WO-S Vs Nederland This Friday

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WO-S doesnt do controlled scrimmages, They do game like scrimmages were the score is kept, only thing different is they dont do live kick-offs and punt returns.. And even if it was controlled fans and coaches still keep score! Only fans and or coaches of a losing/un-successful program say things like "hey guys its just a scrimmage there isnt a score" Last year in the Vidor Scrimmage WO-S won with a last second field goal. Vidor was keeping the score and the time on the scoreboard

[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1244990" timestamp="1344985056"]
WO-S doesnt do controlled scrimmages, They do game like scrimmages were the score is kept, only thing different is they dont do live kick-offs and punt returns.. And even if it was controlled fans and coaches still keep score! Only fans and or coaches of a losing/un-successful program say things like "hey guys its just a scrimmage there isnt a score" Last year in the Vidor Scrimmage WO-S won with a last second field goal. Vidor was keeping the score and the time on the scoreboard
[/quote]

Until the UIL records scrimmages as actual wins and losses on a school and coach's record, then there is no such thing as winning or losing a scrimmage, game type or not.

Out performing, looking better, playing better, these are phrases that I think are fair for fans to use in describing their team's performance in a scrimmage. Not win or lose.

I assure you that if it were a real game, it would be played differently than it will this Friday...scrimmages are used by coaches to evaluate players and look at different situations...score can kept or not, but to me it has little relevance since the entire playbook is not used and many substitution patterns are used that will not be in regular season games.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1245033" timestamp="1344992330"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101630.msg1245012#msg1245012 date=1344989635]
I just hope they leave the bands & cheerleaders at home and dont make t-shirts about the scrimmage.  ;)
[/quote]
Lmao!
[/quote]you would be surprised how many schools do that stuff smh  ::)

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1245038" timestamp="1344992910"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=101630.msg1245033#msg1245033 date=1344992330]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101630.msg1245012#msg1245012 date=1344989635]
I just hope they leave the bands & cheerleaders at home and dont make t-shirts about the scrimmage.  ;)
[/quote]
Lmao!
[/quote]

Hey!  The cheerleaders and the band have to get their reps in, too! ;D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1245038" timestamp="1344992910"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=101630.msg1245033#msg1245033 date=1344992330]
[/quote]
Lmao!
[/quote]
That's just funny....

in a sad way....

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1245043" timestamp="1344993117"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101630.msg1245038#msg1245038 date=1344992910]
[/quote]
Lmao!
[/quote]

Hey!  The cheerleaders and the band have to get their reps in, too! ;D
[/quote]*sigh*

[quote name="Razor" post="1244993" timestamp="1344985578"]
I assure you that if it were a real game, it would be played differently than it will this Friday...scrimmages are used by coaches to evaluate players and look at different situations...score can kept or not, but to me it has little relevance since the entire playbook is not used and many substitution patterns are used that will not be in regular season games.
[/quote]

ou guys tell the coaches it doesnt count or it has little relevance and see what kind of reaction you get, if it had little relevance then the coaches wouldnt do it.. Its a big deal and the best way to test were your team is.. if it wasnt important the coaches wouldnt coach the kids it would be like 7on7.. Come on guys..

Also for the 2nd string comment WO-S has only if i counted correctly 25 kids who will have silver helmets, So really and truly WO-S doesnt have a second string and they havent had a true second string in years if you look at all of their games since last year the starters stay in the entire game..

[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1245083" timestamp="1344996935"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=101630.msg1244993#msg1244993 date=1344985578]
[/quote]

ou guys tell the coaches it doesnt count or it has little relevance and see what kind of reaction you get, if it had little relevance then the coaches wouldnt do it.. Its a big deal and the best way to test were your team is.. if it wasnt important the coaches wouldnt coach the kids it would be like 7on7.. Come on guys..

Also for the 2nd string comment WO-S has only if i counted correctly 25 kids who will have silver helmets, So really and truly WO-S doesnt have a second string and they havent had a true second string in years if you look at all of their games since last year the starters stay in the entire game..
[/quote]
sure it's relevant. it is an evaluation process and a coaching tool. the score board at the end(if kept) has no relevance. it simply doesn't count as a win or loss.

[quote name="Gtj007" post="1245090" timestamp="1344997405"]
So then how can you determine a "winner" if Nederland plays their backups half of the time and WOS leaves the starters in the entire time?
[/quote]Have a battle of the bands, well, a band. Oooops wrong schools, my bad.

[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1245083" timestamp="1344996935"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=101630.msg1244993#msg1244993 date=1344985578]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are reminding me of politicians with this comment....assuming I meant something that I never said...I never said the scrimmage wasn't relevant, I said the score had minimal relevance...scrimmages have value in several ways, with the final score being down the list...

Guest Bamahater
[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1244990" timestamp="1344985056"]
[/quote]
Yea vidor was up big then WOS came back on vidors third stringers. Scrimmages don't count for anything. It's just a practice against another team

I hear this scrimmage is so important that it is being aired on ESPN. :o :o :o

Seriously though, this is a joke. High school scrimmages are the equivalent to NFL preseason games. A score might be kept, but who the heck cares about the final score? Scrimmages do have relevance in that they are a great coaching tool, nothing more. Getting starters some reps, evaluating back ups and depth, maybe experimenting with new packages or plays. The result of the game carries no weight. Like they say on Monday Night Football, "C'MON MAN!!"

Concerning the second stringers comments...WO-S does have second and third string teams. Having 30 or less players doesn't change that.  They have some players not in silver helmets who will be evaluated on the varsity level.  Plus, they have players who will play in positions they normally do not play in order to grade them, as well. 

To the coaches for both teams, this is all about grading their teams progress and individual players.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I know for a fact that is true for Coach Thompson.  No game planning or Friday night strategy will be involved.  Therefore, any "score" will not matter at all.  A few comments on here make too big of a deal about this scrimmage. 

When I think of scrimmages, I'm reminded of the 2000 season when Lumberton got the better of WO-S in the first scrimmage of the year.  It was a wake up call for the Mustangs.  If the two teams had played in the regular season, WO-S would have manhandled the Raiders.  But the scrimmage did what it is supposed to.  It motivated the players and helped the coaches evaluate the team's progress and what needed to improve.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder