OF School Board considering not renewing Huckabay's contract?/CONTRACT RENEWED!!

Went to the board meeting last night, and it seems like the only parents who dont support Huckabay are the ones on the school board whose kids have got in trouble and have been held to the same standards as the rest of our kids.  What a shame it will be if we lose Huck.  What great comments from OF athletes Luke Johnson and Jake Best.  The only parents not happy with Huckabay are the ones who think their kids should not be held accountable for their actions, or the ones who do not think their kids should have to do the same work outs as the football players.  Huckabay has run the program in exactly the same way for 3 years and every thing was fine until last year when the school board members kids got in trouble. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how long you've been in the OF area, but I will say this. Many of the folks that got up and spoke don't have kids in the program.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but here are the facts; I don't remember when our numbers were so low in athletics, and that includes football.  For the first time in forever we had no JV team last year.  Only 22 suited out during Varsity games.  I have 6 kids, 3 of whom have graduated, and 3 that are still there.  Someone is building this hysteria around jumping on a band wagon acting like the school board is on a witch hunt. I would suggest that everyone actually get facts before they make comments.  There are so many issues with your post, that I would almost prefer you contact a school board member, rather than make judgements on some people that I've known all my life. I can tell you that every one of them, in my opinion, whether they support Huck or not, are doing what they feel is best for all of the kids in the district.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1202470" timestamp="1332854000"]
Not sure how long you've been in the OF area, but I will say this. Many of the folks that got up and spoke don't have kids in the program.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but here are the facts; I don't remember when our numbers were so low in athletics, and that includes football.  For the first time in forever we had no JV team last year.  Only 22 suited out during Varsity games.  I have 6 kids, 3 of whom have graduated, and 3 that are still there.  Someone is building this hysteria around jumping on a band wagon acting like the school board is on a witch hunt. I would suggest that everyone actually get facts before they make comments.  There are so many issues with your post, that I would almost prefer you contact a school board member, rather than make judgements on some people that I've known all my life. I can tell you that every one of them, in my opinion, whether they support Huck or not, are doing what they feel is best for all of the kids in the district.
[/quote]

Have spoken to 4 of them and what I put in my post is my opinion.  We did have a JV football team last year I watched them play 3 games.  As far as the numbers of Varsity players we started the year with 26 dressed out and lost some to injury,  that is the same number of kids plus or minus 2 that have suited out for varsity for the last 4 or 5 years.  If the school board thinks getting rid of Huckabay is the best thing for ALL of the kids in the district, they are mistaken in my opinion.

Posieden, you have not spoken to me and if you would like my cell message me and I will gladly give to you.  Since you have no idea what you speak about I will be more than happy to discuss your lack of correct information on your post.  There were only 3 people in a room so I can just wonder where you get your information.

[quote name="SuperChuck" post="1202514" timestamp="1332859707"]
Everyone on the school board loved Coach Huckabay and everything was GREAT until it was their children that got caught. HMM.
[/quote] Thats how it seems to me and to many others. I do know the whole story, the whole truth, unbiased, and it seems that accountability is becoming an issue with parents and athletes alike. He has had the same rules and treated every athlete the same since day 1 no matter what their last name is. If they fire Coach Huck they will be losing a blessing to the kids and the community.

Like with many schools.....Parents need to be parents....Coaches, Teachers and Administrators need to do what they are HIRED to do....School Board Members NEED to have an open mind and not an agenda....and KIDS, they just need to be kids and understand that there are consequences for their actions...Looks like its a CONTROL issue to me....

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1202527" timestamp="1332861502"]
Like with many schools.....Parents need to be parents....Coaches, Teachers and Administrators need to do what they are HIRED to do....School Board Members NEED to have an open mind and not an agenda....and KIDS, they just need to be kids and understand that there are consequences for their actions...Looks like its a CONTROL issue to me....
[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this post hits the nail on the head in any situiation!! 

If the discipline is an issue, then why wasn't this done last year after the punishment was handed down.  Why didn't they go after the basketball coach, who turned the kids in.  Why didn't they go after the principal who handed down the punishment.  It is easy to blame it on the discipline and not dig and realize that maybe the running of he athletic program is the issue. 

The first poster hit the nail on the head.  The kids that don't play fooball, don't like doing football workouts.  Go figure. I have had a kid in this program all three years Huck has been here and the comment about it being the same way all three years is completely untrue.  This year for instance, the athletic period changed from last period to in the middle of the day.  This was done so everyone could go through the same workouts all year.  The only problem was, everything changed once football was over.  During basketball, which my son plays, they had to go through offseason workouts, except on game days.  How gracious.  It wasn't this way last year.  Why did it change.  I guess after school practice is the only time that they get to work on the sport that is in season.  How many other schools that are in our district work their programs this way.

I guess the bottom line is, he is a great football coach, but there are more kids who don't play football than do.  Why is the athletic program centered around the season of one sport?  It doesn't matter to me, my kid is now done, but don't blame it on three kids discipline when that probably has nothing to do with it.  Dig a little deeper.

I haven't posted on this site in a very long time but after reading the topic I feel like I should voice my opinion. My son played for Huck and I can tell you without question that he has the utmost respect for that man. To me it seems that if the numbers are too low in the program then maybe it's a problem with the parents and "soft" kids that are being raised today. Do you think I liked it when my son had to pull extra sleds or do endless workouts that took up all his spare time? Well....yes I did. It kept him busy, made him committed to something bigger than himself and really...itsn't that what sports is supposed to be about? Maybe the numbers would be larger if the parents would support Huck and not let their kids quit and encourage them to play by his rules and not quite. He's preparing your kids for the biggest game out there people....LIFE!!! Wake up and see the big picture.

I will say again, issues are not with discipline.  Anyone can message me and I will be glad to share my view. All depends on where you are getting your information. It is funny that when OF was having to look at serious budget cuts and such there was no one that showed up.  We lost a music program, teaching positions and such yet not one voice.  Sometimes you have to peel back the onion to see what is really going on.  It is not about having 25 kids eyes focused on you and putting on a good show.

[/quote]

Could not agree more. The numbers have been dropping for a long time way before Huck got here but now it is an issue. The kids who quit were going to quit anyway sooner or later. I say if you only have 11 left then that is the 11 you play with. The numbers have been dropping in football, track and girls basketball while the numbers are good in volleyball, softball, Tennis and golf. Wonder why? I know why. There is more to this then number of kids participating, it is about teaching kids about life in the real world and Huck does an outstanding job in that category. I keep hearing that he is not about all the programs. I am wondering has anyone heard those words come out of his mouth? I doubt it. I don't pretend to know everything but what I do know is before he got here we was defeated before we ever stepped on the field. Now the kids expect to win when they step on the field.

It has nothing to do with what happened last year.  Catfever has hit the nail on the head.  You say do what's best for the kids? Why "punish" a kid for being involved in multiple sports? I know for a fact a baseball player this year, missed an offseason workout to attend a golf tournment.  When he got back, he had to make up his offseason workout because he was involved in another sport before he was allowed to play in the baseball game.  How is that doing what's best for the kid? Huck is an outstanding football coach, he has gotten more out of those kids in the last 3 years than anyone else, but do what's right by the kids and let them participate in other sports without the insanity of having to make up an offseason workout. Just my 2 cents and opinion.

[quote name="OFBobcat" post="1202546" timestamp="1332864360"]
It has nothing to do with what happened last year.  Catfever has hit the nail on the head.  You say do what's best for the kids? Why "punish" a kid for being involved in multiple sports? I know for a fact a baseball player this year, missed an offseason workout to attend a golf tournment.  When he got back, he had to make up his offseason workout because he was involved in another sport before he was allowed to play in the baseball game.  How is that doing what's best for the kid? Huck is an outstanding football coach, he has gotten more out of those kids in the last 3 years than anyone else, but do what's right by the kids and let them participate in other sports without the insanity of having to make up an offseason workout. Just my 2 cents and opinion.
[/quote]Ha, nothing to do with what happened last year. Let's pretend that is true. Look at it this way, if a kid misses school for a UIL meet, is he dismissed from all the schoolwork that was handed out that day? "But but but my kid was at another academic even all day why does he have to do the work he missed?" Come on folks. It's not punishment, it's MAKE UP.

Who said anything about kids quitting athletics, they are just not playing football.  We had record numbers in basketball this year, so many that all could not dress.  More than enough to fill 3 teams.  What about the job the basketball coach did, he was in the middle of all of the adversity of the season, he was close to the kids, do you think anyone else cared?  Not enough to say sorry for your loss, not enough to not try and punish kids for missing athletics the day after after the funeral, even though they were at school and was under direction of principal. Someone called it a football workout which is exactly what the workout was.  How bout this, instead of a football workout during the season lets do a basketball workout or a baseball workout year round.  We have done the same workouts for 3 year and I can assure you that all results are tracked and i would love to see just how great these improvements were.  BTW how many coaches have we also lost during this time as well?  Guess that was the kids fault as well, what about breaking UIL rules?  What about putting coaching careers in jeopardy?  None of it matters because that doesn't make for a good story.  Blaming kids is much easier.  BTW one of those that have been the most vocal made there kid quit becasue they were a discipline problem at home.  Guess you only have to behave during football season.

If you are referring to pulling sleds as a football workout YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING. Please tell me you are talking about something else. Even if you are talking about something else, I don't believe there is such thing as a "football workout." All the muscles used throughout his workouts pertain to most every sport.

Here is exactly the way the workouts are since you are interested.

During FB season-
Mon-Weight workout-No max
Tues-Speed workout- run 200's
Wed-Bobcat Buiilders
Thurs-Game prep-Off season kids weight workout
Fri-Game Day
No make up days

After FB Season

Basketball-
Mon-Max on all weights
Tues game day/Must make up work out missed
Wed-Bobcat builders/weight workout makeup- no practice
Thurs- Weight workout
Fri-game day-Subvarsity workout

Baseball- same as basketball

The reason- It takes much more prep time for a football game than a basketball or baseball game.  So the basic arguement here is that it is not football so it can't be as hard.  Talk to any successfull baseball or basketball coach and ask if it is the same kind of workout for any sport.

Don't know if you are responding to my post are not Wildcatter but if you are, I was talking about the numbers being low in football, track and girls basketball and like I said before the numbers in those sports have been dropping for years way before Huck and Jost got here. I am not saying both coaches are perfect just saying it is a little unfair to put the sole blame on these two guys. Actually my first post was in response to what Bobcat4life posted. As you know Wildcatter I am Old school and that will not change. We disagree on this subject and that is OK. I agree I don't know all the facts but I stand by my opinion as you stand by yours. I have no problem with that.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202559" timestamp="1332866431"]

During FB season-
Wed-Bobcat Buiilders
Fri-Game Day
No make up days

After FB Season

Basketball-
Mon-Max on all weights
Thurs- Weight workout

The reason- It takes much more prep time for a football game than a basketball or baseball game.  So the basic arguement here is that it is not football so it can't be as hard.  Talk to any successfull baseball or basketball coach and ask if it is the same kind of workout for any sport.

[/quote] If a workout is missed during football season you DO have to make it up. Also I believe you are wrong on the bobcat builder day they do have practice afterwards. So what you are saying is that you are mad because football doesn't play on Tuesday which means they don't have to make up a workout, while basketball and baseball do. Ask any successful football coach, or anyone that has played the sports, football is much more taxing on your body than baseball or basketball is... So the workouts are modified according to which sport is in season. Not sure where the problem is.

[quote name="footballin" post="1202566" timestamp="1332867379"]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=98125.msg1202559#msg1202559 date=1332866431]

During FB season-
Wed-Bobcat Buiilders
Fri-Game Day
No make up days

After FB Season

Basketball-
Mon-Max on all weights
Thurs- Weight workout

[/quote] If a workout is missed during football season you DO have to make it up. Also I believe you are wrong on the bobcat builder day they do have practice afterwards. So what you are saying is that you are mad because football doesn't play on Tuesday which means they don't have to make up a workout, while basketball and baseball do. Ask any successful football coach, or anyone that has played the sports, [color=red]football is much more taxing on your body than baseball or basketball is...[/color][/quote]

Very True and so is track.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder