great running backs you had the pleaser in watching from s.e texas

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1240746" timestamp="1343681812"]
As far as this site and discussion is concerned, yes.

Now before you scoff, realize that Iola and Anderson Shiro are definitely in the College Station area. Look it up for yourself. Aledo? It depends. Carthage, Center, and Grapeland are now included, perhaps Aledo in the near future.

Personally, I define SETX as south of 190 from Jasper to Livingston, and east of 59 and 146.
[/quote]

Those schools are only previewed based on them being in districts with some of our SETX teams. They will not be included in any of our rankings. Those schools are not considered to be Southeast Texas schools by this website.

I'll let the man who did those awesome previews explain to you why he did those previews that way.

A&M Consolidated and Aledo are not SETX schools. You know it but seem to have a burr in your saddle about our coverage here on the site so you are obviously trying to be a smart you-know-what about it.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1240746" timestamp="1343681812"]
As far as this site and discussion is concerned, yes.

Now before you scoff, realize that Iola and Anderson Shiro are definitely in the College Station area. Look it up for yourself. Aledo? It depends. Carthage, Center, and Grapeland are now included, perhaps Aledo in the near future.

Personally, I define SETX as south of 190 from Jasper to Livingston, and east of 59 and 146.
[/quote]

Actually, none of the teams mentioned (with the exception of Center) are considered "SETX" teams.  Only two of them, Carthage and Center, have or will have a preview posted on them.  When I came aboard a few years ago, I felt that followers of schools in SETX should not only be able to follow just those schools who also happen to be in SETX, but should be able to have some exposure to teams in their district who happen to fall outside of that umbrella.  So that is why I started posting the schedules, results and position in standings of every team that was in a district with an SETX team.  In fact, last year, I did post a preview of every team that was in a district with an SETX team to give the fans even more information about schools that their favorite teams were facing.  This year, I scaled that back and only did that for the local districts in 5A-3A.  Why?  1) Because the response I got to the questionnaires from coaches of schools outside of SETX 2A and below was lousy and 2) the views on those particular previews were even lousier.  And I will review the process, as I do every year, to determine whether I will even continue that process in the 5A-3A ranks.

But that aside, I will continue to gather and post the schedules for schools that are not under the SETX umbrella who happen to be in districts with teams that do fall under that umbrella for reasons stated above.I do it that way for no other reason than to ensure that the members of SETXsports.com have as much information surrounding their school as I can possibly give to them.  But that should not be interpreted as an expansion of the borders of SETXsports as they will not appear in any of the composite weekly football schedules unless 1) they are playing an SETX team or 2) they are playing a district game.  Further, they will not be eligible for any of the rankings done by the SETXsports.com staff.

Make no mistake, I don't see the umbrella expanding anytime soon as I have previously stated that I have no desire to expand the borders into the Houston or East Texas areas anymore than we have already....we have tried and have not achieved near the level of success that we have here in Southeast Texas.  The school that are under the umbrella now, with very few exceptions, have been considered SETX for some time now, and right now the staff is pretty happy as to its current configuation.

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="1240763" timestamp="1343684977"]
Well I'm thinking if Groveton can be considered then so can Humble. Mike Mosely, even though he played the quarterback position he ran the ball more than running backs most games. That guy could flat out play.
[/quote]

Actually, I have agreed to experiment with the 4A Humble schools (Humble, Summer Creek and Kingwood Park) under the umbrella.  La Porte was also added to the roster.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1240770" timestamp="1343686434"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=101325.msg1240640#msg1240640 date=1343652360]
Christine Michael. Tackling him is like trying to knock over a truck.  ;D
[/quote]More like trying to drag down a moose.  ;D
[/quote]

The moose drug a lot of folks all over the field.

Another one that was hard to bring down (even though he was known more for his success on the other side of the ball in college and the pros) was Jerry Ball at West Brook.

He looked like a bowling ball when he was running and unfortunately a lot of would-be tacklers looked like bowling pins getting hit.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1240772" timestamp="1343686608"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=101325.msg1240770#msg1240770 date=1343686434]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=101325.msg1240640#msg1240640 date=1343652360]
Christine Michael. Tackling him is like trying to knock over a truck.  ;D
[/quote]More like trying to drag down a moose.  ;D
[/quote]

The moose drug a lot of folks all over the field.
[/quote]Very true! those legs just didn't stop churning. He was a pleasure to watch...excep when it was against Central. 

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1240755" timestamp="1343683151"]
A&M Consolidated and Aledo are not SETX schools. You know it but seem to have a burr in your saddle about our coverage here on the site so you are obviously trying to be a smart you-know-what about it.
[/quote]

WOW, AAW. If you will [i]reread[/i], I simply responded to a question from TV. Thats all. Before that, I offered NO COMMENTARY whatsoever on this topic.  Should I have simply ignored his question?

Burr in the saddle? No, none at all, FROM ME. The "burr in the saddle" is coming from the one who just interjected a "smart you-know-what" comment towards me.     

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1240739" timestamp="1343680616"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=101325.msg1240734#msg1240734 date=1343679614]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=101325.msg1240707#msg1240707 date=1343672574]
Cliff Groce from A&M Consolidated and Johnathan Gray from Aledo.
[/quote]

What part of  SE Texas don't you understand?
[/quote]

[b]Pretty sure almost anyone anywhere in TX might be included under the SETX "umbrella" at this point. San Augustine is in and Tatum is almost in now. Hence my post. Get it?
[/b]
My comprehensional abilities are more than fine, thanks.
[/quote]

So this wasn't a sarcastic commentary on the teams we cover here at SETXsports?

Not to mention the pm you sent me a while back questioning about Tatum.

TV's question was in regards to your post about the running backs from Aledo and College Station, which are not SETX teams. So why make that post in this thread?

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1240786" timestamp="1343692133"]

[/quote]

OK pal. You hate me, fine. Have at it, AAW.

As for the PM, you took it totally wrong. Besides that, I keep EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY PM I get in total confidence, as a courtesy to all. I see YOU can't be trusted to extend that same courtesy, AAW. Go figure.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1240790" timestamp="1343692619"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=101325.msg1240786#msg1240786 date=1343692133]

[/quote]

OK pal. You hate me, fine. Have at it, AAW.

As for the PM, you took it totally wrong. Besides that, I keep EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY PM I get in total confidence, as a courtesy to all. I see YOU can't be trusted to extend that same courtesy, AAW. Go figure.
[/quote]

No hate involved at all. Just coming to the defense of someone somewhat ridiculing on the sites coverage of schools. You obviously have some sort of problem with the what this site considers it's coverage area or you would not have brought up the A&M Cons. or Aledo players in the conversation. Then named some other schools in a rebuttal with TV.

BTW, how was I suppose to take that pm?

I have had the pleasure of watching some of southeast Texas finest.I have seen Jamaal Charles great back.Anthony Byerly nice back.Christin Michaels Great back.Leeland McElory nice back.But from what I have seen the best of the best was Joe Washington Jr,hands down..Please if you get the chance look at him on youtube..And I'm a huge Panther fan from way back...

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="1240763" timestamp="1343684977"]
Well I'm thinking if Groveton can be considered then so can Humble. Mike Mosely, even though he played the quarterback position he ran the ball more than running backs most games. [b]That guy could flat out play[/b].
[/quote]

You got that right, Lightning.  Mosely was something else !

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1240694" timestamp="1343668087"]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=101325.msg1240602#msg1240602 date=1343615604]
Reggie Davis- Jasper...but I also remember a guy on PNG's '89 team that ran all over Jasper in the playoffs in Pasadena. It seemed like he ran the ball every play of the fourth quarter to ice that game for them after they took a big lead early. We couldn't stop him for anything. Do you Indian fans remember him?
[/quote]

I think that guy could have been Ron McGill but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

It was Ron McGill.  My nephew loved watching him play.  Would watch highlights of him and try to imitate him.  My nephew was maybe 6 yrs old at the time then we introduced him to Ron.  Oh my, the boy was in heaven.

[quote name="mypooh" post="1241006" timestamp="1343768375"]
[quote author=texasaggie link=topic=101325.msg1240971#msg1240971 date=1343761830]
SETX: C-Mike and Sherman Gilbert
Non-SETX: Leroy Dobbins-Montgomery (saw him from on the field) and Cody Johnson-Waller
[/quote]

Dobbins where he go to college ?
[/quote]I have been wondering that myself

Most fun back with Barry Sanders type miss'ems that I ever saw in person was ShanDerrick Charles.
For those that didn't know, he was Jamaal's older brother. Smaller in stature (5'8" maybe 175 in HS). Played for Lincoln in the late 90's and went on to SMU where he set an SMU single game rushing record as a Freshman (in only 3 quarters), beating out Dickerson and James.

Unfortunately he had a neck injury as a senior at Lincoln that would become re-aggrevated at SMU durring his Soph. season. This ended his FB career.

[quote name="sports fan 4ever" post="1240932" timestamp="1343752535"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=101325.msg1240694#msg1240694 date=1343668087]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=101325.msg1240602#msg1240602 date=1343615604]
Reggie Davis- Jasper...but I also remember a guy on PNG's '89 team that ran all over Jasper in the playoffs in Pasadena. It seemed like he ran the ball every play of the fourth quarter to ice that game for them after they took a big lead early. We couldn't stop him for anything. Do you Indian fans remember him?
[/quote]

I think that guy could have been Ron McGill but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

It was Ron McGill.  My nephew loved watching him play.  Would watch highlights of him and try to imitate him.  My nephew was maybe 6 yrs old at the time then we introduced him to Ron.  Oh my, the boy was in heaven.
[/quote]

He happens to be my BIL.

[quote name="badndn" post="1241013" timestamp="1343769558"]
Most fun back with Barry Sanders type miss'ems that I ever saw in person was ShanDerrick Charles.
For those that didn't know, he was Jamaal's older brother. Smaller in stature (5'8" maybe 175 in HS). Played for Lincoln in the late 90's and went on to SMU where he set an SMU single game rushing record as a Freshman (in only 3 quarters), beating out Dickerson and James.

Unfortunately he had a neck injury as a senior at Lincoln that would become re-aggrevated at SMU durring his Soph. season. This ended his FB career.
[/quote]Shan D had the strongest stiff arm i ever seen from a HS RB of his size. Period.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder