Jasper Head Football Coach leaving!!!!!wow

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Jbdfan" post="1200723" timestamp="1332459415"]
I woul just like to know if they have any chance of working this out.
[/quote]
There is always a chance as long as the parties are talking.  It has worked out before in similar circumstances.

I really hope they can work it out and keep Morgan. With Morgan I feel Jasper has a promising future in all areas of Sports. I've met him and his brother and they are both stand up guys. I feel bad for the players. Everyone I have talked to liked Coach Morgan and what he was doing.

[quote name="SFAlumberjack13" post="1200831" timestamp="1332467667"]
I really hope they can work it out and keep Morgan. With Morgan I feel Jasper has a promising future in all areas of Sports. I've met him and his brother and they are both stand up guys. I feel bad for the players. Everyone I have talked to liked Coach Morgan and what he was doing.
[/quote]
Agreed.  I hope that whatever triggered this can be talked through and calm heads prevail.  Everyone loses under the current scenario.

[quote name="jasperbasketball" post="1200653" timestamp="1332455009"]
Actually He Didn't make Jasper basketball win anything because he didn't have anything to do with that program , they played by theirselves . He didn't even come to most of their games , and if so it was to fake like he cared for basketball so what kind of coach is he? A quitter? That's all I see is a coach running away from kids he tried to kill from working the death. So let him leave , he must didn't think to much of Jasper if he felt that way and up and ran!
[/quote]
The Jasper basketball team won for the same reasons the football team won. HORRIBLE district.

Thanks Coach Mixon, Coach Carter, Coach Walker, Coach Young and Coach Galifaro for the jobs you all did as head coaches for Jasper ISD even though you all weren't successful before Coach Morgan arrived. Thank you Coach Smith, Coach Hicks & Coach Burt and Doc Guthrie for your tenure in the District, our community is blessed to have people like you who will stay around even though your are under appreciated and I am certain that you are under paid.

A new coach comes in and they treat him like god and as though he can walk on water, and all he did for his underserving status, is quit on the kids and make a political play on the school board. LET HIM GO! This community deserves better.  He came in bashing the coaching staff that was here when he got here and the only program that didn't make the playoffs before he arrived was the football team last year.  Let him take the same exit that he entered when he came to our District; I will gladly pay for the UHAUL.

[/quote]

I doubt that anyone will hear anything official or otherwise from this meeting, which looked to be an informal one anyway, until there is an acceptance or refusal to accept Coach Morgan's resignation letter.
[/quote]

No such thing as an informal board meeting.  If they meet and have a quorum they will have posted an agenda at the admin. building  72 hours before the meeting.

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="1200863" timestamp="1332469391"]

[/quote]

I doubt that anyone will hear anything official or otherwise from this meeting, which looked to be an informal one anyway, until there is an acceptance or refusal to accept Coach Morgan's resignation letter.
[/quote]

No such thing as an informal board meeting.  If they meet and have a quorum they will have posted an agenda at the admin. building  72 hours before the meeting.
[/quote]
They might have meant "closed meeting"; which it was.  Personnel meeting.  Generally supposed to be "closed".

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="1200872" timestamp="1332469919"]
All meetings start in open session.  Some immediately go into closed session.  They didn't post this meeting on the website so I suppose it was posted only on site.
[/quote]

That is why I termed the meeting "informal,"  because it did not appear that the meeting notice would have met the Open Meetings Act and it did not appear that the formalities were met once the meeting began.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1200694" timestamp="1332456195"]
The board is meeting behind close doors on this matter but has scheduled a meeting for the public to attend and discuss on April 16.

The word is that Morgan will finish out the school year but the board has to look into the fact of Morgan breaking contract.
[/quote]

He can't break his contract unless he is trying to leave to go another school while under this contract, and if that is the case they can have his certificate suspended.  Any employee has the right to resign at the end of any school year without penalty, no matter how many years are left on their contract.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1200876" timestamp="1332470400"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=97736.msg1200872#msg1200872 date=1332469919]
All meetings start in open session.  Some immediately go into closed session.  They didn't post this meeting on the website so I suppose it was posted only on site.
[/quote]

That is why I termed the meeting "informal,"  because it did not appear that the meeting notice would have met the Open Meetings Act and it did not appear that the formalities were met once the meeting began.
[/quote]

If they are meeting without having posted this meeting they will be in serious trouble.  Perhaps it is just the board officers meeting and not the whole committee.

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="1200882" timestamp="1332470785"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=97736.msg1200876#msg1200876 date=1332470400]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=97736.msg1200872#msg1200872 date=1332469919]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If they are meeting without having posted this meeting they will be in serious trouble.  Perhaps it is just the board officers meeting and not the whole committee.
[/quote]
in trouble even if they made no decisions?

[quote name="j_dog" post="1200893" timestamp="1332471673"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=97736.msg1200882#msg1200882 date=1332470785]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=97736.msg1200876#msg1200876 date=1332470400]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
in trouble even if they made no decisions?
[/quote]

No, if they have a quorom they certainly better not be discussing school business without having followed OMA.  Things like school functions probably are exempted.

interesting thing happened tonight while standing next to a jisd employee he recieved two phone calls from prospective coaches inquiring about the ad/hc position.  I will name one,,,,toby foreman..the second I wont cause he is a head coach in the triangle area but he was a finalist last go around...jasper will be fine I dont know toby but everyone on here seems to really like him,,,the second would be a great hire alot of people wanted him chosen last time...I just hope that who ever does the hiring will consider if the person has a reason to stay for a while..I know the un-named has a reason and would stay for a while..I am confident we will get a good coach and be successful next year with a new coach, the talent is great for the next 4 yrs with a strong jr and fresh classes next year.  I'm thankful that these coaches that are calling are not discouraged by not being hired last time around or by the political mess morgan is causing..Morgan wants to leave period. He's still young and has alot of life in front of them I wish them luck and happiness..thankful for all his hard work and dedication to our jasper kids...he turned the program around and the next coach will get the benefit...and that's that..

one of these days, we will get the right hire!  8)  i agree, from all accounts, the talent is in the pipeline, and there likely will be a long list of applicants.  seems like every time there is a vacancy, there is a pretty long list.  must be the high pay that jasper dishes out.  ;D

[quote name="Jbdfan" post="1201042" timestamp="1332514301"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/jasper/news/article/JISD-board-to-vote-on-Morgan-s-resignation-3429683.php

Well, wonder what happens if they vote not to accept the resignation?
[/quote]

I suppose they could make him finish the year, but after that they can't make him stay.

Open letter to Jasper administration and coaches:

Of course we would not want to keep someone that does not want to be there.  At the same time, if there is a "fixable problem" that has a solution that would make everyone reasonably happy again, I would hope that that option would be sincerely and extensively explored by all persons in positions of authority.

Example.  Back in the late seventies, a very similar situation evolved at Jasper.  The principal evidently was trying to micro manage the football program.  Coach resigned much like this time.  Board listened, over-ruled the principal.  Principal elected to find a job elsewhere.  Coach stayed another 17 or 18 years or so.  Very successful.  I think the Board made the appropriate decision that time.  There is precedent for the Board to step in if needed.

What is right now?  I do not know.  Now, it is less clear to me what is going on since I no longer live in Jasper.  But something is clearly not quite hitting on all the cylinders.  It appears that something has been going on for years that has caused Jasper to become a revolving door for football coaches.  I do not have a clue why that has happened; or what all the dynamics are.  Perhaps it was all coincidences.  Perhaps there were just several bad hires.  Perhaps the community cares too much and butts in trying "to help".  But everybody loses from the turnover regardless of the reason.  The coaches lose.  The school loses.  The players lose.  The fans lose.  The administration loses.  Everybody.

I would hope that the administration, the coaches, the Board; and everybody in Jasper will take this as a wake up call to figure out what the problem is and work to get on the same page.  And that page should be doing what is overall best for the students at Jasper High School.

If the coach has violated UIL rules, or reasonable Jasper ISD rules, then perhaps it indeed is time for him to go.  But if this resignation was prompted by unreasonable administration attempts to micro manage his program then there should be some deep soul searching done in Jasper, Texas.

Successfully running any organization is quite simple.  Figure out what the winners are doing, and then shamelessly copy.  I thought that was what Jasper was doing when they hired Coach Morgan.  As I said, I have not a clue what has been going on behind the scenes.  All I know is what I have read on this board.  But I do know this.  You cannot have a successful program in any field if management micro manages.  If anyone in the administration or the Board has been unreasonably attempting to micro manage and interfere in the athletic program this would be a good time to put a stop to it.  If the Board has to get involved then I would applaud them for stepping forward.

It appears that Coach Morgan may have made some mistakes.  If he has, I would hope he would work to rectify those mistakes.  Everybody makes mistakes if they are trying to actually accomplish something big.  Did he come in with a swagger?  Well, I would hope so.  That is not a crime.  He has a tough job and he must believe in himself.  No question about it.  Perhaps he has not totally sold his program to the community.    Perhaps he needs to do some more selling.  That is what a leader does; sell the program.  In a positive manner.  No need to even mention what someone did in the past.  We are in the now.

What I hope to see come out of this is a unified approach from the Board, the administration, and the athletic department.  I hope to see all the parties start selling the program.  United, Jasper can have one of the best academic and athletic programs in Texas.  And I do believe that a good athletic program supports and enhances the academic program.  Divided, we will all be losers.  What is it going to be Jasper?

[quote name="j_dog" post="1201193" timestamp="1332533496"]
Open letter to Jasper administration and coaches:

Of course we would not want to keep someone that does not want to be there.  At the same time, if there is a "fixable problem" that has a solution that would make everyone reasonably happy again, I would hope that that option would be sincerely and extensively explored by all persons in positions of authority.

Example.  Back in the late seventies, a very similar situation evolved at Jasper.  The principal evidently was trying to micro manage the football program.  Coach resigned much like this time.  Board listened, over-ruled the principal.  Principal elected to find a job elsewhere.  Coach stayed another 17 or 18 years or so.  Very successful.  I think the Board made the appropriate decision that time.  There is precedent for the Board to step in if needed.

What is right now?  I do not know.  Now, it is less clear to me what is going on since I no longer live in Jasper.  But something is clearly not quite hitting on all the cylinders.  It appears that something has been going on for years that has caused Jasper to become a revolving door for football coaches.  I do not have a clue why that has happened; or what all the dynamics are.  Perhaps it was all coincidences.  Perhaps there were just several bad hires.  Perhaps the community cares too much and butts in trying "to help".  But everybody loses from the turnover regardless of the reason.  The coaches lose.  The school loses.  The players lose.  The fans lose.  The administration loses.  Everybody.

I would hope that the administration, the coaches, the Board; and everybody in Jasper will take this as a wake up call to figure out what the problem is and work to get on the same page.  And that page should be doing what is overall best for the students at Jasper High School.

If the coach has violated UIL rules, or reasonable Jasper ISD rules, then perhaps it indeed is time for him to go.  But if this resignation was prompted by unreasonable administration attempts to micro manage his program then there should be some deep soul searching done in Jasper, Texas.

Successfully running any organization is quite simple.  Figure out what the winners are doing, and then shamelessly copy.  I thought that was what Jasper was doing when they hired Coach Morgan.  As I said, I have not a clue what has been going on behind the scenes.  All I know is what I have read on this board.  But I do know this.  You cannot have a successful program in any field if management micro manages.  If anyone in the administration or the Board has been unreasonably attempting to micro manage and interfere in the athletic program this would be a good time to put a stop to it.  If the Board has to get involved then I would applaud them for stepping forward.

It appears that Coach Morgan may have made some mistakes.  If he has, I would hope he would work to rectify those mistakes.  Everybody makes mistakes if they are trying to actually accomplish something big.  Did he come in with a swagger?  Well, I would hope so.  That is not a crime.  He has a tough job and he must believe in himself.  No question about it.  Perhaps he has not totally sold his program to the community.    Perhaps he needs to do some more selling.  That is what a leader does; sell the program.  In a positive manner.  No need to even mention what someone did in the past.  We are in the now.

What I hope to see come out of this is a unified approach from the Board, the administration, and the athletic department.  I hope to see all the parties start selling the program.  United, Jasper can have one of the best academic and athletic programs in Texas.  And I do believe that a good athletic program supports and enhances the academic program.  Divided, we will all be losers.  What is it going to be Jasper?
[/quote]

Very good anaology j dog and from everything I have heard today that is exactly what is happening here again only this time it is being done by some of 'our own' up in administration.  Our board needs to act and get rid of what the real problem is. Coach Morgan and his fine staff have us heading in the right direction on the field and in the classroom. What I heard today made me sick. The worst part being it was being done by 'people' that have been here forever and are suppose to have our kids best intrest in mind.

Our school board needs to act now before too many of these fine men head out of Jasper.

When u have people in adm.that wants to run everything then u have problems. We have one coach in jasper that cares about his program and thats shawn mixon. And if his family wasnt from here he would of been run off years ago. Ive seen parants complain to him for years about there kids cause momma and daddy think hes to hard on there kid. Look what he has done in the baseball program. People let your kids grow up to be men or ladys. And we have some adm. Who has to go. What is chris colmans title? It used to be over athletes. Whats coach brooks title? We have too much money going to places that dont need spent in jasper. Ive been on a school board for years. Jisd has to many people wanting to run everything. Let the people you hire do there jobs if they do it wrong then its your job to get them back on track. Not to tell them how to run there programs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder