Bridge City AD

Guest Football

I don't know how anybody knows who is being interviewed. Maybe they know the individual and he told him he applied and did not get a call for an interview. Have they started the interviews yet? Just because someone taught or coached there does not make them qualified if they have served only as a speciality coach and not a head coach or densive or offensive cordiantor. Maybe the school board does not want to interview someone they know they will not hire anyway. I know BC has had a lot of good coaches in their system both past and present. But I hope the school board will not hire someone just because the individual is a good guy. If someone with more qualifications applies then why waste time on an applicant that does not have a chance of being selected. Just because someone was a past student or player or is from Bridge City does not make him qualified. Let's hope the board will hire the best qualified person. That should include not only good football savey but also a "good guy" with good morals and character. All the eggs in one basket.

As to the person who asked how Les Johnson turned around BC's program don't just look at won loss records. Before he came to coach in Bridge City we were the whipping boys of the district. WOS used to have a first down inside the 20 yard line and kick a field goal to keep from running up the score more than they could have. Coach Johnson was the first coach to put BC in position to whip WOS in the 1996 football season. His teams were fun to watch. The games they lost were close except for the LCM game. They took PNG down to the wire and if they won that game they would have won district. If BC had made one more first down before PNG's winning drive they would not have had enough time to conduct a long drive. The only problem with that team was the defense was not strong enough. To fault coach Johnson he would not let any players go both ways. If he had used some of his big offensive linemen on defense when he needed to he probably would have beat PNG. He changed the pholosophy of the coaches that were already in place when he came here and they hated him for it. He made the practices tougher and some of the kids that could not cut it quit but others joined the team to play for him. I was at a board meeting when some teachers and students involved in other sports were bashing him. I was sitting only a few chairs from him. Many of the football players came up to him and showed their support. I know he was a tough old buzzard and I probably would not have liked working for him but he did make the changes that needed to be made and turned the program around. I sat in the stands and watched a very meager team play for 8 years when my kids were in school. Only the last year that my kid was in school before graduation was when the program turned around and the team was fun to watch. Some of the things coaches of other sports were complaining about was that Johnson refused to let the players have their names on the back of their jerseys. He did this to create a team consept rather than individuals. In my opinion this was a petty thing to complain about. Perhaps if he were the head coach and someone else was the AD as someone else suggested then everything would have been all right. In my opinion he was a better coach than Fred Bolton or Terry Townsen. I am not talking about what kind of person either of these men are because I did not know either of them personally. I wouldn't comment on their character in a negative maner even if I did know them. The only reason I said he was better in my opinion is because someone rated the past coaches and placed them higher than coach Johnson. I just think coach Johnson was a good football coach when it came to teaching the kids how to play the game and instill a winning attatude.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Townzen beat PNG.

Don't get me wrong i am sure he did some good things over there, but going through 40 something coaches in 4 years, alot that he hired himself, has to something about the guy. He ran off the reason BC baseball is what it is today in Chuck Young, I was told that he told the basketball coach one time that he would never beat WOS until they beat them in football. Well BC has beat WOS in basketball, still waiting on football. To me turning a prgram around does mean you have to look at the records. The thing that turned BC around was a great group of kids and the drop to 3A.

Good luck to BC in this process.

Well said!! Can someone PLEASE tell me why this man isn't getting an interview?????

Probably for the same reason Jeff Mathews did not get an interview.  And it all begins and ends with one guy, and I think most people know who I am talking about.  Both of these guys not getting an interview is a crock and an emberassment to BCHS. 

Townzen beat PNG.

Don't get me wrong i am sure he did some good things over there, but going through 40 something coaches in 4 years, alot that he hired himself, has to something about the guy. He ran off the reason BC baseball is what it is today in Chuck Young, I was told that he told the basketball coach one time that he would never beat WOS until they beat them in football. Well BC has beat WOS in basketball, still waiting on football. To me turning a prgram around does mean you have to look at the records. The thing that turned BC around was a great group of kids and the drop to 3A.

Good luck to BC in this process.

BC was in 4A in the 1996 football season. That is the year that they almost won district under coach Johnson when they lost to PNG in the last minutes of the game.

Chuck Young was a great baseball coach, probably the best at BC up to that time. Not taking anything away from Billy Bryant because he is a great coach also. Chuck Young left because baseball was his thing and he did not like whatever he had to do with the football program. Probably the straw that broke the camel's back was when Johnson used the baseball field for football practice. I'm sure coach Young had trouble sleeping at night when that happened and couldn't wait to leave. It was ashame we lost him because he really knew baseball and the kids loved him. I never said coach Johnson was a first class kind of guy I just said he knew how to coach football and I think, imo, he would have beaten WOS in a few years had he stayed. But he is history now. Let's hope the board hires someone that everyone will be proud of. Someone like PNG's Doug Ethedrige in the 70's. Coach Etheridge took care of the kids first then turned them in to winners. He probably was the best coach and first class gentleman that PNG has ever had.

Guest licketysplit

WWOOOOEEEYYYY..........Finally someone calling it like it is.......Russell.....you the man.  The one who needs to go.....just wont go.........That is the problem... Also for Johnson fans out there....If you run off that many coaches.........YOUR NOT A GOOD COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry......that is the way it is.  Any HC that runs off that many coaches has a problem, and the wins and losses can be chuncked out the window at that point.  Thats the problem with society in general right now.....We look at Well he won didn't he???? SO what....If he was a jerk.......Is that the atmosphere we would promote.NO...... 

so who is the guy everyone thinks has the greatest shot at getting the job? I keep hearing that they are going outside. Who available outside is sooo great???

Cardinal supporter...I agree with every word you said...and mayb the reason johnson went through so many coaches is maybe they didnt want to do there job...when he came most of the coaches here seemed to just accept that we were never going to be able to compete in 4a and just showed up to collect there check....i know he was a very difficult person to work for but he got the job done and made the kids think they could compete....this is just my opinion but like i said before i have been here all my life and have probably missed maybe a average of one game a year and he did a good job as football coach...and i really dont care who they hire as long as it is someone that can put a competative team on the field every year becasue ther is no reason we cant compete for a playoff spot every year....and someone who cares about all sports....

Guest Football

Well said!! Can someone PLEASE tell me why this man isn't getting an interview?????

I think there is two ways to look at this. 1) He got disrespected. Put in that much community time, you expect to at least be able to talk with the "higher powers."

Or 2) a lot of times as a coach, if they have decided you don't meet the credentials that they are looking for, and they have a preconceived notion not to hire you, a "token interview" is more disrespectful than no interview at all.....

Personally, I don't want an interview for any occupation, unless I have a shot at getting hired.

It all Starts with Joe C.  He does not like Richie or Jeff.  It is a shame that our kids could possibly suffer because of one mans ego.

Very well said.  And 100% the truth.  I hope Karma does not come back to bite us in the rear because of this individual.

I know Briggs and Matthews and I like both of them very much. I think they are both good men and could do any job they were given. I also think that plain and simple, your district "powers that be" are angry at Jeff about the last time it was open and he wouldn't take it. (Remember, these are the same people that didn't think Todd Dodg was good enough.)  I think Briggs hurt his chances by being out of coaching for the past 2 years. 

"Powers that be" holding grudges.  I've heard that is a problem in BC.  The "Powers" should be doing everything and anything that would be in the best interest of the KIDS!  That should be the bottom line.  Whether you like someone, dislike someone, hold a grudge, etc.......is not important.  If the "Powers that be" are doing this, then something is wrong!  Nothing or no one should stand in the way of doing whats right for our KIDS!

I have a hard time figuring out why everyone on here is so convinced Briggs would do such a great job.  I personally know and like the guy, but just liking somebody doens't mean that they should get a job.  As far as I know, he has never been an AD, head football coach, or even a coordinator.  This is part of the job requirement.  Do you want to hire someone not qualified?  Hometown boys and people everyone like are not always the most qualified. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317