How important is Sportsmanship

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1174579" timestamp="1328735666"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95691.msg1174576#msg1174576 date=1328735381]
As most questions about general propositions like this here are prompted by specific events, I am curious as to what recent specific event prompted this question about a general proposition.
[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not!!!
[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with the question regardless of what prompted the author to pose it.  The problem would occur if said author pointed a finger at a specific situation.  That would cause problems here.  Whether a specific situation prompted his question or if he really just wanted to know others opinion, I believe he handled it properly by NOT mentioning any incident that might have been involved. From my point of view, this question is no different than the one asking for opinions on covering your heart when playing the national anthem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents:  Coaches should teach players not to talk back to the refs, or to the opposing fans.  Nothing good comes from it.  Coach or team captain should be the only ones addressing the refs.

A little back and forth between the players is almost unpreventable.  Though if I see my sons doing it, they will hear from me.  Never be the one to start something, but don't allow yourself to be intimidated either.  Sometimes you have to protect yourself and your team-mates, and you can do that without being dirty.  Physical is another story. 

Taunting another player should result in a technical if the ref sees it. 

At the HS level, the teams should shake hands after the game.  Though I am not personally a big fan of the players fist bumping the refs and/or opposing coach before the game as has become normal during the pregame introductions.  It's fine, but I find it unnecessary.

Play as hard as you can between the lines, but act in a way that would make your momma proud.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1174603" timestamp="1328738022"]
Inflammatory?  I just said I was curious.

To paraphrase Hamlet: Me thinks the gentleman doth protest a bit too loudly.
[/quote]

Why were you not concerned about the National Anthem question being a result of a specific incident?  Could that not also have been prompted by a specific incident?  I don't have any Hamlet eloquence to offer but I do remember an old saying that said " Why make a mountain out of a molehill".  It's apparent that you know of an incident which you "believe" is what is behind the question.  If that is the case, is the question he posed any less "innocent" than yours requesting more specifics?  If he, as you believe "knows something he isnt revealing" and you, as I believe" think you know of a specific incident", would it not be better to avoid the acrimony?

[quote name="Pumper" post="1174608" timestamp="1328738561"]
My two cents:  Coaches should teach players not to talk back to the refs, or to the opposing fans.  Nothing good comes from it.  Coach or team captain should be the only ones addressing the refs.

A little back and forth between the players is almost unpreventable.  Though if I see my sons doing it, they will hear from me.  Never be the one to start something, but don't allow yourself to be intimidated either.  Sometimes you have to protect yourself and your team-mates, and you can do that without being dirty.  Physical is another story. 

At the HS level, the teams should shake hands after the game.  Though I am not personally a big fan of the players fist bumping the refs and/or opposing coach before the game as has become normal during the pregame introductions.  It's fine, but I find it unnecessary.

Play as hard as you can between the lines, but act in a way that would make your momma proud.
[/quote]

Kudos to you pumper.  I like your perspective.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1174609" timestamp="1328739056"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95691.msg1174603#msg1174603 date=1328738022]

[/quote]

Why were you not concerned about the National Anthem question being a result of a specific incident?  Could that not also have been prompted by a specific incident?  I don't have any Hamlet eloquence to offer but I do remember an old saying that said " Why make a mountain out of a molehill".  It's apparent that you know of an incident which you "believe" is what is behind the question.  If that is the case, is the question he posed any less "innocent" than yours requesting more specifics?  If he, as you believe "knows something he isnt revealing" and you, as I believe" think you know of a specific incident", would it not be better to avoid the acrimony?
[/quote]

Nash, you lecturing someone on avoiding acrimony is like Warren Buffett telling Bill Gates he has too much money.

[/quote]There is a thin line between teaching the right way and not being intimidated or backing down during a game. But I am in agreement with you.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1174621" timestamp="1328740181"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174609#msg1174609 date=1328739056]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95691.msg1174603#msg1174603 date=1328738022]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nash, you lecturing someone on avoiding acrimony is like Warren Buffett telling Bill Gates he has too much money.
[/quote]

I can't disagree with that.  That's one of many reasons why I would never qualify for a "managerial position" here.  But I still don't understand why someone who is charged with the responsibility of preventing acrimony or confrontation would be encouraging it in a less than veiled manner.

[/quote]

Best post I have heard in a long time!!!!

If you must know, The game last night against WOS inspired me to start this thread WOSgrad...There is nothing secret about,( NO backdoor cuts) ;D there were several instances that inspired me to start it. You are totally wrong on your assumption though, me thinks the gentleman doth [b]PRAISES[/b]  just at the right level. I gave KUDOS in the game thread last night to the WOS kids about the future of there basketball team, and I quote; They know how to ball and they do it the right way with respect for each other and there opponents...Many times I saw kids get knocked to the floor and someone was there to help them up, no matter which team they played for....I personally like to see that, Some do not care, I was just curious how everyone else felt about it..This was carried out throughout all three levels of play last night. This threads intention was to bring that out. I'm glad to see a group of coaches that require their players to be good sportsman, whether there winning or losing...you can read what I said on the game thread from last night...I was thinking about it during the broadcast last night, and thought I would give both teams Kudos...And by the way who in the heck is Hamlet Eloquence, & shouldn't his last name be capitalized.. 

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1174626" timestamp="1328740700"]
[quote author=Pumper link=topic=95691.msg1174608#msg1174608 date=1328738561]

[/quote]

Best post I have [b]heard[/b] in a long time!!!!
[/quote]

Well I am still waiting to "hear" this post but I have "read" it and I do agree with it 100%!!  ;) ;D

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1174653" timestamp="1328743806"]
If you must know, The game last night against WOS inspired me to start this thread WOSgrad...There is nothing secret about,( NO backdoor cuts) ;D there were several instances that inspired me to start it. You are totally wrong on your assumption though, me thinks the gentleman [b]PRAISES[/b]  just at the right level. I gave KUDOS in the game thread last night to the WOS kids about the future of there basketball team, and I quote; They know how to ball and they do it the right way with respect for each other and there opponents...Many times I saw kids get knocked to the floor and someone was there to help them up, no matter which team they played for....I personally like to see that, Some do not care, I was just curious how everyone else felt about it..This was carried out throughout all three levels of play last night. This threads intention was to bring that out. I'm glad to see a group of coaches that require their players to be good sportsman, whether there winning or losing...you can read what I said on the game thread from last night...I was thinking about it during the broadcast last night, and thought I would give both teams Kudos...And by the way who in the heck is Hamlet Eloquence, & shouldn't his last name be capitalized.. 
[/quote]

Poppabear, I appreciate you answering my question and satisfying my curiosity.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1174653" timestamp="1328743806"]
If you must know, The game last night against WOS inspired me to start this thread WOSgrad...There is nothing secret about,( NO backdoor cuts) ;D there were several instances that inspired me to start it. You are totally wrong on your assumption though, me thinks the gentleman doth [b]PRAISES[/b]  just at the right level. I gave KUDOS in the game thread last night to the WOS kids about the future of there basketball team, and I quote; They know how to ball and they do it the right way with respect for each other and there opponents...Many times I saw kids get knocked to the floor and someone was there to help them up, no matter which team they played for....I personally like to see that, Some do not care, I was just curious how everyone else felt about it..This was carried out throughout all three levels of play last night. This threads intention was to bring that out. I'm glad to see a group of coaches that require their players to be good sportsman, whether there winning or losing...you can read what I said on the game thread from last night...I was thinking about it during the broadcast last night, and thought I would give both teams Kudos...And by the way who in the heck is Hamlet Eloquence, & shouldn't his last name be capitalized..
[/quote]

Great work Poppa-  ;D ;D ;D ;D  You obviously "did not protest too loudly"

[quote name="stevenash" post="1174666" timestamp="1328746263"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95691.msg1174653#msg1174653 date=1328743806]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, but you did.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1174670" timestamp="1328746682"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174666#msg1174666 date=1328746263]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95691.msg1174653#msg1174653 date=1328743806]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, but you did.
[/quote]

Could have fooled me.  I was thinking there was another poster who questioned the intent/motive of PoppaBear.  It was obviously not loud and obviously not a protest.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1174675" timestamp="1328748367"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95691.msg1174670#msg1174670 date=1328746682]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, but you did.
[/quote]

Could have fooled me.  I was thinking there was another poster who questioned the intent/motive of PoppaBear.  It was obviously not loud and obviously not a protest.
[/quote]

Wow, really?

Here was my first entrance in to the thread:

As most questions about general propositions like this here are prompted by specific events, I am curious as to what recent specific event prompted this question about a general proposition.
[/quote]

Which was met by this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174591#msg1174591 date=1328737089]
I see nothing wrong with the question regardless of what prompted the author to pose it.  The problem would occur if said author pointed a finger at a specific situation.  That would cause problems here.  Whether a specific situation prompted his question or if he really just wanted to know others opinion, I believe he handled it properly by NOT mentioning any incident that might have been involved. From my point of view, this question is no different than the one asking for opinions on covering your heart when playing the national anthem.
[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174600#msg1174600 date=1328737663]
It just seems a little odd that someone who oversees the board in an effort to maintain peace would, ostensibly, solicit a comment that likely would be inflammatory.
[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174609#msg1174609 date=1328739056]Why were you not concerned about the National Anthem question being a result of a specific incident?  Could that not also have been prompted by a specific incident?  I don't have any Hamlet eloquence to offer but I do remember an old saying that said " Why make a mountain out of a molehill".  It's apparent that you know of an incident which you "believe" is what is behind the question.  If that is the case, is the question he posed any less "innocent" than yours requesting more specifics?  If he, as you believe "knows something he isnt revealing" and you, as I believe" think you know of a specific incident", would it not be better to avoid the acrimony?[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174625#msg1174625 date=1328740543]
I can't disagree with that.  That's one of many reasons why I would never qualify for a "managerial position" here.  But I still don't understand why someone who is charged with the responsibility of preventing acrimony or confrontation would be encouraging it in a less than veiled manner.
[/quote]

Yeah, you did protest too loudly.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1174685" timestamp="1328750481"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174675#msg1174675 date=1328748367]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=95691.msg1174670#msg1174670 date=1328746682]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, but you did.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, really?

Here was my first entrance in to the thread:

[/quote]

Which was met by this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174591#msg1174591 date=1328737089]
[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174600#msg1174600 date=1328737663]
It just seems a little odd that someone who oversees the board in an effort to maintain peace would, ostensibly, solicit a comment that likely would be inflammatory.
[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174609#msg1174609 date=1328739056]Why were you not concerned about the National Anthem question being a result of a specific incident?  Could that not also have been prompted by a specific incident?  I don't have any Hamlet eloquence to offer but I do remember an old saying that said " Why make a mountain out of a molehill".  It's apparent that you know of an incident which you "believe" is what is behind the question.  If that is the case, is the question he posed any less "innocent" than yours requesting more specifics?  If he, as you believe "knows something he isnt revealing" and you, as I believe" think you know of a specific incident", would it not be better to avoid the acrimony?[/quote]

and this:

[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174625#msg1174625 date=1328740543]
[/quote]

Yeah, you did protest too loudly.
[/quote]

My comments were obviously a protest of the protest.  I thought you were wrong making the subtle inference and the original author confirmed my suspicion.  And your "evidence" conveniently omits each response you made to each comment I made.  Frame it as you wish- you and I BOTH know how this came about and you simply made an erroneous assumption to which I took exception.  I guess it takes a loud protestor to know a loud protestor.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder