Jeff Matthews....best Athletic Director in 20-4A

[quote name="bulldog1984" post="1052014" timestamp="1315508071"]
I agree Jeff Matthews is a good coach  and great with the kids and community but when your talking about a coach making a change, you have to look at Larry Newman from Nederland. I think he has been coach for  Nederland  for 19 years and been in playoffs 16 of those years. i graduated in Nederland in 84 and before him we were terrible in just about all sports, it was not fun at all.  thanks for all you have done coach Newman . Oh and was offered other jobs but he stayed in Nederland .. GO DOGS

No doubt Neuman has done a good job as a football coach. We were not terrible in all sports, we were just average in most sports. Remember also that only the district champions went to
the playoffs until 1986? In 1988, we went to the playoffs in football for the 1st time in 25 years. Now FOUR teams make the playoffs. Not comparing apples to apples. If we still lived under 1984 rules, we would still be in a playoff drought in football which dates back to 1963, right? We've finished 2nd a few times, but we have not won district in almost 50 years! Of
course we won more than 25 district titles in soccer, 2 in basketball, and baseball (maybe 5-6 district titles in past 20yrs?). I'm sure adminbaberuth knows that information. Anyway, back to Vidor. They were not just average when Matthews took over, they were at the bottom for 25 years in all sports until Matthews showed up. Sounds like Matthews is 'hands on' with sports other than football as well.
[/quote]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pirate_pride_07
See this is why we consider Nederland one of, if not our biggest, rivalry. Because yall don't give us any respect. Using words like not even relevant really gets us fired up. All i'm gonna say is see you on week 4 GoDogs27.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="kf89" post="1052076" timestamp="1315514158"]
keep hiring nederland guys(english,green,sumrall) & the pirates will be allright ;D.
[/quote]
Hey you know those are good coaches no matter where they coach. And didn't yall take our leftovers? (aka english)  ;D

It was a good point made... you cant count Vidor over the past 20 years... just the Matthews era.... Nederland sucked before Newman came... Vidor is the same way... before Matthews they probably never had the same coach for more than 5 years straight.... it takes a long time to build a program

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1052078" timestamp="1315514240"]
See this is why we consider Nederland one of, if not our biggest, rivalry. Because yall don't give us any respect. Using words like not even relevant really gets us fired up. All i'm gonna say is see you on week 4 GoDogs27.
[/quote]
  I will agree that Nederland is not a rival of Vidor but that does not mean that we wont spank them again this season... The fact that Nederland does not see us as relevant makes the victory so much sweeter when we do beat yall..You can say we arent rivals but it does ruin yalls season when we beat yall... and we will again this year..

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="cougars" post="1052082" timestamp="1315514589"]
It was a good point made... you cant count Vidor over the past 20 years... just the Matthews era.... Nederland sucked before Newman came... Vidor is the same way... before Matthews they probably never had the same coach for more than 5 years straight.... it takes a long time to build a program
[/quote]
Good point. Lets go back four years...
2010 Vidor - 24
          Nederland - 14
2009 Nederland - 22
        Vidor  - 20
2008 Nederland - 35
        Vidor - 23
2007 Nederland - 28
        Vidor - 7
2006 Vidor - 28
        Nederland - 24

Now looking at these stats Nederland is up 3-2 but i'm not gonna even bring up the 2009 game because i can almost guarantee that most Vidor fans in here will argue that loss. But still looking at the past 5 years 2 outta 5 isn't bad. In fact yall are only one game better than us. Seems pretty relevant to me.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1052079" timestamp="1315514295"]
[quote author=kf89 link=topic=87856.msg1052076#msg1052076 date=1315514158]
keep hiring nederland guys(english,green,sumrall) & the pirates will be allright ;D.
[/quote]
Hey you know those are good coaches no matter where they coach. And didn't yall take our leftovers? (aka english)  ;D
[/quote]

Referring to English as leftovers? Leftovers is something (or someone) that nobody wants. I don't think y'all wanted English to leave.  8)

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="NHS1990" post="1052097" timestamp="1315515508"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=87856.msg1052079#msg1052079 date=1315514295]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Referring to English as leftovers? Leftovers is something (or someone) that nobody wants. I don't think y'all wanted English to leave.  8)
[/quote]
You can think that all you want. Does make it true  ::)  ;D  8)

[quote name="NHS1990" post="1052097" timestamp="1315515508"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=87856.msg1052079#msg1052079 date=1315514295]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]I'll agree with you on English....Coaching record speaks for itself. I for one did not want him to leave.

It ruins our season when Vidor beats us?? I hate to tell you, but we set our sights higher than the Vidor Pirates. We got beat last year by Vidor with a lot of starters out and ended up still making the playoffs. I was there for the game and we didn't get "spanked" but I guess anytime Vidor beats anyone by at least two points its considered a spanking. I will be the first to agree that Matthews has been a positive influence on VHS athletics. I also have no reason to believe that Matthews isn't a class act... off the field. But on the field he's a Dan Hooks wannabe. As far as my comment about Vidor being relevant, they aren't yet. At least not in football. Yeah you may beat Nederland a couple of times a decade, congrats. But year in, year out the teams that are talked about as the top playoff contenders are Central, PNG, and Nederland in no particular order.

[quote name="NHS1990" post="1051874" timestamp="1315491461"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=87856.msg1051816#msg1051816 date=1315484335]
Hey GoDogs27, we hadn't beaten ya'll in football ever until 1976. Now, [u]you are a rival [/u] and we beat you on a regular basis, like last year. Jeff wouldn't spend so much time on the field if you weren't playing with 13 players including the ones in black and white stripes like in 2009. Sorry, your first TD was 10 yards out of the end zone. And, since we play in Bulldog Stadium this year, we'll probably be there until 1:00 a.m. again. Looking forward to a great game. Go Pirates!!!
[/quote]

Anyone(WOS grad) have the all time record for Vidor Vs. Nederland? Maybe just the past 20 years? I wonder if PNG saw us as a rival while they beat us 19 years in a row (from 1965-1984, I think?)...
[/quote]

Overall record is 60-10 I think.  I can double check.  The last 20 years Vidor has beat Nederland maybe 4 times.

[quote name="NHS1990" post="1051874" timestamp="1315491461"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=87856.msg1051816#msg1051816 date=1315484335]
Hey GoDogs27, we hadn't beaten ya'll in football ever until 1976. Now, [u]you are a rival [/u] and we beat you on a regular basis, like last year. Jeff wouldn't spend so much time on the field if you weren't playing with 13 players including the ones in black and white stripes like in 2009. Sorry, your first TD was 10 yards out of the end zone. And, since we play in Bulldog Stadium this year, we'll probably be there until 1:00 a.m. again. Looking forward to a great game. Go Pirates!!!
[/quote]

Anyone(WOS grad) have the all time record for Vidor Vs. Nederland? Maybe just the past 20 years? [b]I wonder if PNG saw us as a rival while they beat us 19 years in a row (from 1965-1984, I think?)...[/b][/quote]

Not trying to thread jack but since you asked I believe most at PNG that went school when I did during that 19 years will say that Nederland was always a rival. But it wasn't as intense as it got from mid 80's on after it got more competitive.During the 70's and early 80's TJ was a little more intense rivalry. Although, I will say I don't believe the PNG/TJ rivalry at it's peak was as good as the PNG/ Nederland has become.

Back on topic , I thought Vidor's rivalry was Lumberton. Vidor has also built a pretty good rivalry with Central , and I would say that is a respectful rivalry. Lots of class shown from Vidor and Central. Nothing like marathon overtime games and then seeing the two teams meet and pray together after the game.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
No matter what the record is or how many times yall have beat us in the past or whoever else you have a rivalry with Vidor will always look at the Nederland game as a rivalry game no matter what they or anyone else things. Thats just the way it is.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1052166" timestamp="1315524790"]
[quote author=NHS1990 link=topic=87856.msg1051874#msg1051874 date=1315491461]
[/quote]

Anyone(WOS grad) have the all time record for Vidor Vs. Nederland? Maybe just the past 20 years? I wonder if PNG saw us as a rival while they beat us 19 years in a row (from 1965-1984, I think?)...
[/quote]

Overall record is 60-10 I think.  I can double check.  The last 20 years Vidor has beat Nederland maybe 4 times.
[/quote]

Correction, 51-9-1 overall.

Praying is always encouraging to hear!

[quote name="pngfan1" post="1052180" timestamp="1315526084"]
[quote author=NHS1990 link=topic=87856.msg1051874#msg1051874 date=1315491461]
[/quote]

Anyone(WOS grad) have the all time record for Vidor Vs. Nederland? Maybe just the past 20 years? [b]I wonder if PNG saw us as a rival while they beat us 19 years in a row (from 1965-1984, I think?)...[/b][/quote]

Not trying to thread jack but since you asked I believe most at PNG that went school when I did during that 19 years will say that Nederland was always a rival. But it wasn't as intense as it got from mid 80's on after it got more competitive.During the 70's and early 80's TJ was a little more intense rivalry. Although, I will say I don't believe the PNG/TJ rivalry at it's peak was as good as the PNG/ Nederland has become.

Back on topic , I thought Vidor's rivalry was Lumberton. Vidor has also built a pretty good rivalry with Central , and I would say that is a respectful rivalry. Lots of class shown from Vidor and Central. Nothing like marathon overtime games and then seeing the two teams meet and pray together after the game.
[/quote]

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1051767" timestamp="1315462089"]
Haha riiiiiiight...  I hate when we have to play Vidor. Not because its Vidor who seems to think of Nederland as a rival, but because I don't get home until 1 a.m. Someone should tell him the games would go a little faster if he kept his &%# on the sidelines..
[/quote]

This was a positive thread created to pay respect to a man who has done a lot for the community of Vidor and the entire athletic program here, not just football.  It was somehow hijacked by GoDogs27 who started a debate on whether Vidor/ Ned was a rivalry or not.  Real classy post by the way. 

Anyway, back to point of the thread.  Jeff Mathews means a lot to this town and our kids, and I hope we have him around for a very long time.

[quote name="vhs" post="1052299" timestamp="1315533087"]
[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=87856.msg1051767#msg1051767 date=1315462089]
Haha riiiiiiight...  I hate when we have to play Vidor. Not because its Vidor who seems to think of Nederland as a rival, but because I don't get home until 1 a.m. Someone should tell him the games would go a little faster if he kept his &%# on the sidelines..
[/quote]

This was a positive thread created to pay respect to a man who has done a lot for the community of Vidor and the entire athletic program here, not just football.  It was somehow hijacked by GoDogs27 who started a debate on whether Vidor/ Ned was a rivalry or not.  Real classy post by the way. 

Anyway, back to point of the thread.  Jeff Mathews means a lot to this town and our kids, and I hope we have him around for a very long time.
[/quote]

Don't cry or pout about it. Whoever started the thread claimed he was the best AD in 20-4A. Of course this was his or her opinion, which is completely acceptable. But I, as a member of this forum, have the right to express my opinion as well as long as I do not break any rules. My opinion is that he is not the best AD or coach in 20-4A. So just because the thread was meant to be positive, nobody can counter the post? I may have some more respect for him if he showed more class on the field. As far as the rivalry thing, all I did was include that in my post but it was never the point behind my post. Other vidor people got offended by me saying that nederland doesn't consider them as a rival and started debating that. There's no debate to it though, its just the way it is. As I said, I'm sure he's a class act off the field. But I can't respect him for acting like a crybaby on the field.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1052326" timestamp="1315534682"]
[quote author=vhs link=topic=87856.msg1052299#msg1052299 date=1315533087]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't cry or pout about it. Whoever started the thread claimed he was the best AD in 20-4A. Of course this was his or her opinion, which is completely acceptable. But I, as a member of this forum, have the right to express my opinion as well as long as I do not break any rules. My opinion is that he is not the best AD or coach in 20-4A. So just because the thread was meant to be positive, nobody can counter the post? I may have some more respect for him if he showed more class on the field. As far as the rivalry thing, all I did was include that in my post but it was never the point behind my post. Other vidor people got offended by me saying that nederland doesn't consider them as a rival and started debating that. There's no debate to it though, its just the way it is. As I said, I'm sure he's a class act off the field. But I can't respect him for acting like a crybaby on the field.
[/quote]
There's no debate to it?  You may think that we are not rivals to yall but we certainly know yall are our rivals. Thats just the way it is. And as for being what you call a "crybaby" on the field hes only defending his players against questionable officiating.  That's called supporting his boys, and that's why he has their respect.  Some just sit back and watch there teams lose. Coach Mathews doesn't. He is involved in the games and has as much passion about the games as most of those kids. If you can't respect that then thats your choice. Most football fans choose to respect that. Its called passion buddy.

I can say this about Jeff Matthews.. When My twins were 5 years old and playing flag football.... we had a meet the pirates with our youth program and the high school team.... they would come to our practice field on a Thursday and hang out and watch our practice and then they would chat with the kids and hang out.... Coach Matthews would hang around and chat/coach/laugh/joke with all the kids.... He was young and you could see his passion not for the sport of football... but for the spirits of the kids.... not only the football players but the cheerleaders as well... we would all gang up and then he would give all the young ladies and  young men a pep rally talk about their upcoming games on Saturday.... he encouraged the young ones to run through the skull after the Varsity on Friday nights.... he hasn't come to Vidor and just rebuilt a program.... he didn't come to Vidor to get some experience and leave.... he didn't come to Vidor and go through the motions and haul butt.... he came to Vidor... He rolled up his sleeves and he put the passion back into a TOWN that was pretty much use to being kicked around in just about every sport.... I am born and raised Vidorian.... I graduated in '86... I have seen the 0fer years and the low point.... You can go to just about any sport in Vidor and you will see Jeff hanging around.... not because he is the AD and that is his job.... but because the man cares about every child in every sport.... i will say this ... he cares about every child in our school district and our 20-4A schools.... i have seem plenty of times after defeat stop several young men for the opposing team and give them a hand shake, a hug, a pat on the back, on the helmet, talk to them and laugh and joke.... that is passion for youth.... that is teaching that even in defeat you can be respectful!! My hats of to Jeff Matthews... year in year out he is one hell of a guy! As a poster said before... you just do not see a team gang up in the middle of the field and say  a prayer after a football game.... and I love that about him... I also love that our school board allows a student to say a prayer and sing the National Anthem before every home game!! AND BY GOD OUR HOME COMING HALFTIME IS TOPS IN THE STATE HANDS DOWN!!!!! GO BAND!!!! TWIRLERS!!!!! GO BRIGS!!!! GO CHEERLEADERS!!!! WOO HOOO!!!!

I hope Jeff stays around for another 20 yrs.... I do not think you can or will find anyone with his passion for children out there... oh i am sure there is someone somewhere that has it.... but why throw away what your looking for?

ok i will now step down off my soap box and quietly slide off into the shadows.....

Chris Comeaux

If your wondering how this thread became about Nederland GoDogs27, go back and read your first post on this thread you are the one who brought up Ned. So it seems to me your the one who thinks it always has to be about Ned. This thread had nothing to do with Ned. until you jacked the thread, it was about coach Mathews.........get over yourself man.

REALLY GoDogs27...do you need to  make yourself look childish on every post???  And you wonder why Vidor hates to play Nederland...you aren't our rivalry by any means, you are our enemy!!! 

BTW...comparing Mathews and Hooks was a waste of your time.  Hooks used to play some dirty ball, but his last 10-15 years he mellowed a lot.  Mathews has never and will never play dirty ball.  If you see one of our kids acting out, that is on their own terms.  Mathews will yank that kid out in a heartbeat.  HE MAKES THESE KIDS RESPECT EVERYONE!!!  I hope he never leaves, because these kids have learned how to respect themselves, their parents, the community and those that we compete against...and to Coach Mathews I thank you for that. 

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1052326" timestamp="1315534682"]
[quote author=vhs link=topic=87856.msg1052299#msg1052299 date=1315533087]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't cry or pout about it. Whoever started the thread claimed he was the best AD in 20-4A. Of course this was his or her opinion, which is completely acceptable. But I, as a member of this forum, have the right to express my opinion as well as long as I do not break any rules. My opinion is that he is not the best AD or coach in 20-4A. So just because the thread was meant to be positive, nobody can counter the post? I may have some more respect for him if he showed more class on the field. As far as the rivalry thing, all I did was include that in my post but it was never the point behind my post. Other vidor people got offended by me saying that nederland doesn't consider them as a rival and started debating that. There's no debate to it though, its just the way it is. As I said, I'm sure he's a class act off the field.[b] But I can't respect him for acting like a crybaby on the field.[/b]
[/quote]

So when Larry Neumann threw his headset thirty yards down the field in 2009 when he didn't get his way. Is that not acting like a crybaby? LN spends just as much time if not more on the field whining to the refs than anyone in the Golden Triangle. You should pay attention more during the games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder