Interesting Question about district 20-4A

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175184" timestamp="1328830050"]
SO again, HJ's beaten the top two teams in 20-4A by a combined 40 points, and also beaten the #3 team badly in a scrimmage, and the #4 team four separate times this season.  Worth noting that the best team in 20-4A also only beat the #3 team in 21-3A by two earlier in the year, and also that Nederland made their blowout loss to HJ slightly more respectable when HJ put their mop-up players in the game in the 4th.  Silsbee has a win against the #3 team in 20-4A, and has beaten Central 3 times in a row and Ozen 3 of the last 4 times they've played.  Why is it so silly to think that these two teams would have such a tough time transitioning into 20-4A and winning and taking second in that district this year?
[/quote]

They would be good and towards the the top, but I dont want people assuming they would be first and second again just because it happens like a religion in their respective 3A district..

[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175185#msg1175185 date=1328830099]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95677.msg1175178#msg1175178 date=1328829729]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175172#msg1175172 date=1328829131]
speaking of elite, we're not going to put an elite tag on a team that's been to state twice, and regionals what 5 times, in the last 6 years?  that's 34-1 this year, and 8-0 against the local district a classification up, including two wins totalling nearly a 40-point margin against the best two teams in that district?  your bias is showing, and it's irrational.  the same argument can be made for silsbee.  they've been to regionals nearly every year in the past 5 or 6, and have represented our area at state.  they're not one of the elite local teams?  i guess you think it should be Nederland, because they're looking for a 3-peat in a district that hasn't been strong in 5 years?  you got it, then. [b] Nederland's the elite team in the area[/b], they just aren't as good as the two best teams in 21-3A, and if they had to play each team twice in district, they'd be lucky to pull out 1 win in the 4 games this year.
[/quote]

No they are not.... ::)...elite? NO...they are a good, well coached team..Elite? they are not...
[/quote] 

:-X  just trying to tell him what he wants to hear ;)
[/quote]

::) Nederland aint Elite.. No way.. But if you "think" thats what I want to hear, go ahead ???

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1175186" timestamp="1328830437"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95677.msg1175173#msg1175173 date=1328829189]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95677.msg1175169#msg1175169 date=1328828977]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95677.msg1174216#msg1174216 date=1328710586]
Had this convo the other night....If you dropped Hardin Jefferson and Silsbee in district 20-4A, where would they finish THIS SEASON? I have a pretty good idea that this will hurt some egos on here, but its just a "hypothetical" scenario...Think about the head to head competitions here with those two 3A programs... 8)...my pick: They would finish 1 and 2... ;)...What do you guys think?
[/quote]

I cant help but agree with this post D, You have seen a lot of basketball, a lot more teams than me, and I know how you felt about the HJ/Silsbee match up, because you told me. "It's a college environment game" as you said. Also you said that "it was the BEST game you had seen all year." now the question remains, was it the best because of;

A.) the level of play
B.) the coaching adjustments
C.) Wild crazy passionate fans
D.) Style of play
E.) All the above.
[/quote]

E for 100 Alex..... 8)....It WAS the best HS game that I had seen in this area all season long, by far...3A HJ vs. Silsbee....WOW. :o
[/quote]

I know you enjoyed it...I loved the analysis you provided about what you would do to counteract adjustments made....and behold when they would come out they were doing just that...You are a "guru"
[/quote]

Thanks... 8) I'm no guru (well maybe I am on here  :D)...I have had some unbelievable teachers though!!  ;D...I'm simply a basketball coach, turned business owner, and next season, I will be BOTH!  ;)....In the words of Bart Scott...CAN'T WAIT! 8)

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175191" timestamp="1328831156"]
Its also kinda funny how Silsbee fans arent trying to make a case for dominance like a few of you guys are.. :D Seem to be getting responses from HJ people
[/quote]

actually, AAW did make the case for Silsbee dominance.  and there are only two HJ people on here doing the same for HJ.  It's also kinda funny that you keep ignoring the fact that HJ beat the crap out of the two best teams in 20-4A this year, and Silsbee beat the #3 team.  Yes, those two teams would be "near the top", because at the top is "near the top".

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175196" timestamp="1328831773"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175191#msg1175191 date=1328831156]
Its also kinda funny how Silsbee fans arent trying to make a case for dominance like a few of you guys are.. :D Seem to be getting responses from HJ people
[/quote]

actually, AAW did make the case for Silsbee dominance.  and there are only two HJ people on here doing the same for HJ.  It's also kinda funny that you keep ignoring the fact that HJ beat the crap out of the two best teams in 20-4A this year, and Silsbee beat the #3 team.  Yes, those two teams would be "near the top", because at the top is "near the top".
[/quote]

NOBODY said HJ was a world beater.  But there are plenty who are unwilling to take the attempted discrediting of a good team without making their opinion(s) known.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1175199" timestamp="1328832037"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175196#msg1175196 date=1328831773]
[/quote]

[/quote]

NOBODY said HJ was a world beater.  But there are plenty who are unwilling to take the attempted discrediting of a good team without making their opinion(s) known.
[/quote]

or in this case, two teams, who have shown through their dominance of 20-4A THIS YEAR that they would finish 1-2 there THIS YEAR. 

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175196" timestamp="1328831773"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright buddy, I think you dont seem to get it.. I will again give the credit to HJ and Silsbee for defeating the best teams 20-4A has to offer.. I Only take offense to people assuming the dominance would be the same in this district, just because your record from your 3A district says you win lots of games.. Not buying it.. Competitive week-in and week-out, unlike you guys, who pencil in the Silsbee game so you know when you have to get players ready to play basketball.. Not saying I know everything or that I know more than the other guy, just making an opinion and adding a thought that some might want to consider

Competitive week in and week out may not be accurate this year.  Other than Central and Nederland, I dont believe that district is particularly difficult this season.  Couple of leading teams have struggled with LCM-  HJ played them four times and the average margin is substantial.  THis is just a rare season where a couple of smaller schools have a leg up on some of the larger ones.  Is that permanent?  I wouldn't think so,  But it is pretty undeniably obvious this year to most.  DISCLAIMER:  I don't think that HJ or Silsbee are World Beaters and can win wherever they go-  They just happen to be the best in the Golden Triangle THIS year.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175207" timestamp="1328832450"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright buddy, I think you dont seem to get it.. I will again give the credit to HJ and Silsbee for defeating the best teams 20-4A has to offer.. I Only take offense to people assuming the dominance would be the same in this district, just because your record from your 3A district says you win lots of games.. Not buying it.. Competitive week-in and week-out, unlike you guys, who pencil in the Silsbee game so you know when you have to get players ready to play basketball.. Not saying I know everything or that I know more than the other guy, just making an opinion and adding a thought that some might want to consider
[/quote]

there's only three good teams in 20-4A, and 20-4A ISN'T THAT GOOD OF A 4A DISTRICT!  and HJ spanked Nederland and Central THIS YEAR.  WOS played Nederland very close.  HF isn't bad this year.  HJ and Silsbee just usually make them look bad.  20-4A isn't that much better than 21-3A on a whole.  and the bottom 3 of 20-4A are every bit as bad or worse than the bottom three of 21-3A, it's just that the top teams in 20-4A are more prone to playing closer games with them from time to time because THEY AREN'T as good as HJ or Silsbee THIS YEAR.  So there are three quality teams in 20-4A, and a couple of decent teams, and some very bad teams.  Realistically, Nederland should only have 2 games that are a threat for them to lose in each half of district.  For HJ it's 1 1/2, maybe, because WOS has shown from time to time they're capable of playing well against good teams.  I'm not seeing this huge advantage in quality top-to-bottom for 20-4A that you seem so hung up on.  I am, however seeing a huge advantage in the results in HJ and Silsbee vs. 20-4A THIS year.  Why that obvious advantage would not continue THIS YEAR if they were in the same district is beyond my understanding, but must be clear to you.  Oh yeah, that super-competitive district thing, right? 

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175207" timestamp="1328832450"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
With all of what you are saying taken into consideration, the fact remains that two 3A teams in 21-3A are just better than EVERY 4A team in the area right now...Quiet as its kept, POSSIBLY the two 5A teams as well....POSSIBLY...Here are the reasons: Hardin Jefferson has tradition, some good BASKETBALL players (not neccesarily just athletic), and are a well coached group that know how to win..Silsbee is the quickest team in the area, and they are also a group that plays in your face man defense, that MOST area teams just could not handle, and they are coached by a no nonsense old school guy in Sigler...Compared to the "top" 20-4A team in Nederland, they have ONE attribute in common...They have an outstanding head coach...How does Ozen compare? They HAD some good tradition going for them...what about Central? They have some athletes...HJ and Silsbee have a component that the other schools are sorely missing right now....PROGRAM...Coach English is building it, and right now its better than its ever been in Nederland...But honestly, it wasn't hard to top what had been done in Nederland's basketball history..Bottom line is, this is just a year of bad basketball as a whole in the upper (4A/5A) classifications...Ned is the best program of the big school bunch, but thats not saying much right now...is it?

Go look up results from some games in 20-4A where a team heavily favored had to squeak out a win.. I bet I can tell you the reason for that one, Looking past the opponent!

I never said I didnt agree with anyone out there about HJ and Silsbee finishing 1,2 in 20-4A IF they were there.. All I wanted to make known is that the success from 3A wouldnt make them automatic winners.. Teams learn how to play of press from game-time reps against it, and I know teams in this district would find the ways around it, and make HJ or Silsbee beat you in the Half-court.. The biggest reason for the success for HJ and Silsbee is the press.. They dont have to have to have great players, but the right ones to run the system.. Can u agree on that?

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175218" timestamp="1328833917"]
Go look up results from some games in 20-4A where a team heavily favored had to squeak out a win.. I bet I can tell you the reason for that one, Looking past the opponent!

I never said I didnt agree with anyone out there about HJ and Silsbee finishing 1,2 in 20-4A IF they were there.. All I wanted to make known is that the success from 3A wouldnt make them automatic winners.. Teams learn how to play of press from game-time reps against it, and I know teams in this district would find the ways around it, and make HJ or Silsbee beat you in the Half-court.. The biggest reason for the success for HJ and Silsbee is the press.. They dont have to have to have great players, but the right ones to run the system.. Can u agree on that?
[/quote]

Dogs, HJ really does not press THAT much....YATES presses you from the time you get off the bus...HJ spot presses...that means its just a feel from the sideline when to apply some heat (pressure)..Silsbee is in your face man..They (Silsbee) are really too SMALL to be stretched out over 90 feet with no shot blocker, or post defense in the frontcourt...They scrap you to death and get tips while chasing...they are SO fast!! If they play Nederland or Central or Ozen 10 times this season, HJ and Silsbee wins 8 of 10...EASY...against all three of these teams. Sad but true.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175218" timestamp="1328833917"]

[/quote]

I believe HJ wins the game played on nov 21 with or without a press.  And there are a number of teams who have faced those same presses many times and still didnt handle it well.  I repeat that the adjustment theory is a two way street.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175210" timestamp="1328833189"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175207#msg1175207 date=1328832450]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright buddy, I think you dont seem to get it.. I will again give the credit
to HJ and Silsbee for defeating the best teams 20-4A has to offer.. I Only take offense to people assuming the dominance would be the same in this district, just because your record from your 3A district says you win lots of games.. Not buying it.. Competitive week-in and week-out, unlike you guys, who pencil in the Silsbee game so you know when you have to get players ready to play basketball.. Not saying I know everything or that I know more than the other guy, just making an opinion and adding a thought that some might want to consider
[/quote]

there's only three good teams in 20-4A, and 20-4A ISN'T THAT GOOD OF
A 4A DISTRICT!  and HJ spanked Nederland and Central THIS YEAR.  [b]WOS played Nederland very close[/b].  HF isn't bad this year.  HJ and Silsbee just usually make them look bad.  20-4A isn't that much better than 21-3A on a whole.  and the bottom 3 of 20-4A are every bit as bad or worse than the bottom three of 21-3A, it's just that the top teams in 20-4A are more prone to playing closer games with them from time to time because THEY AREN'T as good as HJ or Silsbee THIS YEAR.  So there are three quality teams in 20-4A, and a couple of decent teams, and some very bad teams.  Realistically, Nederland should only have 2
games that are a threat for them to lose in each half of district.  For HJ it's 1 1/2, maybe, because WOS has shown from time to time they're capable of playing well against good teams.  I'm not seeing this huge advantage in quality top-to-bottom for 20-4A that you seem so hung up on.  I am, however seeing a huge advantage in the results in HJ and Silsbee vs. 20-4A THIS year.  Why that obvious advantage would not continue THIS YEAR if they were in the same district is beyond my understanding, but must be clear to you.  Oh yeah, that super-competitive district thing, right?
[/quote]
Nederland beat WO-S by 12, 30, and 2. They dominated in two of the games, and won on a last second shot when they last met. I think this topic is silly, but just thought some statements needed to be clarified.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1175191" timestamp="1328831156"]
[/quote]Dog, you were real quick to point out last year how "not so good" HJ was, simply because Nederland beat them last year.  Well, does that mean the shoe is on the other foot?

HJ beat Nederland pretty badly during the same part of the season.  [u][b]By your reasoning[/b][/u], what kind of a case do you have the Nederland shouldn't be 3rd?

After looking at this year's results, here is my two cents:

1. HJ would prob win this silly make believe district.

2. Silsbee, Nederland, and Central would all battle for 2nd. I came to this conclusion based on the fact that:

-All 3 have defeated: HF, WO-S, PNG, and Ozen (Central is 3-1 against them), sorry Dickie, just the facts!  :-\
-Silsbee beat HYCA, and HYCA beat Central.
-Central beat Ned twice, Ned won one against Central.
-Nederland beat Baytown Sterling, Baytown Sterling beat Silsbee
-Central beat WB, WB beat Ned, and Silsbee went 1-1 against WB
-Ned beat Memorial twice, Central went 1-1 against them
-Ned beat Hightower, HT beat Central twice

These 3 teams seem to be even, and would probably split By winning at home.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1175227" timestamp="1328836131"]
[/quote]Dog, you were real quick to point out last year how "not so good" HJ was, simply because Nederland beat them last year.  Well, does that mean the shoe is on the other foot?

HJ beat Nederland pretty badly during the same part of the season.  [u][b]By your reasoning[/b][/u], what kind of a case do you have the Nederland shouldn't be 3rd?

[/quote]

HJ was going to be better this year.. But you are right, same situation here just different foot ;) Im sure Nederland would compete better than first advertised.. Teams pull it together better for District games, and I think they would challenge for first or second.. But im done with this thread unless something else gets said off-the-wall ;)

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1175222" timestamp="1328834833"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175210#msg1175210 date=1328833189]
[/quote]

[/quote]

to HJ and Silsbee for defeating the best teams 20-4A has to offer.. I Only take offense to people assuming the dominance would be the same in this district, just because your record from your 3A district says you win lots of games.. Not buying it.. Competitive week-in and week-out, unlike you guys, who pencil in the Silsbee game so you know when you have to get players ready to play basketball.. Not saying I know everything or that I know more than the other guy, just making an opinion and adding a thought that some might want to consider
[/quote]

A 4A DISTRICT!  and HJ spanked Nederland and Central THIS YEAR.  [b]WOS played Nederland very close[/b].  HF isn't bad this year.  HJ and Silsbee just usually make them look bad.  20-4A isn't that much better than 21-3A on a whole.  and the bottom 3 of 20-4A are every bit as bad or worse than the bottom three of 21-3A, it's just that the top teams in 20-4A are more prone to playing closer games with them from time to time because THEY AREN'T as good as HJ or Silsbee THIS YEAR.  So there are three quality teams in 20-4A, and a couple of decent teams, and some very bad teams.  Realistically, Nederland should only have 2
games that are a threat for them to lose in each half of district.  For HJ it's 1 1/2, maybe, because WOS has shown from time to time they're capable of playing well against good teams.  I'm not seeing this huge advantage in quality top-to-bottom for 20-4A that you seem so hung up on.  I am, however seeing a huge advantage in the results in HJ and Silsbee vs. 20-4A THIS year.  Why that obvious advantage would not continue THIS YEAR if they were in the same district is beyond my understanding, but must be clear to you.  Oh yeah, that super-competitive district thing, right?
[/quote]
Nederland beat WO-S by 12, 30, and 2. They dominated in two of the games, and won on a last second shot when they last met. I think this topic is silly, but just thought some statements needed to be clarified.
[/quote]

so one good win out of three attempts?  a 12 point win against the 3rd or maybe 4th best team in the local 3A district is not much of a win, IMO.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1174975" timestamp="1328806832"]
If Silsbee were to play Nederland, Ozen, or Central the way they played their two games against HF or their two games against WOS, then yes indeed, they would have lost several of those games.

But also, bear in mind, although HJ beat Nederland and Central, I was hazard to guess that Nederland and Central have improved much more since those earlier games than HJ has.  Those games would be neck and neck if played during district.
[/quote]

you are partially right, but you would have to at least throw out the second WOS game from this and maybe the first HF game.  Silsbee played real well at WOS leading by 24 at halftime and winning by about the same margin.  Had a 30 pt lead and put subs in briefly reducing the lead.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1175228" timestamp="1328836131"]

2. Silsbee, Nederland, and Central would all battle for 2nd. I came to this conclusion based on the fact that:

-All 3 have defeated: HF, WO-S, PNG, and Ozen (Central is 3-1 against them), sorry Dickie, just the facts!  :-\

These 3 teams seem to be even, and would probably split By winning at home.
[/quote]

i think this is a reasonable assessment, but seeing HJ struggle with Silsbee twice, i honestly believe that Silsbee would finish 2nd.

There is something about HJ's and Silsbee's press that I'm always floored by.  When I played (no, we weren't STILL using peach baskets!) we pressed all game long.  We were pressed by teams like HJ and a few others.

But nobody was able to press on a missed shot.  The only time you could do a full court press was on a made shot.  I always marvel when I see teams get the rebound, turn around, and are staring into the teeth of a full court press.

Of course, the answer to that would be, kick the ball out and get it up the court BEFORE they can set up the Press.  I'm not sure why I don't see that done today.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1175243" timestamp="1328837517"]
There is something about HJ's and Silsbee's press that I'm always floored by.  When I played (no, we weren't STILL using peach baskets!) we pressed all game long.  We were pressed by teams like HJ and a few others.

But nobody was able to press on a missed shot.  The only time you could do a full court press was on a made shot.  I always marvel when I see teams get the rebound, turn around, and are staring into the teeth of a full court press.

Of course, the answer to that would be, kick the ball out and get it up the court BEFORE they can set up the Press.  I'm not sure why I don't see that done today.
[/quote]

IF the team gets too preoccupied trying to get players up the court, they're gonna get burned by HJ and Silsbee on the offensive end if guys starting cheating back the other way.  Just my opinion.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175239" timestamp="1328837335"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=95677.msg1175222#msg1175222 date=1328834833]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=95677.msg1175210#msg1175210 date=1328833189]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=95677.msg1175191#msg1175191
date=1328831156]
[/quote]

actually, AAW did make the case for Silsbee dominance.  and there are only two HJ people on here doing the same for HJ.  It's also kinda funny
that you keep ignoring the fact that HJ beat the crap out of the two best teams in 20-4A this year, and Silsbee beat the #3 team.  Yes, those two teams would be "near the top", because at the top is "near the top".
[/quote]

to HJ and Silsbee for defeating the best teams 20-4A has to offer.. I Only take offense to people assuming the dominance would be the same in
this district, just because your record from your 3A district says you win lots of games.. Not buying it.. Competitive week-in and week-out, unlike you guys, who pencil in the Silsbee game so you know when you have to get players ready to play basketball.. Not saying I know everything or that I know more than the other guy, just making an opinion and adding a thought that some might want to consider
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

so one good win out of three attempts?  a 12 point win against the 3rd or maybe 4th best team in the local 3A district is not much of a win, IMO.
[/quote]
Funny how you choose to discuss the 12 point win, but not the 30 point win? Ned led the 1st game by as much as 25, and the 2nd as much as 37.
Either way, a win is a win, and every reasonable person I hear who state their opinion on this site says the same. Nederland never has (under Coach E) won by a lot, and they never will. Nederland has enough players to play everyone in blowouts. I realize smaller schools may only have 9-10 players, but when Ned gets a lead, Coach E tries to get as many kids as much PT as possible. Nederland does not press, so it's doubtful that we will ever break 100. I think we scored 80+ a few times last year, and maybe once this year. One game we had 48 at half, but only finished in the low 70s. If you're looking for a sexy win, Nederland is not the team, but I like our chances against anyone in the area. Anyone who has a good team can sneak up and win on any given night.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175242" timestamp="1328837450"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=95677.msg1175228#msg1175228 date=1328836131]

-All 3 have defeated: HF, WO-S, PNG, and Ozen (Central is 3-1 against
them), sorry Dickie, just the facts!  :-\

These 3 teams seem to be even, and would probably split By winning at
home.
[/quote]

i think this is a reasonable assessment, but [b]seeing HJ struggle with Silsbee twice[/b], i honestly believe that Silsbee would finish 2nd.
[/quote]
How is this relevant? Nederland struggles with PNG all the time, bc we are rivals. We have not lost to them in 6 years or so, but 6 of the last 8 games were won by 5 or less. Central beat Ozen 3 times this year, but Ozen won the last meeting. I would guess that has a lot to do with their games being a rival. Silsbee and HJ are rivals in their district, hence HJ 'struggled' with them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476