THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

I was watching the game on TV and happened to hear that Sam Houston didn't have any recruits that came from the local clubs while Lamar was continously calling players name from Lumberton,Kelly, WB etc.This is not a knock on local clubs but it is impossible to build a successful college program when you recruit that heavily locally.

[quote name="whsalum" post="1099671" timestamp="1319950378"]
I was watching the game on TV and happened to hear that Sam Houston didn't have any recruits that came from the local clubs while Lamar was continously calling players name from Lumberton,Kelly, WB etc.This is not a knock on local clubs but it is impossible to build a successful college program when you recruit that heavily locally.
[/quote]
I disagree.  There is plenty of talent in setx, juco's and at Lamar...just got to know how to use it, and how to recruit it.

You gotta consider what your recruiting against and the type of player it takes to be successful at the collegiate level.The premiere local guys are playing at Austin,Norman and College Station.The guys that are left are good high school players on average teams.Thats just not condusive to winning big time college football games.There is a reason Sam Houston did not have a loaded local roster.

[quote name="whsalum" post="1099790" timestamp="1319989992"]
You gotta consider what your recruiting against and the type of player it takes to be successful at the collegiate level.The premiere local guys are playing at Austin,Norman and College Station.The guys that are left are good high school players on average teams.Thats just not condusive to winning big time college football games.There is a reason Sam Houston did not have a loaded local roster.
[/quote]
I understand, and agree there are a lot of average young men left behind, but I believe u scrub ur roster out, then go get ur freshman class u plan on putting ur neck out for!  There are always guys left behind that can develop in to great college players.

[quote name="whsalum" post="1099671" timestamp="1319950378"]
[/quote]
Mcneese and SFA have been winning with SETX talent for years! SHSU has 32 players from the Greater houston area. I'd say that's pretty freakin local to them. They have 5 players from Huntsville or surrounding towns. Considering the size of Huntsville, that's quite a few. SHSU may not have any current players from the GT, but the best team they had outside of this season in the past 20 years was led by a GT QB and had several other GT players on it. Besides it's year #2! What did you really expect? The fact that they are even competitive against the bottom of the conference is remarkable. Do you really expect Lamar to outrecruit the second and third tier schools for top Texas prospects in year two??? Get real.

[quote name="badndn" post="1100513" timestamp="1320070216"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=90657.msg1099671#msg1099671 date=1319950378]
[/quote]
Mcneese and SFA have been winning with SETX talent for years! SHSU has 32 players from the Greater houston area. I'd say that's pretty freakin local to them. They have 5 players from Huntsville or surrounding towns. Considering the size of Huntsville, that's quite a few. SHSU may not have any current players from the GT, but the best team they had outside of this season in the past 20 years was led by a GT QB and had several other GT players on it. Besides it's year #2! What did you really expect? The fact that they are even competitive against the bottom of the conference is remarkable. Do you really expect Lamar to outrecruit the second and third tier schools for top Texas prospects in year two??? Get real.
[/quote]

The talent in the GT isn't what it was 5 or 10 years ago. Example from last year. Fred Ford was probably the most heavily recruit from the GT and he ended up at SFA. Five or 10 years the GT would've had at least 10 - 15 of it's top recruits going to Austin, Norman or College Station, now you would be lucky to get 5 in that category. I'm just sayin the talent pool in the Triangel is no where near what it used to be and Lamar's going to have to throw out a bigger net when it comes to recruiting. By the way, how long are you giving Lamar to be able to recruit with McNeese and SHU and SFA and the rest of the conference? If they want to compete for a championship they better start soon.

[quote name="whsalum" post="1099790" timestamp="1319989992"]
[/quote]
It is all relative.  The premier guys from any high school are normally going to go to major colleges.  That doesn't mean that the only high school players worth signing are the ones that go to UT?  There is second tier talent at local high schools just like everywhere else.  Your post makes no sense.  Granted, we probably can't win a national championship with local talent only but we certainly could with a majority local roster.  Really, I prefer we recruit locally first but I'm not going to boycott the team or anything if we sign an All American from Michigan or New York or wherever.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="1100846" timestamp="1320088213"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=90657.msg1099790#msg1099790 date=1319989992]
[/quote]
It is all relative.  The premier guys from any high school are normally going to go to major colleges.  That doesn't mean that the only high school players worth signing are the ones that go to UT?  There is second tier talent at local high schools just like everywhere else.  Your post makes no sense.  Granted, we probably can't win a national championship with local talent only but we certainly could with a majority local roster.  Really, I prefer we recruit locally first but I'm not going to boycott the team or anything if we sign an All American from Michigan or New York or wherever.
[/quote]
I agree

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1101008" timestamp="1320095142"]
[quote author=DA' SAWRGE (EBONICS) link=topic=90657.msg1101001#msg1101001 date=1320094790]
Who gets the start this week at QB?
[/quote]

Because of injuries, Prewitt will get the start.

Not my words.  ;)
[/quote]
Any other significant injuries?

[quote name="DA' SAWRGE (EBONICS)" post="1101016" timestamp="1320095350"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=90657.msg1101008#msg1101008 date=1320095142]
[quote author=DA' SAWRGE (EBONICS) link=topic=90657.msg1101001#msg1101001 date=1320094790]
[/quote]

Not my words.  ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]

From the SAM game?

[quote name="DA' SAWRGE (EBONICS)" post="1101016" timestamp="1320095350"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=90657.msg1101008#msg1101008 date=1320095142]
[/quote]

Not my words.  ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]

oden has a gimpy ankle

just got finished looking

LU has 30 kids from the golden Triangle...w/ WB-8 and Lumberton-5 with the most

we've also lost some locals who quit

(were all the Lumberton boys, (and Hussey), all on the same team?)

I say our recruiters follow Sam Houston's around.......

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1101008" timestamp="1320095142"]
[/quote]

Not my words.  ;)
[/quote]

according to woodards post game..johnson just had the wind knocked outta him? 

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="1100846" timestamp="1320088213"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=90657.msg1099790#msg1099790 date=1319989992]
[/quote]
[/quote]If you honesty believe you can win in even D-2 collegiate football without getting out of your backyard to recruit then you can get used to getting beat consistantly.WB and Lumberton had pretty good high school programs that these kids came off of but the difference between a pretty good high school player and a pretty good D-2 recruit isn't even close.I know coach Woodard was successful at Navarro and I don't mean to imply that he should be winning the conference in his second year.He will get Lamar on the right track but he won't do it with a roster full of local players.Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's a fact.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEVELS D1-D3, NAIA DIV

Well, let's think outside the box so we can see the difference in  talent....here's a few of ur famous from each division:

[u][b]NAIA[/b][/u]
Don Beebe
Sam Adams
Bill Callahan
Todd Collins
Patrick Crayton
Darrell Green
Christian Okoye
Willie Parker
Walter Payton
[u][b]D-3[/b][/u]
London Fletcher
Pierre Garcon
Matt Turk
Fred Jackson
Steven Hauschka
Jason Trusnik
[u][b]D-2[/b][/u]
Roberto Garza
Johnny Knox
Danny Woodhead
Danieal Manning
J'Marcus Webb
Larry Allen
Jordan Babineaux
John Kitna
Jim Kleinsasser

Not a bad list....UR "avg players" don't look so bad anymore do they... ;)

I'm certain most of these guys were told something from a D1 school..."Too Slow", "Too Small", etc...some were never looked at(Aaron Rodgers - JUCO)...doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't be good...does it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder