Incarnate Word @ Lamar Game Thread/LAMAR WINS 45-35!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1059496" timestamp="1316311063"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=88430.msg1059462#msg1059462 date=1316308985]
First time to watch Lamar. They are up 35-20 at half.

Bevil has a nice arm.
[/quote]

His downfall is he trys to throw a touchdown on every pass and forces too many passes which results in a lot of interceptions as witnessed by that last int!
[/quote]

Johnson is leading a nice drive currently, without a pass being thrown.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1059626" timestamp="1316317033"]
QB position is not the problem.

If Lamar's defense doesn't get any better, this will be a very long season, one with no conference wins.

Final

ICW          35
Lamar        45
[/quote]Think your right!

Guest beechnut
[quote name="swampdude" post="1059664" timestamp="1316323682"]
Plenty of bright spots for our Cardinals tonight, but I have serious concerns about the Defense.  UIW, a Division II school ran and threw at will.  Our kick-off coverage was terrible.  I am hoping for improvement before we face our SLC opponents.
[/quote]

Ya I bet the special teams coach is not to happy but they have some time to get it right.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="puddin tane" post="1059666" timestamp="1316324321"]
Slam houston rushed for over 300 against c Ark...we gotta figure something out on d
[/quote]

Ya I saw that just now and I tell you I thought Dorsey sp kid would be much better than he played than tonite. We will get destroyed if the line and lbs dont get better quick.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1059645" timestamp="1316319051"]
whew..no run or pass defense!

when/how did garret get hurt?  can we recruit that lil rb from ICW?

our best player tonight was their punter.  he gave us good field position with those 8 yarders.
[/quote]
Our regular punter is also starting safety....tweaked HString last week.  Coach left him home to heal for conference game next week.
I would have gone for it on fourth down.....
My son #57 UIW right tackle..I'm proud dad this. AM.  Mike Roby

BAD defense ?.......or we just don't want to give credit to a good offense, cause they have D2 behind their school name?...I caught the later half of the 4th Qtr(9 min), which looked like Lamar thought they had this game in the bag after 3 qtrs...If they played 3 strong qtrs, the only thing Lamar needs to worry about is finishing games! 

[quote name="Le Sgt Rey (French)" post="1059722" timestamp="1316354469"]
BAD defense ?.......or we just don't want to give credit to a good offense, cause they have D2 behind their school name?...I caught the later half of the 4th Qtr(9 min), which looked like Lamar thought they had this game in the bag after 3 qtrs...If they played 3 strong qtrs, the only thing Lamar needs to worry about is finishing games!
[/quote]
Nope, I was there...BAD "D".  Hope our Cards get it together

[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=88430.msg1059626#msg1059626 date=1316317033]

If Lamar's defense doesn't get any better, this will be a very long season, one with no conference wins.

[/quote]
QB is still an issue in my opinion...but not near as important as the Defense seems to be right now.

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1059777" timestamp="1316362352"]
[quote author=Le Sgt Rey (French) link=topic=88430.msg1059722#msg1059722 date=1316354469]
[/quote]
Nope, I was there...BAD "D".  Hope our Cards get it together

[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=88430.msg1059626#msg1059626 date=1316317033]

[/quote]
[b]QB is still an issue in my opinion[/b]...but not near as important as the Defense seems to be right now.
[/quote]

Bevil was 12-16 for 226 yards 2 TD's and 1 INT. He wasn't the problem and Johnson did some impressive things with his athletic ability at the QB position.

The defense and special teams are killing this team right now.

You guys are letting Woodard and his awful staff off the hook. It was not the talent that caused Lamar to struggle, but the coaching. 95% of the plays in the 4th were runs up the middle with little to no gains. It was like Lamar was trying not to score. On defense, the same SFA and USA plays were used on Lamar. The easy crossing route over the middle. Awful coaching. I have no confident this team will win any SLC games.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1059823" timestamp="1316366433"]
You guys are letting Woodard and his awful staff off the hook. It was not the talent that caused Lamar to struggle, but the coaching. 95% of the plays in the 4th were runs up the middle with little to no gains. It was like Lamar was trying not to score. On defense, the same SFA and USA plays were used on Lamar. The easy crossing route over the middle. Awful coaching. I have no confident this team will win any SLC games.
[/quote]

I was at the game and honestly UNLV, I can't argue with you. If we are going to run why not to the left side of the line where you have Campbell and Oden? The running game for IWU was killing us and the QB was tearing up our zone in the secondary.

The whole team needs to step up including the coaching staff.

What I saw tonight at the game is Lamar needs a front 7. The defense, overall, has had little improvement over last year. Our LBs are horrible. They don't get downhill fast enough and can't cover anybody on passes. Our DTs aren't getting off blocks. The problem, defensivily, is our middle. It ain't going to be fixed this year, either. We need 300 pounders at DT to help protect the LBs more.
Offensivily, we do run the ball a whole lot better than we did last year. I think we'll be fine on offense. Yes, I too think we need stay behind the left side of the line, but you can't do that all game. You do have to go to the other side was sometimes.
The problem with the coaching staff is there is not enough coaches on staff. Having only 8 coaches on staff at a Div. 1 school is a joke. If Lamar wants to compete at this level and actually put a winning product on the feild, they need to hire at least 4 more coaches. Most D-1 schools have 12-16 coaches. The Beaumont High Schools all have at least 12 coaches, for cryin' out loud! Hampshire-Fannett has 17!

Agree with the prior post which is why I think a school like Lamar (FCS) should run a 3-4 on defense because we aren't as likely to get several 300 LBS DT's. In a 3-4, you just need one 300 pounder at NT and the DE can be be 235-260 lbs. Also, it would be easier to get fast aggressive LB's who don't have to be huge but fast in a requirement.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder