Coaching in Jr High Football

ST413

I am sitting here in Kountze watching an  eighth grade football game. I have seen for plays two on special teams and two on offense where Kountze had as few as nine players on the field. The coach even counted players on one kickoff where they were shorthanded. Those seem to be the things that should be focused on in jr high game, the basics.  Get these kids ready for the next level and pay more attention to them now.

[quote name="ST413" post="1277070" timestamp="1348185610"]
I am sitting here in Kountze watching an  eighth grade football game. I have seen for plays two on special teams and two on offense where Kountze had as few as nine players on the field. The coach even counted players on one kickoff where they were shorthanded. Those seem to be the things that should be focused on in jr high game, the basics.  Get these kids ready for the next level and pay more attention to them now.
[/quote]
Yeah it looked ruff.. But they have only been practicing for a week with pads on. That 8th grade Ktz team will breeze through district in basketball and football. Silsbee's 8th grade is a elite team in my opinion.. (I coach kids from both teams in basketball) but you are right, basic stuff like that SHOULD be the focus

[quote name="bradyb" post="1277255" timestamp="1348195769"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=103428.msg1277070#msg1277070 date=1348185610]
[/quote]
Yeah it looked ruff.. But they have only been practicing for a week with pads on. That 8th grade Ktz team will breeze through district in basketball and football. Silsbee's 8th grade is a elite team in my opinion.. (I coach kids from both teams in basketball) but you are right, basic stuff like that SHOULD be the focus
[/quote]

This was in no way directed at the kids.  It was directed towards the coaching. It was evident that Kountze was outmanned as far as overall talent in both games. I was actually there on the Kountze side due to knowing the parent of a Kountze 7th grade player.  Kountze actually ran at least 2 or 3 of these plays with not enough players on the field. These kids have actually been in pads almost three weeks now, they were supposed to play a game  two thursdays ago but couldn't because they had only got their pads that monday.  It was obvious that these kids weren't getting enough direction either in amount of time or quality of instuction. Coaches should have realized a lot quicker how many players were on the field.  Those kids deserve better.

[quote name="ST413" post="1277326" timestamp="1348204026"]
[quote author=bradyb link=topic=103428.msg1277255#msg1277255 date=1348195769]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=103428.msg1277070#msg1277070 date=1348185610]
[/quote]
[/quote]

This was in no way directed at the kids.  It was directed towards the coaching. It was evident that Kountze was outmanned as far as overall talent in both games. I was actually there on the Kountze side due to knowing the parent of a Kountze 7th grade player.  Kountze actually ran at least 2 or 3 of these plays with not enough players on the field. These kids have actually been in pads almost three weeks now, they were supposed to play a game  two thursdays ago but couldn't because they had only got their pads that monday.  It was obvious that these kids weren't getting enough direction either in amount of time or quality of instuction. Coaches should have realized a lot quicker how many players were on the field.  Those kids deserve better.
[/quote]
I agree.. I know it wasn't directed towards the kids. I was just stating my opinion about how they will do in district .. And sorry, I thought they started practice in pads on the 12th ..

I agree totally!! These kids will be our future varsity players.. you cant go from little league coaches being hard on them, to middle school you dont have to hustle or work hard.. to high school, where most our kids quit cause they cant handle hard work.. Our kids looked horrible yesterday, some didnt know how to hit or block, some didnt even know where to line up at.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami