Houston Yates to be 3A baseball power??

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tamulonghorn
Houston's basketball profile on the rise
Once a football-only town, Houston has grown into one of America's top basketball cities, writes Christopher Lawlor.
Originally Published: July 17, 2008
By Christopher Lawlor | ESPN.com
EMAIL
PRINT
HOUSTON -- John Lucas was born, raised and played basketball in the heart of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Durham, N.C. native was an All-American guard at the University of Maryland before getting selected by the Houston Rockets in the first round of the 1976 draft.

When he arrived in Texas, he found a faceless basketball community.

[b]"It was a football town," said Lucas, who had three stints with the Rockets, including the 1985-86 season when they lost to the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. "Moses Malone and I came here the same year and couldn't believe it."

Basketball took a backseat.[/b]

[quote name="tamulonghorn" post="1203579" timestamp="1333037929"]
Houston's basketball profile on the rise
Once a football-only town, Houston has grown into one of America's top basketball cities, writes Christopher Lawlor.
Originally Published: July 17, 2008
By Christopher Lawlor | ESPN.com
EMAIL
PRINT
HOUSTON -- John Lucas was born, raised and played basketball in the heart of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Durham, N.C. native was an All-American guard at the University of Maryland before getting selected by the Houston Rockets in the first round of the 1976 draft.

When he arrived in Texas, he found a faceless basketball community.

[b]"It was a football town," said Lucas, who had three stints with the Rockets, including the 1985-86 season when they lost to the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. "Moses Malone and I came here the same year and couldn't believe it."

Basketball took a backseat.[/b]

[/quote]

The keyword here is [b]WAS[/b]....Besides, back in 85-86, John Lucas was so high, he would have thought it was a Hockey town when he arrived!!! 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1203653" timestamp="1333046385"]
I believe we were talking about on the ameteur level...However the Rockets have more titles than both of the other Houston pro sports teams combined... ;)
[/quote]

We can talk amatuer level.  Does KPRC Channel 2 have a "Friday Night Basketball Frenzy" Show?  Do Houston area TV stations regularly schedule regular season high school basketball games?

Yes. They do have a Friday Night Football Frenzy and at least 2 stations regularly schedule high school football games!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1203670" timestamp="1333048650"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203653#msg1203653 date=1333046385]
I believe we were talking about on the ameteur level...However the Rockets have more titles than both of the other Houston pro sports teams combined... ;)
[/quote]

We can talk amatuer level.  Does KPRC Channel 2 have a "Friday Night Basketball Frenzy" Show?  Do Houston area TV stations regularly schedule regular season high school basketball games?

Yes. They do have a Friday Night Football Frenzy and at least 2 stations regularly schedule high school football games!
[/quote]
I have said this before...If it were not for bands, cheerleaders, and drill team parents, football games in Houston would be practically empty...This is excluding the suburban areas (Katy, Galena Park, etc.)..I am talking HISD specifically.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1203672" timestamp="1333048823"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=98197.msg1203670#msg1203670 date=1333048650]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203653#msg1203653 date=1333046385]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have said this before...If it were not for bands, cheerleaders, and drill team parents, football games in Houston would be practically empty...This is excluding the suburban areas (Katy, Galena Park, etc.)..I am talking HISD specifically.
[/quote]

Sorry to inform you, but Houston isn't just HISD.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1203678" timestamp="1333049510"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203672#msg1203672 date=1333048823]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You don't have to "inform" me of anything, I am well aware of that....I was clarifying my statement as to what I was referring to...which is why I EXCLUDED the suburban area schools... ::)..SHOULD have been obvious...

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1203697" timestamp="1333050371"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=98197.msg1203678#msg1203678 date=1333049510]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203672#msg1203672 date=1333048823]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You don't have to "inform" me of anything, I am well aware of that....I was clarifying my statement as to what I was referring to...which is why I EXCLUDED the suburban area schools... ::)..SHOULD have been obvious...
[/quote]

Then, if you are talking about a part of Houston, you can hardly use it as representative of the entire city, right?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1203727" timestamp="1333053325"]
HISD encompasses MOST of the entire city of Houston....HOUSTON...

Not Katy,[/quote]

Ummm, actually the west part of Houston makes up a good part of the Katy ISD.  In fact, one of their high schools, is in the Houston City Limits.

[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203727#msg1203727 date=1333053325]Fort Bend[/quote]

Some parts of Houston go to FBISD, but not enough...so you get that one

[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=98197.msg1203727#msg1203727 date=1333053325]Kingwood[/quote]

Yep, they are in Houston.  They were annexed in 1996....NASTY FIGHT...but the folks in Kingwood are indeed, Houstonians.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1203873" timestamp="1333073939"]
Well lets see.. Its baseball season and Chronicle has article on 2015 basketball players to watch in the nation & McDonald All Star game. Wheres the high school baseball articles??????
[/quote]

They will be there when the baseball all star game(s) are played- and when they are, I doubt there will be any significant basketball articles.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1203873" timestamp="1333073939"]
Well lets see.. Its baseball season and Chronicle has article on 2015 basketball players to watch in the nation & McDonald All Star game. Wheres the high school baseball articles??????
[/quote]

That might have something to do with the fact that no games were played last night.  But here are a few that can tide you over:

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/St-Thomas-gets-district-baseball-win-3439667.php

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/North-Shore-baseball-shuts-out-Channelview-3-0-3431407.php

And then there are the players of the week:

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/High-school-boys-athlete-of-the-week-Logan-Boyd-3433736.php

Oh yeah, there's also this one:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/clearlake-sports/article/Baseball-Pitching-leads-way-for-Chargers-3444255.php

And this one:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/spring-sports/article/Baseball-Westfield-building-for-the-future-3438722.php

And this one:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/cyfair-sports/article/Baseball-Bobcats-see-uphill-battle-3438718.php

When I talk about Houston, I mean the Greater Houston area.  Not just inner city Houston.  It is all Houston to me whether or not they call it so.  It is one big town, you cant tell where one ends and the other begins. 
Football will always be number 1 in Texas and Baseball is 2nd in Houston Area.  I didnt say I liked it, that is just the way it is. 
Has basketball been on the rise in Houston and Texas, yes, over the past 15 years basketball has become much more prevelant.
Once again Dickie dosent know what he talking about.  He lives in his own little bubble reality.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder