Orangefield AD gives up his post!

[quote name="DB70" post="1225249" timestamp="1337752002"]
It is a sad time for the Bobcats...Orangefield kids have always been real tough, but talent was hardly ever on their side.  There were a few years back when they had a run of athletes at the same time when they had Jeff Granger with Toby Shultz and when Bradley Dale and Ronnie Peevey and even in the early 2000's with the Farias kid and Modica, but there were none of those with Coach Huck and he made the Bobcats competitive....he should NEVER have been in a position to beat WO-S or Silsbee or Jasper...but he had a chance to beat WO-S and Silsbee and he beat a very talented Jasper team two years in a row.  But the thing that will most be missed by the kids in Orangefield will be the opportunity to learn the game of LIFE.  He taught them how to win in life and that takes DISCIPLINE, WORK ETHIC and a COMMITMENT to being the BEST you can be.  The kids in Orangefield will be the ones that will suffer when he leaves...There are some good candidates out there but they will have a very difficult time replaceing Coach Huck.  My personal opinion is that he just got tired of fighting the obstacles of a mediocre mind set that has always been a problem in Orangefield...it is the parents of a few that will affect so many.  It is a sad day in the "Field". :-[
[/quote]

GREAT POST, COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On March 27, the school board approved Huckabay's extension with three in favor, Thad Angelle opposed and Jack Smith and Susan Gunstream abstaining from the vote, after going into executive session for almost two hours.

Angelle, who has one son currently in the athletic program at Orangefield High School, said he voted against the extension because participation in the program has decreased under Huckabay, with the district fielding just a varsity and one sub-varsity team the last two years.

Some of Huckabay's practices, such as requiring athletes in sports other than football to lift weights during their athletic period on gameday, have been discontinued by interim superintendent Kay Karr, who took over in March.

Karr said athletes are now able to practice their individual or team sport in-season during the athletic period rather than doing strength and conditioning workouts, which had been the case under Huckabay until March.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Orangefield-head-football-coach-AD-Huckabay-3577387.php#ixzz1wAsDbqne

Since when should the supt. or school board decide what the coaches are supposed to do in the athletic period????  I dont agree with the players lifting on their game days for any sport but let the guy do his freakin' job.  Thats the difference between WOSs and Newtons,etc and the Orangefields.  Let the coaches coach!!!!!!

ALL sports programs and athletes should be allowed to perfect their sports during a particular season; this is the most fair thing you can do for student-athletes and parents. Why should the football coach decide what the basketball and baseball coaches do doing their season. Who is the expert?  This is why I believe the postiont of AD should be neutral,  and that this person should not be head coach of any sport.

[quote name="shooter" post="1226647" timestamp="1338232859"]
ALL sports programs and athletes should be allowed to perfect their sports during a particular season; this is the most fair thing you can do for student-athletes and parents. Why should the football coach decide what the basketball and baseball coaches do doing their season. Who is the expert?  This is why I believe the postiont of AD should be neutral,  and that this person should not be head coach of any sport.
[/quote]

Where exactly would school districts get the funding for a "neutral" AD?  Keeping in mind that it is an administrative position, also keeping in mind that this is Texas and head football coaches are pretty well paid as far as the education field goes.  I wonder how many school districts in this state have an AD who is NOT also the head football coach.

[quote name="LilBobcatMom" post="1226737" timestamp="1338295002"]
[quote author=shooter link=topic=100135.msg1226647#msg1226647 date=1338232859]
[/quote]

Where exactly would school districts get the funding for a "neutral" AD?  Keeping in mind that it is an administrative position, also keeping in mind that this is Texas and head football coaches are pretty well paid as far as the education field goes.  I wonder how many school districts in this state have an AD who is NOT also the head football coach.
[/quote]

Only the very large school districts can afford to have a "neutral" AD. The only two local districts that have this in place is Beaumont and Port Arthur, our two local 5A districts.

It's kind of silly to think 3A-1A school districts could afford to have this situation. ::)

The neutral person could be the principal, assistant supt. or someone else in such a capacity. One poster mentioned that football and AD belongs together because of the money. My response is that the UIL strictly prohibits incentive bonuses or pay for such, so why should it matter how much money that sports brings in; unless that is being considered incentive pay. Also, I always wonder why the football coach who coaches only 10 games  (barring playoffs) gets paid a lot more that other coaches who coach thirty plus games a year. Unless, you're looking at the money the sport brings in, which again, shouldn't be considered by UIL standards.

Wow, very interesting!  Welch, Huckabay and Jost gone.  Those are the 3 that Orangefield's school board wanted to get rid of.  Let me make a prediction that Smalley will be the new AD/football coach.  Heard he was the one that the school board wanted to hire MONTHS ago.  Orangefield community better wake up before their school district falls apart!

Feel free to run.  There will be 4 spots up for re-election.  Put in all those hours up there with people criticizing the decisions you help make without any pay.  They try to put every student or athlete's interest in mind.  Each one of those employees of the district had issues that went far beyond the school board.  I am sure that if you would ask outside of your own little circle, you would find these issues.  None of which need to be brought up on this board.

Oh, and by the way.  The board voted against the grievance brougth against Coach Jost just a few months ago.  I don't know how you get they were running him out of here.  They approved his contract and voted in favor of him in the hearing.  Sounds like they wanted to keep him.  Maybe somebody else wanted him gone.  Besides, Marble Falls is a step up.  4A job in the hill country.

[quote name="catfever" post="1225311" timestamp="1337782913"]
It will be posted, but I have heard that they are wanting to move quick.  There will probably be some in house candidates.  Not sure who will be on the hiring committee since they currently don't have a superintendent.  It will be interesting.  I am sure whoever they get will instill discipline, work ethic, and teach all those things that Coach Huck taught.  He isn't the only one out there that can teach that.  He did a great job at winning at football, [color=red]but their numbers were way down.  They only had two teams the past two years.  Maybe some of those kids that walk to hallways will come out and play now. [/color]  Talking to some friends, I know that there is a new excitement among the staff and kids.  The next few weeks should be interesting.  Who do you guys think should get it.
[/quote]

I am sick and tired of hearing the numbers are down. How many times am I going to have to post this? Lets see the numbers are down in football, track, girls basketball but the numbers are good in volleyball, tennis, golf, softball and baseball. Lets see you sweat a lot and have to run plus push your body to the limit in the sports that are down. Then you have the sports where the numbers are up, don't sweat very much, little or no running except around the bases. Hey they can eat more twinkie's and junk food in the sports that the numbers are up, not as much torture to the body. They can recoup before game day. That excitement will not last long, the numbers will be down again, they will want to run the next guy off and nothing will change. Some kids have it some don't,  plain and simple.  Its all about the drive and love for the sport. Either you have it or you don't and "NO" coach can make you lose that only the individual person themself.

Guest incognito123
With Coach Huck moving back to Hull Daisetta where his wife serves at superintendent, what are the chances that he ends up on Coach Finney's staff for this upcoming season.  That would be great!  Orangefields loss could become HD's gain.  I'm sure
Coach Finney would like to be able to learn from an old vet like Coach Huck!  The Wing T would look good on the Cats

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1227439" timestamp="1338437968"]
[quote author=catfever link=topic=100135.msg1225311#msg1225311 date=1337782913]
It will be posted, but I have heard that they are wanting to move quick.  There will probably be some in house candidates.  Not sure who will be on the hiring committee since they currently don't have a superintendent.  It will be interesting.  I am sure whoever they get will instill discipline, work ethic, and teach all those things that Coach Huck taught.  He isn't the only one out there that can teach that.  He did a great job at winning at football, [color=red]but their numbers were way down.  They only had two teams the past two years.  Maybe some of those kids that walk to hallways will come out and play now. [/color]  Talking to some friends, I know that there is a new excitement among the staff and kids.  The next few weeks should be interesting.  Who do you guys think should get it.
[/quote]

I am sick and tired of hearing the numbers are down. How many times am I going to have to post this? Lets see the numbers are down in football, track, girls basketball but the numbers are good in volleyball, tennis, golf, softball and baseball. Lets see you sweat a lot and have to run plus push your body to the limit in the sports that are down. Then you have the sports where the numbers are up, don't sweat very much, little or no running except around the bases. Hey they can eat more twinkie's and junk food in the sports that the numbers are up, not as much torture to the body. They can recoup before game day. That excitement will not last long, the numbers will be down again, they will want to run the next guy off and nothing will change. Some kids have it some don't,  plain and simple.  Its all about the drive and love for the sport. Either you have it or you don't and "NO" coach can make you lose that only the individual person themself.
[/quote]

I have "no dog in this fight" but, Riding Solo, your rebuttal was very incisive.  Your points were well made. 8)

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1227439" timestamp="1338437968"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Dem boys jus' need to toughen up, suck it up and play football.  Ery'one knows boys that don't play football's jus' a bunch of girly-boy sissies. 

Strange, but I don't remember seeing my son popping twinkies and junk food into his mouth in the middle of the summer when he is busting his butt working on baseball and the other sissy-boy sports that you seem to have such contempt for. 

I couldn't have put it any better than you stumbled upon at the end of your post - "It's all about the drive and love for the sport."  If a kid doesn't have a drive and love for football, why should he play? 

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1227496" timestamp="1338475998"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=100135.msg1227439#msg1227439 date=1338437968]
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Dem boys jus' need to toughen up, suck it up and play football.  Ery'one knows boys that don't play football's jus' a bunch of girly-boy sissies. 

Strange, but I don't remember seeing my son popping twinkies and junk food into his mouth in the middle of the summer when he is busting his butt working on baseball and the other sissy-boy sports that you seem to have such contempt for. 

I couldn't have put it any better than you stumbled upon at the end of your post - "It's all about the drive and love for the sport."  If a kid doesn't have a drive and love for football, why should he play?
[/quote]

That is actually fine with me if a kid has drive and love for another sport other than football. My son did not play football, maybe I went a little far with the twinkie comment but my point is the numbers are not down because of the coach. They want Huck out of Orangefield because the numbers are down. They will be down with or without Huck. That's my point!!!!!!

[quote name="catfever" post="1227095" timestamp="1338381419"]
Feel free to run.  There will be 4 spots up for re-election.  Put in all those hours up there with people criticizing the decisions you help make without any pay.  They try to put every student or athlete's interest in mind.  Each one of those employees of the district had issues that went far beyond the school board.  I am sure that if you would ask outside of your own little circle, you would find these issues.  None of which need to be brought up on this board.
[/quote]

I agree they do put in hours for free but you are preaching to the choir. I can assure you that the booster clubs put in way more hours than the school board does. Now I agree the schoolboard is less rewarding, has to make decisions that are not easy and unappreciated at times but if you want me to feel sorry for them you are sadly mistaken. Most do put every kids interest in mind but not all. Politics have been around for a long time. Oh by the way not bitter about politics because it would not have mattered. Take over the booster club and you will see what I am talking about. By the way booster club members are unappreciated too, just not by the kids.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1227743" timestamp="1338514630"]
I disagree with lumping tennis in with sports you don't have to be that fit to play. Tennis has the some of the most fit players of all sports. Those guys that play professional tennis are some of the fittest athletes on earth.
[/quote]

I agree aggie, all athlete's have to be fit even tennis players. LOL!!! But we are not talking about professional athletes are we.

Tennis is one of the fastest growing sports in the nation! It's a lifetime sport (a sport that a person can play in a lifetime)! Anyone can play tennis! There should be schools in Southeast Texas that have a "no-cut" tennis program which means any student can and will not be denied a spot on the team although not everyone will earn a spot on the varsity! I hope an AD/head football coach could come in and hopefully increase not only participation in football but every sport as well! He should have an athletic program not only successful in winning and recruiting and retaining quality student-athletes, but successful in academics as well! Look at Coach Cris Stump at BC for example, he put Cardinal athletics on the map! He even started a soccer program! He had plenty of student-athletes earn academic all-district! I believe Coach Josh Smalley is the right person for the job! I've known him very well! He can put OHS athletics back in the map!

This thread seems to have gotten away from the point of "Who is the next person for the job?"....I think 90% of high school athletic supporters want to see AD's that boost numbers in all sports...No one wants the old mentality of AD guy only pushing football and not supporting other athletic  sports....Only a couple of names have been  mentioned on this thread, and I would fully support Coach Latiolais getting a shot at building a full athletic program...Who else has even applied for this job???

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1227496" timestamp="1338475998"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=100135.msg1227439#msg1227439 date=1338437968]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=red]Strange, but I don't remember seeing my son popping twinkies and junk food into his mouth in the middle of the summer when he is busting his butt working on baseball and the other sissy-boy sports that you seem to have such contempt for. [/color] 

[/quote]

Well lets see,  if your son was lifting weights and running for conditioning then yes he is working his butt off. But if he was in the batting cage standing in one place or catching grounders where you move maybe 10 feet both ways or running maybe 20 yards to catch a fly ball then it will take a long time to work his butt off that way. ;D ;D

Don't get me wrong, I applaud him for honing in on his skills for the sport he loves. But there is a difference in bodywork when it comes to football/track vs baseball. There is no comparison, not even close. Never said the other sports were "Sissy" sports. The numbers are down in football for one reason and it is not the "COACH" Plain and simple. Its the twinkies and dingdongs. ;D ;D ;D JK!!!!!!!!!

If the numbers aren't down because of a coach, then why did my son tell me that 10-15 new kids were getting into football before we even have a new head coach.  These are kids who played a few years ago, but got out.  I guess they think the next coach will make it easy.

So I guess working on individual skills is pointless.  Such as catching grounders, hitting in a cage, shooting free throws, dribbling drills.  All the things that you must have in order to be good at a sport.  Because it doesn't fit into your little categories, then the kids who practice them aren't working.  You have to have all of it in order to be good.  You have to work on speed, strength, and all those individual skills that you don't work your butt off doing.  Broaden your horizon.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder