Freshman

TLB0

Hammerhead, I failed a class when I was a sophomore,(being a stubborn kid) and made the team also. When I became eligible I got to start playing games. Whether or not a kid is passing or failing, will not determine if he makes the team at tryouts. The BEST kids will make the team. If they are failing, maybe it will be a wakeup call, like it was to me. I went on to play baseball 7 years after I graduated high school. If your kid is a freshman and got cut, he should use this experience to work harder at becoming a better ball player, Michael Jordan did.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story eagle, thats awesome! congrats and good luck this year

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1169601" timestamp="1328108695"]
[quote author=hammer head link=topic=95103.msg1168901#msg1168901 date=1328055477]
PNG Freshman [b]team had there cut today, several good players were cut that are passing[/b], but were told they were to short. Since when did your size matter in Baseball. Also there are 8 players that made the team that are failing at this time. Im not sure how "no pass no play reads but you can bet when i talk to the UIL they will be able to clear it up. There are some that couldnt play basketball due to grades and now here we are in baseball season. I hope the PNG coaches start a player that is failing, we will love to see that. Freshman that will be on Varsity, **deleted**

**Mod edit**  This is not the place to post heresay about specific kids grades.  Please remember you are talking about 14-18 year old kids here.  Consider this your 1st warning
[/quote]

Getting cut as a freshmen might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Mine was cut as a freshman, (southpaw pitcher no-less). Rained the week of tryouts and coaches didn't even see him throw. Went home and taped that days' date on his bedroom door and hasn't quit working his tail off since. Senior in college, weekend starter, has paid for about 85% of his college education, and if healthy, will be drafted June 4th. Playing with a chip on your shoulder and out to prove folks wrong, can sometimes really elevate your game.
Just my "glass half-full" story.  ;)
[/quote]

[quote name="joebob" post="1169836" timestamp="1328125720"]
Great story eagle, thats awesome! congrats and good luck this year

[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=95103.msg1169601#msg1169601 date=1328108695]
[quote author=hammer head link=topic=95103.msg1168901#msg1168901 date=1328055477]
PNG Freshman [b]team had there cut today, several good players were cut that are passing[/b], but were told they were to short. Since when did your size matter in Baseball. Also there are 8 players that made the team that are failing at this time. Im not sure how "no pass no play reads but you can bet when i talk to the UIL they will be able to clear it up. There are some that couldnt play basketball due to grades and now here we are in baseball season. I hope the PNG coaches start a player that is failing, we will love to see that. Freshman that will be on Varsity, **deleted**

**Mod edit**  This is not the place to post heresay about specific kids grades.  Please remember you are talking about 14-18 year old kids here.  Consider this your 1st warning
[/quote]

Getting cut as a freshmen might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Mine was cut as a freshman, (southpaw pitcher no-less). Rained the week of tryouts and coaches didn't even see him throw. Went home and taped that days' date on his bedroom door and hasn't quit working his tail off since. Senior in college, weekend starter, has paid for about 85% of his college education, and if healthy, will be drafted June 4th. Playing with a chip on your shoulder and out to prove folks wrong, can sometimes really elevate your game.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

[quote name="hammer head" post="1168957" timestamp="1328057971"]
Im sorry i was just responding to Half Indian/Wildcat when he spoke of the grades for (his son). My child didnt try out for the team but i several of my friends kids that did and didn't make it. Maybe the kids parents that didnt make the team should try to get the job of the voice of the PNG Indians, or mow the coaches grass or what ever the others do to be a shineing star for the district.
[/quote]Wow! ! !  Really? If that was the case then why did the older son of the "voice of PNG" not have a starting position in football when he was as good as some of the starters? I heard nothing but good stuff about the younger brother, Sounds to me like a upset dad-e or mom-e because little Billy did not get to play 1st base back in t-ball, or did not make "allstars".... Congrats to you A  M, I know you will have a awesome year!

[/quote]

[/quote]getting cut as a freshman is not a death sentence. at least he can play babe ruth ball and work on his game like stated here. if you don't make it as a sophmore, you're pretty much at the end of the line. if you're borderline making the team as a freshman on the sophmore team you're probably not going to get much playing time anyway. i would use this as a learning tool. high school is sometimes the first time a kid has ever had to deal with getting cut. even in select if you don't make a team, you just move on to the next. i'm probably showing my age, but when i was a kid, little league tryouts were just that....tryouts...not everyone made a team. kids today sometimes EXPECT things to be given to them. this could be...as i stated before...a great learning experience...and as eagle stated...great motivation.

I agree spoonbill, biggest problem today is that kids are given everything instead of having to earn it. Then they get to the high school level or even sometimes at their first job and cant understand why they get cut or fired for not working hard. Its sad really, parents think they are protecting their kids by keeping them from heartache early but in reality thats how you learn and grow stronger. Instead by delaying that process it just makes it worse and sometimes creates an adult that is worthless and blaming others their whole life.

I have been foloowing this thread for a couple of days and a few things seem to jump out.

1. Every year there is a ton of "hype" about 1 or 2 freshmen who are just going to step right in and begin dominating the varsity competition. Not saying that it can't happen but usually it doesn't. Be patient and give these young guys a chance to catch up to the speed of the game, they have plenty of time to make their mark.

2. Just because a talented Freshman doesn't make the varsity doesn't mean they were not good enough. Take for example teams like Nederland, Barbers Hill, Bridge City, and others who are loaded with returning talent. It would be an amazing accomplishment for a freshman to crack the lineup and get significant playing time. In other years when the talent pool is not so deep then the opportunity for a freshman to be a factor on the varsity is much greater. Different situations and different circumstances. There will be plenty of time and it's not the end of the world.

3. Another factor that most parents don't take into consideration is the fact that the high school coaches are getting their first introdutions to these players. Select coaches and parents have had the pleasure of watching these young men play tons of games so their knowledge of what each player is capable of is far greater than a high school coach who sees them for 2 tryouts. If parents will be patient you would be surprised to see that it won't take the coaches very long to figure out who can play and who can't. I've seen a whole stand full of parents turn to look at one another and ask a question like " he's got "little Billy" hitting lead off?" After a few at bats and a game or two "little Billy" ends up farther down the order where he belongs, it almost always happens like that. Give the coahes a chance.

4. And last but certainly not least. It's been mentioned in an earlier post and it has to be some of the most useful and level headed wisdom out there. Making the varsity and not playing is NOT the way to go, period. Play a lower level and get on the field, improve your skills, and be ready when your time comes.

Good luck to all the local players, parents, and coaches. Have a great season!

Rake1

You make some very good points Rake but I think most people here were just responding to the question that opened this thread. It asked if anybody had any upcoming freshman that "may" make the varsity squad or significantly contribute to their respective team. Whether they actually make it and whether that is a good or bad thing is an entirely different question. I was really interested in who are the new, incoming ball players considered to be the best at their school. Sometimes these threads lose focus.

Guest hottestbats
These kinds of things happen when a daddy get's on a board to over-hype his son. In this case daddy thinks his son is more than he really is. Grades are not what is keeping a kid off of the varsity because grades go in Friday.Parent's can ruin their kid's way of thinking and this parent has done this. The best thing a parent can do is provide everything within their means that can help their child become as good as they can be. Also constantly preach working hard and everything else will fall into place. Daddy can tell the coaches and everyone else that will listen how good little Johnny is but eventually he has to show the coaches he can play because these coaches jobs depend on putting the best 9 on the field. Some parents seem to think that since they donated a little money to the booster club that their son should be on varsity. Sometimes a target is put on a kid's back because of their parent's mouth running too much. And then when everyone gets to see the kid tryout or play then it is a big letdown and people start downing the kid for not being what the daddy has built him up to be. It is hard enough as a freshman, much less to have the burden of being over-hyped. Most freshman are just not as strong,fast, or as coordinated as upper-classmen. Sit back and encourage them to keep working hard towards their goals and good things will happen. I have coached youth sports for about 40 years and the hardest workers normally succeed on the field and in the game of life.

[quote name="bullwinkle" post="1170605" timestamp="1328210097"]
These kinds of things happen when a daddy get's on a board to over-hype his son. In this case daddy thinks his son is more than he really is. Grades are not what is keeping a kid off of the varsity because grades go in Friday.Parent's can ruin their kid's way of thinking and this parent has done this. The best thing a parent can do is provide everything within their means that can help their child become as good as they can be. Also constantly preach working hard and everything else will fall into place. Daddy can tell the coaches and everyone else that will listen how good little Johnny is but eventually he has to show the coaches he can play because these coaches jobs depend on putting the best 9 on the field. Some parents seem to think that since they donated a little money to the booster club that their son should be on varsity. Sometimes a target is put on a kid's back because of their parent's mouth running too much. And then when everyone gets to see the kid tryout or play then it is a big letdown and people start downing the kid for not being what the daddy has built him up to be. It is hard enough as a freshman, much less to have the burden of being over-hyped. Most freshman are just not as strong,fast, or as coordinated as upper-classmen. Sit back and encourage them to keep working hard towards their goals and good things will happen. I have coached youth sports for about 40 years and [b]the hardest workers normally succeed on the field and in the game of life.[/b][/quote]

With out a doubt.

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes sir....good post

Guest sportsmack
Austin Marshall came in behind Senior Colby Price last night in the HJ / Koutze scrimmage and looked very good.  His velocity was just under Price and had good control.  He seemed to handle himself well.  I will enjoy following this kid.

My son has been playing with lots of good area talent since they were 9 - 10 in the local select circuit.  This year he is a freshm and and I believe there are a lot of talented freshman who we will see as standouts.  It will be fun to see them begin to shine in H.S. ball this year.  Good luck to them ALL!!!

Last night my beloved Bruins fell 8-6 to a good looking PNG team. We saw three outstanding freshmen battle it out. Shane Selman and Devon Roedahl from West Brook were outstanding. Selman played center and pitched. Did a great job and looked very good at the plate with 2 base hits. Roedahl played first, pitched and caught. This kid has as good of an arm as any catcher in the district. Ky Walker from PNG was also outstanding. He played shortstop, left field and pitched. The kid has a curveball from he#*! He hit the ball hard all 4 trips to the plate and had 2 RBI's. Congratulations to these young men on a great performance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder