To many Coaches teaching

He makes a few good points but I can't believe that he lives in TEXAS and is brave enough to write this column.  I'm willing to bet every coach would love to "coach" only and leave the classroom to "real" teachers but that's not the case.  Coaches coach, coaches teach, and coaches are the first ones that teachers like this guy call when they need help with discipline or other problems that happen at school. 

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="1228812" timestamp="1338933061"]
He makes a few good points but I can't believe that he lives in TEXAS and is brave enough to write this column.  I'm willing to bet every coach would love to "coach" only and leave the classroom to "real" teachers but that's not the case.  Coaches coach, coaches teach, and coaches are the first ones that teachers like this guy call when they need help with discipline or other problems that happen at school. 
[/quote]

I am quite sure that there are some coaches who do wish that Mr. Dickerson's idea of teaching utopia were installed in Texas schools.  But the reason that I earlier called his words the "rantings of a bitter man" was his painting all coaches with a broad brush and basically saying that a coach is physically not capable of social studies, or any subject for that matter.  Or even worse, that a coach has no care about the subject that they are teaching outside of their coaching duties.  In my time both growing up and doing work for this board, I have come into contact with many coaches (in fact I would say the vast majority) who take their teaching assignments very seriously and do not just view them as a way of passing the hours until it is time to hit the field and, moreover, were more than qualified and capable of teaching the subjects which they were assigned.  His gross generalization exposes his bitterness.

Second, Mr. Dickerson fails to realize that the questions that he is asked is not for emphasis of football over academics.  It is strictly a question of economics.  Thus by using the words he does, it is obvious that he has no clue as to budgetary constraints that many a district, from large to small, face these days.

If I am D.W. Rutledge and I see this article I am hitting the roof, calling the newspaper and demanding my chance to reply in writing.

It was interesting to see that he's a former teacher.  I'm assuming he would have enough common sense not to post something like that if he were currently teaching.  I wonder how much that article will be held against him should he decide to apply for another teaching position.

Of course most schools are going to ask male teaching applicants if they can coach a sport.  It's a financial necessity for most school districts.  I think his article is offensive to those teachers who also coach.  You have good and bad teachers from both genders and at all grade levels.  I don't think coaching is the reason.  I had a History teacher who was the head baseball coach at my high school.  He taught consistently throughout the year, no matter the season.  The only sign he was baseball oriented was that he could peg a sleeping kid with his chalkboard eraser from the front of the room and never break stride in his lecture.

Sounds like he was passed over for a job because the other candidate was willing (or able) to accept coaching duties.  Let's see...he's a former teacher that is currently working on his master's degree in secondary education.  It does not sound like he is leaving the profession.

You'd be surprised how many teachers hate coaches just because they are coaches.  I have heard comments that they are not full time teachers.  The last time I checked, coaches work more hours than teachers.  At the secondary level, coaches help to ensure that classroom management for ALL teachers is paramount to ensure the most conducive teaching environment. 

Mr. Dickerson probably fits the mold of anti-coach until he has a problem with an athlete in which case he is the first one to send an e-mail to a coach to solve HIS problem.

I am in the middle on this one. It is not across the board that they are bad but "most" coaches just want to coach and sometimes that is reflected in the classroom they teach in.

However, I have had some coaches as teachers that were really good.

If a coach doesnt win a game he/she ultimately is fired for poor student performance during his/her season. When was the last time a teacher was let go due to poor student performance.
Also, a coach can't teach in the state of Texas unless they have a vaild teaching certificate. Universities have a few coaching classes but the majority of their coursework consists of teaching, instruction, and learning state curriculum. Kinesiology is a teaching field that consist of anatomy courses that rival the T.V. show House. While this opinion guy is watching House, there are coaches at practice attempting to motivate young student athletes to a higher level they alone cannot achieve themselves.
Finally, check the state test scores in Social Studies vs. any other subject and see who has the higher score. Last time I checked the highest score wins and you dont have to be a coach to understand that.

[quote name="Cowboys" post="1228986" timestamp="1339002498"]
Sounds like he was passed over for a job because the other candidate was willing (or able) to accept coaching duties.  Let's see...he's a former teacher that is currently working on his master's degree in secondary education.  It does not sound like he is leaving the profession.

You'd be surprised how many teachers hate coaches just because they are coaches.  I have heard comments that they are not full time teachers.  The last time I checked, coaches work more hours than teachers.  At the secondary level, coaches help to ensure that classroom management for ALL teachers is paramount to ensure the most conducive teaching environment. 

Mr. Dickerson probably fits the mold of anti-coach [b]until he has a problem with an athlete in which case he is the first one to send an e-mail to a coach to solve HIS problem.[/b]
[/quote]
IMO he sounds like the type of guy that would fail a kid who had a 69.5 just because he is a football or baseball or basketball player.

The STAAR test will result in changes that are reflective of this article because of the difficulty presently being experienced by Texas students on the latest Social Studies test.  Because this exam is at a  much greater rigor and with a completely different emphasis than the TAKS asssessment,  these scores have fallen significantly. With this in mind, new pressure will be put on districts to emphasis teaching over coaching. However, I remind you that we all know that the bulk of a teacher or coaches salary comes from teaching, and my thought has always been that  since we get paid a lot more to teach than coach, we should take a tremendous amount of pride in doing it, and doing it well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder