's just how it is.
[/quote]

[b]Sorry coog.... i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. It has nothing to do with having an african american coach.[/b] Its just the demeanor of Coach Sumlin as an individual. He has always been able taking care of business, and he does a great job of motivating he players to give their best every night. He doesnt pressure is players into feeling like the HAVE to win every night like BAMA & LSU... Also he has great supporting staff. Him being african american is just a plus...  ;)
[/quote]Of course someone that's not African-American would say that. You replace Mack Brown with Kevin Sumlin and ALL of those kids he flipped stay at UT. What's the difference, they want to play in the SEC where most of these kids parents that come from disadvantaged homes won't be able to see them play more than a couple times a year? At UT those same kids parents could make it to 6 or 7 Big 12 games. I'm not playing the race card at all, I'm just telling you from a different point of view that its clear you don't think exist. Is it a coincidence that all the players he flipped are African-American? How else do you think he's getting these kids to come to a school where barely 3% of the kids on campus look like them and a large portion of those are athletes too? Tradition? The 12th man? They want to maroon out? My cousin was an All-American at North Shore and was recruited by UT and A&M. Said the two places as far as facilities and a place to live weren't even close, which is why he committed in February barely a week after signing day. What's changed, the Kyle Field seating capicity? If Sumlin was at UT or TCU he would recruit the same way he's starting to now and A&M's move to the SEC would have them 6-6. I bet if it was available Sumlin would ditch A&M in a hurry for a chance to go to UT, and I'm telling you that as a graduate of the A&M system. Old habits die hard down here for the African-Americans too, to think anything otherwise would be going through life with blinders on. I guess if you have never walked a day in those shoes it easy not to need a walking stick though. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing A&M has ever done since hiring Bear Bryant was to hire Kevin Sumlin. The Aggies could have never done what they did in the SEC with the old coach. The Aggies talent base isn't quite on par with the SEC [b]YET[/b], but NOW they have a chance to be in three or four years if they continue success. However, just ask the Longhorns,  top rated recruiting classes doesn't always means success. It is up to the coach to make these kids better and put them in positions to succeed. That is the main thing Texas has not done, they don't make the kids better. They rely on the kids' press clippings too much. Unfortunately, that is never going to change under Mack Brown. Time for the Horns to take a chance on someone else.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1353451" timestamp="1355235732"]
[quote author=cougar2011 link=topic=107332.msg1353440#msg1353440 date=1355233534]
[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=107332.msg1353019#msg1353019 date=1355168172]
Johnny football and alot of the other stars were recruited before Sumlin got there. Aggies have excelled with his offense because Johnny is that good. All these recruits coming in are doing so because of the excitement of playing in the SEC and the wins the AGGIES posted up. Just wait till  they get the wrecking crew in line.
[/quote]Is Johnny that good or is Sumlin? Keenum's passing numbers dwarfs Manziel's. If A&M went 6-6 in the SEC Sumlin wouldn't be flipping all these guys. Besides Joekel and Matthews there weren't any stars on A&M's roster before he got there. Only kid besides those two A&M had committed that was a high school blue chipper is Trey Williams, Evans was a basketball player. It's clear Sumlin is a better coach than Sherman was but the real reason he's going to start dominating the recruiting in Texas is because the African-American parents in the state are excited to have a school to send their kids to that has an African-American head coach. Same reason the minorities vote in a landslide for Obama, doesn't make it right but that's just how it is.
[/quote]

[b]Sorry coog.... i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. It has nothing to do with having an african american coach.[/b] Its just the demeanor of Coach Sumlin as an individual. He has always been able taking care of business, and he does a great job of motivating he players to give their best every night. He doesnt pressure is players into feeling like the HAVE to win every night like BAMA & LSU... Also he has great supporting staff. Him being african american is just a plus...  ;)
[/quote]Of course someone that's not African-American would say that. You replace Mack Brown with Kevin Sumlin and ALL of those kids he flipped stay at UT. What's the difference, they want to play in the SEC where most of these kids parents that come from disadvantaged homes won't be able to see them play more than a couple times a year? At UT those same kids parents could make it to 6 or 7 Big 12 games. I'm not playing the race card at all, I'm just telling you from a different point of view that its clear you don't think exist. Is it a coincidence that all the players he flipped are African-American? How else do you think he's getting these kids to come to a school where barely 3% of the kids on campus look like them and a large portion of those are athletes too? Tradition? The 12th man? They want to maroon out? My cousin was an All-American at North Shore and was recruited by UT and A&M. Said the two places as far as facilities and a place to live weren't even close, which is why he committed in February barely a week after signing day. What's changed, the Kyle Field seating capicity? If Sumlin was at UT or TCU he would recruit the same way he's starting to now and A&M's move to the SEC would have them 6-6. I bet if it was available Sumlin would ditch A&M in a hurry for a chance to go to UT, and I'm telling you that as a graduate of the A&M system. Old habits die hard down here for the African-Americans too, to think anything otherwise would be going through life with blinders on. I guess if you have never walked a day in those shoes it easy not to need a walking stick though.
[/quote]
Lol Actually i am african american sir.... That just shows your arrogance. I'm a LM alumni of class of 2011 football state runner ups... I've dabbled in the college football scene and as an african american, i've heard and seen it all. What your saying is no breaking news to my ears. But you basing their ENTIRE decision on the skin color of the coach, that sounds as simple minded as i've ever heard. You seem to be an older gentleman so not to be disrespectful but when i was being recruited by texas state the last thing on my mind was what color is the coach im going to be playing for ... These players are going to spend more time with their position coaches than anyone else. Non of A&m's coordinators appear african american to me so your claim lacks real thought.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1353451" timestamp="1355235732"]
[quote author=cougar2011 link=topic=107332.msg1353440#msg1353440 date=1355233534]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's odd to me that when coaches are hired, everyone is supposed to ignore race give equal opportunity to all, but once they are hired, we can then point back and give their race credit for their success?!  Am I the only one who feels that way?  Saying Sumlin's success has been brought along by his race is discrediting the fact that he is a great football coach.  We cannot have it both ways, we are either color blind or not.  If a coach was hired because he was white so that he would have a recruiting advantage in the Woodlands and Highland Park, folks would lost their minds, but most are rather mum on the comment that Sumlin can turn recruits and recruit the inner city because he is black.  I just find the double standard flabergasting. 

i'm blacker than a tar baby and no uncle tom and i don't agree with you cougar14.just because a&m coach is black is not why they are getting top recruits. they are winning and doing it in the SEC. the offense attracts these type of big play athletes. at one time all the talent that didn't have the grades or they wanted to start right away went to U of H because that offense fit them. sumlin is a heck of a coach. if he was asian, players would still want to go to a&m. also you are dealing with kids. whoever is hot is where they are going to go...as far as seal-jones, i think it's a mistake for him to go there,unless he's willing to play wr or db. imo, johnny looks like a kid that will stay all 4 years.

[quote name="mighymouse490" post="1356051" timestamp="1355760709"]
i'm blacker than a tar baby and no uncle tom and i don't agree with you cougar14.just because a&m coach is black is not why they are getting top recruits. they are winning and doing it in the SEC. the offense attracts these type of big play athletes. at one time all the talent that didn't have the grades or they wanted to start right away went to U of H because that offense fit them. sumlin is a heck of a coach. if he was asian, players would still want to go to a&m. also you are dealing with kids. whoever is hot is where they are going to go...as far as seal-jones, i think it's a mistake for him to go there,unless he's willing to play wr or db. imo, johnny looks like a kid that will stay all 4 years.
[/quote]First of all I think people believe I think he can coach because he's African-American, I believe nothing of the sort. He can coach because he's worked on staff's with Dana Holgerson and Bob Stoops. Sumlin is an ex-linebacker who is looked at as an offensive guy, the transition is from his ability to absorb knowledge along the way. That has nothing to do with being black. My whole point is recruiting. He can convince four and five star kids from the inner city and other places with high minority populations that College Station is their fit when the can either choose from Austin, Baton Rouge, Atlanta, or LA. If it's the SEC and all the great competition why does the UT recruiting class still blow A&M out of the water after barely being .500 over the last three years? A&M has 33 commits (15 four star, 18 three stars) while Texas only has out 35 total offers (12 four star, 1 three star). This means no matter A&M's record in recent history that what they've been able to recruit is so poor that over 20% it is replaceable with mid-level high school kids. The same kids Texas say only two in the whole class are worthy of a scholarship offer. Texas went 5-7 and for most of the year had the #1 recruiting class in the country, A&M went 9-3 and grabbed 3 four stars. I think y'all are overstating the move to the SEC. I think Sumlin would get those same kids if A&M had stayed in the Big 12 and maybe even more because he could appeal to the kids that wanted to play more games close to home where their families could see or against old high school foes and teammates. If the Aggies went to the Pac-12 A&M fans would be saying the same thing about their recruiting. We recently had the retirees come back to work for the Christmas party and I saw one of the old guys I used to work with that now lives in Caldwell. I can't post the terminology he used but to paraphrase he said, "man I know we're winning but now we're getting the real good kids and I think it's because of that coach." I have cousins at Kansas and Texas that both said they would have went to A&M had Sumlin been there, I also have another  little cousin that's one of the Texas Top 100 and currently has an offer from Rice but says A&M is now where go over anyplace removing Texas from that spot. 17 of the current 21 males in my family of age have played or will play college football so I'm going to assume some of my 7 sons and nephews will play also. A&M has replaced Texas at the top of my list and many other dads I know with similar situations and it's not 'cause they play in the SEC. I could just be old school though, I do turn 30 next year.

Cougar14, I don't why I want to respond to this, but I looked Coach Sumlin up and his BIO shows he's from Indianapolis, Indiana. He went to Brebeuf Jesuit Prept. I looked the school up thinking it was maybe inner city and BAM it's 81% white school. Where are you getting South Alabama from? Coach Sumlin is from a prep school in Indiana, went to a mostly white high school, graduated from a mostly white Purdue University and your on here saying he knows where inner city kids parents are coming from when recruiting? Let's just say he's a great coach and getting the job done. I think I've broke up your attempt to divide people. Good try though.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1356242" timestamp="1355803259"]
Cougar14, I don't why I want to respond to this, but I looked Coach Sumlin up and his BIO shows he's from Indianapolis, Indiana. He went to Brebeuf Jesuit Prept. I looked the school up thinking it was maybe inner city and BAM it's 81% white school. Where are you getting South Alabama from? Coach Sumlin is from a prep school in Indiana, went to a mostly white high school, graduated from a mostly white Purdue University and your on here saying he knows where inner city kids parents are coming from when recruiting? Let's just say he's a great coach and getting the job done. I think I've broke up your attempt to divide people. Good try though.
[/quote] BOOM!  ;D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1356243" timestamp="1355803525"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=107332.msg1356242#msg1356242 date=1355803259]
[/quote] BOOM!  ;D
[/quote]
SMDH ;D

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1356248" timestamp="1355804137"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=107332.msg1356246#msg1356246 date=1355803984]
imma better recruiter than anyone on here, i got mailboxes. better ask around these school districts.  ;D ;)
[/quote]
lol  ;D That almost beats being born in the "boot". I get points deducted though since I'm at the Hill now though. ;D
[/quote] shoulda stayed on the Rez  ;) ;D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1356249" timestamp="1355804321"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=107332.msg1356248#msg1356248 date=1355804137]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=107332.msg1356246#msg1356246 date=1355803984]
imma better recruiter than anyone on here, i got mailboxes. better ask around these school districts.  ;D ;)
[/quote]
lol  ;D That almost beats being born in the "boot". I get points deducted though since I'm at the Hill now though. ;D
[/quote] shoulda stayed on the Rez  ;) ;D
[/quote]
It's all good

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1356252" timestamp="1355804643"]
As if Cougar14 bubble wasn't already busted, Coach Sumlins wife is white. Dang Cougar, better do better research man. That theory isn't working. ;)
[/quote] so Cougar14 is really Rob Parker from ESPN?? Yikes!  :o

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1356254" timestamp="1355804928"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=107332.msg1356252#msg1356252 date=1355804643]
As if Cougar14 bubble wasn't already busted, Coach Sumlins wife is white. Dang Cougar, better do better research man. That theory isn't working. ;)
[/quote] so Cougar14 is really Rob Parker from ESPN?? Yikes!  :o
[/quote]

LOL, I'm gonna leave him alone now. ;D He'll be talking about RGIII next. ;D

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1356252" timestamp="1355804643"]
[/quote]Burst my bubble? Charlie Strong and Turner Gill's wife are also white. Not sure about Joker Phillips or Alan Embry but what does that have to do with anything? Unlike most of the posters on here all I do is research, that's why I get pms all the time that say "good research" or a parent asking me for an off the record opinion even sometime giving me very personal information about their kid. They say the resaon Turner Gill didn't get the Auburn job and Charlie Strong turned down the Tennessee job was because they had white wives and weren't going to be able to recruit in the SEC. I never brought that up because I don't think that was necessarily true. This is what Kevin Sumlin dealt with growing up early in Alabama and the reasons he left.http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/football-120905maisel/college-football-sumlin-father-recalls-coaching-segregated-south. It's even more of a recruiting pitch to say hey, "I know what it's like coming from the South and having to go to school where you don't necessarily fit in." Do y'all think behind closed doors when he's talking to these kids parents it's all about the 12th man or yell practice? Y'all are off your rocker. He's recruiting kids from places that were some of the most segregated in the country. If so I guess you believe over 70% of minorities voted for Obama because he's a democrat? My parents make well over that $250k mark where the taxes are increased and both registered republicans but still voted for Obama, I'll give you one guess why. Not saying he's the best candidate but when given the opportunity people's minds can be swayed by external factors that are apolitical and the same can be said for Sumlin in the football spectrum. My 12 year old son is almost 6' tall, 140 lbs and bench presses 165 already and can touch the nets on a 10' goal but my 6 year old just beat him in a 40 yard dash. I say that to say one or all three of my sons will probably get football scholarships just like Dad and all three current cousins that are of age and playing FBS football or have FBS offers. Even though the A&M board of regents gave me my economics degree in '06 UT was still the school of choice for me to send my kids to just like two of my uncles and one of my cousins that is currently playing for the Horns . . . . That was until A&M made a hire that shifted the Texas recruiting landscape.

*I know most of y'all will read the article and say this stuff happened a long time ago but you're old enough to remember it vividly, some of you were probably part of the "Seperate but Equal" doctorine so I don't expect you to understand and you probably never will. I'm sure y'all would have been right along with the group watching Emmit Till also, but hey, the Aggies are relevant again and that's all that matters.

And for the person that made the Rob Parker comment. If you're not African-Amercan and your daughter walked in with a kid with dreadlocks and said she wanted to marry him and didn't play qb for Baylor then or the Skins now how would you feel? Probably like the girl's Dad I used to date at South Dakota State that referred to me as everything but my name. One game I had 16 carries for 145 and 2 tds on our rivals North Dakota State and afterwards someone asked Mr. K, "hey, doesn't your daughter date that guy that plays rb at state". I guess after that he was cool with it because he sent me VHS tapes of the new combine he bought and how it operated for some reason. Rob Parker wasn't that far off with his comments, that's why ESPN didn't initially suspend him. Those comments especially fit down here in the SETX, I'm 29 and most everything I've been taught or absorbed over the years was from older gentlemen (black and white) that passed down the ways they think.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1356402" timestamp="1355858571"]
And for the person that made the Rob Parker comment. If you're not African-Amercan and your daughter walked in with a kid with dreadlocks and said she wanted to marry him and didn't play qb for Baylor then or the Skins now how would you feel? Probably like the girl's Dad I used to date at South Dakota State that referred to me as everything but my name. One game I had 16 carries for 145 and 2 tds on our rivals North Dakota State and afterwards someone asked Mr. K, "hey, doesn't your daughter date that guy that plays rb at state". I guess after that he was cool with it because he sent me VHS tapes of the new combine he bought and how it operated for some reason. Rob Parker wasn't that far off with his comments, that's why ESPN didn't initially suspend him. Those comments especially fit down here in the SETX, I'm 29 and most everything I've been taught or absorbed over the years was from older gentlemen (black and white) that passed down the ways they think.
[/quote]
Nice way to get your faded athletic exploits on the board Courgar.  So how does it relate?  Parker went off and deserves to be suspended and then fired.  Where does it say anywhere that so-called TV Sports Journalists can make derogotory comments about professional players?  What gives him that right?  And especially to throw the race thing in there.  I'll be 75 next month and I was born and raised in Texas.  That more than likely makes me a racist - not that all Texans are.  I've consciously tried in
recent years to adjust my attitude and I have made
some progress.  I know that things are different in the
world and in Texas now than they were when I was
growing up.  One must adjust to the times.  But I
personally get set back by the stupid activity of the " Parkers" and analyses like yours.  I won't be around as
long as you will, but I will still try to improve my attitude
for as long as I'm here. 8)

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1356420" timestamp="1355861242"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=107332.msg1356402#msg1356402 date=1355858571]
[/quote]
Nice way to get your faded athletic exploits on the board Courgar.  So how does it relate?  Parker went off and deserves to be suspended and then fired.  Where does it say anywhere that so-called TV Sports Journalists can make derogotory comments about professional players?  What gives him that right?  And especially to throw the race thing in there.  I'll be 75 next month and I was born and raised in Texas.  That more than likely makes me a racist - not that all Texans are.  I've consciously tried in
recent years to adjust my attitude and I have made
some progress.  I know that things are different in the
world and in Texas now than they were when I was
growing up.  One must adjust to the times.  But I
personally get set back by the stupid activity of the " Parkers" and analyses like yours.  I won't be around as
long as you will, but I will still try to improve my attitude
for as long as I'm here. 8)
[/quote]Sorry if you think I was saying anything that happened to me to because you think I need some glory from my past or for that matter live vicariously through my sons, absolutely nothing of the sort. As usual I was giving a pertinent example that was taken out of context. Funny you think Rob Parker is out of line now but at 75 your still TRYING to change. I have no idea who you are but I can tell you were raised in a house where blacks weren't referred to as black and you just recently started trying to refer to us as black. Your calling me stupid for my analysis but yet can't spell the word. I bet given the opportunity you would "accidently" put a .243 center mass on Obama 'cause you think he wants to take away guns but yet still feel bad when someone can walk into a movie theatre or elementary school and commit mass murder. Have you adjusted to that? Of course not, that's why whenever you're around your buddies it still sounds like 1960.  Like your moniker says, you "usedtobe" a racist so don't get on your high horse now to try to make a point you didn't give a d*** about for the first 74 years of your life. As far as I'm concerned you can point your moral compass in a different direction 'cause there's a roadblock over here.

*I'm glad your still here though, that way I can show my sons how it "usedtobe". Hopefully you're not here much longer so you and your conglomerate don't have to TRY to adjust anymore.

By the way usedtobe, if you don't like my views you should write a letter to the Texas A&M Board of Regents or for Rob Parker, the Ivy League Columbia University Board of Regents and asked them to change the cirriculum per YOUR views. . . . Last time I checked both schools were still teaching history.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder