my hats off to coach cornel thompson

[quote name="sig220" post="1043465" timestamp="1314567267"]
He was run out of Palestine because he was determined that the running back was going to do it Thomson's way. Team cratered. New coach came in and let the RB back on the team and ADRIAN PETERSON led them to a state championship. I give him a couple of years and then he goes the way of Clayton at Ozen.
[/quote]

Ummm... Palestine has not been to a state title game since 1964. The best AD did in HS was 2 or 3 rounds...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="baddog" post="1043512" timestamp="1314572262"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=87285.msg1043508#msg1043508 date=1314571945]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=87285.msg1043430#msg1043430 date=1314563117]
Your opponents never win, you simply lost.
[/quote]

baddog, you just described most (not all) Ned fans for the last 5 years...
[/quote]

I was wondering when you would join this party. I used to think you were one of those select few that thought your opponents never won. I have since been convinced otherwise.

If we lose, I find correctable mistakes, but still give credit where it is due.
[/quote]

I have never been one of those... It disgusts me when others do it to us and I find it equally disturbing when some of our fans do it to someone else. Bad calls happen and are as much a part of the game as injuries, that's why you handle your business so you don't leave things to chance. We didn't handle our business Friday and Ned made us pay. They always have and they always will.

Furthermore, there are a bunch of these players who read these boards and hear these adults whining about being robbed by the officials creating a victim mentality in themsleves and the kids, completely losing any accountability for what happens. When you lose accountability you stop developing as a player and a team. When that happens you cannot improve. JMO

[quote name="griff" post="1043515" timestamp="1314572361"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1043414#msg1043414 date=1314562260]
Did I say Verril Young was the right man for the job? Where did that come from? I never said Coach T isn't, but as I said Coach T and a lot of older coaches are set in their ways and refuse to realize that the game has evolved. You can't expect to do what you did 30 years ago and win a state championship. As for Toby losing, I've already stated my opinion of him, but the thing that a young coach like Toby do have is the ability to change with the times. Not stay stuck in the 80's. You guys are quick to give these coaches credit when we win, but when we lose, it's the kids fault. Give me a break. If you allow these players to do what they do best and stop taking away their strength which is speed, then they can execute because they are comfortable. I stand by what I said. I think overall the coaches did have a good game plan until they got in Nederland's territory and decided we're going to milk the clock with 5 minutes left. That's too much time left to start that. You were in scoring position...keep the pressure on Nederland to stop you, not making it easy on them by running up the middle with five yards to go. You was killing them by running it wide so running up the middle with a small back shows they wasn't banking on a first down, they went into their our defense will win it mentality. Our defense is good, but if they have been playing all game on offense as well as defense, how are they going to have anything left. Yea, they are going to miss tackles cause they are tired. Nederland you know as well as anybody else that you had no business winning that game, you were getting dominated in every area of the game until we went to milk the clock mode. Bridge city, no one is worried about you.
[/quote]
Since you were/are so critical of Coach T made me remind you of the alternative of what coulda and woulda been...Head Coach Verrill Young.  As for our defense, Coach T is set in his ways and he shouldn't change a thing.  The reason our defense played well Friday night, as in almost every year Cornel has been involved, is because of his SCHEME.  The same scheme he has been using since he took over the defense in the early 80's.  Defense ultimately is the difference when it comes to championship teams.  Don’t touch it.  As for the offense, you can't win with speed alone.  Also, we are not running an offense that was used in the 80’s.  The Pistol is something new to the game of football, and NO ONE is using it in this part of the state.  This year’s version of WO-S does not have the same passing threat as in recent years.  Right now, we are a better running team than passing team.  In the latter part of the game, we hurt ourselves with bad snaps and penalties.  We simply got out of sync and didn’t execute.  That’s what cost us as much as anything.  These are teenagers capable of making mistakes.  None of that has to do with coaching.  Plus, you refuse to credit Nederland for anything.  Even though our defense was hammering them, they did not quit.  We put some good licks on their QB, but that kid kept his composure and hit some good passes at the end.  Don’t you see that?  I hated losing this game as much as you do.  Nederland did what they had to in order to win.  Give them their due and don’t just blame everything on our side.  I’ll say it again…be patient.  We’ll be fine.   
[/quote]

Why do you keep throwing Verril Young's name out there? How do you know what kind of coach he could have been if coaches like Verril Young isn't given the opportunity. Lets not go there because I know where you are trying to go with this and you don't want to go there. I wouldn't piss people off all over again, so my suggestion to you is to leave this mans name out of this conversation because people do know who you are.
I do give credit to Nederland for never quitting and if they had just outplayed WO-S then I would say it, but that was not the case. They started coming back when we starting using all the play clock and trying to play keep away, that tactic haven't work for years. It might work against cupcake teams,but it won't work with most teams.

Ok, my take on the game:

Ned is still having problems containing the edges of the LOS against fast teams. - The DBs need to get off of the blocks and close down.
WOS' defense is still as tough as usual.
Ned need to work on the punt game .
WOS needs to bring Kicker out of retirement for PATs.  Although the guy did well on kickoffs.
Ned showed alot of heart in not giving up when the game looked like it was out of hand.
If WOS cleans up the penalties they will be fine.  BTW, it looked like the DB pushed the WR out of bounds on that catch.  It would still be a reception in that case.
Lindsey(Sp?) for WOS is a slippery little RB and disappears behind the line.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1043605" timestamp="1314580963"]
Why do you keep throwing Verril Young's name out there? How do you know what kind of coach he could have been if coaches like Verril Young isn't given the opportunity. Lets not go there because I know where you are trying to go with this and you don't want to go there. I wouldn't piss people off all over again, so my suggestion to you is to leave this mans name out of this conversation because people do know who you are.
I do give credit to Nederland for never quitting and if they had just outplayed WO-S then I would say it, but that was not the case. They started coming back when we starting using all the play clock and trying to play keep away, that tactic haven't work for years. It might work against cupcake teams,but it won't work with most teams.
[/quote]
Look...this has nothing to do with Coach Young from my standpoint, but apparently it does to you.  'Sounds like you didn't get your wish on that.  Let it go.  You have a dislike for Coach T and I'm only pointing out what the alternative would've been if we didn't have Coach T as HC.  We're in good hands with the right person running the program.  What do you mean "I know where you're trying to go"?  As far as I can tell, you and I have never met.  If we know each other, send me a PM to confirm it.  The bottom line is I refute your incorrect assessment that we were trying to sit on a lead and run out the clock.  We got a little sloppy on offense which kept us from scoring more points and helped Nederland seize an opportunity to win it at the end.  That's it.  This had nothing to do with playcalling.  They outplayed us only in the closing portion of the game, but that was enough.  It's not the first time a game has been won that way.  I choose to acknowledge Nederland's achievement and congratulated them.  You're being a sore loser and putting the blame in the wrong place.  You've jumped all over the coaches with this topic now at least three times...and it's only THE FIRST GAME!  Get over the coaching change and have some patience.  It will pay off in the end.       

Nederland hasn`t won a championship of any kind in football since 1960, and if it werent for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th place teams going to the platoffs they wouldn`t have gone to the playoffs since 1960. Ned & PNG are the only teams in the area that gets to play with 16 players, their 11 plus the five referees. hooks had a reason for not using local referees when he played them. thompson is too conservative, every coach at every level that plays "not to lose" but doesn`t play to win, always ends up losing. Go  watch the U on ESPN, Jimmy Johnson shows how the game is supposed to be played

[quote name="griff" post="1043687" timestamp="1314587422"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1043605#msg1043605 date=1314580963]
[/quote]
Look...this has nothing to do with Coach Young from my standpoint, but apparently it does to you.  'Sounds like you didn't get your wish on that.  Let it go.  You have a dislike for Coach T and I'm only pointing out what the alternative would've been if we didn't have Coach T as HC.  We're in good hands with the right person running the program.  What do you mean "I know where you're trying to go"?  As far as I can tell, you and I have never met.  If we know each other, send me a PM to confirm it.  The bottom line is I refute your incorrect assessment that we were trying to sit on a lead and run out the clock.  We got a little sloppy on offense which kept us from scoring more points and helped Nederland seize an opportunity to win it at the end.  That's it.  This had nothing to do with playcalling.  They outplayed us only in the closing portion of the game, but that was enough.  It's not the first time a game has been won that way.  I choose to acknowledge Nederland's achievement and congratulated them.  You're being a sore loser and putting the blame in the wrong place.  You've jumped all over the coaches with this topic now at least three times...and it's only THE FIRST GAME!  Get over the coaching change and have some patience.  It will pay off in the end.     
[/quote]

First of all, your the one who brought up Verril Young's name, for what reason? He's no longer at WO-S so it must have been about him from your standpoint for you to bring him up. For the record I was for coach T until some of you tried to play the intimidation game to get him the job. As I said, if the coaches going to get the credit when they win, they better be prepared to get some of the blame when they lose. You guys don't get that though, you much rather blame the players. When they are put in an uncomfortable situation when they are trying to rush to get a play off because coaches want to go into a hold the ball game with too much time left, then your going to have mistakes being made.

When you have a team tired and off balance the last thing you want to do and start slowing the game down to help them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm no sore loser and I know they will be fine because they have talent and as long as stubborn coaches don't get in their way of doing what they do best. Now we can agree to disagree, but you tried to open a can of worms by bringing up ex coaches names then trying to retract like,*comment delete by moderator* but I wasn't going to let you make it like that.

[quote name="hondo1" post="1043694" timestamp="1314588341"]
Nederland hasn`t won a championship of any kind in football since 1960, and if it werent for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th place teams going to the platoffs they wouldn`t have gone to the playoffs since 1960. Ned & PNG are the only teams in the area that gets to play with 16 players, their 11 plus the five referees. hooks had a reason for not using local referees when he played them. thompson is too conservative, every coach at every level that plays "not to lose" but doesn`t play to win, always ends up losing. Go  watch the U on ESPN, Jimmy Johnson shows how the game is supposed to be played
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name="hondo1" post="1043694" timestamp="1314588341"]
[/quote]

Get over yourself.  WOS has benefited from 2nd or 3rd on a couple of playoff appearances also.  Ned didn't quit and they beat you. 

[quote name="bigdog" post="1043734" timestamp="1314596897"]
[quote author=hondo1 link=topic=87285.msg1043694#msg1043694 date=1314588341]
Nederland hasn`t won a championship of any kind in football since 1960, and if it werent for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th place teams going to the platoffs they wouldn`t have gone to the playoffs since 1960. Ned & PNG are the only teams in the area that gets to play with 16 players, their 11 plus the five referees. hooks had a reason for not using local referees when he played them. thompson is too conservative, every coach at every level that plays "not to lose" but doesn`t play to win, always ends up losing. Go  watch the U on ESPN, JimmyJohnson shows how the game is supposed to be played
it...

Unbelievable!!!!  You guys have a new leader, sit back and enjoy the ride for this is no longer the Dan Hooks show...  Bottom line is WOS did not make the necessary adjustments at half and when you don't do that, you get BEAT!!!  Yea I know that's hard for y'all to understand....NO ONE gave this game to Nederland, they worked for it....Good Luck Mustangs you guys have a great team, it's just a different agenda now and will take some time to get used too.... ;)
[/quote]

Get over yourself.  WOS has benefited from 2nd or 3rd on a couple of playoff appearances also.  Ned didn't quit and they beat you.
[/quote]

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1043697" timestamp="1314588984"]
First of all, your the one who brought up Verril Young's name, for what reason? He's no longer at WO-S so it must have been about him from your standpoint for you to bring him up. For the record I was for coach T until some of you tried to play the intimidation game to get him the job. As I said, if the coaches going to get the credit when they win, they better be prepared to get some of the blame when they lose. You guys don't get that though, you much rather blame the players. When they are put in an uncomfortable situation when they are trying to rush to get a play off because coaches want to go into a hold the ball game with too much time left, then your going to have mistakes being made.

When you have a team tired and off balance the last thing you want to do and start slowing the game down to help them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm no sore loser and I know they will be fine because they have talent and as long as stubborn coaches don't get in their way of doing what they do best. Now we can agree to disagree, but you tried to open a can of worms by bringing up ex coaches names then trying to retract like the coward that you are, but I wasn't going to let you make it like that.
[/quote]
LOL!  You were "for Coach T [b][i]until some of you tried to play the intimidation game to get him the job[/i][/b]."  Yeah...right.  You don't like him.  You didn't want him to get the job.  It's obvious.  Thanks for making it easy to expose that. 

The players lost composure on offense in the second half.  That's the simplest way of pointing out why we lost, along with Nederland's never quit attitude.  No harsh words from me about the players.  They're kids.  They make mistakes, but their performance will get better with time and practice.  I feel good about the upcoming season.  Our defense looks fantastic and the offense is good and will get better.  I'm sorry we're no longer running "the greatest show on earth" with the spread, but that's not the offense best suited for our current players...AND...it's not the only offense that can work and win games for us.  I totally understand your frustration with losing the game.  I feel the same way.  We had that game in the bag, but Nederland gets credit for pulling it out.  Lay off the coaches a little and just give them time.  I like our chances against Friendswood. 

[quote name="griff" post="1043751" timestamp="1314617557"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1043697#msg1043697 date=1314588984]

When you have a team tired and off balance the last thing you want to do and start slowing the game down to help them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm no sore loser and I know they will be fine because they have talent and as long as stubborn coaches don't get in their way of doing what they do best. Now we can agree to disagree, but you tried to open a can of worms by bringing up ex coaches names then trying to retract like the coward that you are, but I wasn't going to let you make it like that.
[/quote]
LOL!  You were "for Coach T [b][i]until some of you tried to play the intimidation game to get him the job[/i][/b]."  Yeah...right.  You don't like him.  You didn't want him to get the job.  It's obvious.  Thanks for making it easy to expose that. 

The players lost composure on offense in the second half.  That's the simplest way of pointing out why we lost, along with Nederland's never quit attitude.  No harsh words from me about the players.  They're kids.  They make mistakes, but their performance will get better with time and practice.  I feel good about the upcoming season.  Our defense looks fantastic and the offense is good and will get better.  I'm sorry we're no longer running "the greatest show on earth" with the spread, but that's not the offense best suited for our current players...AND...it's not the only offense that can work and win games for us.  I totally understand your frustration with losing the game.  I feel the same way.  We had that game in the bag, but Nederland gets credit for pulling it out.  Lay off the coaches a little and just give them time.  I like our chances against Friendswood.
[/quote]

Griff, shut up. You don't know me. I don't dislike Coach Thompson at all, I talk to him every chance I get. It's like family, if I see something they messed up on, I'm going to say it just like I expect them to do the same with me.I don't like you though cause you and others tried to intimidate people and throw out suttle threats at people to try and get him the job and that was wrong. You can stop speculating about me because If I didn't like him, I would say it not only to you, but him also. I'm not going to agree with everything they do and I wasn't blaming them totally for the lost, but a lot of fault lies with them...Coach T said it himself.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1044418" timestamp="1314670311"]
Griff, shut up. You don't know me. I don't dislike Coach Thompson at all, I talk to him every chance I get. It's like family, if I see something they messed up on, I'm going to say it just like I expect them to do the same with me.I don't like you though cause you and others tried to intimidate people and throw out suttle threats at people to try and get him the job and that was wrong. You can stop speculating about me because If I didn't like him, I would say it not only to you, but him also. I'm not going to agree with everything they do and I wasn't blaming them totally for the lost, but a lot of fault lies with them...Coach T said it himself.
[/quote]
Too late...you've been exposed.  You were against T getting the job and that is the underlying reason for your criticism of him.  BTW...I do know who you are.  Why did you change your username?  I can't imagine you talk to Coach T very often since you live two hours from Orange.  Your comment about "suttle threats" (btw...it's spelled "subtle") is laughable.  There was a strong wave of support for Coach T and I was proud to be part of it.  Thankfully, the superintendent listened and the right choice was made. 

'Looking forward to the Friendswood game.  Go Stangs!

[quote name="griff" post="1044467" timestamp="1314672915"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1044418#msg1044418 date=1314670311]
[/quote]
Too late...you've been exposed.  You were against T getting the job and that is the underlying reason for your criticism of him.  BTW...I do know who you are.  Why did you change your username?  I can't imagine you talk to Coach T very often since you live two hours from Orange.  Your comment about "suttle threats" (btw...it's spelled "subtle") is laughable.  There was a strong wave of support for Coach T and I was proud to be part of it.  Thankfully, the superintendent listened and the right choice was made. 

[/quote]

LOL I'm glad you do know who I am, so now when you see me at the game your punk  can say what you have to say to my face. I've been exposed? How about I don't give a care who knows who I am. Because what ever I say on here, I will say to your face or anybody face. I know who you are too, so Friday you can bring your punk  to me and say what you have to say. You sound like a fool. I didn't change my name, they tried to ban me cause I tell little folks like you off. You can say what you want, but like I said if I didn't like Thompson, I would say I don't like him to his face. Don't hide behind a computer screen, say what you have to say to my face.

Warning!! Watch the language!

[quote name="bigdog" post="1043734" timestamp="1314596897"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
first of all, everyone can quit singing the praises of nederland for "not quitting" how many teams do you know of that quits` playing before the game is over, of course they didn`t quit, neither did their other 5 players, the referees, quit! so until nederland wins a championship of some sort, quit trying to brag on how many times they have been to the playoffs ect... when all they have been is 2nd, 3dr or 4th best. history is not written about the second best`s of the world

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1044477" timestamp="1314673492"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=87285.msg1044467#msg1044467 date=1314672915]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1044418#msg1044418 date=1314670311]
[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL I'm glad you do know who I am, so now when you see me at the game your punk  can say what you have to say to my face. I've been exposed? How about I don't give a care who knows who I am. Because what ever I say on here, I will say to your face or anybody face. I know who you are too, so Friday you can bring your punk  to me and say what you have to say. You sound like a fool. I didn't change my name, they tried to ban me cause I tell little folks like you off. You can say what you want, but like I said if I didn't like Thompson, I would say I don't like him to his face. Don't hide behind a computer screen, say what you have to say to my face.

[/quote]

LOL I call it like I see it.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1044485" timestamp="1314674033"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1044477#msg1044477 date=1314673492]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

MP, that wasn't just an idol admonition.  That is a warning of a rules violation.  Too many of those and the posting privileges can be taken away.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1044519" timestamp="1314677821"]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1044485#msg1044485 date=1314674033]
[quote author=mustangproud link=topic=87285.msg1044477#msg1044477 date=1314673492]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

MP, that wasn't just an idol admonition.  That is a warning of a rules violation.  Too many of those and the posting privileges can be taken away.
[/quote]

What would I ever do with SETXSports.com. Give me a break. It's funny how you sit back and let others say whatever they want, but you want to tell me something.

[quote name="hondo1" post="1044480" timestamp="1314673758"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=87285.msg1043734#msg1043734 date=1314596897]
[/quote]

[/quote]
first of all, everyone can quit singing the praises of nederland for "not quitting" how many teams do you know of that quits` playing before the game is over, of course they didn`t quit, neither did their other 5 players, the referees, quit! so until nederland wins a championship of some sort, quit trying to brag on how many times they have been to the playoffs ect... when all they have been is 2nd, 3dr or 4th best. history is not written about the second best`s of the world
[/quote]
Nederland has one less championship than WOS.  As far as calls go, they go both ways and believe me WOS has benefited from favorable calls plenty.

Here is my take....referees are human, they miss calls. Some go in favor and some dont. I do recall a blatant holding by Nederland that wasnt called but also remember a blatant hold by WOS that wasnt called. The point is that the refs let the kids play. When you are playing a team like Nederland, you cant make mistakes. Obviously it bit us. Coach T had a great gameplan and we will be getting better and better. Losing to the Dogs is alot differentr than losing to an inferior team. Those boys in Mid- County can flat out play ball. We are fine guys...we lost a close, hard nosed game. Nederland is good and so are we. On paper, Nederland SHOULD win. We have been on the winning side of the series for quite a while it was just Ned's time. Both teams are going to make some noise this season and I look forward to following both. Now lets go beat up on some other Mustangs.....I mean seriously, who wears baby blue?? lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder