1. 1. Do you agree with th hire?

• YES
    • NO
    • WHO CARES

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is so obvious that this guy will be in & out of Anahuac within 4 years, once again our district acts as a spring board to bigger jobs. They had two choices that would have put down roots and been here a through good times and bad and  stay and build program. Im sure that Coach Murr is a good coach and will do a fine job but the community had made it clear that they wanted stability, Barnhart and the board new they were not acting with the communities interest in mind because I was told that they were so proud of thier decision that they felt the need to keep his name quite and sneak him in the back door (litrerally) under the cloak of darkness to rubber stamp his hiring.

If Barnyard cant control them then she removes them... thats why they have lost a great head coach and two assistant that are now coordinators at different schools and they just lost a good young coach in George Taylor.

I thought in life you reward people for working hard and doing a good job. 

You must be a puppet to work in Anahuac!

8888 you obviously do not know Marty Murr or his intentions so saying he is going to srpingboard to a bigger job is a bit premature.  I can tell you this, he is a devoted family man, community oriented and the kids will love him- and he has quite the 6th grade athlete coming up next year- so that is at least 6 years.  Before accusations fly, get to know this man and you will be very proud that Anahuac made this hire.  I guarantee you are winning playoff games with Coach Murr.

[quote name="8888" post="1223632" timestamp="1337347650"]
it is so obvious that this guy will be in & out of Anahuac within 4 years, once again our district acts as a spring board to bigger jobs. They had two choices that would have put down roots and been here a through good times and bad and  stay and build program. Im sure that Coach Murr is a good coach and will do a fine job but the community had made it clear that they wanted stability, Barnhart and the board new they were not acting with the communities interest in mind because I was told that they were so proud of thier decision that they felt the need to keep his name quite and sneak him in the back door (litrerally) under the cloak of darkness to rubber stamp his hiring.
[/quote]

No actually, this is a guy who was at Crosby mainly because he and his family wanted to move closer to home (remember he is a Sterling graduate).  Before coming to Crosby, he spent 11 years at Alto, seven of those laboring as an assistant there.  he was once head of the one of the better lower classification football programs in the state.  If he was looking for a stepping stone job, with all due respect to the folks in Chambers County, his aim would have been a bit higher than Anahuac, Texas.

This is a guy who is a winning coach as a head coach who is near home.  He will probably stay there a while.....if y'all don't chase him off.

Im sure that Coach Murr is a good coach and will do a fine job but the community had made it clear that they wanted stability, Barnhart and the board new they were not acting with the communities interest in mind because I was told that they were so proud of thier decision that they felt the need to keep his name quite and sneak him in the back door (litrerally) under the cloak of darkness to rubber stamp his hiring.
[/quote]

i didnt say he wouldn't do a good job, i said he would not stay long and that our community wants stability!!!!!!! 4 years or even 6 years does not fit my description of long term or stability. we were looking for 20 or 30 years. winning playoff games is great, we have won playoff games with other coaches. i'll say it again, i am sure he will do a  good job, but mark my words, he will be gone as soon as some of that success juices up his resume and someone bigger comes knocking on the door. I hope he proves me wrong but only time will tell. So let me make myself clear, I don't harbor any ill feelings toward Coach Murr or his staff. I have no doubt that he will do a good job, and I want him to do well. I just think that the community wanted someone who would be here looooong term!!!! and the other point I wanted to make is that the Super. and the board obviously knew that they were not doing what the community wanted, proven by the cloak and dager tactics they used.

[quote name="hawgtuff" post="1223672" timestamp="1337352035"]
If Barnyard cant control them then she removes them... thats why they have lost a great head coach and two assistant that are now coordinators at different schools and they just lost a good young coach in George Taylor.

[/quote]

Coach Barbay wasn't removed.  He resigned after interviewing and taking the job at Jasper in order to be a able to keep a close eye on his mother (after all, she was widowed last year).

Starkly, ironic that your new coach left a successful program (I would classify a .708 winning percentage as successful, wouldn't you) to relocate to this area, also to be closer to family.  You've got a guy who is coaching in this area because it is home to him.

I read an article last night shortly after hearing about Coach Murr's hiring that gives a lot of insight into the man, Marty Murr:

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth152682/m1/6/

After reading this article, if I am an Anahuac Panther fan, I am liking what I am getting.

Look, we all have our favorites that would have like to have seen.  Heck, if I would have had my way, I'd be toasting my buddy Toby Foreman as the new coach.  And I am sure that there are some that would be doing the same for Rusty Cauthern, Dave Westfall, David Martel, George Taylor, Jason Speights or Brandon Craus.  I have dealt, with varying degrees, all of these guys and if the Anahuac ISD would have selected any one of them, the Panther community would have been lucky to have them.  They are are great coaches and good men and those in this list who are not already head coaches probably will be in the next 2-4 years.

But the same certainly goes for Coach Murr, a guy with HC/AD experience (at a pretty high level mind you) who is in this area for the specific reason to be near his roots.  I don't see how the Anahuac community would be displeased with that.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1223713" timestamp="1337355667"]
[quote author=hawgtuff link=topic=99034.msg1223672#msg1223672 date=1337352035]

[/quote]

Coach Barbay wasn't removed.  He resigned after interviewing and taking the job at Jasper in order to be a able to keep a close eye on his mother (after all, she was widowed last year).

Starkly, ironic that your new coach left a successful program (I would classify a .708 winning percentage as successful, wouldn't you) to relocate to this area, also to be closer to family.  You've got a guy who is coaching in this area because it is home to him.

I read an article last night shortly after hearing about Coach Murr's hiring that gives a lot of insight into the man, Marty Murr:

After reading this article, if I am an Anahuac Panther fan, I am liking what I am getting.

Look, we all have our favorites that would have like to have seen.  Heck, if I would have had my way, I'd be toasting my buddy Toby Foreman as the new coach.  And I am sure that there are some that would be doing the same for Rusty Cauthern, Dave Westfall, David Martel, George Taylor, Jason Speights or Brandon Craus.  I have dealt, with varying degrees, all of these guys and if the Anahuac ISD would have selected any one of them, the Panther community would have been lucky to have them.  They are are great coaches and good men and those in this list who are not already head coaches probably will be in the next 2-4 years.

But the same certainly goes for Coach Murr, a guy with HC/AD experience (at a pretty high level mind you) who is in this area for the specific reason to be near his roots.  I don't see how the Anahuac community would be displeased with that.
[/quote]
I never said Barbay was removed.  All I am saying is admin made it hard for him to stay.  He lost to good coaches and could not replace them. Barbay turned Anahuac around.  It takes a special kind of coach to win in Anahuac. Murr might be a great guy and a even better football guy but does he have the mind set to coach in Anahuac.

[quote name="hawgtuff" post="1223719" timestamp="1337356033"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=99034.msg1223713#msg1223713 date=1337355667]
[quote author=hawgtuff link=topic=99034.msg1223672#msg1223672 date=1337352035]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I never said Barbay was removed.  All I am saying is admin made it hard for him to stay.  He lost to good coaches and could not replace them. Barbay turned Anahuac around.  It takes a special kind of coach to win in Anahuac. Murr might be a great guy and a even better football guy but does he have the mind set to coach in Anahuac.
[/quote]

You know, a good friend told me that there would be griping when I pointed out the vast number of great candidates that Anahuac had to choose from. 

Mindset to coach in Anahuac?  Forgive me, but you are gonna have to clue me in on what kind of mindset is required to coach in Anahuac as opposed to elsewhere.

All coaching jobs are different....Ex Dick Olin great at Lee terrible at Lewisville and the list goes on and on. A person from a 5 A district that has not work in a Title I school then they could not work there.  A mindset, I guess you must think that all coaches could win anywhere.  Take Jerry Stewart he had head jobs but finally got the right combination in Dayton.

No, I don't think that all coaches can win anywhere.  And I can't "guarantee" that Coach Murr will be able to replicate the success that Coach Barbay had at Anahuac.  By the same token, you can't guarantee that any of the candidates that he beat out would be able to replicate it, either.

But this is a guy who has coached, successfully, at a school which has an ADA of about 50 students lower than Anahuac.  This is also a guy who is coaching in the general area that he considers home.

All I am saying is give the guy a chance, you say that you will do that when challenged.  But coming out and inferring that someone doesn't have the "mindset" to coach somewhere leaves me doubtful.

[/quote]
I didn't know that the community got a say in the hiring of a new AD.

[quote name="forum" post="1223775" timestamp="1337360597"]
[quote author=8888 link=topic=99034.msg1223632#msg1223632 date=1337347650]
[/quote]
[/quote]
They kind of do, they elect the officials that are supposed to be listening to the community and do the right thing. Its a shame that board members dont listen to the community. When we say community i assume we are talking about an entire school district but when it comes to these kinds of decisions you only have the 30 or so people that have kids involved turn out to voice their opinion. The boards say "community" but to me thats a cop-out because the 99% of the community that do not have kids involved at that time just dont care enough to voice their opinion. Thats where parents like us get bit and dont have a leg to stand on.

[quote name="GunsBaseball" post="1223820" timestamp="1337365784"]
[quote author=forum link=topic=99034.msg1223775#msg1223775 date=1337360597]
[quote author=8888 link=topic=99034.msg1223632#msg1223632 date=1337347650]
[/quote]
[/quote]
They kind of do, they elect the officials that are supposed to be listening to the community and do the right thing. Its a shame that board members dont listen to the community. When we say community i assume we are talking about an entire school district but when it comes to these kinds of decisions you only have the 30 or so people that have kids involved turn out to voice their opinion. The boards say "community" but to me thats a cop-out because the 99% of the community that do not have kids involved at that time just dont care enough to voice their opinion. Thats where parents like us get bit and dont have a leg to stand on.
[/quote]

Let me inquire of this then.  How did the board of trustees of the Anahuac ISD "not listen" to the community by naming Coach Murr as their new head coach/athletic director.

I doesnt appear that coach Murr is bieng "bashed", it is Barnhart and the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I , for one , will support coach Murr completly even though I wanted someone that was home grown, worked his ass off for 7 years (IN ANAHUAC) to prepare for the job, who holds a masters degree, and PLANNED to be a part of the community for his entire career.  And I think the community will rally behind coach Murr as eventually, its just not what we wanted and only time will tell if he stays long term, and builds a good program.  Here's hoping ..........................

[quote name="8888" post="1223880" timestamp="1337372723"]
I doesnt appear that coach Murr is bieng "bashed", it is Barnhart and the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I , for one , will support coach Murr completly even though I wanted someone that was home grown, worked his butt off for 7 years (IN ANAHUAC) to prepare for the job, who holds a masters degree, and PLANNED to be a part of the community for his entire career.  And I think the community will rally behind coach Murr as eventually, its just not what we wanted and only time will tell if he stays long term, and builds a good program.  Here's hoping ..........................

[/quote]

Boy!  With that sound endorsement, how could Coach Murr help but not get all tingly inside?! ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1223888" timestamp="1337374985"]
[quote author=8888 link=topic=99034.msg1223880#msg1223880 date=1337372723]
I , for one , will support coach Murr completly even though I wanted someone that was home grown, worked his butt off for 7 years (IN ANAHUAC) to prepare for the job, who holds a masters degree, and PLANNED to be a part of the community for his entire career.  And I think the community will rally behind coach Murr as eventually, its just not what we wanted and only time will tell if he stays long term, and builds a good program.  Here's hoping ..........................

[/quote]

Boy!  With that sound endorsement, how could Coach Murr help but not get all tingly inside?! ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]
and im sure that he is all tingly inside knowing someone who obviously spends an enourmous amount of his time "administrating an online forum" has his back. You are attempting to make my comments into something they are not meant to imply. No offense to the people who use this platform to speak thier mind but you got what 28000 + posts on here (get a freakin life), I would think the new coach would rather have the "sound" support of just about anyone other than a gossip guru. Which resembles your comment about him picking someplace other than Anahuac, Tx be beef up his resume.

Guest incognito123
[quote name="8888" post="1223890" timestamp="1337376876"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=99034.msg1223888#msg1223888 date=1337374985]

[/quote]

[/quote]
and im sure that he is all tingly inside knowing someone who obviously spends an enourmous amount of his time "administrating an online forum" has his back. You are attempting to make my comments into something they are not meant to imply. No offense to the people who use this platform to speak thier mind but you got what 28000 + posts on here (get a freakin life), I would think the new coach would rather have the "sound" support of just about anyone other than a gossip guru. Which resembles your comment about him picking someplace other than Anahuac, Tx be beef up his resume.

[/quote]

Speaking from experience....This guy probably won't be heard from for a while.  Anytime you take on the law....the law always wins.  With that being said, I agree with WOSgrad.

I find it funny reading all of these comments about the Anahuac Community's interest in this hiring.  Having spent a bunch of time at Anahuac games over the past few years, here is what I can tell you about their support of the football program.  IT STINKS!  You guys have had some good teams and GREAT athletes come through there over the last several years.  I've seen the stands full for a home game until after halftime and then seen them clear out before the third quarter starts.  The explanation I got..."Oh, most people just come to see the award winning band, then they leave."  I was in Winnie two years ago (I think), when Anahuac lost 13-12 on a blocked extra point.  After the game, I watched a man verbally attack someone, who he thought was Coach Barbay's wife, about play calling and how much her husband sucked.  15 or 20 other people were gathered in the stands cheering him on as he wore her out!  Turned out, it was another coaches wife.  The worst part of that story is that no one stepped in to intervene.  NO ONE.  Many just ducked their heads and got out of there as quickly as they could.  Finally myself and a Chambers county sheriff forced the guy to leave.  He was later arrested for continuing to get mouthy with people in the parking lot.  You guys do not have the right to have your voice heard until it is proven that you will support the boys and the coaches day in and day out.  I wish Coach Murr much luck.  He is going to need it in that community.

[quote name="incognito123" post="1223967" timestamp="1337390121"]
[quote author=8888 link=topic=99034.msg1223890#msg1223890 date=1337376876]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=99034.msg1223888#msg1223888 date=1337374985]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Speaking from experience....This guy probably won't be heard from for a while.  Anytime you take on the law....the law always wins.  With that being said, I agree with WOSgrad.

I find it funny reading all of these comments about the Anahuac Community's interest in this hiring.  Having spent a bunch of time at Anahuac games over the past few years, here is what I can tell you about their support of the football program.  IT STINKS!  You guys have had some good teams and GREAT athletes come through there over the last several years.  I've seen the stands full for a home game until after halftime and then seen them clear out before the third quarter starts.  The explanation I got..."Oh, most people just come to see the award winning band, then they leave."  I was in Winnie two years ago (I think), when Anahuac lost 13-12 on a blocked extra point.  After the game, I watched a man verbally attack someone, who he thought was Coach Barbay's wife, about play calling and how much her husband sucked.  15 or 20 other people were gathered in the stands cheering him on as he wore her out!  Turned out, it was another coaches wife.  The worst part of that story is that no one stepped in to intervene.  NO ONE.  Many just ducked their heads and got out of there as quickly as they could.  Finally myself and a Chambers county sheriff forced the guy to leave.  He was later arrested for continuing to get mouthy with people in the parking lot.  You guys do not have the right to have your voice heard until it is proven that you will support the boys and the coaches day in and day out.  I wish Coach Murr much luck.  He is going to need it in that community.
[/quote]

The athletic program historically has rarely had any support.  I have seen it over the last 20 years.  If the town wants to take a step in the right direction, they need to do away with the superintendent and find one that supports the athletic program as a whole.  It is disappointing as a native of the town to see Anahuac not succeed consistently.  Incognito123 is correct when he said that there is not a lot of community support.  Most people have the youth football coach/armchair quarterback mentality where they believe they can do a better job.  Also, there are many external factors outside the school system as a whole that do not breed success for the youth of Anahuac.  IT IS A DIFFICULT PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder