[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069646#msg1069646 date=1317401383]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=88772.msg1069615#msg1069615 date=1317398411]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069441#msg1069441 date=1317384504]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=88772.msg1069422#msg1069422 date=1317378009]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=88772.msg1069325#msg1069325 date=1317349720]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069067#msg1069067 date=1317328924]
[quote author=Ned11str8 link=topic=88772.msg1066434#msg1066434 date=1317031562]
[quote author=td link=topic=88772.msg1066432#msg1066432 date=1317030915]
This sounds like kids just being kids. I'm not sure why some people are making a big deal out of it. I for one am glad I didn't get caught doing all of the stupid things I did as a teen. Let them take their punishment and move on.
[/quote]

Amen td ! Amen  . They're children
[/quote]

Kids being kids would seem to apply when kids sit around someone's house and drank are at the local park. Being at a school event and drinking on campus is a whole other issue.
[/quote]

Be careful about throwing rocks at glass houses.
[/quote]Well said Bigdog.... ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

So you can confirm PN-G football players have been caught drinking at school organized functions on campus? If not there is no glass house.
[/quote]

Can you confirm that they haven't?  Or have never done it?
[/quote]

I think my post has been misunderstood. I know kids at PN-G drink just like every other school. I just feel the whole it's just kids being kids and let's giggle about it and move on is the wrong approach by some.
[/quote]

Which goes to Dawgnut's point,  the parents or the police need to handle it, not the school district.
[/quote]

I completely agree except for it being a crime to have alcohol on school property no matter which school you go to. I am through with this..... Hopefully the kids can take something positive from it. Good luck to Ned tonight.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigdog" post="1069728" timestamp="1317407960"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069646#msg1069646 date=1317401383]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=88772.msg1069615#msg1069615 date=1317398411]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069441#msg1069441 date=1317384504]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=88772.msg1069422#msg1069422 date=1317378009]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=88772.msg1069325#msg1069325 date=1317349720]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=88772.msg1069067#msg1069067 date=1317328924]
This sounds like kids just being kids. I'm not sure why some people are making a big deal out of it. I for one am glad I didn't get caught doing all of the stupid things I did as a teen. Let them take their punishment and move on.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Kids being kids would seem to apply when kids sit around someone's house and drank are at the local park. Being at a school event and drinking on campus is a whole other issue.
[/quote]

Be careful about throwing rocks at glass houses.
[/quote]Well said Bigdog.... ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

So you can confirm PN-G football players have been caught drinking at school organized functions on campus? If not there is no glass house.
[/quote]

Can you confirm that they haven't?  Or have never done it?
[/quote]

I think my post has been misunderstood. I know kids at PN-G drink just like every other school. I just feel the whole it's just kids being kids and let's giggle about it and move on is the wrong approach by some.
[/quote]

Which goes to Dawgnut's point,  the parents or the police need to handle it, not the school district.
[/quote]

I agree it is not the school district's problem UNTIL they were at a school function on school property.  Too bad for the kids...I can't imagine having to miss a season when I was their age.

Stop beating this horse. He is dead...The kids made a mistake as most kids do. Thankfully for them and their loved ones they get to learn from their mistake, which I am certain they will and are doing...Too many today don't get a second chance. No glass over here in Groves. Our kids aren't much different than yours are! 

The real issue here is that these kids were at a party that was accompanied by at least one adult. This is happening way too often. It's hard enough to raise kids without parents contributing to the issue. I hope all involved have learned from this and now it's time to move forward. Good luck to all players tonight. Go Bulldogs!

In was a player at PNG and got caught drinking on a school trip along with 4 other athletes and some other kids. We all got 2 weeks in ISS. We were not allowed to participate in extra curricular activities for those 2 weeks. But Friday at 3:00 we were eligible. Played in a baseball tournament that weekend. I think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't know all the details in this case. I'll just say I'm sure they learned their lesson!

Is it true that the kids from Orangefield that were killed in the wee hours of the morning were at the party in Port-Neches? Is it true that parents were at the home where the party took place and knew there was alcohol? I am the parent of a teenage boy and I know they will all do things they shouldn't, but let me find out that some other adult provided alcohol to my son and I will do everything in my power to have them held accountable for their actions. It is not another adult's right to decide whether it is the right time or place for MY child to drink alcohol! Did I do stupid things when I was a teen? Yes, I did, and now I know what to look for!!!!!

Nope....it's no mistake. The adult was not providing the alcohol but they were allowing the kids to drink and have a party at their home. Yes it was in Port Neches and it has been said that the teens from Orangefield were there. The teens from Nederland were there as well. One group of teens made a bad decision and are able to learn from it. The other group will not have that opportunity. While some parents are upset because their child might miss out on something due to their punishment, there are parents grieving the loss of their child. We will pray for them and pray that there are consequences for these parents that are making poor choices not only for their children, but for others by allowing these parties to take place that involve alcohol.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1065541" timestamp="1316913699"]
My opinion for what it's worth.....What happen to a Head Coach handling a situation on HIS team with a good ole fashion A$$ whipping???? Kids will be kids - nothing has changed since we were there - BUT the way we discipline them NOW....Who are we punishing here, THE TEAM!!!! Fight for what you believe in Bulldogs and know where your highly spirited teammates are at ALL TIMES.... :D.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, tjcfan08.
back in the good ol days.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1066368" timestamp="1317005146"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=88772.msg1066365#msg1066365 date=1317004836]
How many of us drank a beer in high school and didn't get caught?
[/quote]

I got caught the last week of school. My assistant principal the late Lenny Dauphine suspended me the last day of my senior year for buying a beer at the Astrodome on a student government trip. Stros lost .
[/quote]

Stros lost...no way  :D

[quote name="gooddog" post="1071638" timestamp="1317528680"]
I can tell you that there is no way some parents of Port Neches had a party and allowed high school kids to drink and drive. Must be a mistake.
[/quote]

Don't be so naive. It happens waaay too often. If u truly believe that, you need to open your eyes. It happened 20 yrs ago, and it's still going on today.

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1065362" timestamp="1316904703"]
Kids will do dumb stuff, just wonder were the adults were when this was all taking place?
[/quote]

While you can not be there for every mistake - you sure as hell can know what mistakes are happening. May not have stopped it, but it worked for me and my kids.

[quote name="Ned11str8" post="1066434" timestamp="1317031562"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And at 18 they are adults - stop hiding behind they are children, does something really dumb they will be tried as adults.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="1073108" timestamp="1317728786"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And at 18 they are adults - stop hiding behind they are children, does something really dumb they will be tried as adults.
[/quote]

Sorry but all of my children turned/will turn 18 at he beginning of their Senior year.  Legally they are an adult but mentally they are still a teenager who still has lots to learn.

I still can't believe we are still talking about this after all this time.  The kids made a mistake and were punished for it, let it be. 

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1073181" timestamp="1317738121"]
[quote author=fwstangs link=topic=88772.msg1073108#msg1073108 date=1317728786]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but all of my children turned/will turn 18 at he beginning of their Senior year.  Legally they are an adult but mentally they are still a teenager who still has lots to learn.

I still can't believe we are still talking about this after all this time.  The kids made a mistake and were punished for it, let it be.
[/quote]

Let's see, 4 OF kids paid with their life, 2 Ned kids pay by missing 6 weeks of sports, and LU football coaches scanning the area arrest warrants to BRING them to LU, and talked about as "kids making mistakes, and getting second chances"

So we have 17/18 yo being called kids making mistakes, and 20ish being called kids making mistakes..and no mention to an adult that "allowed" the drinking, being arrested for several possible charges (possibly even involuntary manslaughter)....is there an answer to "when" people become accountable for their actions.

With that being said, I for one praise NISD, feel for the parents of the OF kids, and recognize kids will in fact make mistakes. As for LU....ah.."dead horse" my bad...yet still better than dead kids.

I was not referring to the OF kids being killed.  There is no comparing the kids doing whatever on top of the doggie dome to the OF kids being killed at 3AM in a car crash.

I know as a parent I have never and will never supply alcohol to minors.  There are too many things that could happen and I do not want their blood on my hands.  I also know that if someone supplied alcohol to my child and something happened I would do everything in my power to have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1073377" timestamp="1317751396"]
I was not referring to the OF kids being killed.  [b]There is no comparing the kids doing whatever on top of the doggie dome to the OF kids being killed at 3AM in a car crash.[/b]I know as a parent I have never and will never supply alcohol to minors.  There are too many things that could happen and I do not want their blood on my hands.  I also know that if someone supplied alcohol to my child and something happened I would do everything in my power to have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
[/quote]

Maybe not a comparison, but there is apparently a connection. Per at least one poster, they attended the same party. Ned kids were obviosly luckier than the OF kids....seems they did drive from PN to Ned to pull their silly kid stunt.

Besides I didnt say you did "compare" them. I was just stating perhaps WHY some are still talking about it.

All I did was mention those who "paid" their debt, for their mistakes, being with their life or missing activities. BUT, there is no mention to the consequences of the adult AND that following not one but two DUI arrest, LU brings them to our home area (not to mention the boastful article by the BE, as giving second chances)..just saying, Id bet a whole lot that the parents of the OF kids WISH they had a second chance.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1073382" timestamp="1317752399"]
[quote author=Cheermom4 link=topic=88772.msg1073377#msg1073377 date=1317751396]
I was not referring to the OF kids being killed.  [b]There is no comparing the kids doing whatever on top of the doggie dome to the OF kids being killed at 3AM in a car crash.[/b]I know as a parent I have never and will never supply alcohol to minors.  There are too many things that could happen and I do not want their blood on my hands.  I also know that if someone supplied alcohol to my child and something happened I would do everything in my power to have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
[/quote]

Maybe not a comparison, but there is apparently a connection. Per at least one poster, they attended the same party. Ned kids were obviosly luckier than the OF kids....seems they did drive from PN to Ned to pull their silly kid stunt.

Besides I didnt say you did "compare" them. I was just stating perhaps WHY some are still talking about it.

All I did was mention those who "paid" their debt, for their mistakes, being with their life or missing activities. BUT, there is no mention to the consequences of the adult AND that following not one but two DUI arrest, LU brings them to our home area (not to mention the boastful article by the BE, as giving second chances)..just saying, Id bet a whole lot that the parents of the OF kids WISH they had a second chance.
[/quote]

Totally understand but from what I have heard the kids from OF went to a couple of different parties after they left he one in PN (again not taking up for the parents where this party took place).  If I remember correctly they were at one that was in Mauricville.  Not that it matter because because no amount of second guessing will bring those boys back.  I am also positive there are parties going on in every community in America every Friday and Saturday night where alcohol is served to minors.  I don't agree with and all I can do is teach my kids right from wrong and hopefully it sinks in and they remember.

I haven't read the BE paper in years so I can't comment on an article that I haven't read.  But in no way shape or form should drinking/ drinking and driving be glammerized.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1073358" timestamp="1317750060"]

So we have 17/18 yo being called kids making mistakes, and 20ish being called kids making mistakes..and no mention to an adult that "allowed" the drinking, being arrested for several possible charges (possibly even involuntary manslaughter)....[size=10pt][b]is there an answer to "when" people become accountable for their actions.[/b][/size]

[/quote]

For crimes, the State of Texas says 10 years old and as young as 14 years old an an adult.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1073181" timestamp="1317738121"]
[quote author=fwstangs link=topic=88772.msg1073108#msg1073108 date=1317728786]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is something we need to talk about every day maam. Sorry my kids are not 18 till the start of their senior year??? What does that have to do with anything?? Mine were 17 when they graduated, but they were taught that they have to be ready to accept the consequences for their mistakes and at some point that would be as adults. We did not and will never hide behind this banal kids making mistakes. Geezus criminy - are we seeing why we have a problem? This is not a nederland, PNG or Friendswood issue - this is a big time society issue and for some one to get tired of talking about it tells me alot.