Ozen/LaMarque Brawl...

I have to agree with alot of others on this. The cops were doing their jobs, hands down, no arguement there. Tempers flare and situations get heated when it comes to any post season event, no matter the sport or age group. I'm a select baseball umpire have seen many situations were a post game handshake is not done for the best interest of the players safety. As far as officiating this season, it was below par in all games, just my opinion. I think there were a lot of penalties that were not called which should have been. Again, as a sports official I do understand that you cannot possibly see everthing that is happening on the playing field but some of this was blatant and happened right in front of the officials.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bdblm97" post="1133294" timestamp="1322449145"]
[quote author=cougartino link=topic=92276.msg1132276#msg1132276 date=1322361512]
[color=red][size=36pt][b]18 - 6 [/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

[size=14pt][b]RETWEET[/b][/size] LOL...THERE ARE A LOT OF[b] [size=10pt]SORE LOSERS[/size][/b] ON THIS BOARD...TELL EM' TO GET EM' SOME FLAGS TINO
[/quote]

What's that phrase you use? Oh yeah, their PP is hurt.  :)
(PP = personal pride)

[quote name="vp32" post="1132885" timestamp="1322418104"]
[quote author=BWOOD link=topic=92276.msg1132452#msg1132452 date=1322366349]
I talked to a local school district police chief.  He said that school district policy states that the only way event officers would get involved in a "on field" fight, before, during or after a game, between uniformed players is if the coach, administrator, superintendent or any other school official ordered the police officers to intervene.  He said that it is the responsibility of the coaches to control or intervene in any incidents involving players.
[/quote]
Weather yall want to agree with BWOOD or not he has stated the rules. Yes they may not be morally right in your eyes and everyone may not agree with them but they are the rules regardless. The question is did the Cops wait for the permission. If they did not then they need to be dealt with. Plain and simple. And to all of yall that are gonna say if the cops hadn't gotten involved and someone would've gotten hurt then everyone would be saying something different, We don't know that because it didn't happen.
[/quote]

you want to know what is plain and simple?  Law Enforcement does not need administration permission to step in and stop the fight. 

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1132565" timestamp="1322372401"]
The LM fans that are trying to claim they don't have a history of this are being dishonest.
Everyone knows that LM has a group of kids that are more likely than a lot of teams to get into fights.

A different coach will not help that.  The players are a product of their upbringing.
Heck, Baytown Lee has some of that same stuff and I'm a Lee fan.  So does Galveston Ball.

Some teams just have a higher propensity for getting into a brawl.
LM is one of those teams.

It's like a Miami Hurricane fan claiming to be ignorant when someone claims that the Hurricanes have a history of dirty play.
It's not an indictment of the whole town or community.  It just is what it is.
[/quote]

I guess the open nature of the internet is overall good, but then you have the ability to have people like this Panama guy spew stupidity. I am close to both situations this clueless one talks about. Friendswood and LM are not best friends, but I can tell you this - I have never ever seen issues with LM like I did versus certain Golden Triangle teams in over 25 years of playing LM with my kids and my families kids. We have never had the issues with LM that you folks are claiming, and to the guy from Dayton claiming the coaches wanted to break an arm, yeah I am with cougartino - I heard a Dayton coach say the same thing - we equal now? And a guy who would make a blanket statement that the Canes play dirty should be your first indication of a blow hard.  Folks - emotions have taken charge here - it was a volatile situation that went out of control - not an indictment of both programs. GEt a grip

ok people lets not kid our selves. We can point fingers at the ozen players, but lets look at the reputation of the la marrque school and its district. Earlier this year their volleyball players we caught robbing at bunch of dancers blind. smh. just google the school district, its a muck over their. That community is going down and the enrollment numbers are droppng. Football is all the little town has going for its self. Even when i was school back in 2006, those boys were just all around dirty players. A school with no discipline. Their players dont even attend class.Im not surprised that happend. Dont hang your heads down Ozen, Manvel will defenitly put them in thier place.

Well, folks can point fingers at each other, but the final analysis is that neither team acted in an appropriate manner (Coach Jackson and Coach Nelson have acknowledged that) and school officials from both schools need to take a hard look at this.

I still think the last brawl could have been avoided by forgoing the handshake and getting the teams to their respective lockers.  I don't know what the powers that be were thinking...my bet is if you ask them, they will admit they weren't.

[quote name="Z04AEA" post="1133425" timestamp="1322486633"]
ok people lets not kid our selves. We can point fingers at the ozen players, but lets look at the reputation of the la marrque school and its district. Earlier this year their volleyball players we caught robbing at bunch of dancers blind. smh. just google the school district, its a muck over their. That community is going down and the enrollment numbers are droppng. Football is all the little town has going for its self. Even when i was school back in 2006, those boys were just all around dirty players. A school with no discipline. Their players dont even attend class.Im not surprised that happend. Dont hang your heads down Ozen, Manvel will defenitly put them in thier place.
[/quote]on the money with that one--the folks who can get the heck out of there are doing so and that leaves...............

Guest UHCoog14
Baytown PD Report:

REPORT NUMBER:    2011-45515                                    REPORT DATE/TIME: Sat, Nov-26-2011 (17:09)

OFFENSE DATE/TIME: Sat, Nov-26-11 (17:09)

OFFENSE(S):        GENERAL INFORMATION REPORTS

OFFENSE LOCATION:  2208 E ARCHER RD

OFFICER(S):        CONEJO G 034 PATROL SERGEANT

BUSINESS(ES):      PREMISE  STALLWORTH  STADIUM

CASE SUMMARY:      CASE SYNOPSIS...AT THE CONCLUSION OF A HIGHSCHOOL PLAYOFF SPORTING EVENT, A LARGE FIGHT ERUPTED BETWEEN THE TWO OPPOSING TEAMS THAT LEAD TO RIOT CONDITIONS WITHIN THE STADIUM IN THE 2200 BLK OF E. ARCHER RD... END OF SYNOPSIS.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1133435" timestamp="1322488169"]
Baytown PD Report:

REPORT NUMBER:    2011-45515                                    REPORT DATE/TIME: Sat, Nov-26-2011 (17:09)

OFFENSE DATE/TIME: Sat, Nov-26-11 (17:09)

OFFENSE(S):        GENERAL INFORMATION REPORTS

OFFENSE LOCATION:  2208 E ARCHER RD

OFFICER(S):        CONEJO G 034 PATROL SERGEANT

BUSINESS(ES):      PREMISE  STALLWORTH  STADIUM

CASE SUMMARY:      CASE SYNOPSIS...AT THE CONCLUSION OF A HIGHSCHOOL PLAYOFF SPORTING EVENT, A LARGE FIGHT ERUPTED BETWEEN THE TWO OPPOSING TEAMS THAT LEAD TO RIOT CONDITIONS WITHIN THE STADIUM IN THE 2200 BLK OF E. ARCHER RD... END OF SYNOPSIS.
[/quote]OUCHY!!

there is no hate. at the end of the day. the reputation of your district and students percieves its self. i went and played college football along side some lamarque players. and the lack of discipline is appauling. either that or they were failing their classes. you guys should be more concerned with getting your kids across the stage and prepared for the college level. cause its seems that once they hit college, the cougars drop like flies. Why do you think all of the really good players have moved to dickinson or texas city. its because at the end of the day, the school and the district just arent cutting it

PearOrchardPanther01 Oh my dear I really do feel your pain, but to report that one-sided story of yours is just delusional.  I would expect that type of behavior from children but not from adults.  I was at the game and I did not hear any trash talking from La Marque (not saying there wasn't any, but I didn't hear it).  After the very first play of the game, I saw an Ozen player push a La Marque player when the play was over and the immediately put his hands in the air as if to say I did not do anything wrong.  No penalty was called.  This continued throughout the entire game as you (and UIL) will see when you review the game.  I repeat, Ozen were the aggressors the entire game.  The Ozen coaching staff did nothing to stop the unsportsman like behavior.  They knew that they were going to loose the game and would just use that same old so called "reputation" line.  La Marque has played all season and through the second round of the playoffs without incident.  Shame on everyone who has posted on this board and citing "reputation".  The officials also did nothing to prevent the brawl.  No penalties were called the entire game and this gave the Ozen team the go ahead to keep pushing the La Marque players after the plays were clearly over.  La Marque has had the experience of the playoff season and would not display such petty behavior that could potentially end their playoff run.  I know that it was the intentions of the Ozen team to provoke La Marque into such a position so that they would be ejected from the playoffs.  I'm so glad for game tapes!!!  Now I must say that Ozen players did a very good job while they were actually playing the game.  They are really talented, especially the QB,  but the children need to be taught to be truthful and not to be sore loosers as all the adults there are teaching them.  Ozen should feel very accomplished to have made it to the playoffs and played a 24-4A Championship team such as the La Marque Cougars.  They should not be ashamed of the loss.  Hope to see Ozen next year.  Maybe they have learned how to behave in the playoffs and we will enjoy a much more sportsmanship like game.  P.S.  It really would help if the adults come to terms with the loss first.

[quote name="blundy" post="1133472" timestamp="1322493145"]
PearOrchardPanther01 Oh my dear I really do feel your pain, but to report that one-sided story of yours is just delusional.  I would expect that type of behavior from children but not from adults.  I was at the game and I did not hear any trash talking from La Marque (not saying there wasn't any, but I didn't hear it).  After the very first play of the game, I saw an Ozen player push a La Marque player when the play was over and the immediately put his hands in the air as if to say I did not do anything wrong.  No penalty was called.  This continued throughout the entire game as you (and UIL) will see when you review the game.  I repeat, Ozen were the aggressors the entire game.  The Ozen coaching staff did nothing to stop the unsportsman like behavior.  They knew that they were going to loose the game and would just use that same old so called "reputation" line.  La Marque has played all season and through the second round of the playoffs without incident.  Shame on everyone who has posted on this board and citing "reputation". [b] The officials also did nothing to prevent the brawl.  No penalties were called [/b] the entire game and this gave the Ozen team the go ahead to keep pushing the La Marque players after the plays were clearly over.  La Marque has had the experience of the playoff season and would not display such petty behavior that could potentially end their playoff run.  I know that it was the intentions of the Ozen team to provoke La Marque into such a position so that they would be ejected from the playoffs.  I'm so glad for game tapes!!!  Now I must say that Ozen players did a very good job while they were actually playing the game.  They are really talented, especially the QB,  but the children need to be taught to be truthful and not to be sore loosers as all the adults there are teaching them.  Ozen should feel very accomplished to have made it to the playoffs and played a 24-4A Championship team such as the La Marque Cougars.  They should not be ashamed of the loss.  Hope to see Ozen next year.  Maybe they have learned how to behave in the playoffs and we will enjoy a much more sportsmanship like game.  P.S.  It really would help if the adults come to terms with the loss first.
[/quote]

[quote name="cougar2011" post="1132171" timestamp="1322359688"]
[quote author=invictus link=topic=92276.msg1132140#msg1132140 date=1322358956]
[quote author=xLmCoog88 link=topic=92276.msg1132133#msg1132133 date=1322358679]
[quote author=cougar2011 link=topic=92276.msg1132050#msg1132050 date=1322356803]
[quote author=PearOrchardPanther01 link=topic=92276.msg1131996#msg1131996 date=1322355724]
Okay......I was there in the middle of the action. LaMarque was COMPLETELY CLASSLESS the ENTIRE game starting with the pre game warmups. Too much talking. I do realize I am an Ozen supporter and may seem biased, but it is what it is. I was on the Ozen sideline (as I've been every game) watching this unfold the entire contest. TOO MUCH TALKING from LaMarque. Too much extra activity after the plays were over. LaMarque you have a talented team. Honestly from what I saw of yall today I was disappointed.....1st in our play because this was NOT our best game. We could say it was the weather, which I think had a lot to do with it, but it is what it is. We lost. 2nd....your team was VERY undisciplined and were'nt being corrected for it. I think your team would finish 5th or worse in our district. You were NOT the best team we've seen all year. Not even 3rd best. BUT.....you won today. Congrats to you but you have left a VERY poor image of your program and players and we look forward to seeing you again next season...........bank on that. ;)
[/quote]
I'll say 2 things on this subject and i will leave it at that...
First, If la marque is so called "classes" for defending themselves when the reffs werent doing it, then i guess Ozen is just as classless. If you stay the whole game then you remember that after the hand shake... the leading la marque players went toward the right side (from both your and my angle) of the end zone, while the leading ozen players walked towards the left... Soo if the fight happened in the middle of the field, doesnt that mean that BOTH players had to have confronted eachother?? You cant be so blind as to not see that your team was just as wrong as mine...
Secondly, Any one of our top 3 teams of 24-4a can beat Ozen and we're #2. So how does that solidify us as a 5th place team in your district... You must be joking. Sounds to me like your just sucking on a lemon a little to hard, no offense. Sour losers never learn to be winners... remember that.
[/quote]

Don't bother wasting your breath because you aren't gonna get through to some folks over here especially Invictus because he's a whiner who trolls threads where Setx teams lose and instantly throws out the dirty adjective at all non Setx teams. As a matter of fact he accused Angleton of the same thing to such an extreme manner he got flagged by a moderator on the Ned/Angleton thread. Today he jumped on the Ozen/LM thread and stirred the pot there as well. He should really add "Jerry, Jerry" as his signature.

As for the other dirty, undisciplined remarks that seem to be branded on our program since it's inception that's crapola! It's called envy and poor sportsmanship and to be quite honest a few over here need to learn how to deal with losing because some seem to do it quite often when they play LM. Those are the very same folks who will get on here and yak it up next week on here if Manvel takes us down. You don't get to or win as many State Championships being an undisciplined team as talent alone won't get you there.
[/quote]

First of all, genius, I am not a he.  Secondly, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.  LaMarque is a dirty team and always has been.  Period.  It isn't something that can be denied.  Personal fouls.  Unsportsmanlike conduct.  Bench-clearing brawls.  Those are signs of a dirty, undisciplined team.  I didn't make that up myself.
[/quote]
It yells at other adults from far away, it gets mad at kids when it doesnt see something that satisfies it, and it never takes responsibility for it's actions.... What is it?? "well if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck".... it must be a BITTER OZEN fan. HA!! please...
[/quote]  EXACTLY!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1132148" timestamp="1322359169"]
I wasn't at the game (had to work, dang) so I don't have an opinion however, one thing I do know is the Beaumont Ozen Panthers are a class act: they don't play dirty football and they don't trash talk. Perhaps you should try praying togethor after games lamarque instead of acting like thugs. This is coming from a Vidor Pirate, you mess with one of us in SE Tex and you get us all.....
[/quote]  Wow, now thats CLASSY!

Good job Baytown PD! For those believing they were out of line, just imagine your child getting hit in the head by a helmet while a cop stood by and watched. Bet you'd have a different opinion then. And quit blaming the kids. I am a former MARINE of 10 years and served this country in two capaigns. Believe me when I say both of my sons are very well disciplined. But they too as well as anybody has a breaking point. The key is to remove one of the elements of a pending fire. This did not happen. The officials and coaches added the fuel to the fire by not controlling the situation that everyone saw comming. And why on earth would you want to proceed with the handshake is beyond me. That was like adding dynamite to the fire. Never the less, It happened, it's over, now let the appropriate officials take the neccessary actions. Ozen, you had a great season and Goodluck to LM in round 4.

[quote name="BWOOD" post="1132425" timestamp="1322365206"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=92276.msg1132242#msg1132242 date=1322360935]
Play with respect and you get respect, both teams are at fault and the police are their for everyone's protection, not just the crowd, if the players are not stopping when they are told they should be pepper sprayed, everyone wants to sue and say it's not my kids fault and that's the main problem these days, if your old enough to act like an idiot you should be treated like an idiot
[/quote]
I have to respectfully disagree with you.  The cops have no business in the field getting involved in fights between players.  This is the coaches, administrator’s job.  Look, I have no dog in this race, it just upsets me that the big bad cops get their taser’s, pepper spray and mace out and go to work on football players.  Great Job cops, you guys are on top of your game!
[/quote]  Would you like the cops to stand on the sideline, be bystanders, during a state of chaos and do nothing?  Who knows what type of injuries would have occurred had they not done their jobs.  They are they to protect everyone.  The cops are usually somewhere near or on the field after every game just for that reason.

The exercise of one side claiming to be blameless and labeling the other side as thugs, as was done here, if completely pointless.  I mean the local reporters one of whom I know and the other who I don't, who were at the same game, have reported completely different views of how and when things stated.  The truth, as it usually does, probably lies somewhere in the middle.  Regardless, the matter for assessing fault is in the hands of the respective administrations and, perhaps the UIL.  Everybody from La Marque should focus on their new current problem, the Manvel Mavericks.  Everybody from Ozen should reflect on a season that took the program to new levels.

And perhaps all of the adults here who have taken on the job of lecturing other adults should perhaps look at their words and see if those words are "adult" worthy.

[quote name="BWOOD" post="1132138" timestamp="1322358904"]
I'm going to say this.  It is not the cops job to mace football players.  The cops are there for crowd control and crowd control only.  If I was the parents of the ozen players the law suits should start.  It is the coach’s job to control the players.  This really P**** me off.  Ozen we support you and all of you guys are a class act and if there were some Beaumont ISD cops or Beaumont Police there and they mace the players, they should be fired and brought up on charges.
[/quote]

No BISD cops sprayed anything. 

[quote name="mfd814" post="1132164" timestamp="1322359581"]
LaMarque may have been deemed dirty for years....more then likely talked a lot of trash...as a lot of players do.  There are 2 sides to every story.  If the game is over...there should be no extra pushing and shoving....Ozen had a Great season, hate for it to end like this.  was it ozen or lamarque players that got maced, I have heard different vrsions.  I heard Ozen started the after game fight and LaMarqe got maced.    And I heard the opposite.
[/quote]

It was the opposite.  Ozen got pepper-sprayed. 

It was opposite.  Ozen was pepper-sprayed. 

[quote name="blundy" post="1133472" timestamp="1322493145"]
PearOrchardPanther01 Oh my dear I really do feel your pain, but to report that one-sided story of yours is just delusional.  I would expect that type of behavior from children but not from adults.  I was at the game and I did not hear any trash talking from La Marque (not saying there wasn't any, but I didn't hear it).  After the very first play of the game, I saw an Ozen player push a La Marque player when the play was over and the immediately put his hands in the air as if to say I did not do anything wrong.  No penalty was called.  This continued throughout the entire game as you (and UIL) will see when you review the game.  I repeat, Ozen were the aggressors the entire game.  The Ozen coaching staff did nothing to stop the unsportsman like behavior.  They knew that they were going to loose the game and would just use that same old so called "reputation" line.  La Marque has played all season and through the second round of the playoffs without incident.  Shame on everyone who has posted on this board and citing "reputation".  The officials also did nothing to prevent the brawl.  No penalties were called the entire game and this gave the Ozen team the go ahead to keep pushing the La Marque players after the plays were clearly over.  La Marque has had the experience of the playoff season and would not display such petty behavior that could potentially end their playoff run.  I know that it was the intentions of the Ozen team to provoke La Marque into such a position so that they would be ejected from the playoffs.  I'm so glad for game tapes!!!  Now I must say that Ozen players did a very good job while they were actually playing the game.  They are really talented, especially the QB,  but the children need to be taught to be truthful and not to be sore loosers as all the adults there are teaching them.  Ozen should feel very accomplished to have made it to the playoffs and played a 24-4A Championship team such as the La Marque Cougars.  They should not be ashamed of the loss.  Hope to see Ozen next year.  Maybe they have learned how to behave in the playoffs and we will enjoy a much more sportsmanship like game.  P.S.  It really would help if the adults come to terms with the loss first.
[/quote]
Blundy, I think that you are the one that's delusional here. Don't know when you created this log in but it looks like you did just in honor of this thread. I can't speak on LM but I heard some things from people that I didn't take with a grain of salt because I was not witness to it. But I can comment on what I did see Saturday - where were you when LM's player crossed the 50 yard line at pregame warm up to taunt one of Ozen's players while he was stretching, did you see where several coaches had to come and get him? Where were you when #14 from LM hit Ozen's receiver on Ozen's sideline late then started a fight which then led to LM clearing their sideline and rushing to Ozen's side? I don't condone what took place and I hate that it happened and it marks both programs in an unruly fashion which is new to Ozen. You, along with the reporter for Galveston was either watching the game with rose colored glasses on or had rain in your eyes. There was much jaw jacking before, during, and after the game. I'm also glad for game tapes and hope that both teams will learn from mistakes. How can you know what anybody's intentions are unless they are your own? Nothing said on here will be taken in accord as to what happened if UIL decides to look into this, we are merely stating opinions. I have a son that plays for Ozen and I've never taught him to lie or be a sore loser and he is well respected at Ozen as well as in the community. Again I can't speak for LM but Ozen has a good group of kids and this incident was rather unfortunate. At the end of me typing this, the fact will still remain that we lost and LM won so with that being said "Good luck to LM on the rest of your season". Hats off to Ozen! Congratulations to you on a great season. Hold your heads up high because your future is not determined by opinions posted on this forum.

[quote name="cougar2011" post="1133530" timestamp="1322497229"]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcqTsHhymV8
Look at the play exactly at 6mins 50secs ... This was what was going on frequently during the game by Ozen players. La marque DID not retaliate here as you can see, but its only so much a young teenage will take before he defends himself and his teammates. So dont give me that crap about La marque is classless and Ozen is. smh I'm just glad the kids dont see some of the things you people say, you dont be ashamed of yourselves the way your acting towards these kids.
[/quote]

Shhh!!! You're interjecting facts and your post will probably be deleted.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• It's common knowledge that this sort of thing happens on ranches.  I'd be willing to bet more people than not in this forum have had to do it.  That said, she's an absolute moron for putting it in a book, period.  The act of killing the dog can be justified, but publicizing it is inexcusable for someone in her position.  I honestly have no clue what she was thinking.
    • There are times when certain things are appropriate, and when they are not.  We can agree to disagree on the appropriateness of star baseball players doing contact football drills in the days leading up the baseball playoffs.  
    • are you suggesting that if the football coach runs spring drills then the kids won't play fall ball without supervision?  Because if not, this argument has no relevance.  One doesn't take the place of the other.  one the AD has control of, the other he just tries to.  
    • I don't think it is overly hyped.. I am seeing less and less multi-sport kids when it can all be prevented.. A coach teaches l loyalty, work ethic, comradery, integrity, perseverance, etc.. to get kids to buy into their program. They talk about brotherhood and doing what is best for their community.... But some mean all of this  just for football... Kids see into this double standard and will quit.. either while on the field or off...  drives me crazy!!  and again... I work with these kids.. they tell me what they think.. so you can agree or disagree.. its their point of view!!
  • Topics