Whoa, hold your horses for LU to the SBC.

UNLV

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_d31933ee-3b09-11e2-aa75-0019bb30f31a.html

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_22095057/benson-further-sun-belt-expansion-still-must-be

Sounds like he was touching base with the schools this week.  With the AD interviews, the rumor on the Lamar board about a 1 oclock meeting, and everything else we heard.  Next week could be interesting.  I could see a couple of invites coming right away and then a few more in the next couple of weeks.

[quote name="ATX31" post="1345130" timestamp="1354294759"]
[quote author=jdcurran235 link=topic=106460.msg1345080#msg1345080 date=1354289971]
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=603461&page=3

IF you want to go vote for LU

Also, does anyone know if we have stadium expansion plans if we move up
[/quote]

Yes we do have 3 stadium expansion plans if we do decide to move up
[/quote]

Are you talking about expansion in 3 stages or 3 seperate plans of how the stadium would be expanded?  I would be interested in what those plans are!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1345173" timestamp="1354299122"]
[quote author=ATX31 link=topic=106460.msg1345130#msg1345130 date=1354294759]
[quote author=jdcurran235 link=topic=106460.msg1345080#msg1345080 date=1354289971]
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=603461&page=3

IF you want to go vote for LU

Also, does anyone know if we have stadium expansion plans if we move up
[/quote]

Yes we do have 3 stadium expansion plans if we do decide to move up
[/quote]

Are you talking about expansion in 3 stages or 3 seperate plans of how the stadium would be expanded?  I would be interested in what those plans are!
[/quote]

3 different plans on how the stadium can upgrade. Let me try and find the plans again what was said exactly

Per Mike on BRI:
Reached out to some folks today and this is what I've got:

-I think it's pretty obvious that the SBC and LU have spoken.  I'd say that if LU was financially ready to make such a move and their sports teams were winning in the SLC on a more consistent basis it would almost be a certainty that they'd be invited and accept the invitation to the SBC.  The issue is they are not ready.  The timing for all of this recent conference movement and the opportunity for LU to move up to an FBS conference is not occurring at the most opportune time for the university. 

- I hear that the SBC has a list of Georgia Southern, Idaho, New Mexico State & then Lamar. Indications are that GSU & NM State will accept and rumors have Idaho joining in football only. The Vandals other sports would stay in the WAC or could possibly move to the Big Sky conference. Lamar would be on deck for the SBC.

What does all this mean?

It means who really knows?  I read somewhere else that LU would be announced moving to the Sun Belt in two weeks.....well that could still happen but other than probably Jimmy Simmons, Jason Henderson & Karl Benson who really knows the answer?  I don't expect it to happen but I've been wrong before.  Too many people I've spoken to that would have heard some news of this by now tell me that they haven't heard anything.  They either have great poker faces or Lamar still has a lot of obstacles in the way before making such a move.

Stay tuned, we'll keep asking.   

[quote name="ATX31" post="1345134" timestamp="1354295021"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=106460.msg1345095#msg1345095 date=1354291216]
Here is another curve ball. A scenario that is small but growing is a SBC/CUSA merger.
[/quote]

That will NOT happen at all
[/quote]au contraire mon frere

Some  one please translate that for ole puddin tane

If the BIG 12, not BIG ten, takes Georgia tech, Clemson, Miami, and Fla st AND Pac 12 go to 14 with Hawaii and NMU.

Back filling will suck the MWC, SBC, and CUSA dry. You will hear merger talk.

[quote name="jdcurran235" post="1345382" timestamp="1354316328"]
Per Mike on BRI:
Reached out to some folks today and this is what I've got:

-I think it's pretty obvious that the SBC and LU have spoken.  I'd say that if LU was financially ready to make such a move and their sports teams were winning in the SLC on a more consistent basis it would almost be a certainty that they'd be invited and accept the invitation to the SBC.  The issue is they are not ready.  The timing for all of this recent conference movement and the opportunity for LU to move up to an FBS conference is not occurring at the most opportune time for the university. 

- I hear that the SBC has a list of Georgia Southern, Idaho, New Mexico State & then Lamar. Indications are that GSU & NM State will accept and rumors have Idaho joining in football only. The Vandals other sports would stay in the WAC or could possibly move to the Big Sky conference. Lamar would be on deck for the SBC.

What does all this mean?

It means who really knows?  I read somewhere else that LU would be announced moving to the Sun Belt in two weeks.....well that could still happen but other than probably Jimmy Simmons, Jason Henderson & Karl Benson who really knows the answer?  I don't expect it to happen but I've been wrong before.  Too many people I've spoken to that would have heard some news of this by now tell me that they haven't heard anything.  They either have great poker faces or Lamar still has a lot of obstacles in the way before making such a move.

Stay tuned, we'll keep asking. 
[/quote]Sounds like some one is blowing smoke to pretend he is in the know. Outside football, SBC is the SLC and Lamar would do fine. Troy and Monroe do very well in football, but olympic sports are garbage. Other than football, nothing great about the SBC and I find it hard to believe anyone at Lamar is so stupid to  think so.

Just a quick look...

SBC basketball hasn't been too bad over the years.
  WKU made the NCAA tournament 22 times and the sweet 16 7 times.
  UTA has had some decent basketball teams in recent years.
  ULL had some decent teams.

There has been some success in baseball also.
  ULL made the NCAA tournament 12 times and the College World Series 1 time.
  Texas State has been pretty good in baseball in recent years.

Didn't look anymore, but the SBC would be a step up in competition in our main sports.  (I guess I'm one of the deluded ones that think it would be a good fit.)

[quote name="UNLV" post="1345625" timestamp="1354327641"]

If the BIG 12, not BIG ten, takes Georgia tech, Clemson, Miami, and Fla st AND Pac 12 go to 14 with Hawaii and NMU.

[/quote]

If the PAC expands, they sure as hell wouldn't take Hawaii or New Mexico. I think it'd be something like Boise and San Diego St or Houston/SMU (then again idk about SMU since the Pac isnt big on religious affiliated schools but SMU isn't like Baylor or BYU or Liberty plus USC is Methodist affiliated so...) or UNLV/Fresno (Though most conferences aren't too keen on taking a school in Vegas).

However it goes, it won't New Mexico or Hawaii though.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1346473" timestamp="1354364126"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=106460.msg1345625#msg1345625 date=1354327641]

[/quote]

If the PAC expands, they sure as heck wouldn't take Hawaii or New Mexico. I think it'd be something like Boise and San Diego St or Houston/SMU (then again idk about SMU since the Pac isnt big on religious affiliated schools but SMU isn't like Baylor or BYU or Liberty plus USC is Methodist affiliated so...) or UNLV/Fresno (Though most conferences aren't too keen on taking a school in Vegas).

However it goes, it won't New Mexico or Hawaii though.
[/quote]No way would the Pac ever take Boise. The Pac is not looking for good football, Academics first and Boise is probably the worst FBS academic school.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1346542" timestamp="1354374057"]
No way would the Pac ever take Boise.[/quote]

Sounds like some one is blowing smoke to pretend he is in the know

[url=http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/01/pac-12-expansion-boise-state-san-diego-state/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp]http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/01/pac-12-expansion-boise-state-san-diego-state/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp[/url]

So here is my theory:

I think LU does not have a problem with adding scholarships if that is all that they would have to do.  I think the SBC is demanding certain requirements of LU before they extend us an invite.  I think the conference call was about what LU needed to get done to get an invite.  I think LU spends the next week talking to donors to see what money is available to meet the demands of he sunbelt.  IE entrance fees and whatever else the SBC is demanding.  LU will have another meeting in the next week or two with the SBC so everyone can get on the same page.  At that point we MAY see an invite from the SBC.  I think the "BALL" might be in our court right now.  We might be working to meet the demands of the SBC.  Thoughts?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder