Best TD run you ever saw?

BADSANTA

Back in 1976 there was this guy named Mike Sanchez who made this wicked TD run!! It was at Worsham Field (that's located on North 3rd Street, Silsbee, capacity 25). Sanchez alluded 6 defenders (at least 4 different times), once using a tree, a bush, a bird house pole, and several crawfish holes, to help clear the way to an amazing touchdown run of 40 yards (complete length of the field), to lead his team (3rd Street Ballers) over their arch rivals (2nd Street Stangs) to a victory in the City Block Bowl!! Sanchez finished with 11 TD's in this game (the fore mentioned one the game winner due to "time to come in!!").

It was an amazing game and amazing individual performance to say the least!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1061205" timestamp="1316529964"]
Back in 1976 there was this guy named Mike Sanchez who made this wicked TD run!! It was at Worsham Field (that's located on North 3rd Street, Silsbee, capacity 25). Sanchez alluded 6 defenders (at least 4 different times), once using a tree, a bush, a bird house pole, and several crawfish holes, to help clear the way to an amazing touchdown run of 40 yards (complete length of the field), to lead his team (3rd Street Ballers) over their arch rivals (2nd Street Stangs) to a victory in the City Block Bowl!! Sanchez finished with 11 TD's in this game (the fore mentioned one the game winner due to "time to come in!!").

It was an amazing game and amazing individual performance to say the least!
[/quote]

LMAO...not only to say the least but the most also.. ;D ;D

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="1061198" timestamp="1316529635"]
Hate to say it but, Richard Whitaker's run in Huntsville TX. vs. PNG was a great run. I know some Indian Fans remember it.
[/quote]

I was about to talk about this one. That was when they played Jacksonville correct? Best run I have ever seen in person...it was pretty amazing. I believe that TD was the game winner?

[quote name="JSnipes" post="1061216" timestamp="1316531112"]
[quote author=Go-rilla link=topic=88540.msg1061198#msg1061198 date=1316529635]
Hate to say it but, Richard Whitaker's run in Huntsville TX. vs. PNG was a great run. I know some Indian Fans remember it.
[/quote]

I was about to talk about this one. That was when they played Jacksonville correct? Best run I have ever seen in person...it was pretty amazing. I believe that TD was the game winner?
[/quote]

Game winner with not much time left. Toss left. Hand down. reverse field. scored from about 35 out!!! It was a great game and a great ending!

Guest Pirate_pride_07
I'd definitely have to say Bolinger from Vidor. His 71 yrd TD run in the Texas High game was a thing of beauty. If you didn't see it then dang you missed out.

In 1999 Kendall Briles from Stephenville against PNG They had him backed up to about the 50 yd line for what would have been a 20 yd loss. He dodged about 7 or 8 tacklers and turned it in to a touchdown. In fact I believe his performance in that game was the best I have ever seen in a high school game.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1061281" timestamp="1316536416"]
Troy Sumrall (Ned) maybe 98-99.
[/quote]I remember the one in 96 or 97, Sumrall took it 97 or 98 yards and drug a defender the last 5 for a td.  Cant remember who they were playing but it was the jumpstart of the Neumann era.......

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1061281" timestamp="1316536416"]
Troy Sumrall (Ned) maybe 98-99.
[/quote]

[quote author=outanup link=topic=88540.msg1061590#msg1061590 date=1316560025]
I remember the one in 96 or 97, Sumrall took it 97 or 98 yards and drug a defender the last 5 for a td.  Cant remember who they were playing but it was the jumpstart of the Neumann era.......
[/quote]

[quote author=bulldawg64 link=topic=88540.msg1061602#msg1061602 date=1316561402]
it was against  the sweeney bulldogs at home he took it
toward the old scoreboard the side the flag is on
for a td! will never forget that run!
[/quote]

"The Run"

It was not just the run and the touchdown but the time left in the game and the impact. Great run? Yes but with the game on the line and Nederland literally one play from defeat, it was awesome.

If I remember correctly, we were in Nederland and Sweeny was giving it to Nederland pretty good physically. Nederland was able to stay in the game though but it seemed like we were hanging on all night.

Then fairly late in the game Sweeny drove down to about the Nederland 1 or 2 yard line and looked to ice the game with a touchdown. Then they fumbled and Nederland recovered just outside of the goal line and certainly inside the 5.

Troy Sumrall took the hand off up the middle and then cut to his left for the length of the field. At about the 10 yard line the defender caught up with Sumrall and jumped on his back to take him down. Sumrall looked to be going down but used his other hand to keep his knees off of the ground and almost crawled the last five yards. I think the ref even got down near the ground to look to see if Sumrall's knees ever touched and they did not.

Sound familiar to any other Nederland fan or is my memory fading too much?

I remember that it lit Nederland's crowd up like nothing except maybe a touchdown against PNG. Shutting Sweeny down the rest of the way to take the win was just icing on the cake.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder