Hamshire-Fannett AD/HC now open

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1192027" timestamp="1330870617"]
Perhaps your definition of being "good" is different from mine.  on the 3A level, I consider WOS football "good".....Hardin Jefferson and Silsbee basketball "good"...making the playoffs is great, but as a coach my ultimate goal is to be able to contend for a state title every year...Be in the hunt...So I guess its all about perspective.
[/quote]
The manager of a team is like a stagecoach, he can't move unless he has the horses.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1192021" timestamp="1330869135"]
I am not for certain HOW it is done at HF, but from the description of it, it seems that they require ALL kids to weight train ONE WAY, year around..If that is the case, thats not very smart. YES weight training is good for all sports, but if you do not allow SKILL DEVELOPMENT in your athletic program, YOUR OTHER sports will suffer.
[/quote]
Agreed but how would you organize this at a small school?

You have 5 football coaches, one basketball hc, one baseball head coach.  If the kids don't play football your head coach gets you until you are inseason for other sports, its not that hard.  You also should be able to have your kids for practice during the season, we don't even have that luxury.  The coach works with the AD to keep informed of what they are doing if they need to.  It's called letting your head coaches coach and build program.  Sutherland had kids do cross country which is much better than running 200's during the period. Look at the schools who are consistently good in other sports andthe reason is they have the ability to start in August on skill vs Nov.  Take away 2 a days and spring practice and how would your football teams do? 

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1192108" timestamp="1330884004"]
You have 5 football coaches, one basketball hc, one baseball head coach.  If the kids don't play football your head coach gets you until you are inseason for other sports, its not that hard.  You also should be able to have your kids for practice during the season, we don't even have that luxury.  The coach works with the AD to keep informed of what they are doing if they need to.  It's called letting your head coaches coach and build program.  Sutherland had kids do cross country which is much better than running 200's during the period. Look at the schools who are consistently good in other sports andthe reason is they have the ability to start in August on skill vs Nov.  Take away 2 a days and spring practice and how would your football teams do?
[/quote]
Maybe HF is so big they have kids that play only one sport but most small schools have the same kids playing every sport. There is no building of programs simultaneously. In the spring you can have kids playing three sports at the same time. They can not do sport specific workouts which forces the school to devise a generic all-around workout that best meets the needs of the program as a whole. The workout tends to favor football in most schools but does not detract from the other sports as much as advertised. In most small schools basketball can not start until football is over, baseball/track can not start until basketball is over. It is unrealistic to do new workout programs every couple of months for each new sport. 

[quote name="12gage" post="1192110" timestamp="1330884454"]
So true , but trying to explain that to dove or dv, who are experts in all things , you are wasting your air. Hard to explain things to , if you dont do things my way ,I am taking my basketball and going home or ozen
[/quote]
Uhh, 12gage....I think he was in AGREEMENT with what Dove and I were saying.... ::)

Wildcatter, apples and oranges.  Sutherland has only, if I count it correctly, 3 on his team and only one starter who played football for Coach Martel.  HF had AT LEAST 3 starters who were playing football for Price.  It is easy to say let the basketball team start with it's skill set in August as opposed to November, but are you going to tell the football coaches that his players have to be training for another sport that they are currently in season for football?  I don't think so. 89falcon is right on.

BTW, how are we talking about BASKETBALL training in the FOOTBALL forum.

[/quote]
But if the kids are doing skill work during the athletic period, how/when will they get stronger?

It is possible to lift weights and get some skill work in as well..you have to be organized and efficient during the athletic period..WOS, I would NEVER ask a kid that is in season, to work on another sport that is OUT of season...Football coaches do not always extend that same courtesy.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1192137" timestamp="1330891799"]
It is possible to lift weights and get some skill work in as well..you have to be organized and efficient during the athletic period..WOS, I would NEVER ask a kid that is in season, to work on another sport that is OUT of season...Football coaches do not always extend that same courtesy.
[/quote]

Yes, I know that there are some football coaches who are a bit possessive.  And I agree that the strengthening and conditioning system should be tailored to the sport.  However, I think what forum and others are trying to say is that at a smaller school like HF where kids compete is multiple sports and there is little (and sometimes no) transition period in between those sports, the tailoring is a little bit easier said than done.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1192137" timestamp="1330891799"]
[/quote]
Yes. You are correct about a balance, but at small schools the head coaches of non-football sports are also football coaches and his/her priority is with football during football season. The strength and conditioning program Coach Price implemented can't be as bad as you make it out to be. Could there be tweaks...probably, but considering staff, facilities, and budget the "UOS" made HF athletics better.

We had as many non football and still do uos. We don't even get to practice in period during the season. Max out day before games and make up workouts missed for game day. That's our uos. Not to mention off season kids put into a group anyway. Funny how we can spare coaches during spring fb. I am smart enough to get that some coaches will not change but doesn't make it right.

Pointless, 12gage? Ignorance is bliss...no one else is making this a personal thing, except you...adults are having an adult discussion on here...
As far as UOS goes, I think it CAN and NEEDS to be tweeked, according to the information that I have been given on it...it just does not seem fair to anyone, except the football program, and at HF, that apparently has not paid big dividends for the football team there...hopefully, for the kids sake, they will hire an AD that understands what a well rounded athletic program will do for a school and community...not JUST a football coach with no vision for any other program, but his.

Ok, I will ask this again....HOW MANY STATE CHAMPIONS DID UOS PRODUCE AT HF? State finalists? State semi finalist? Regional finalists? Then its really NOT working...teams can make the playoffs these days, particularly in football with sub .500 records, so though its a nice feat, its really not earth shattering...I hope they find an AD that truly understands what ATHLETIC PROGRAM means....for the sake of ALL of the kids involved.

[/quote]
New BB coach at HF had all basketball players at HF run cross county this year if they were not in Football. They were in shape this year.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1192215" timestamp="1330905474"]
Ok, I will ask this again....HOW MANY STATE CHAMPIONS DID UOS PRODUCE AT HF? State finalists? State semi finalist? Regional finalists? Then its really NOT working...teams can make the playoffs these days, particularly in football with sub .500 records, so though its a nice feat, its really not earth shattering...I hope they find an AD that truly understands what ATHLETIC PROGRAM means....for the sake of ALL of the kids involved.
[/quote]

So many other state champions in this area doing it other ways lets see none besides WOS in track and those kids lifted weights

I think all freshmen and most sophomores should go through strength training. They need that development. But juniors and seniors that only play one sport should use that time for skill training for that sport.

I am of the opinion that at small schools (3A and down) athletes should play multiple sports. No reason for some of the best athletes at the school just play one sport.

At Silsbee, this year's varsity basketball team had just 2 players that did not play football. The remaining 10 played football, including 3 of it's starters in Elam, Gaines and Holmes.

Of the 16 players on the Tiger varsity baseball team, only 2 of them did not play football. There are several that are three sport athletes at Silsbee. Football, basketball, baseball, track or soccer, combination of the three.

Even though Silsbee is the largest school in 21-3A, it counts on it's athletes being multi-sport athletes.

Silsbee makes all it's freshmen athletes go through UOS.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1192297" timestamp="1330922283"]
I think all freshmen and most sophomores should go through strength training. They need that development. But juniors and seniors that only play one sport should use that time for skill training for that sport.

I am of the opinion that at small schools (3A and down) athletes should play multiple sports. No reason for some of the best athletes at the school just play one sport.

At Silsbee, this year's varsity basketball team had just 2 players that did not play football. The remaining 10 played football, including 3 of it's starters in Elam, Gaines and Holmes.

Of the 16 players on the Tiger varsity baseball team, only 2 of them did not play football. There are several that are three sport athletes at Silsbee. Football, basketball, baseball, track or soccer, combination of the three.

Even though Silsbee is the largest school in 21-3A, it counts on it's athletes being multi-sport athletes.

[/quote]

You are totally correct.

[quote name="bearbryant" post="1192316" timestamp="1330947904"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=96529.msg1192297#msg1192297 date=1330922283]

[/quote]

You are totally correct.
[/quote]
Maybe this needs to be on another thread, but if Silsbee is the largest school in the district, why do they only have a JV and Varsity football team? I went to a JV game and there was 60 kids standing on the Silsbee sideline not getting much playing time. HF one of the smallest school in the district fields 3 teams, so the kids get alot of experience. I felt the both schools needed to change the number of teams they field.