Interesting Question about district 20-4A

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175115" timestamp="1328823620"]
Its a different style of Ball then what the teams in 20-4A are used to playing.. Execution and fundamentals in the Half-court are more important and mean more in getting a victory.. As for HJ and Silsbee, better warm-up your legs and have press-breaks ready.. I think the 20-4A teams would perform much better if they were used the those types of games.. I can take heat for this comment and wont bother me, but Silsbee and HJ's players arent studs by any means.. They fit the system, like a glove.. Run the press, attack, sub when you are tired..
[/quote]

They may not be studs but Shawn Prudhomme is closer to a stud than any player in 20-4a.  Sorry, but thats just the way it is this year. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs, I understand your point about playing more tough district games, because it does make a difference.  I'm an SEC football fan, and it's a meat grinder throughout the conference. 

I still say that this year HJ and Silsbee are better than anything 20-4A has to offer and would have ended up 1 & 2, but we'll never know for sure.

Also, HJ does have some "studs".  Prudhomme would be the MVP of the district, and Johnson and Bosha would start at most 20-4A teams.  Several others would play significant minutes at those schools too.

Silsbee has Gaines, Elam, & Holmes that I think would start at most of those schools also.

It's all just opinion, but it makes for interesting conversation...

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1175120" timestamp="1328824023"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175115#msg1175115 date=1328823620]
Its a different style of Ball then what the teams in 20-4A are used to playing.. Execution and fundamentals in the Half-court are more important and mean more in getting a victory.. As for HJ and Silsbee, better warm-up your legs and have press-breaks ready.. I think the 20-4A teams would perform much better if they were used the those types of games.. I can take heat for this comment and wont bother me, but Silsbee and HJ's players arent studs by any means.. They fit the system, like a glove.. Run the press, attack, sub when you are tired..
[/quote]No, I think you're right.  And that's one of the reasons that I think HJ and Silsbee are so successful in the play-offs.  Some of those teams, who are awfully good, make you wonder if they have ever seen a decent press in their lives.

Good point.
[/quote]
Outside of SE TX, not a lot of teams press full court. Most 4A and 5A teams across the state play 1/2 court basketball. Yes, there are some, but as a whole, they're a minority.
May be a reason not as many D1 kids come out of these programs, bc that style of play is not seen in college. U must develop the skills to be successful in a 1/2 court game to be a college player.

[quote name="Pumper" post="1175132" timestamp="1328825392"]
Dogs, I understand your point about playing more tough district games, because it does make a difference.  I'm an SEC football fan, and it's a meat grinder throughout the conference. 

I still say that this year HJ and Silsbee are better than anything 20-4A has to offer and would have ended up 1 & 2, but we'll never know for sure.

Also, HJ does have some "studs". [b] Prudhomme would be the MVP of the district[/b], and Johnson and Bosha would start at most 20-4A teams.  Several others would play significant minutes at those schools too.

Silsbee has Gaines, Elam, & Holmes that I think would start at most of those schools also.

It's all just opinion, but it makes for interesting conversation...
[/quote]Ok, settle down.  ::)

To me, its pretty simple.  Normally it isnt the case but this year it just happens that the top two teams in the area are from the same 3-a district.  If someone would have asked me before the year started if that was a likely outcome, I would have said probably not.  Even though it is an unlikely rarity, it is what it is and discussions wont change it.  Furthermore, the two teams dont win just because they press- they win because they are better than the other team(s) they played against.  All good coaches have their teams prepared for a press, so it was no surprise when it happened.  Face it, the press is effective and it takes intelligence, athleticism, and speed to be effective.  The two teams have those qualities in varying degrees.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175139" timestamp="1328826153"]
To me, its pretty simple.  Normally it isnt the case but this year it just happens that the top two teams in the area are from the same 3-a district.  If someone would have asked me before the year started if that was a likely outcome, I would have said probably not.  Even though it is an unlikely rarity, it is what it is and discussions wont change it.  Furthermore, the two teams dont win just because they press- they win because they are better than the other team(s) they played against.  All good coaches have their teams prepared for a press, so it was no surprise when it happened.  Face it, the press is effective and it takes intelligence, athleticism, and speed to be effective.  The two teams have those qualities in varying degrees.
[/quote]I really hate it when you make some sense. Makes the forum boring ;D

[/quote]

Never said the press wasnt effective.. Just trying to help you understand some of these results.. You can game-plan as much as you want, but it will beat you if your team doesnt get reps and see it enough.. Which is my point to the 20-4A.. If those teams saw it on a regular basis, you would see that HJ and Silsbee arent leaps and bounds ahead these teams.. Just dont want people saying they would come into the district thinking its going to be just another cake-walk to the play-offs

[/quote]
I think a big reason that Silsbee beat HYCA so easily this year is bc HYCA does not see the press very often, and they don't have a coach per se. I don't remember if Central pressed them or not, but HYCA beat Central by quite a bit. HCYA has a couple of D1 players, and they have beat some good teams this year. However, they were not prepared for the press whatsoever.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1175149" timestamp="1328827036"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95677.msg1175139#msg1175139 date=1328826153]
[/quote]
I think a big reason that Silsbee beat HYCA so easily this year is bc HYCA does not see the press very often, and they don't have a coach per se. I don't remember if Central pressed them or not, but HYCA beat Central by quite a bit. HCYA has a couple of D1 players, and they have beat some good teams this year. However, they were not prepared for the press whatsoever.
[/quote] They should have been. Their pg is use to pressure and they have enough bigs to throw over the top to them.

HJ and Silsbee are better.  hard to blame it on their style.  I don't know if seeing something 4 times a year in a schedule of 30 games would really help 20-4A all that much to prepare.  that insane press would still be something they wouldn't get used to.  i also have to agree with nash who pointed out that both silsbee and HJ have at least 3 starters that would start at just about any school in 20-4A as well.  it may not be the case every year, but this year HJ and Silsbee would finish 1-2 in that district.  They're a combined 10-0 against that district, and 7-0 against the top-4.  with all three top teams each losing a game to 21-3A, plus Ozen getting absolutely run by HJ in a scrimmage (yes, i know they don't count), i'd say that it's pretty obvious what would happen if the two 3A teams moved up into that district.  and the only viable argument i've seen is that the more competitive 20-4A schedule would possibly give their teams an edge over HJ and Silsbee at this point, which would be a moot point had HJ and Silsbee been in that district and played the same tougher schedule.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175147" timestamp="1328826875"]
[/quote]

Never said the press wasnt effective.. Just trying to help you understand some of these results.. You can game-plan as much as you want, but it will beat you if your team doesnt get reps and see it enough.. Which is my point to the 20-4A.. If those teams saw it on a regular basis, you would see that HJ and Silsbee arent leaps and bounds ahead these teams.. Just dont want people saying they would come into the district thinking its going to be just another cake-walk to the play-offs
[/quote]

No doubt that if they saw it on a regular basis, they would adjust.  But, then again, so would Silsbee and HJ against whatever they would see in that district on a regular basis.  Let go of it.  HJ beat Nederland this year and you cant make that go away like you tried once already when you  cried "Oh yeah?  Let em play again and see what happens".  I have already stated this was an abnormal year in the local basketball ranks but you cant rewrite history and the results speak unchangeable volumes.

My point proven...The 3A teams in this area are just better than the 4A teams...Like Nash said, the results of this years head to head competition is unchangeable...Coach English is making Nederland respectable, but the truth of the matter is, they are just not that good..HJ and Silsbee would finish 1 and 2, and WOS would give the others fits as well if they were in there...And this season it is highly likely that Ozen would not even make the playoffs if those schools were in there...PITIFUL.. ::) ::)...SOMETHING needs to be done immediately...This would not even be a discussion in past years...Just pitiful... >:(

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175160" timestamp="1328827839"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175147#msg1175147 date=1328826875]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No doubt that if they saw it on a regular basis, they would adjust.  But, then again, so would Silsbee and HJ against whatever they would see in that district on a regular basis.  Let go of it.  HJ beat Nederland this year and you cant make that go away like you tried once already when you  cried "Oh yeah?  Let em play again and see what happens".  I have already stated this was an abnormal year in the local basketball ranks but you cant rewrite history and the results speak unchangeable volumes.

[/quote]

:D Thats a cute way to put it Nash.. I know HJ beat Nederland, more power to them, just dont like people throwing the Elite tag on those teams and think they are easily winners wherever they go.. Sorry, but that is the perception given off by the post I have read, and didnt want to just sit around anymore

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175166" timestamp="1328828477"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95677.msg1175160#msg1175160 date=1328827839]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:D Thats a cute way to put it Nash.. I know HJ beat Nederland, more power to them, just dont like people throwing the Elite tag on those teams and think they are easily winners wherever they go.. Sorry, but that is the perception given off by the post I have read, and didnt want to just sit around anymore
[/quote]
Not cute- just plain factual.  It is no secret that you have a dislike for HJ and I have no problem with that.  Please show me where someone said they are ELITE.  Where did someone say they are easily winners wherever they go?  Dont you think it is a good idea to be able to substantiate an allegation when making one?  You are struggling with the FACT that they are a very good team this year ( better than you expected).  The good news is you can spout all the buzzwords and lingo you wish from a self perceived lofty perspective but you still can't change what has already taken place. 

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1174216" timestamp="1328710586"]
Had this convo the other night....If you dropped Hardin Jefferson and Silsbee in district 20-4A, where would they finish THIS SEASON? I have a pretty good idea that this will hurt some egos on here, but its just a "hypothetical" scenario...Think about the head to head competitions here with those two 3A programs... 8)...my pick: They would finish 1 and 2... ;)...What do you guys think?
[/quote]

I cant help but agree with this post D, You have seen a lot of basketball, a lot more teams than me, and I know how you felt about the HJ/Silsbee match up, because you told me. "It's a college environment game" as you said. Also you said that "it was the BEST game you had seen all year." now the question remains, was it the best because of;

A.) the level of play
B.) the coaching adjustments
C.) Wild crazy passionate fans
D.) Style of play
E.) All the above.

In Silsbee's case, the past three seasons they were either the #1 or #2 ranked team in the area (SETX polls and other local media polls). I know it's just rankings but it does show that Silsbee has been considered the best of all the teams in the area the last 3 years.

Also, Silsbee has defeated Central the last 3 times they have played and has defeated Ozen 3 of the last 4 times they have played. In fact, Central decided to discontinue playing Silsbee 2 years ago.

It's all speculative as to how HJ and Silsbee would finish in 20-4A, but I have seen all the area teams play and I know of no other teams that are better in the area than HJ and Silsbee.

If I had to say, they would finish at the top of 20-4A.

speaking of elite, we're not going to put an elite tag on a team that's been to state twice, and regionals what 5 times, in the last 6 years?  that's 34-1 this year, and 8-0 against the local district a classification up, including two wins totalling nearly a 40-point margin against the best two teams in that district?  your bias is showing, and it's irrational.  the same argument can be made for silsbee.  they've been to regionals nearly every year in the past 5 or 6, and have represented our area at state.  they're not one of the elite local teams?  i guess you think it should be Nederland, because they're looking for a 3-peat in a district that hasn't been strong in 5 years?  you got it, then.  Nederland's the elite team in the area, they just aren't as good as the two best teams in 21-3A, and if they had to play each team twice in district, they'd be lucky to pull out 1 win in the 4 games this year.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1175169" timestamp="1328828977"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95677.msg1174216#msg1174216 date=1328710586]
Had this convo the other night....If you dropped Hardin Jefferson and Silsbee in district 20-4A, where would they finish THIS SEASON? I have a pretty good idea that this will hurt some egos on here, but its just a "hypothetical" scenario...Think about the head to head competitions here with those two 3A programs... 8)...my pick: They would finish 1 and 2... ;)...What do you guys think?
[/quote]

I cant help but agree with this post D, You have seen a lot of basketball, a lot more teams than me, and I know how you felt about the HJ/Silsbee match up, because you told me. "It's a college environment game" as you said. Also you said that "it was the BEST game you had seen all year." now the question remains, was it the best because of;

A.) the level of play
D.) Style of play
E.) All the above.
[/quote]

E for 100 Alex..... 8)....It WAS the best HS game that I had seen in this area all season long, by far...3A HJ vs. Silsbee....WOW. :o

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175168" timestamp="1328828831"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175166#msg1175166 date=1328828477]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95677.msg1175160#msg1175160 date=1328827839]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Not cute- just plain factual.  It is no secret that you have a dislike for HJ and I have no problem with that.  Please show me where someone said they are ELITE.  Where did someone say they are easily winners wherever they go?  Dont you think it is a good idea to be able to substantiate an allegation when making one?  You are struggling with the FACT that they are a very good team this year ( better than you expected).  The good news is you can spout all the buzzwords and lingo you wish from a self perceived lofty perspective but you still can't change what has already taken place. 
[/quote]

Ha!!

I knew they were good! I knew they had players coming back! I picked them to sweep Silsbee this year.. Wanna go look up that record since you enjoy trying to run this site so much? Some words are easy to be perceived from other comments.. Every post seems to be either HJ people believing they are the best to walk in a gym, and they rest are trying to show you it wouldnt be as easy a transition as you and others would like to think. Now I knew this thread was going to be something like this and its just stupid. Proud of HJ and Silsbee for beating 20-4A in all the games this year. Good luck with playoffs. Must be nice in that district getting to make play-off t-shirts before the season even starts

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175172" timestamp="1328829131"]
speaking of elite, we're not going to put an elite tag on a team that's been to state twice, and regionals what 5 times, in the last 6 years?  that's 34-1 this year, and 8-0 against the local district a classification up, including two wins totalling nearly a 40-point margin against the best two teams in that district?  your bias is showing, and it's irrational.  the same argument can be made for silsbee.  they've been to regionals nearly every year in the past 5 or 6, and have represented our area at state.  they're not one of the elite local teams?  i guess you think it should be Nederland, because they're looking for a 3-peat in a district that hasn't been strong in 5 years?  you got it, then. [b] Nederland's the elite team in the area[/b], they just aren't as good as the two best teams in 21-3A, and if they had to play each team twice in district, they'd be lucky to pull out 1 win in the 4 games this year.
[/quote]

No they are not.... ::)...elite? NO...they are a good, well coached team..Elite? they are not...

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1175179" timestamp="1328829809"]
To quote Hamlet & WOSgrad, ME THINKS THE GENTLEMAN DOTH PROTEST TO LOUD....lol....No one I have seen has ever said any of that....your crazy dude....Nash didn't come up with this thread he was just defending it's fortitude. Chill out.
[/quote]

Im Chill, just dont agree that the claims made would be as easily done as mentioned ;) Me and Nash just seem to never agree.. Im catching the same disease Bluedove has..  ;D

SO again, HJ's beaten the top two teams in 20-4A by a combined 40 points, and also beaten the #3 team badly in a scrimmage, and the #4 team four separate times this season.  Worth noting that the best team in 20-4A also only beat the #3 team in 21-3A by two earlier in the year, and also that Nederland made their blowout loss to HJ slightly more respectable when HJ put their mop-up players in the game in the 4th.  Silsbee has a win against the #3 team in 20-4A, and has beaten Central 3 times in a row and Ozen 3 of the last 4 times they've played.  Why is it so silly to think that these two teams would have such a tough time transitioning into 20-4A and winning and taking second in that district this year?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1175178" timestamp="1328829729"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175172#msg1175172 date=1328829131]
speaking of elite, we're not going to put an elite tag on a team that's been to state twice, and regionals what 5 times, in the last 6 years?  that's 34-1 this year, and 8-0 against the local district a classification up, including two wins totalling nearly a 40-point margin against the best two teams in that district?  your bias is showing, and it's irrational.  the same argument can be made for silsbee.  they've been to regionals nearly every year in the past 5 or 6, and have represented our area at state.  they're not one of the elite local teams?  i guess you think it should be Nederland, because they're looking for a 3-peat in a district that hasn't been strong in 5 years?  you got it, then. [b] Nederland's the elite team in the area[/b], they just aren't as good as the two best teams in 21-3A, and if they had to play each team twice in district, they'd be lucky to pull out 1 win in the 4 games this year.
[/quote]

No they are not.... ::)...elite? NO...they are a good, well coached team..Elite? they are not...
[/quote] 

:-X  just trying to tell him what he wants to hear ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1175173" timestamp="1328829189"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95677.msg1175169#msg1175169 date=1328828977]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95677.msg1174216#msg1174216 date=1328710586]
[/quote]

A.) the level of play
D.) Style of play
E.) All the above.
[/quote]

E for 100 Alex..... 8)....It WAS the best HS game that I had seen in this area all season long, by far...3A HJ vs. Silsbee....WOW. :o
[/quote]

I know you enjoyed it...I loved the analysis you provided about what you would do to counteract adjustments made....and behold when they would come out they were doing just that...You are a "guru"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder