Prudhomme to sign with McLennan

[quote name="Coach D" post="1208881" timestamp="1334104260"]
[quote]I wonder if Stevenash is still giving 3-1 odds on Prudhomme getting a DI scholarship?

I know that he could still "wind up" at a DI, but it will have to be after 1-2 years at a JUCO.

I guess we need Steve to clarify if he meant that his bet was for Shawn to get the DI scholly out of high school and not juco.[/quote]

One would think an "insider" like yourself would know a lot more about this situation....
[/quote]

and one would think the father of the coach of this player would know more about the situation before laying 3-1 odds that this player was going straight to DI out of high school. ;)

My post was just to simply throw egg in the face of Nash. There is no hidden agenda in regards to Shawn. I am very happy for him and would be even happier had he been able to sign a DI scholarship out of high school. I firmly believe that he will get that DI scholly eventually. Nothing wrong with taking the JUCO route.

Shawn will do well at the next level and it is a testament to his skill, work ethic and the coaching he has received.

Guest Coach D
his odds were spot on and he knew enough about the situation to lay the odds...not every situation can be read at face value...a lesson that some "insiders" have to learn the hard way

[quote name="Coach D" post="1208947" timestamp="1334108250"]
true blue,

i can assure you shawn's situation is very different than the others...he is a qualifier
[/quote]What do you mean by Qualifier?? I think that DC had as good of a game as any kid that has came from this area. But Shawn can play with the best of them and hold his own. I was just hoping to see him get the chance to show that kids from small schools can make it on a D1 team....

Congrats to Shawn on the signing. As far as all the other questions about the JUCO route the situation is different with every player. The skill set to play D1 ball isn't always polished by position in high school ball. The competition for these D1 spots is unreal. Shawn has all the tools and with the work ethic he has I could see him developing his 15-18 foot shot and becoming a 3 at a D1 school.

Congrats to Shawne. This is a great place for him to go and improve his game more, especially outside shooting.  Some people in this area need to start understanding just how much it takes to go D1 straight out of high school. Shawne will probably go D1 after 2 years like what Jamar Gulley did.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1208936" timestamp="1334107491"]
[quote author=Coach D link=topic=98745.msg1208881#msg1208881 date=1334104260]
[quote]I wonder if Stevenash is still giving 3-1 odds on Prudhomme getting a DI scholarship?

I know that he could still "wind up" at a DI, but it will have to be after 1-2 years at a JUCO.

I guess we need Steve to clarify if he meant that his bet was for Shawn to get the DI scholly out of high school and not juco.[/quote]

One would think an "insider" like yourself would know a lot more about this situation....
[/quote]

and one would think the father of the coach of this player would know more about the situation before laying 3-1 odds that this player was going straight to DI out of high school. ;)

My post was just to simply throw egg in the face of Nash. There is no hidden agenda in regards to Shawn. I am very happy for him and would be even happier had he been able to sign a DI scholarship out of high school. I firmly believe that he will get that DI scholly eventually. Nothing wrong with taking the JUCO route.

Shawn will do well at the next level and it is a testament to his skill, work ethic and the coaching he has received.
[/quote]

It's interesting that "those who knew better" did not take advantage of my 3 to 1 odds offer, especially those who consider themselves professional gamblers.  But, then again, perhaps my offer, at the time, was not as tempting as it is in retrospect. 

[img]http://theprudentindian.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/egg-on-face1.jpg?w=450[/img]

Although, my statement is totally an insinuation, it can be assumed that with Nash having inside information, as pointed out by many, his guarantee was justified. I was told by many close to the subject that a D1 was coming but things suddenly changed.  "Things happen for a reason and you have to make the best of it and I am quite sure Shawn will be a nice fit in Waco".  As in most cases there is more to this story than meets the publics eye and I am sure Nash will keep this information to himself. My beef was in the past a certain person has made several derogatory comment towards HJISD athletic program without recourse or remorse.  Also that same person on numerous occasions has instructed folks to stay on subject on past threads. A solid administrator in any business should lead by good example not by their on set of rules. Yes, I know not everyone is perfect but letting folks know your efforts are humble goes a long way. Just because a Policeman has the authority to uphold the laws it doesn't give him the right to take something out of your garage.  If rules or bylaws are established EVERYONE should be expected to follow them.  I know this is an 18 or above site but the HS athletes do read this material and I am sure many of them have been offended by the context.  Remember the Golden Rule" do unto others as you would have done to yourself"! 

What I would like to see from the conversation /topic is an awareness and opportunity for future seniors to know what it takes to reach their dreams to become student-athletes beyond their high school playing days. It might take a player making a list of their top ten (realistic) college choices and knowing where to turn to for advice in order to get that opportunity.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1209087" timestamp="1334151075"]
I chose not to take you up on your bet because I did not want to bet against this young man's future. Just didn't think it was right.

Had I taken the bet it would look like I would have a rooting interest against Shawn's success and that simply isn't the case.
[/quote] I tried to find were I had said pretty much the samething about a month ago. I would have loved to take Steves money, and though I had a better than 50% chance of it, But I would never want to bet against any kid from this area of making it .

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="LP6" post="1208665" timestamp="1334086291"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=98745.msg1208415#msg1208415 date=1334064707]
I wonder if Stevenash is still giving 3-1 odds on Prudhomme getting a DI scholarship?

I guess we need Steve to clarify if he meant that his bet was for Shawn to get the DI scholly out of high school and not juco.
[/quote]
I may be wrong, but that kind of seemed like an " I told you so " post, which wouldn't be very nice considering how hard the young man worked to get where he is, and now people are saying its JUCO not D-1, so what? He's getting an education and doing what he loves, congrats.
[/quote]

Bottom line is Shawn is going to continue his education and pursue the sport he plays.
Some can do a lot of things, but they can't take your education away from you.
Congrats Shawn on your accomplishment.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1209104" timestamp="1334153144"]
What I would like to see from the conversation /topic is an awareness and opportunity for future seniors to know what it takes to reach their dreams to become student-athletes beyond their high school playing days. It might take a player making a list of their top ten (realistic) college choices and knowing where to turn to for advice in order to get that opportunity.
[/quote]

Great post and I have some pertinent information concerning this matter.
First and foremost potential collegiate athletes must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse: http://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/common/

Student/athletes need to understand that academics are as important as their athletic abilities.  Most if not all colleges use a [b]Sliding Scale[/b] for admission purposes.  This involves your SAT/ACT scores combined with your overall GPA. It is very important to keep your GPA up because it will either be helpful or a hindrance towards your admittance. Also your High School TEKS results can effect the type of classes you have to take your freshman year.  By the way, there is several SAT/ACT prep courses available, they can be extremely beneficial.

For the most part colleges are relying on Summer Camps and Combines to help with their recruiting process. Because of the cost of these camps it is extremely important to choose the appropriate camp which is relevant to your abilities.  Get your coach involved on this matter. 

Camps are not absolute,therefore, gather some game film and send them to various colleges.  I would advise against Highlight Films because most coaches want to see an entire game not bits and pieces of your best moments.

Useful Resources in no particular order:
1. Athletic Director
2. Head Coach of your desired sport
3. Parent or Guardians
4. School Counselor
5. Mentors

Don't give up on your dreams if your desires do not go according to plan.  Any opportunity is better than none.  The most important thing to remember if you are getting a chance to further your education, expense free, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. 

Let me reassure everyone, trying to get an athlete eligible to play at the next level is no easy task for all involved.  Most importantly, it is the kid that holds all the cards and ultimately they control their own destiny. 

• 1 month later...
[quote name="lamar73!" post="1209222" timestamp="1334165259"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98745.msg1209104#msg1209104 date=1334153144]
[/quote]

Great post and I have some pertinent information concerning this matter.
First and foremost potential collegiate athletes must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse: http://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/common/

Student/athletes need to understand that academics are as important as their athletic abilities.  Most if not all colleges use a [b]Sliding Scale[/b] for admission purposes.  This involves your SAT/ACT scores combined with your overall GPA. It is very important to keep your GPA up because it will either be helpful or a hindrance towards your admittance. Also your High School TEKS results can effect the type of classes you have to take your freshman year.  By the way, there is several SAT/ACT prep courses available, they can be extremely beneficial.

For the most part colleges are relying on Summer Camps and Combines to help with their recruiting process. Because of the cost of these camps it is extremely important to choose the appropriate camp which is relevant to your abilities.  Get your coach involved on this matter. 

Camps are not absolute,therefore, gather some game film and send them to various colleges.  I would advise against Highlight Films because most coaches want to see an entire game not bits and pieces of your best moments.

Useful Resources in no particular order:
1. Athletic Director
2. Head Coach of your desired sport
3. Parent or Guardians
4. School Counselor
5. Mentors

Don't give up on your dreams if your desires do not go according to plan.  Any opportunity is better than none.  The most important thing to remember if you are getting a chance to further your education, expense free, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. 

Let me reassure everyone, trying to get an athlete eligible to play at the next level is no easy task for all involved.  Most importantly, it is the kid that holds all the cards and ultimately they control their own destiny.
[/quote]
NCAA website has changed:  http://web1.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.jsp

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiiiiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiiiiaa