Running Up The Score

BADSANTA

How do you feel?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel?

• Poor Sportsmanship
    • Do it becuse they will do same to you in basketball?

I used to be totally against it until about 2 weeks ago when I was having a conversation with someone who pointed out that when the teams pull back you are stopping some kids from possibly getting some very important stats on their record.

Now, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

If your team isn't very deep, then just call off the dogs, but if you leave a running back out their who is just very good but happens to be the backup, and your team continues too score, oh well, not the coaches fault that his back ups are better than the other teams back ups or first string however the other coach decides to play while being blown out, basically if it's not a rule then it's not classless to do it.

Some of these kids are looking for some college playing time...good stats help get looks from scouts.  I'm not saying to kill the clock so you have time to score when you are already ahead by 28 and there's only 5 seconds left, but I am not saying you should hold back either.  However, as a coach you should consider pulling key starters to keep them healthy for next week and give yourself a look at some other players in a game situation.

[quote name="Purple Runs Deep" post="1084261" timestamp="1318710254"]
"It's your job to keep the score down, not mine." Bobby Bowden to Lou Holtz lol  :D
[/quote]

Jimmy Johnson said that whole he was at Miami.  They beat the then ranked #1 Notre Dame  by more than 50. (I don't remember the exact score)

To me running up the score means that a team takes time outs or onside kicks or keeps going deep to score when they are way ahead. If you put in the second team and they move the ball and score then that means they are doing what they have been coached to do. You can not coach kids all week to do their best then on game night because you are ahead by 40 tell the guys in the game to go 50% speed. As long as you are not intentionaly trying to embarrass someone then it is not running up the score.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
IMO it depends on the situation. Like for example say you have a rival week and your rival team does something to provoke you like steal your mascot or spray paint your school with there emblem and color or do something else that just isn't right then by all means hang as much as you can on em but if your 6-0 in your district and your facing a winless team and they just can't keep up then yeah you should slack off and put in third string and run the ball the alot to wear down the clock. But you also gotta think about what the definition of "running up the score" is. IMO like MrUmp1 said taking timeouts and onside kicks and throwing bombs down the field and keeping your first string in the whole game, thats running up the score and that does not show good sportsmanship. So in a way i think running up the score is wrong. But defining running up the score is harder to do than everyone thinks.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1084412" timestamp="1318718371"]
To me running up the score means that a team takes time outs or onside kicks or keeps going deep to score when they are way ahead. If you put in the second team and they move the ball and score then that means they are doing what they have been coached to do. You can not coach kids all week to do their best then on game night because you are ahead by 40 tell the guys in the game to go 50% speed. As long as you are not intentionaly trying to embarrass someone then it is not running up the score.
[/quote]

Agreed. If you're a head coach and stupid enough to leave your starters in with a comfortable lead, you deserve to lose one....even though I hate to see it happen to any child.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1084412" timestamp="1318718371"]
[/quote]

I'd tend to agree with you...I've never understood why the kids who put in the same kind of hard work and committment (as the 1st or 2nd stringers) are expected to give less than their best when it comes time for them to take the field and have their moment to shine in front of friends and family...

One of the many lessons athletics can teach a player is how to deal with adversity...What do you do when everything that you've practiced and trained for goes exactly opposite of what you had hoped? Do you roll over and give up or do you continue to play hard and practice a little harder in hopes of getting better?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone being bigger, stronger or faster than you during a competition...It's a mere fact of life..We're not all the same...Our differences are what makes each of us unique..

Another lesson learned in athletics is that sometimes your absolute best IS NOT going to be good enough and that's just how life is...Sometimes you'll do your absolute best and things will still not turn out the way you want...The key will then become how you chose to deal with the setback and if you will choose to continue to give your best when it might be easier to do otherwise...

Life certainly doesn't slow down or let up just because you might personally be in a bad place or time...

Sometimes I think we may actually being doing our youth somewhat of a injustice by trying to control exactly at what point it is and isn't ok do to your absolute best...If you choose to play a sport you have to know that it's a possibility (that if you run into someone alot better than you) that the score and game might get out of control....I don't think there is anything wrong with getting blown out by a much better team if you're giving your absolute best...Stuff happens...

no team getting their butts kicked wants the other team to ease up & stop playing hard, if they do their playing football for the wrong reason.people that cry about running up the score just give their players an excuse to start crying with them.football isnt for the classy kind hearted folk anyway.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1084438" timestamp="1318720252"]
IMO it depends on the situation. Like for example say you have a rival week and your rival team does something to provoke you like steal your mascot or spray paint your school with there emblem and color or do something else that just isn't right then by all means hang as much as you can on em but if your 6-0 in your district and your facing a winless team and they just can't keep up then yeah you should slack off and put in third string and run the ball the alot to wear down the clock. But you also gotta think about what the definition of "running up the score" is. IMO like MrUmp1 said taking timeouts and onside kicks and throwing bombs down the field and keeping your first string in the whole game, thats running up the score and that does not show good sportsmanship. So in a way i think running up the score is wrong. But defining running up the score is harder to do than everyone thinks.
[/quote]

100% agree... if the cougs got up big on Dayton or BH i would boo the coaches for not putting the hurt to those teams (Yes im talking to you Dayton).

For the most part I agree that its the defenses job to stop the other team, but I heard that Livingston decided to go for it on fourth down the other night late in the game when they were up by several touchdowns (don't remember how much, but I think it was like 30 pts.)...I'd say this is pretty classless.

4th down...went for it...on own end of field...  Had second string O-line in game...second string running back...middle opened up, the RB ran...scored...guess the RB was to just stumble and fall?  Check all the scores from Friday night...many were larger margins than Livingston/Lumberton.  Someone on defense needs to make the stop.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder