ATTENDANCE

cardinal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda like politics, gotta find what moves the middle.
A certain % to one side will NOT support LU footbal no matter what.
A certain % to the other side WILL support LU football no matter what.

What will move the middle, winning, good character, (or winning AND good character) family fun, atmosphere or any number of other things.

I don't think we will get an answer from here, most of you fall into the "dia hard" LU fans, dont care about much of anything except that LU DOES have football. You will lurch the news channels, internet, and news papers just waiting for a "big name" prospect to screw up, then hope like crazy LU picks them up so LU can win.

Others, would rather the same search to take place for "big name" prospects like Dustin Long from A&M, or Jeremy Johnson from WV that dont have baggage but are good kids and players looking for a place to fit in and play.

By the way, players like Long and Johnson deserve "another chance" to play and fit in before others get the coveted "second chance" following BAD CHOICES not MISTAKES.

On another note: lieing and betraying the media, probably not on the path of putting more fans in the stands either.

WINNING & CHARACTER

[quote name="bigred360" post="1067669" timestamp="1317148938"]
I'm not going to get banned over this and I don't think the post will be deleted as I'll just say you don't know the history of Dustin Long very well.
[/quote]

If not, fair enough. But the media in Huntsville (to my memory) didn't flaunt his troubles (which may be why I don't know the history very well), then as the savior of the football program either.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1067695" timestamp="1317150421"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=88627.msg1067669#msg1067669 date=1317148938]
I'm not going to get banned over this and I don't think the post will be deleted as I'll just say you don't know the history of Dustin Long very well.
[/quote]

If not, fair enough. But the media in Huntsville (to my memory) didn't flaunt his troubles (which may be why I don't know the history very well), then as the savior of the football program either.
[/quote]

Is there any thread that you post on that you don't bring up players' past troubles?  ::)

Not if players past troubles are relevant to the question or situation at hand. Whether you or others believe it or not, I and others (probably more than you think) (not necessarily on here) feel it is a more than "minor" problem. I truely believe it is affecting attendance, WHICH IS THE NAME OF THIS THREAD. ;)

[quote name="58SHW" post="1067729" timestamp="1317153072"]
Not if players past troubles are relevant to the question or situation at hand. Whether you or others believe it or not, I and others (probably more than you think) (not necessarily on here) feel it is a more than "minor" problem. I truely believe it is affecting attendance, WHICH IS THE NAME OF THIS THREAD. ;)
[/quote]

My take is the biggest things that are affecting attendance is the quality of the opponent and the personnel decisions, but not the ones you believe are the issue!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1067842" timestamp="1317159565"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=88627.msg1067729#msg1067729 date=1317153072]
[/quote]

My take is the biggest things that are affecting attendance is the quality of the opponent and the personnel decisions, but not the ones you believe are the issue!
[/quote]

I agree, but it's the trend that seems to be present....BAD DECISIONS, whether it be the ones YOU or YA'LL believe it to be or what I or WE believe it to be. I never said "my" reasoning is the ONLY reason. Nonetheless, you are correct.

The quality of opponent will take care of itself in time, and IF the other problems are resolved, the other problems won't be present, the "bad decision makers" will also be eliminated, therefore in time more and more of us will become happier and more supportive.

With that said, regardless of who is making decisons, there will always be "some" who will disagree with decisions and be disapointed.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1068154" timestamp="1317211796"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=88627.msg1067842#msg1067842 date=1317159565]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=88627.msg1067729#msg1067729 date=1317153072]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, but it's the trend that seems to be present....BAD DECISIONS, whether it be the ones YOU or YA'LL believe it to be or what I or WE believe it to be. I never said "my" reasoning is the ONLY reason. Nonetheless, you are correct.

The quality of opponent will take care of itself in time, and IF the other problems are resolved, the other problems won't be present, the "bad decision makers" will also be eliminated, therefore in time more and more of us will become happier and more supportive.

[b]With that said, regardless of who is making decisons, there will always be "some" who will disagree with decisions and be disapointed.[/b][/quote]

I couldn't agree more with your last statement!  I can't seem to make anybody happy myself.  I think I am going to lay low, go to the games I can, and support the University.  Everything else is out of my hands and will be decided without my input.

Its simple, Lamar just needs to win and the fans will come.  In the the late 70's with Larry Keenan as head coach they started winning and they averaged over 16K a game.  In basketball, Tubbs and Foster kept winning year after year and attendance peaked to over 6K a game.  The problem with Lamar is they lose a lot more than they win so people lose interest and attendance dwindles.  All the other factors are minor compared to winning.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1068681" timestamp="1317262371"]
Its simple, Lamar just needs to win and the fans will come.  In the the late 70's with Larry Keenan as head coach they started winning and they averaged over 16K a game.  In basketball, Tubbs and Foster kept winning year after year and attendance peaked to over 6K a game.  The problem with Lamar is they lose a lot more than they win so people lose interest and attendance dwindles.  [b]All the other factors are minor compared to winning.[/b][/quote]

To you. And maybe the stands will fill to 16K plus if they start winning, not argueing that. it's just hard to believe some of ya'll do not respect and understand that "the other reasons" are important to some of US. If winning puts 16K in the stands, why not fix the other and put 20K in the stands. Who knows it may only put 16K + 1, that would still be better.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, I'm sure there are some people that do not go to the games because they do not sale all beef hot dogs.  Just like some people do not vote because "All the people that are running for office are crooks."  Some people want to be involved while others just want to point fingers.  All of this constant talk of why someone is not going to the games over basically three young men is puzzling.  There are over eighty young men on the football roster that bust their butts.  But there are repeated post about not attending games because of less than 5% of them they have an issue with. 

Lamar University is a very valuable asset to this area.  The university creates jobs in the area and gives us an option not export our money and our kids so they can receive a higher education.  Football is a marketing tool for the university and in Texas it is the biggest tool.  If you ask most people which is the better university between UT and Rice that the majority will say UT. But Rice is rated seventeenth in the nation by U.S. News.  Just because of the exposure UT gets from football sways peoples opinions. Lamar has gotten a good jump on having an exciting football program.  The field house, field, and scoreboard are all first class.  And the tailgating can not be beat. The university has laid a strong foundation for the football program. We as a community have an opportunity to build something everyone can be proud of.  All we have to do is to fill the stands.  That will help the school recover the money that was spent on building that foundation.  Continue filling the stands during the first few lean years, where the wins and completion are not where we would like them to be.  Then the athletic budget could be expanded and could hire a few more coaches as mentioned on here.  More money means being able to travel and recruit more.  The university gave us what we said we wanted for years, FOOTBALL.  Now it is time for us to put our money where our mouth is, and put our butts in the stands.

P.S. I hope they get the all beef hot dogs so we can get that +1. 

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="1068856" timestamp="1317308531"]
Excuses, excuses, excuses, I'm sure there are some people that do not go to the games because they do not sale all beef hot dogs.  Just like some people do not vote because "All the people that are running for office are crooks."  Some people want to be involved while others just want to point fingers.  All of this constant talk of why someone is not going to the games over basically three young men is puzzling.  There are over eighty young men on the football roster that bust their butts.  But there are repeated post about not attending games because of less than 5% of them they have an issue with. 

Lamar University is a very valuable asset to this area.  The university creates jobs in the area and gives us an option not export our money and our kids so they can receive a higher education.  Football is a marketing tool for the university and in Texas it is the biggest tool.  If you ask most people which is the better university between UT and Rice that the majority will say UT. But Rice is rated seventeenth in the nation by U.S. News.  Just because of the exposure UT gets from football sways peoples opinions. Lamar has gotten a good jump on having an exciting football program.  The field house, field, and scoreboard are all first class.  And the tailgating can not be beat. The university has laid a strong foundation for the football program. We as a community have an opportunity to build something everyone can be proud of.  All we have to do is to fill the stands.  That will help the school recover the money that was spent on building that foundation.  Continue filling the stands during the first few lean years, where the wins and completion are not where we would like them to be.  Then the athletic budget could be expanded and could hire a few more coaches as mentioned on here.  More money means being able to travel and recruit more.  The university gave us what we said we wanted for years, FOOTBALL.  Now it is time for us to put our money where our mouth is, and put our butts in the stands.

[/quote]

Very good post. Well done.

I was there, too, and I'll be at all home games. I think putting home games on TV for a program that just started back is plain dumb. I agree with the poster who said make comming to the game the only option of seeing the game. I think now that the schedule will pick up, attendence will pick up. However, if Lamar's play doesn't pick up, attendence will level off or decline, untill the McNeese game. I think LU will average 12 to 13,000 for home Southland games. It'll be a sellout for Mcneese.

[/quote]

This is without a doubt in the top 3 posts that I have read on any of the forums. It hits the nail on the head with a sledghammer! :)

[/quote]  I believe it is about a lot more than just 3 of them.  Other than that I pretty much agree with you.  Oh, one big problem with the satdium...they have the seats way too close together...it is ridiculous.  Well, except for my new gold section seats.  Those are sweet!

[quote name="58SHW" post="1068786" timestamp="1317298818"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=88627.msg1068681#msg1068681 date=1317262371]
Its simple, Lamar just needs to win and the fans will come.  In the the late 70's with Larry Keenan as head coach they started winning and they averaged over 16K a game.  In basketball, Tubbs and Foster kept winning year after year and attendance peaked to over 6K a game.  The problem with Lamar is they lose a lot more than they win so people lose interest and attendance dwindles.  [b]All the other factors are minor compared to winning.[/b][/quote]

To you. And maybe the stands will fill to 16K plus if they start winning, not argueing that. it's just hard to believe some of ya'll do not respect and understand that "the other reasons" are important to some of US. If winning puts 16K in the stands, why not fix the other and put 20K in the stands. Who knows it may only put 16K + 1, that would still be better.
[/quote]

Understood...and here's my take: if you don't like what is going on with the team/university, don't associate with it/them.  Don't go to games, don't watch highlights, don't wear LU apparel.  I hardly doubt that 4k people have a problem with Anthony Oden and the others.  Let's ask Bevil if he would rather play with the guys on the team now or trade them for some upstanding volunteers who played a down of football once who "deserve a second chance".  I'll admit that I was reticent to getting Oden at first.  His history spelled trouble.  However, we got him.  So what is easier to do?  Be upset and say how he will kill someone on the road in a car, blah blah blah...(the easier thing to do in every situation is be negative).  What is the more fun and fulfilling thing to do?  Enjoy his presence on the offensive line now.  I know Bevil and Johnson (when he's in) like having a guy like that "blocking" for them.  So he's here now...you may as well back the team.  Otherwise, like I said, don't go to the games.  There are people from out of town that I'm sure would love to have your ticket to watch their team at Provost-Umphrey Stadium.  Quite honestly, I'd rather see the people that are going to only have negative things to say stay home with their seats taken by the opponents.  At least then if the stadium were sold out, we'd have 16,000 FANS.  Lamar is not UT.  It never will be.  There are not too many fans of Lamar who are not students/alumni.  Texas has that by the truckload.  So if you plan on labeling yourself as a Cardinal fan, be just that.  Be a fan.  We can't all get what we want regarding this team.  We learn to live with what we get.  To be honest, if anyone isn't happy as a Lamar fan right now, then those people are S.O.L.  To be 8-7 in the first 15 games of the program restarting is simply amazing.  The Texans didn't work that quickly (I'm not comparing).

I'm done...and yes, I re-registered my account.  I can't sit back and watch all the negativity when we're 3-1 and have already surpassed what we were supposed to do this season (win one SLC game).

P.S. It's nice to see all the Bevil/Woodard haters shut up for at least one week.

[quote name="TBonesLU" post="1072826" timestamp="1317676012"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=88627.msg1068786#msg1068786 date=1317298818]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=88627.msg1068681#msg1068681 date=1317262371]

[/quote]

Understood...and here's my take: if you don't like what is going on with the team/university, don't associate with it/them.  Don't go to games, don't watch highlights, don't wear LU apparel.  I hardly doubt that 4k people have a problem with Anthony Oden and the others.  Let's ask Bevil if he would rather play with the guys on the team now or trade them for some upstanding volunteers who played a down of football once who "deserve a second chance".  I'll admit that I was reticent to getting Oden at first.  His history spelled trouble.  However, we got him.  So what is easier to do?  Be upset and say how he will kill someone on the road in a car, blah blah blah...(the easier thing to do in every situation is be negative).  What is the more fun and fulfilling thing to do?  Enjoy his presence on the offensive line now.  I know Bevil and Johnson (when he's in) like having a guy like that "blocking" for them.  So he's here now...you may as well back the team.  Otherwise, like I said, don't go to the games.  There are people from out of town that I'm sure would love to have your ticket to watch their team at Provost-Umphrey Stadium.  Quite honestly, I'd rather see the people that are going to only have negative things to say stay home with their seats taken by the opponents.  At least then if the stadium were sold out, we'd have 16,000 FANS.  Lamar is not UT.  It never will be.  There are not too many fans of Lamar who are not students/alumni.  Texas has that by the truckload.  So if you plan on labeling yourself as a Cardinal fan, be just that.  Be a fan.  We can't all get what we want regarding this team.  We learn to live with what we get.  To be honest, if anyone isn't happy as a Lamar fan right now, then those people are S.O.L.  To be 8-7 in the first 15 games of the program restarting is simply amazing.  The Texans didn't work that quickly (I'm not comparing).

I'm done...and yes, I re-registered my account.  I can't sit back and watch all the negativity when we're 3-1 and have already surpassed what we were supposed to do this season (win one SLC game).

P.S. It's nice to see all the Bevil/Woodard haters shut up for at least one week.
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

[/quote]

Welcome back TBone!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your screen name is wrong, it should be "Pollyanna".  Since when can't you be a fan and talk bad about your team?  Heck, that is almost the American way.  How many Romo haters are out there that are Cowboy fans?  What about UT fans that bash Mack Brown?  Or the Denver fans chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" when Kyle Orton is in the game?  Deal with it.  One of the "fun" things to do is analyze the game and the players and spout off about what you'd do differently.  I can see us now under your scenario, all singing kumbaya as we are losing 60-0 and talking about how wonderful everyone is.  All of us hugging and chuckling about what a wonderful game it is.

Oh, and as for the Bevil haters...we're back.  Or at least one of us is.

P.S.  You didn't even list the best qb we have in your post.  Prewitt.

Oh, and one last suggestion about improving attendance.  Who are the two biggest/most fanatical high school football programs in southeast texas?  In case you are stumped, that would be Nederland and PNG.  Now, how many starters does LU have from those two high schools??  If I'm counting correctly I come up with zero, zilch, nada.  How about recruiting and playing some of those kids so that maybe we can get a little mid county madness wearing red?

Kids from Mid-County on the team: Forney, Harmon and Tatum. They just aren't good enough to start. That is not my opinion as it is the coaching staff's opinion.

Recruiting locally is a double edged sword. If the kids aren't good enough to play then people get upset. If you don't recruit locally people get upset.

There are a number of players from SE Texas HS's on the team and Woodard has stated he is going to recruit more HS players than juco's as he did in the past to make Lamar an older team.

There will still be some juco's but not near as many as in past years. 

I graduated from a mid-county high school in the 1977 that had a tremendous amount of football success.  I am a huge LU fan now living in Houston.  I invite many of my old high school classmates that are LU graduates and still living in Jefferson County to join my tailgate and sometimes even provide them with tickets and I have not had any luck getting any of them interested enough to get involved on their own without my constant prodding.  Most of this group played football and I swear some of them have a 35 year old grudge against Lamar for not recruiting them in 1977.  I think that phenomenon is a real problem in high school football crazy Jefferson County.  How many ex-players and their immediate family are walking around thinking LU snubbed them?     

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder