ATTENDANCE

cardinal

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="1079560" timestamp="1318296472"]
[quote author=TBonesLU link=topic=88627.msg1072826#msg1072826 date=1317676012]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=88627.msg1068786#msg1068786 date=1317298818]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=88627.msg1068681#msg1068681 date=1317262371]
Its simple, Lamar just needs to win and the fans will come.  In the the late 70's with Larry Keenan as head coach they started winning and they averaged over 16K a game.  In basketball, Tubbs and Foster kept winning year after year and attendance peaked to over 6K a game.  The problem with Lamar is they lose a lot more than they win so people lose interest and attendance dwindles.  [b]All the other factors are minor compared to winning.[/b][/quote]

To you. And maybe the stands will fill to 16K plus if they start winning, not argueing that. it's just hard to believe some of ya'll do not respect and understand that "the other reasons" are important to some of US. If winning puts 16K in the stands, why not fix the other and put 20K in the stands. Who knows it may only put 16K + 1, that would still be better.
[/quote]

Understood...and here's my take: if you don't like what is going on with the team/university, don't associate with it/them.  Don't go to games, don't watch highlights, don't wear LU apparel.  I hardly doubt that 4k people have a problem with Anthony Oden and the others.  Let's ask Bevil if he would rather play with the guys on the team now or trade them for some upstanding volunteers who played a down of football once who "deserve a second chance".  I'll admit that I was reticent to getting Oden at first.  His history spelled trouble.  However, we got him.  So what is easier to do?  Be upset and say how he will kill someone on the road in a car, blah blah blah...(the easier thing to do in every situation is be negative).  What is the more fun and fulfilling thing to do?  Enjoy his presence on the offensive line now.  I know Bevil and Johnson (when he's in) like having a guy like that "blocking" for them.  So he's here now...you may as well back the team.  Otherwise, like I said, don't go to the games.  There are people from out of town that I'm sure would love to have your ticket to watch their team at Provost-Umphrey Stadium.  Quite honestly, I'd rather see the people that are going to only have negative things to say stay home with their seats taken by the opponents.  At least then if the stadium were sold out, we'd have 16,000 FANS.  Lamar is not UT.  It never will be.  There are not too many fans of Lamar who are not students/alumni.  Texas has that by the truckload.  So if you plan on labeling yourself as a Cardinal fan, be just that.  Be a fan.  We can't all get what we want regarding this team.  We learn to live with what we get.  To be honest, if anyone isn't happy as a Lamar fan right now, then those people are S.O.L.  To be 8-7 in the first 15 games of the program restarting is simply amazing.  The Texans didn't work that quickly (I'm not comparing).

I'm done...and yes, I re-registered my account.  I can't sit back and watch all the negativity when we're 3-1 and have already surpassed what we were supposed to do this season (win one SLC game).

P.S. It's nice to see all the Bevil/Woodard haters shut up for at least one week.
[/quote]

Your screen name is wrong, it should be "Pollyanna".  Since when can't you be a fan and talk bad about your team?  Heck, that is almost the American way.  How many Romo haters are out there that are Cowboy fans?  What about UT fans that bash Mack Brown?  Or the Denver fans chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" when Kyle Orton is in the game?  Deal with it.  One of the "fun" things to do is analyze the game and the players and spout off about what you'd do differently.  I can see us now under your scenario, all singing kumbaya as we are losing 60-0 and talking about how wonderful everyone is.  All of us hugging and chuckling about what a wonderful game it is.

Oh, and as for the Bevil haters...we're back.  Or at least one of us is.

P.S.  You didn't even list the best qb we have in your post.  Prewitt.
[/quote]

I didn't say don't talk about the team.  My point is that there is no way it can be even a little fun supporting your team when all you can do is find negative things to say.  We lose a game, negative remarks come out, which is expected (I guess).  We win a game, and the same negativity is still projected onto the team. 

Regarding Nederland and PN-G, did you ever think that maybe some of the players they recruit don't want to go to Lamar based on thinking they can go elsewhere higher up?  Recruiting locally does not necessarily equate to success at the next level.  I don't doubt that there are good players in the area, but some of them won't stay here.  Your boy Prewitt had to walk on.  People need to understand that just because the Mid-County Madness game happens locally and kids stand out in that game, that doesn't necessarily spell Division-I talent.  Having a team full of Southeast Texans isn't the goal of Lamar.  That's not the goal of any real college.  If the team was undefeated right now, would you still have the same thing to say regarding local recruits?  I hate to say it, but local recruits do not help the university grow.  Now that shouldn't stop us from recruiting locally, but I'm proud of the fact that there are players from other states that have never heard of Lamar on the team. 

Polyanna?  Maybe you should get a username not based on someone else's.  How about "Cardswearenot".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Lamarcard81" post="1079749" timestamp="1318338779"]
I graduated from a mid-county high school in the 1977 that had a tremendous amount of football success.  I am a huge LU fan now living in Houston.  I invite many of my old high school classmates that are LU graduates and still living in Jefferson County to join my tailgate and sometimes even provide them with tickets and I have not had any luck getting any of them interested enough to get involved on their own without my constant prodding.  Most of this group played football and I swear some of them have a 35 year old grudge against Lamar for not recruiting them in 1977.  I think that phenomenon is a real problem in high school football crazy Jefferson County.  How many ex-players and their immediate family are walking around thinking LU snubbed them?   
[/quote]

I think you are on so something here.  Good observations.  By the way I graduated from LU in 1981 we may know each other.  Where are you tailgating?  I may try to come by and visit you.

[quote name="TBonesLU" post="1080552" timestamp="1318428891"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=88627.msg1079560#msg1079560 date=1318296472]
[quote author=TBonesLU link=topic=88627.msg1072826#msg1072826 date=1317676012]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=88627.msg1068786#msg1068786 date=1317298818]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=88627.msg1068681#msg1068681 date=1317262371]
Its simple, Lamar just needs to win and the fans will come.  In the the late 70's with Larry Keenan as head coach they started winning and they averaged over 16K a game.  In basketball, Tubbs and Foster kept winning year after year and attendance peaked to over 6K a game.  The problem with Lamar is they lose a lot more than they win so people lose interest and attendance dwindles.  [b]All the other factors are minor compared to winning.[/b][/quote]

To you. And maybe the stands will fill to 16K plus if they start winning, not argueing that. it's just hard to believe some of ya'll do not respect and understand that "the other reasons" are important to some of US. If winning puts 16K in the stands, why not fix the other and put 20K in the stands. Who knows it may only put 16K + 1, that would still be better.
[/quote]

Understood...and here's my take: if you don't like what is going on with the team/university, don't associate with it/them.  Don't go to games, don't watch highlights, don't wear LU apparel.  I hardly doubt that 4k people have a problem with Anthony Oden and the others.  Let's ask Bevil if he would rather play with the guys on the team now or trade them for some upstanding volunteers who played a down of football once who "deserve a second chance".  I'll admit that I was reticent to getting Oden at first.  His history spelled trouble.  However, we got him.  So what is easier to do?  Be upset and say how he will kill someone on the road in a car, blah blah blah...(the easier thing to do in every situation is be negative).  What is the more fun and fulfilling thing to do?  Enjoy his presence on the offensive line now.  I know Bevil and Johnson (when he's in) like having a guy like that "blocking" for them.  So he's here now...you may as well back the team.  Otherwise, like I said, don't go to the games.  There are people from out of town that I'm sure would love to have your ticket to watch their team at Provost-Umphrey Stadium.  Quite honestly, I'd rather see the people that are going to only have negative things to say stay home with their seats taken by the opponents.  At least then if the stadium were sold out, we'd have 16,000 FANS.  Lamar is not UT.  It never will be.  There are not too many fans of Lamar who are not students/alumni.  Texas has that by the truckload.  So if you plan on labeling yourself as a Cardinal fan, be just that.  Be a fan.  We can't all get what we want regarding this team.  We learn to live with what we get.  To be honest, if anyone isn't happy as a Lamar fan right now, then those people are S.O.L.  To be 8-7 in the first 15 games of the program restarting is simply amazing.  The Texans didn't work that quickly (I'm not comparing).

I'm done...and yes, I re-registered my account.  I can't sit back and watch all the negativity when we're 3-1 and have already surpassed what we were supposed to do this season (win one SLC game).

P.S. It's nice to see all the Bevil/Woodard haters shut up for at least one week.
[/quote]

Your screen name is wrong, it should be "Pollyanna".  Since when can't you be a fan and talk bad about your team?  Heck, that is almost the American way.  How many Romo haters are out there that are Cowboy fans?  What about UT fans that bash Mack Brown?  Or the Denver fans chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" when Kyle Orton is in the game?  Deal with it.  One of the "fun" things to do is analyze the game and the players and spout off about what you'd do differently.  I can see us now under your scenario, all singing kumbaya as we are losing 60-0 and talking about how wonderful everyone is.  All of us hugging and chuckling about what a wonderful game it is.

Oh, and as for the Bevil haters...we're back.  Or at least one of us is.

P.S.  You didn't even list the best qb we have in your post.  Prewitt.
[/quote]

I didn't say don't talk about the team.  My point is that there is no way it can be even a little fun supporting your team when all you can do is find negative things to say.  We lose a game, negative remarks come out, which is expected (I guess).  We win a game, and the same negativity is still projected onto the team. 

Regarding Nederland and PN-G, did you ever think that maybe some of the players they recruit don't want to go to Lamar based on thinking they can go elsewhere higher up?  Recruiting locally does not necessarily equate to success at the next level.  I don't doubt that there are good players in the area, but some of them won't stay here.  Your boy Prewitt had to walk on.  People need to understand that just because the Mid-County Madness game happens locally and kids stand out in that game, that doesn't necessarily spell Division-I talent.  Having a team full of Southeast Texans isn't the goal of Lamar.  That's not the goal of any real college.  If the team was undefeated right now, would you still have the same thing to say regarding local recruits?  I hate to say it, but local recruits do not help the university grow.  Now that shouldn't stop us from recruiting locally, but I'm proud of the fact that there are players from other states that have never heard of Lamar on the team. 

Polyanna?  Maybe you should get a username not based on someone else's.  How about "Cardswearenot".
[/quote] 

Polyanna-
I cannot help it if factual remarks and negative remarks are one in the same.  Should we say "man the punt returners did a great job against NWSU.  they didn't fumble any punt returns!"  Or, "man, that Bevil was fantastic the first 3 quarters.  He didn't get hurt!"  Just because I say something was bad when it WAS bad doesn't mean I'm not a fan.  That is plain ridiculous.

As far as Mid county recruits wanting to go elsewhere, it is all relative.  I'm sure there are WB recruits that want to go elsewhere and Central and Lumberton and Bridge City.  However, one would think that with those two programs so fanatical about football that we could muster up more than 3 players.  And, common sense would suggest that certainly we could find at least one starter?

As for recruiting locally, that absolutely should be our goal.  Have you seen UT's roster and ATM's roster?  They are heavily loaded with Texas recruits.  What about OU and OSU?  All Texas and Oklahoma.  And, yes, I'd be saying the same thing if we were undefeated.  Now, of course, if they don't have the talent then we shouldn't give them scholarships but there are a lot of talented kids at those schools...in addition to the schools where we seem to do a good job with recruiting (West Brook and I think we have two or three kids from Central, and the kids we got from Lumberton).  I don't know what you mean by a "real" college.  But most colleges, real or unreal, recruit there area first and then expand out from there.  Very few truly recruit on a national basis.  The goal of any real college should be to sign quality kids first and they should look in their own backyard first.  And "local recruits don't help the university grow".  Huh?  What kind of nonsense is that?

Oh, and I'm not sure why you call Prewitt "my boy".  I watched all three of them play and he played the best.  If that makes him my boy, ok.  As far as him walking on, so?  He wasn't recruited by anyone.  Maybe we shouldn't have allowed him to walk on so he's local and wouldn't help the university grow?

Anyway, good luck and maybe one day we will sign all the best players from Indonesia!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont